Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on Defiance ?

jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104

Just how good is Defiance ?  I see the review rating on this site is 6.6 but the user rating comes in at 7.8 ... the game looks interesting, but I am not so sure.  Would like to hear what the rest of you think about it ...

Comments

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Run away...

It's a shallow cash grab. Limited content. You'll be bored in 3 weeks with a case of buyer's remorse.

IMHO.
  • BJC289BJC289 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    got it when it came out. grew stale quick. small world, tons of hackers in pvp and no real video options to make the game high quality. i used sweetFX and it made it look 2-3x better. but still..not enough variety on weapons. if you are one who likes alot of variety and depth in zones, items, and in missions..i dont think youll like it. i came back and tried it again and couldnt play it for more than a hour. yeah theres tons of trial type things to do but those arent anything special. while they take alot of time to do...it just doesnt seem like anything in the game is enough to hold my interest after ive done it all. maybe its just me. but i think the game isnt worth buying. wish i hadnt bought it at release.
  • jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Thank you for the warnings

• JakzyJakzy Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley
    Run away...

It's a shallow cash grab. Limited content. You'll be bored in 3 weeks with a case of buyer's remorse.

IMHO.

This.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Steam had it for pretty dang cheap,like $10 bucks or something..

3 weeks of play for 10 bucks aint bad.

• JakzyJakzy Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by tank017

Steam had it for pretty dang cheap,like $10 bucks or something..

3 weeks of play for 10 bucks aint bad.

2 pizzas ain't bad either, plus they wont waste my time =)

ok I have to be honest, the game might be worth 10 bucks, it ain't that bad..

• Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I agree with the above posts. I played the free weekend, it was fun but I'll wait for it to go f2p.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Games is totally worth 10 bucks if you can get it cheap, wouldn't buy it full price.

I played it for about 2 weeks and really enjoyed it.

• KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626

its a tech demo they are charging people money to play

wouldnt be the first time, dont expect the servers to be up for more than a year. lol, its so bad

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

The game is well worth even the release price, if you can get it cheaper it's a bargain. You're not going to live in Defiance for the rest of your life.. why some people even want to do that with a game is beyond me, it's a disgusting way to live.

Anyway.. how much value do you put on an hour of your life? You'll get at LEAST 25 hours of fun from this game. Maybe A LOT more. Most play for 50+ hours. Some over 500 hours.

The only people who complain about the content are those that seem to want a game that lasts forever at hardly any cost. These people are the wrong type to be getting advice from.

Anyway, there's a 72 hour trial now isn't there? Try it out.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Vannor

The game is well worth even the release price, if you can get it cheaper it's a bargain. You're not going to live in Defiance for the rest of life.. why some people even want to do what with a game is beyond me, it's a disgusting way to live.

Anyway.. how much value do you put on an hour of your life? You'll get at LEAST 25 hours of fun from this game. Maybe A LOT more. Most play for 50+ hours. Some over 500 hours.

The only people who complain about the content are those that seem to want a game that lasts forever at hardly any cost. These people are the wrong type to be getting advice from.

This. The game is no different then any other game, some love it some hate it. But like the poster above states , you get a good amounth of time played from it. Ive heared someone managed to complete the story in 12 hours (by skipping every single side-missing, arkfall and pvp) , which still is a good deal considering most (single) games complete the story in 2-4 hours.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Its a decent game,  and at a good price now.  I think you should give it a shot.
  • SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Panthien
    Originally posted by Vannor

The game is well worth even the release price, if you can get it cheaper it's a bargain. You're not going to live in Defiance for the rest of life.. why some people even want to do what with a game is beyond me, it's a disgusting way to live.

This. The game is no different then any other game, some love it some hate it. But like the poster above states , you get a good amounth of time played from it. Ive heared someone managed to complete the story in 12 hours (by skipping every single side-missing, arkfall and pvp) , which still is a good deal considering most (single) games complete the story in 2-4 hours.

Most single player games are not completed in 2-4 hours, you are being ridiculous.

6 hours sometimes for trash like Call Of Duty and Battlefields limited single player, but most big games average out around 11-13 hours or so. There are many single player games that take much longer than that average.

• AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69

I bought Defiance when it was on sale on steam for $14 last week. I booted it up with a friend and we played for about six hours. It was fun at first but it got very repetitive as it seemed pretty much all the events and quests were very similar. All the fights seemed to be hold down your trigger until the thing in front of you is dead and enemies were very bullet spongy. Fighting elite monsters that are just clones of the regular ones took many more bullets to bring down. Even on regular enemies sometimes pointblank shotgun blasts weren't enough for a one hit KO. I'm not saying I want the game to be easy I'm just saying that extra health is a cheap way to make a game more difficult. The only motivations to keep playing are 1) To see the story, which in my opinion is pretty meh or 2) To collect bigger and better guns. But whats the point of getting the better guns if you are just going to be holding the trigger down until the thing is dead.

If you can find it cheap it MIGHT be worth the pickup. But I'm just telling you my experience with the game and I feel that there are many free to play games that could hold your attention better than Defiance.

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• CeppanaCeppana Member UncommonPosts: 23

How exactly is this game a "money grab"? It is a decent game, not bad or great, just average. Playtime depends purely how you like to play, as someone said that if you rush through the game it can take 12 hours or so to complete. Which is about same as full price games which costs 60euros. Defiance is only 20 euros retail price atm (was half of that with steam sales), so I would say it is really worth the money. 

There is alot what you can do, if you like pvp there is 6v6,8v8 and Shadow wars (64v64 I think), then there is race trials which you can complete, then there is arkfalls (minor and major), side quests, main quests and episodic quests. There is alot of weapon choices (combat shotguns, sawed-off shotguns, pump action shotguns, LMG's, rocket launchers and many more), also not only different kind of weapons, each weapon themselve can have different ammo (for example exploding shotgun shells, well its actually grenades that shotgun launches). 

The gameplay is pretty much standard third person shooter style, in MMO like Defiance it can get repetitive, but all MMO's are repetitive. 

Just my thoughts about Defiance, if you want more "professional" opinions, you should check AngryJoe's and TotalHalibut's first looks/impressions about the game. I found AngryJoe's one enjoyable and after playing Defiance I have exactly same feelings about the game.

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

Well, to sum it up...

Me and my GF bought it on Steam's sale. We love Sci-fi and found the Tv-series interesting (as well as the premise of the game). We started playing with the mindset that it couldn't be as bad as we've heard... but it was worse.

It's a buggy mess, and no matter how little we paid for it - it was too much.

For your own sake, don't even think you should give this game a chance... Save your money and your sanity.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

I decided to give the trial a go. Downloaded it last week and hopped in. The character creation is horribly shallow, there really aren't many options to distinguish yourself against others, so I immediately knew it wasn't going to be for me but continued on. I got into the game world and it feels good enough and all, but when I got to the combat - it just wasn't doing it for me.

I think all-in-all, I probably spent an hour in the game. I'm probably not going to be the best choice of review for you. There will be others who will be far more knowledgeable, but I tried it and I really just couldn't do it.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    If you want Defiance to be a traditional MMORPG you'll be terribly disappointed. However, if you know its not and youre just looking for something to break up the monotony of what is now considered the norm in the genre, you might like it. I got it when it first came out and I dont regret buying it (I still jump in weekly) but I knew it wasnt an 'mmo' but a big multiplayer third person shooter. Plus I never get tired of running over enemies in my vehicle, Its my highest rated weapon.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Here was my experience:

day 1 -3  - wow this is pretty awesome!

day 4-7 - hmmm this game is kind of monotonous and the quests are horrible

week 2 - are pursuits really supposed to be content?  I'm already done with all the story quests (keep in mind I am a SLOW leveler in mmos).  And everything else is getting old really quick

week 3 - forced myself to play some

week 4 - uninstall and never looked back

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

As you will already realised, it's got no longevity. You run through the missions, some of the side attractions and you're likely to be done with the game after a few weeks. However, it's a lot of fun while it lasts and the amount of game time you get for your money compares very favourably with the average single player game. I never needed to use the cash shop once  but completed every single main and side mission before quitting.

Definitely worth the money but don't expect a typical mmo that you'll be playing for months or years.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    HA, when I said this game was shallow and would not last more then a month everyone griefed me for it. Bet none of those that game me shit are still playing.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Pass.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Redcor
    HA, when I said this game was shallow and would not last more then a month everyone griefed me for it. Bet none of those that game me shit are still playing.

I was waiting for this guy, because there is always some Cassandra who knows it all and has to make sure we all knew about it. We all know, dude....

The game is what it is, if it's worth $10 or $30 or $60 is up to you -- it is still very buggy for being so far down the line from release, it is very repetitive, but I picked it up on sale and played it most of the weekend. It won't last very long, but there is no subscription, I haven't been inundated with cash shop grabs and cash shop limitations, and it has been fun for $10.

If nothing else just to see how the story lines up with the TV show - past that I probably won't touch it again until Season 2.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I like the game, but it gets boring fast. With it being a Trion game, I am sure it will eventually be a nice game. So, I am just taking a break from it until they get things lined out.
  • A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276

i though it was okay, if u got friends to play with or find ppl to play with ingame it makes it alot better,

anyway there is a free trial on the pc for it at the moment, so its all good to try,

peronsaly id give it 7/10

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(