Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Saying Goodbye to Beta 3

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The third beta phase for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is in the books now and players who've taken part are having to wait for the commencement of beta 4 to re-enter the game. We've got a beta 3 wrap report to share that you won't want to miss if you're keen to know more about the upcoming relaunch of the game. Read more before leaving your thoughts in the comments.

The FFXIV:ARR beta has been one of the more pleasant betas I have experienced.  The stability of the game has been quite good.  The systems made available to players are very well done.  There are very few placeholder systems in place and the ones that exist are often there to keep the story fresh for launch.

Read more of Ryahl Smith's Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Saying Goodbye to Beta 3.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    My guess is August 9th.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    My guess is August 9th.

I concur, after the producer letter on the 8th.

• pl3dgepl3dge Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Really looking forward to this. Thanks to the Steam sale I should be able to keep myself occupied until Open Beta :)

• BlackaftermathBlackaftermath Member Posts: 32
    if we were in beta 3, does this mean we will automatically have access to beta 4?
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    This game is absolutely more of the same.  Just not looking for that.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234
    This game is absolutely fun. Just looking for that.
  • lafaiellafaiel Member UncommonPosts: 93
    I had such a blast in beta, really looking foward to  open beta and release.
  • LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Originally posted by Blackaftermath
    if we were in beta 3, does this mean we will automatically have access to beta 4?

Yes you will have access.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Still boring combat tho:/ 
  • Lebros89Lebros89 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    So many people complain about "boring combat" or "more of the same" but when games change it up, they just bitch about that too. I'm just looking for fun and FFXIV:ARR is very fun. I agree about it being after the letter on the 8th though.
  • lafaiellafaiel Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

Thats subjective though Arskaaa, at level 20 I found myself with plenty to do in combat, some people like it some don't.  I enjoyed it.

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

Not boring combat, just not Action RPG, i am tired for every Action RPG player to come Tab-target MMORPG to expose how bored combat it is. This is not Tera and is not GW2, and i am thankfull for that.

There are a lot of Street Fighter Mortal Kombat Tekken MMORPG games. Rolling in the floor like a gimnastic with a Full Plate Armor, or Tanking in bikini.

• OrochiBebopOrochiBebop Member Posts: 10

Can't seem to understand why when someone says the combat isn't enjoyable everyone's initial reaction is "THIS IS NOT TERA"... It doesn't have to be... I love Action MMORPGs... But I still love games like DBO, and Rift. I for one am able to ignore aspects of a game if as a whole I enjoy it. And I will most definitely admit, Combat is not enjoyable it's boring. It's just a tool for me to move forward. Rift one the other which is not an action MMORPG has very enjoyable combat and it gets me really engage unlike FF ARR on another hand I love the crafting in this game so much fun :D

My Two Cents, My Opinion

• RavenHighwindRavenHighwind Member Posts: 25

I enjoyed combat on my level 50 Monk... I will say combat is slightly boring from 1-10 ... but once I switched to my level 50 legacy character I had a blast. I actually was overwhelmed by the choices I had.... especially with combos.

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

I experienced almost the same exact things and I agree completely.

As a THM my job is always crowd control. First thing I do is sleep anything that can be slept while continuing to bomb the tanks target while watching for slept mobs to wake. Simple as that.

I once saw another THM after being told not to spend their whole time in the trenches alternating between Fire II and Blizzard II (both AoE's). I explained once about waking up slept mobs but since it was an early dungeon I didn't press the issue any more. Most parties I ended up in turned out to be great, but this one was a little more stressful do to the lack of hate control.

The game needs to be simple early on. The example above wasn't that big of a deal since the dungeon was early and easy. If the same thing played out and caused the party to wipe multiple times that same person could have gotten their feelings hurt.

I can't wait for P4 to open up. I have tried playing Rift and Tera with Final Fantasy music in the background. It's nowhere near as good but it does make those games more tolerable =)

My guess is also Aug 9th.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Yay beta 4 :)

As for combat, I don't like action combat, it always is so repetative, just stand there with your mouse button held down, pushing buttons 1-4.  At least in tab targeting you have to target your skills and you end up using more than just 4 buttons.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

What the heck are you even talking about? FFXIV has some of the most tactical combat mechanics I've ever encountered in an MMO. 

Smile

• SerondarSerondar Member Posts: 8

It would probably be because almost everyone that starts the combat isn't enjoyable statements immediately starts comparisons to GW2, TSW,Tera, Neverwinter  or some similar trash.

As we all know enjoyment is subjective and I enjoy it. In some ways its like a nice and plain old sorely missed glass of water. Nothing too fancy and does what it supposed to just fine.

If the action combat guys don't like it they can keep ramming red bulls down their throats till their kidneys are mush and scream "I am having a great time" whilst doing it.

Can't wait for beta 4

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Originally posted by Ralstlin
    There are a lot of Street Fighter Mortal Kombat Tekken MMORPG games. Rolling in the floor like a gimnastic with a Full Plate Armor, or Tanking in bikini.

Haha, well put!

Even though I don't like FFXIV, it's not really about the combat. It's decent enough for me.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    I agree with most of the thoughts in this article.  For me, though, the only way I can sum up my FF:ARR experiences so far is that it was a game whose progression system had me hooked while I was playing it, but once I logged off and stepped away from the game, I didn't miss it at all. 
  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Loved the beta, can't wait till release.
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • OrochiBebopOrochiBebop Member Posts: 10
    Still doesn't excuse people saying everyone that doesn't enjoy FF ARR are some action MMORPG lovers... I think you guys can do better than that... I also loved White Knight Chronicles hate that games comabt and Tera has terrible combat IMO... It's comes down to what you can get engaged in and I feel like FF ARR is too slow for my taste to be engaging ... Won't stop me from playing as I said I enjoy other aspects of the game... Combat is something I have to do I guess
  • Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Great article! I got a bunch of info from it, even though I had played in beta-3 also. As for the game itself, it really intrigues me. I'm one of those players, though who will group up at times, tends to play solo lost in my own little world. So with the group content the game kind of forces you into, I expect there will be many things in game I will see that I probably wouldn't if so many gates weren't in place. Plus I love the oddly old school feel I get from this game, as for some reason it reminds me a lot of different games I used to play on older consoles, especially with the scrolling quest text.
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    The character models look a bit dated to me. How do they look in game compared to the screen shots?  How about the focus of the game is it end game gear focused like say Wow? Does crafting play a big part in this? Player shops and or housing?
  • AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114

This is Going to be Great!!

if anyone got to do some of those Boss Battles in Beta, you will know how Great Awesome it is!! 

>=D

once Beta 4 hits, ty god I will be able to Stream Game play also!!  ;-)