Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your biggest MMO disappointment?

Comments

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    SWTOR. I was actually hoping for WoW in space, they couldn't even get that right.
  • davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    gw2
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Anarchy Online

disclaimer: I only played during their launch month

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

GW2 - I wasn't really super hyped, but the world felt cluttered with quest type things, it felt like every step I was tripping over tasks and such...I also didn't like any of the classes I played.  I admit that I did not give it much of a chance, but it really turned me off.

WAR - This would be #2, I really had high hopes for this, and was one of the only times I actually was hyped for something....I still did play it for a while, just couldn't see how they didn't put better rvr type systems into place...They also had the worst crafting in a mmo that I can remember at launch.

TOR isn't on my list, because I didn't think from what I was hearing that it would be that good, I did get a little bit of hope, when actual players were proclaiming that once you got higher level the worlds opened up, and it felt more SWGish exploring wise....Well that never happened.  I played my free month, and felt I got my money worth.  I wouldn't of kept playing if it was free with no cash shop though, I was done.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Jeyhu
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz
    I'd have to go with GW2. It was so promising but the lack of skills, mixing classes, no rewards after level 80, and pseudo action combat really wasn't what I thought it was gonna be. No sub so worth the purchase but it felt very average.

I can agree with lack of skills, the weapon sets needed to be more.  Devs have said they are adding in more skills and traits, eventually weapons to solve that.  Mixing of the classes was a huge part of the imbalance of GW1, so I'm glad that's gone.  No rewards after level 80?  That's complete BS though.  If you mean no gear treadmill that changes 4 times a year then ya I agree.  However, I've received tons of new weapon skins, armor, and other items that are rewards I got as a level 80.

Just because something doesn't have a +2 attached to it, doesn't mean it's not a reward.

Biggest let down for me was SWTOR, biggest future let down will be ESO.

Guild Wars 1 had large imbalances with the cross classes however they seem to have more issues balancing Guild Wars 2 now then they did back in Guild Wars 1. 

That's cause all the talent at ANet has long since left ... ;)

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by Cristina1

Err, people who actually pay attention, like me, knew that SWTOR is going to be just WoW with Star wars skins. You could read this in their dev blogs. People just chose to ignore all that and were expecting SWG 2.0....that is their fault though not developer's.

With a crystal ball, maybe? The game was really not very open to the public.

While I expected it to be in a similar vein to WoW, what I didn't expect was a crappy product. Half the problem with games that copy WoW is that they do it badly and are garbage compared to WoW itself, which doesn't make any sense. WoW had open areas, many zones and progression paths for many classes, WoW was generally free-form and open. SW:TOR really doesn't share that much with Vanilla WoW at the end of the day, it would have been a better game if it did.

I didn't even know what SWG was at the time.

The manner in which the game was advertised was quite misleading. They reported lots of unique storylines while the majority of quests were shared between classes. Planets were far more stratified than expected. They talked a lot about fighting large amounts of small enemies. Game didn't even launch with proper textures I recall...

It was just shoddy. Never mind that you cloned another game, at least bother to try to live up to the bare minimum that that game offered...

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• xxxxxx1xxxxxx1 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    GW2 without a doubt. It was fun in the starting zone until I went to another zone. It felt rehash all over again and I just stopped playing.
  • BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by ShortyBible

The Secret World: Followed this one for quite awhile. Then they announced Box price,

Subscription and Cash Shop. I stopped following and never looked back.

I've played TSW since release and have never used the cash shop. Go figure. In that light, your objection seems kind of silly, but to each his own.  

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont really have one biggest mmo disappointment. All of them have something that i really dislike, but to say its a biggest disappointment i cant think of any. I think that title would fit any mmorpg that forces me to point and click (no WASD).

On the other hand, I can tell you my biggest mmo success since WoW, its called GW2. Everything else still tries to copy wow mechanics and come out as poop.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    SW:TOR for me. As a big fan of Star Wars and not having gotten the chance to play SWG, this was my one hope for a good Star Wars MMO. Instead what I got was poop.

Smile

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191

GW2

but in a special way Vanguard was an even bigger disappointment because it showed its huge potential but at the same time it couldn't make use of it

• deerstopdeerstop Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Most recently - Ragnarok Online 2. I was really looking forward to it T_T

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Guild Wars 2

I love how it looks in writing, but in the game I feel like theres no goals to be had. the abilities could quickly be unlocked, most of the gear was simply meh in appearance and itemization, crafting was a wreck.

the dungeons are filled with res spawning to take out bosses, most of which are buggy most of the time. i actaully started a guild for the game prior to launch. it broke my heart that it wasnt in me to play it

• niiniichanniiniichan Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by deerstop
    Most recently - Ragnarok Online 2. I was really looking forward to it T_T

I second this... image

Play now! Sleep later...

• BesCirgaBesCirga Member Posts: 806
    When asked what my biggest MMO disappointment was, I used to say that it was closure of Asheron's Call 2 servers. But, as they are again online, I am gonna answer WAR - they didn't do anything right with it except the artwork. I will also throw in Lotro Moria expansion; that was garbage.  
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

What was your biggest MMO disappointment?

The way this genre changed after World of Warcraft, had fun with some but never gotten that virtual world feel instead I get a common online combat game feel.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    My biggest? Not sure. I can list many though- SWTOR, Diablo 3, Aion, Defiance, STO, WAR, RIFT

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by Hatefull
    Originally posted by eccoton
    The switch from SWG to SWG-NGE. What the hell were they thinking! For me a game at release that I was very disappointed with was LOTRO. While I think it is a good game and I played on and off for years, it was not the sandbox that I hoped it could be. I really would love a LOTR sandbox game in the way SWG was. I want to live in the Shire and be a gardener!

SWG - to SWG-NGE for me as well.

and SWTOR...what were they thinking?  Waste of an IP, a terrible waste.

To be honest, if we had an updated version of the NGE right now, it's still a thousand times more interesting a game than most everything else on the market, IMO.  I'd prefer a modern version of pre-NGE of course.

Agreed, even considering NGE was the greatest blunder this side of ET IMO.

+1

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

WAR, because I actually thought it would be good.

I'd say STO, but it was Cryptic.  I didn't have high expectations. 

Then there's GW2.  But at least I had fun levelling a couple of toons to 80l

Shadowbane is up there too, but it had a decent run.

WAR must have been the biggest disappointment.  Just totally failed to live up to the hype in every way.

• lwgt12lwgt12 Member Posts: 30
    I dont have the biggest one, but I disappoint with the current MMOs that basically look the same. This year's E3 gave me a clear and direct look at next-gen games, but sadly, none of them was MMO. 
  • lwgt12lwgt12 Member Posts: 30
    I dont have the biggest one, but I disappoint with the current MMOs that basically look the same. This year's E3 gave me a clear and direct look at next-gen games, but sadly, none of them was MMO.
  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I am torn between Aion and GW2.

• KabonKabon Member UncommonPosts: 78

Every new Mmorpg after EQ dissapointed ( while certainly being blue eyed for it it made alot things right)

Todays Mmorpgs feel like easy mode, solo games soloing is more rewarding than grouping in games today and  the only purpose to group is to gain a tad better gear to reach max lvl = not fun ...in EQ better gear meant faster Character progression even at max lvl.

Themepark running from quest to quest to lvl without any meaning anymore. I h8 the overwhelming ammount of quests in todays games. Youre Grinding quests on a path given by the quest guys to lvl up ,soon you start to feel like a robot killing 5 bear cubs then run back hand in kill 6 scorpions run back hand in ding ding a green common tunika and 3 silver there you go. Everyone gets the same rewards everyone does the same progression to lvl up at the end everyone is exactly the same noone varies, i want to be special but i cannot feel special this way.

Since quests are the  best way to progress you have to do them .. i rather find a nice spot and train mysellf by killing stuff with the chance for a rare enemy to appear / discover. Thats no longer existant and if there are rares they arent rare more like 100% spawn rate and dont drop anything really meaningfull. Wheres my run 20% faster item or my damage shield clicky or my regen 1000 hps in 20 mins clicky or even a special attack you gain whatvever.

You cant do anything wrong Character progression wise these days. Id like to be able to gimp my character so bad he cant even kill a lvl 1 mob at lvl 60 80 or whatever :) i want meaninfull Character Progression. Since im a Minmaxxer id like to fiddle around with builds and try what works best for me at the same time i would enjoy if there was not just one best way.

in Short No Meaningfull Character Customization no need to gain power at max lvl beside raiding + general soloability being better over grouping = Downfall of all the new MMorpgs

I want to feel special i want to be 1 of a kind i dont want to be the same copy clone Character player 2-4000 has

YOU HAVE ALL FAILED TO DELIVER NEW MMORPG s

• BulveighBulveigh Member UncommonPosts: 39

the bigges disappointment in the history of mankind IMHO is : Horizons!

Some might remember, is was hyped as the ultra cool open world "do everything you want" sandbox game with completely different gameplay for each race! Angels living in a Sky city, deamons able to control other players, dragons which are unbelivable hard to play.... They even intruduced a vampire race which is only able to play at night and needs to bite players to get stronger..

and what did we get? a non PvP quest grinder...

They changed the entire game fron 1 day to the other and the players didnt even recognize :D

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    When they raped SWG by implementing the CU followed by the lolNGE.