Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timing of Archeage NA its worst enemy?

KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

Hi All,

Someone on Archeage Source posted a tweet from one of the Trion guys stating that NA wouldn't even see the game in a beta stage before the end of Summer at earliest.  Do you think the continued waiting for a Western Release of Archeage, coupled with the fact that there are multiple triple A titles slated for release at the end of year is going to hurt the chances for this title to really ever get the support it needs from the player base to survive?

For me, its one of the only theme parks that I can actually sit down and enjoy so unless EQN comes out from left field as the Sandbox Saviour, it won't matter for me what releases cause I am loving AA right now and I am not even playing NA version.  But theme park lovers have a plethora of other games to choose from if expected release dates are correct, like FF XiV Reborn, Wildstar etc.  Do you think this will affect the overall success for NA release of Archeage or the continued player base needed to make a game like Archeage work when going against other huge power houses in the western market??

[mod edit] I was just curious what some of the other gamers here think.  More importantly what some of the hard core themepark players who have so many options coming down the pipe.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

Comments

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Historically "Eastern" MMOs havent done that well in the "Western" market.

So yes waiting is about as stupid is as stupid does.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    yes.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    If it releases before EQN it has a decent shot but if it's like at the same time or shortly after it's going to take a big hit, unless EQN just sucks which I doubt if both this site and TTH are talking about it like they have been.  It's already got the disadvantage of being a localized asian mmo - and while I'm sure plenty of people don't care there are a lot who do and will already be somewhat uninterested because of that and the reputation that asian mmo's have here in the west
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

Hi All,

Someone on Archeage Source posted a tweet from one of the Trion guys stating that NA wouldn't even see the game in a beta stage before the end of Summer at earliest.  Do you think the continued waiting for a Western Release of Archeage, coupled with the fact that there are multiple triple A titles slated for release at the end of year is going to hurt the chances for this title to really ever get the support it needs from the player base to survive?

For me, its one of the only theme parks that I can actually sit down and enjoy so unless EQN comes out from left field as the Sandbox Saviour, it won't matter for me what releases cause I am loving AA right now and I am not even playing NA version.  But theme park lovers have a plethora of other games to choose from if expected release dates are correct, like FF XiV Reborn, Wildstar etc.  Do you think this will affect the overall success for NA release of Archeage or the continued player base needed to make a game like Archeage work when going against other huge power houses in the western market??

Timing doesn't matter for me.  I rather they take as long as necessary to release a quality product. A great game is a great game, but thats all going to come down to personal opinion. I just hope they don't change it (read: dumb it down) for NA audiences, but I doubt it.

I'm waiting for the game that doesn't compromise what it is to satisfy what gamers claim it isn't.

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372
    If its a  real quality title release timing shouldn't make a big deal in the long run.  If it is just ok, than release timing could have an impact. 
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

It's worst enemy in my opinion is the immersion breaking junk they are throwing in it. I know thats an eastern thing, but it will definetely keep me away from it.

Unless they take all that out. Then i'll show my support by snagging a copy. Safe to say, i think, that they wont.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

I think releasing at the same time as other certainly won't help. I'd have tried to get it out sooner rather than later providing it was ready.

• NempharNemphar Member Posts: 5

I dont think the wait will affect the playerbase at all, since Trion havent done much to market the game to begin with. It would only affect us who are aware of the game, really.. I would say we're the minority of the expected playerbase. They have a great chance to time their marketing, since the game is basicly ready for release.

They're ambushing all the other mmorpgs!

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Timing has nothing to do with this, as long as its a good game, it will be successful. 
  • KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265
    thanks all for the great replies =)

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am interested in AA, but at the same time I am interested in EQN, so if they are going to release at about the same time, and I really like what I see from EQN, I probably wont get around to playing AA.  I do not game jump or play multiple mmos at the same time generally.

Their would have to probably be over a 3 month difference in release, then again, I could hate what EQN shows and then it wouldn't matter for me, as I want nothing to do with the mmos listed in the OPs thread, besides EQN possibly. 

So if EQN looks good, it would be bad timing, if it looks bad, then they probably got my business no matter the time.

• woolf14woolf14 Member UncommonPosts: 23

Guys the truth is that even if it doesn't become a success there will always be enough players to make the game enjoyable. That depends on how many servers they launch too, but seing  worse mmo's have good player base even without them being success makes this a fact.

To me, that is better since only interested players will stay on this game, not people who just want to waste some of their time and then leave this mmorpg few days after.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Waiting wont really change the quality of the game unless it's Asian developer makes it a better game. Trion is only going to be the publisher and handle any westernization the patches need.

Like every other westernized asian mmo, it's at the mercy of what it's developers do.

As far as other games go, no matter when they launch the best game is getting most of the people.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Xthos

I am interested in AA, but at the same time I am interested in EQN, so if they are going to release at about the same time, and I really like what I see from EQN, I probably wont get around to playing AA.  I do not game jump or play multiple mmos at the same time generally.

Their would have to probably be over a 3 month difference in release, then again, I could hate what EQN shows and then it wouldn't matter for me, as I want nothing to do with the mmos listed in the OPs thread, besides EQN possibly. 

So if EQN looks good, it would be bad timing, if it looks bad, then they probably got my business no matter the time.

Yeah, like you I'm likely between AA and EQN.

I was thinking I'd see AA first but now I have no idea.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

Hi All,

Also, I know this place is troll central on the web, when you talk about this site on any other site it gets laughed at for being the armpit of the internet, but can we please understand this question isn't a troll question but one I was just curious what some of the other gamers here think.  More importantly what some of the hard core themepark players who have so many options coming down the pipe.

So Archeage has the potential to build upon within it's core. This is already evident since they are adding various abilities to players skills such as animal husbandry. This is a very rich sandbox environment that will blow away all other current sandboxes.

It is also very important to note several things about the upcomming games. WildStar is basically World of Warcraft with high tech added on, cranked up to 10, then even more cartoony with player housing.

FF XiV Reborn is very heavy in it's own lore and style as well, which is not for everyone.

EQ Next we know little about still. I have alot of hopes for it. It may turn out to be the one MMO to take out WoW and become the new champ again like it was back in the first years of EQ.

Alot of players have been alienated by the fact ArcheAge released in a language they don't know. However, if Trion Devs do it justice in the port and really nail it, ArcheAge might start big here with the proper marketing and blow up.

I think it really comes down to EQ Next vs ArcheAge for me and alot of other gamers. The Hardcore elements of Sandbox style when done correctly can be amazing. Since you are playing it, maybe you can tell me how the group combat or dungeons feel to you. I am very curious.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by tbox
    If its a  real quality title release timing shouldn't make a big deal in the long run.  If it is just ok, than release timing could have an impact. 

exactly, eventually these games have to stand on their own merits, not just being the 'new shiny' between other big releases (or between major WoW patches, as used to happen)

• deerstopdeerstop Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I was super exited about this game a couple of years ago, but now... Meh. There are so many great games to look forward to, such as Elder Scrolls Online, Black Desert. Why wait for AA? =  I'm just tired of waiting.

• Black-MagicBlack-Magic Member UncommonPosts: 103
    I have to say that waiting sucks BUT if the game comes out as quality then the wait is okay. Its all up to Trion Worlds to do the job of making it a pro release, and good luck to them because I personally think this game could be great if handled properly.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Toxia

It's worst enemy in my opinion is the immersion breaking junk they are throwing in it. I know thats an eastern thing, but it will definetely keep me away from it.

Unless they take all that out. Then i'll show my support by snagging a copy. Safe to say, i think, that they wont.

Pretty much this.  I just do not get the Asian culture and nor do I ever care too, they are as different as you can get from Western culture but that's not a bad thing, it just means it isn't my type of game.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Well there aren't really any AAA mmo titles slated for 2013 anymore, but unfortunately for Archeage I would think it won't release 2013 either.  Sure Wildstar hasn't said anything official but based on how far along they are with their testing and so forth I don't think there is any way they are coming out this year.  Add the speculation of Everquest Next likely dropping late this year (maybe) or early next year (probably somewhat likely), along with ESO and Wildstar and yeah, Archeage is probably going to be up against a lot of competition.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I think both games offer a huge amount.

However, the game that releases first is probably going to make the largest wave..

Each game has it's own playstyle though, so I'll be playing them both.... but for some others, game investment is easily obtained!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78

Don't worry, I won't miss you. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123

I'm sure someone will replace your oh-so-important presence.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I don't think timing is a key to the games success

-dumbed down crafting.....scheduled keep fights ...for me ...have greatly diminished my interest....And I wish it weren't so.

• Dornin34Dornin34 Member Posts: 14
    What makes me doubtful about this game is Trion. I really have almost no confidence in them at this point. That strange sudden dropping the ball on warface, Defiance is a flop, they had to make rift f2p to keep that ship from sinking. They just keep closing offices and losing on every level. It is hard to imagine them getting AA out in any reasonable time frame if even at all. It looks like an interesting game, but I'm not holding my breath that's for sure.