Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your biggest MMO disappointment?

Comments

• mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Jumpgate Evolution- I was so pumped for that game.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• DjuchadeDjuchade Member Posts: 29
    GW2 definitely, after played nearly 2000 hours as my necro I gave up. Game with so much potential and a lot of awesome ideas, ruined by devs adding a new hats to gemstore and temporary content instead of upgrading and balancing the current GAME.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by DMKano

Biggest - Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning (Mythic/EA)

The game was hyped as much as EQN is right now, and it was SO bad, ugh.

Yep, pretty much this one for me.  I was hoping for a spiritual successor for DAOC and instead they gave us a game that was far too heavily influenced by WOW's designs rather than their earlier title.

Didn't help that they were forced to rush it out the door either.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Star Trek Online.  Had so much hope and was so utterly disappointed.  Recently I would have to say SWTOR.
  • TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185

WAR.

It was a disappointment on almost every level, but the biggest disappointment with it was that it could be worked with and fixed and never was. EA held on to their money and resources tightly and it became quickly apparent that they forced WAR out early to make up for Mythic profit loss that year.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

I did some counting, and I can tell you that SW:TOR is far ahead in the lead of "biggest MMO disapointment".

The second, but far behind, is the move from SWG to NGE tied with Warhammer Online.

Could it be that Star Wars is cursed MMO wise? ;-)

I think the expectations and desirers are much higher for Star Wars than any other franchise.  They have made many poor SW games, but the hope is someone will step up and create the feelings we got in SW Knights of the old republic.

• OfficialFlowOfficialFlow Member Posts: 111
    the whole genre became a dissapointment when it stopped evolving and progressing and that wont change for another 10 years
  • KaniverKaniver Member UncommonPosts: 110

1.  SWTOR - Really disappointing

2. GW2 - So many good ideas as a package  again disappointing

3. AC2 - Why they deviated so far from the original I will never understand

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    GW2 hands down.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    SWTOR. I should've known better given the telltale signs leading up to launch, but still.... it's freaking STAR WARS.
  • NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

There have been so many disappointments, but I think the one that really hit home the most was Age of Conan.  That was the game that basically taught me to stop allowing my hopes to be invested in MMO's.  They are always overhyped and they are never, absolutely never, ever worth the wait.

Age of Conan was it, man.  I truly thought it was going to be this righteous and brutal Blade of Darkness ( http://www.gog.com/gamecard/blade_of_darkness ) experience.  For five years, FIVE YEARS, they teased us and talked about all the stuff that would be in the game and how hardcore it was going to be.  And when it released... all anyone could wonder was, "What happened to all this stuff you talked about?"

My next biggest disappointment would have had to have been SWTOR.  But... not for typical reasons.  Basically... I just expected better from Bioware.  I was expecting way more innovation of mechanics, a more living game world, and much deeper story that wasn't afraid to challenge the way you thought about things.  What we got was WoW, with an even more static/predictable world, and a very boring story whose only saving grace was the fact that it was voice acted pretty well.  On a technical standpoint, I can't really find it to be an overall bad game.... I just expected better from Bioware is all.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Horizons...such a cool concept but the game was a huge buggy mess.

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134

well actually WoW..

I loved the original warcraft games and likely spent thousands of hours with them.

Nonetheless I just couldn't find myself in the gameplay of WoW. 

Plus it got so overhyped and rubbed in your face it actually got extremely annoying >.<

Nearly stopped me from playing MMO's all together, aside from GW1 that is.

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

The shutdown of CoX.  I had just spoken to the wife about getting back on board a week before they said they were closing.  I was just waiting for a day off so I could start the DL and get back at it.  I was even going to pay for the character unlocks so I could play my mastermind again. 

Screw NCSoft.  Last time I get anything through them.  SOE may be trash, but they at least tend to float their games forever.  I mean, SWG had like 50K players for years before it got trashed...and even then it was only so that LA could release SWTOR without competition.  IF SOE can find a way to keep a game with so few players around then I see no reason why NC could not do so when it not only had more players but also more profit (F2P really helped that).

• Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378
    In general of all mmorpg games:  Quest Design and Combat System.

Kain_Dale

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Vanguard.......too many reasons!
  • ChawkChawk Member UncommonPosts: 16

One of my biggest disappointment was Pirates of the Burning Sea.  I was so looking forward to a good pirate themed game, and this just didn't do it for me. 

Also SWTOR was a bummer.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by Chawk

One of my biggest disappointment was Pirates of the Burning Sea.  I was so looking forward to a good pirate themed game, and this just didn't do it for me. 

I think I'd go with PotBS as well...

Mostly because it really could have been a great game that came out of no where.

• junglebeastjunglebeast Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Neverwinter. That game was full of holes. After a week or so it became very boring at end level.

You know when you play too much MMO's when your partners pants have become a rare drop.

• DarkVergilDarkVergil Member Posts: 73
    Wow, this thread has reminded me of all the games WoW has just abolished. I mean really, it's simple logic people, if you want your mmo to succeed, instead of trying to compete with WoW, make it completely different than WoW.
  • Xav_MMOXav_MMO Member UncommonPosts: 49

I've been disappointed by many MMO's for a variety of reasons. Running out of stuff to do, too grindy, game just "stops," whatever.

But one MMO truly stands apart when considering worst:

Final Fantasy XIV.

That game was so utterly awful that they obviously had to rebuild it. I've been playing MMOs since 1999, and RPGs for years prior to that. It wasn't even really broken or buggy. It was just so conceptually wrong in every way as to be mind-blowing.

My 2nd would be SW:ToR - Amazing single-player (but only once) experience, that just hurled you into a brick wall when it finished. Sadly, Neverwinter is close on its heels.

• RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143

Honestly, Every MMO since the first one I played, and then the first one I played when I went back to it.

• LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87

Really, "all MMOs were disappointing" is getting a bit old. I liked many, but none kept me around for any length of time. Not like the CoH/SWG/Vanilla WOW games did. I think the publishers are just pandering to statistics rather than actually crafting a good game, and feel the need to develop thousands of features which, frankly speaking, don't need to exist (despite the cries of the unwashed masses) when it's released.

That being said, I do believe there was a turning point in the industry that embodied that mindset coming to the fore. Every one has one; SWTOR for some, NGE for others, NWO for yet others.

Mine, I'm afraid to say, was Age of Conan. I was a closed beta tester, and I must say, the initial offering was by far better than what went to release. The spellcasting combos. the adventure, the real sense of being in Hyboria, all wrecked by last-minute changes. This differs from other games (like SWTOR) in that it wasn't hyped. It WAS good. Then, come release day, instead of finishing off the rough parts and fleshing out the later part of the game, it was just pushed to gold and the existing mechanics dumbed down.

I remember the initial storyline, before the release version, where you had to figure stuff out. Combat wasn't hard, but it was challenging in the starting areas. Once the changes occurred there for lack of development time, and dumbing the game down or even trying to get it to a "teen" rating (for a Conan game?), all publisher decisions, things went south. Even dismemberment and gore was pretty much gone from the game.

And, I hate to say it, but what is Hyboria without half-naked wenches, non-consensual romantic interaction and random acts of bloody violence? Conan was the work of a very disturbed, dark person (Howard), and while they captured the landscape well, past that it was watered down into practically a cartoon version.

Saddest thing about it was that the points I note above were in the game before release and open beta. Developers sold out to publishers who wanted it in Wal-Mart.

I truly believe that publishers being involved in development are the root of all evil in the gaming industry.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    TERA, Defiance, and FFXIV (haven't played ARR yet).

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by Lanessar

Really, "all MMOs were disappointing" is getting a bit old.

It might be old, but at least in my case it's a true statement. I thought about what my biggest disappointment and realized it was every game I tried in succession after I left my original mmo. And then, going back, I was disappointed with the original one. I suspect there's a psychology to that.

I also suspect that no MMO will every satisfy me, and that maybe my MMO days should be at an end.