Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one?

13»

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

I wish I was excited for it.

Just like I was SWTOR wasn't a fail.

Too many wishes in the MMO industry.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138

I hate these topics. Along with which game should I buy X or X.

Millions of people exist in the world no way youre the only one excited.

• GoldenTiger2GoldenTiger2 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

SWTOR sucked in beta, I ended up buying it but I knew it wasn't going to do well, simply as a "temporary" game to play with friends. I can't imagine anyone else who got to 50 in beta felt any differently. I'm not someone who acts as a leaker or contributes to that in any way, shape, or form, so... ESO thoughts will have to wait.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by GoldenTiger2

SWTOR sucked in beta, I ended up buying it but I knew it wasn't going to do well, simply as a "temporary" game to play with friends. I can't imagine anyone else who got to 50 in beta felt any differently.

Agreed. But your not seeing the point of that post, an Elder scrolls MMO has a fantastic base just for being an elder scrolls game and they haven't told me a single thing about this game that is capturing.  I always save final review for beta however. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

SWTOR sucked in beta, I ended up buying it but I knew it wasn't going to do well, simply as a "temporary" game to play with friends. I can't imagine anyone else who got to 50 in beta felt any differently.

I went into SWTOR with the notion I would only be playing it to level up a character or 2 to see the great Bioware story lines.  As a single player experience I was pleased with the game, as an MMO not so much.  Thankfully my expectations were tempered.  I pretty much see TESO playing out the same way.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by SavageHorizon Originally posted by Brabbit1987     The other reason why I am excited for it is because I at least am pretty sure it will have more going for it then any current mmo out during it's time. No offence to all the other MMOs XD.
        Okay the above is your opinion but i would like to know how you came to it. Now, you are obviously talking about the games features so let's here why you think the above. Please don't say the combat or skills system because there are other mmo that let you wear any armour and use any weapon. A prime example is Archeage which also has 120 available classes to each player. You want to be a wizard wearing plate armour, you can. Obviously certain weapons and armour are better suited to certain roles but it's way more flexible than TESO. So now we have the combat skill system out the way, what next. Please don't say the pvp.
      in terms of themeparks, i agree with him that ESO is the best thing in development right now.  
    ArcheAge at it's core is a themepark, it's not a sandbox mmo. The game has all the themepark features you would expect from a themepark mmo but it also has some great open ended features.

So where does it leave your above comment, it means that as a themepark mmo TESO is lacking any features that other themepark mmo's have.

It's obviously not the best themepark in development right now.

i wouldn't play AA whether its a themepark or a sandbox game and just because a game has certain features does not make it a good and fun game IMO

by the way, saying TESO is lacking any features that other mmo's have is about as misinformed of a statement i have ever seen lol

you are either vastly exaggerating or you just don't have a clue about this game apparently.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by azzamasin

I went into SWTOR with the notion I would only be playing it to level up a character or 2 to see the great Bioware story lines.  As a single player experience I was pleased with the game, as an MMO not so much.  Thankfully my expectations were tempered.  I pretty much see TESO playing out the same way.

Not sure why you feel like that. SWTOR was one of the most linear themeparks I've ever played. They tried to make you think differently by pretending searching for datacrons was the exploration explorers were looking for. Nothing in this game so far gives me the sense that this will be as linear as that game or with a lack of real exploration as that game. If you believe differently you aren't really paying attention....as usual. In addition, SWTOR's companion system, though it had its strong points, made the game feel even more  single player than mosts...along with the drawn out cut scenes that cut you off socially. This game doesn't appear that it will suffer from that as well.

There Is Always Hope!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by azzamasin Originally posted by DocBrody everyone will buy it anyway
    Pretty much.  Even I plan on buying nad playing, but how long will it keep me is the big question, as of right now I will go into this the same way as I did going into SWTOR, a game to be played till I hit the level cap and fin all the exploration/questing content.
      it will take a while to go through all the content from the sounds of it, unless you are a power gamer. if that is the case then i would say no themepark mmo is going to be for you in terms of longevity. but if they follow through with the claims they have made so far, there will be a lot of content at least.
    6 hours a day is normally considered a power gamer but I also read all texts, wonder around for the pure joy of it and take my time doing things.  1 true power gamer will do in 1 hour what it takes me to do in 6 or 7.  Hopefully the game's progression system and 50+ & 50++ zones take me a few months or longer.

So yea I hope it takes me a while, my most personal favorite part of any MMO is the leveling portion so the longer it takes the merrier.  I also for whatever reason abhore playing alts so to me the leveling progression is normally a 1 time deal.

i am an alt maker for sure, which is why i like SWTOR more than most here. it is also why i think i will like TESO, even if it is just for a few months until i take a break, then come back, like i do with SWTOR

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by keithian

Not sure why you feel like that. SWTOR was one of the most linear themeparks I've ever played. They tried to make you think differently by pretending searching for datacrons was the exploration explorers were looking for. Nothing in this game so far gives me the sense that this will be as linear as that game or with a lack of real exploration as that game. If you believe differently you aren't really paying attention....as usual. In addition, SWTOR's companion system, though it had its strong points, made the game feel even more  single player than mosts...along with the drawn out cut scenes that cut you off socially. This game doesn't appear that it will suffer from that as well.

Well I look at it like this:

SWTOR was partially based on the KOTOR series and it was a linear game therefore I wasn;t expecting an open ended world.  Same could be said for Neverwinter, I love the game (the studio and developers not so much) and I knew it was a linear Themepark going in and was ready for it.  Now get this, Skyrim, which is the only TES game I played for longer then a few days. Skyrim the only reason why I play is because of its open ended world design and its depth and detail of the "points of Interest" system you can visit from the Compass.  The MMO version plays nothing like this because they have seriously neutered the only reason that got me into the IP.  The only reason why I will play the game even with its neutered exploration is because of the open ended class design and return to public dungeons. 

The reason why you do not know about TESO's lack of exploration, or more likely its focus on a linear quest hub design is because of the NDA.  But if one was to do some research you would find information I am saying to be true.  And the information is hard to get out due to the NDA but its there if one was too looked.  From what I've been told the game's exploration plays very much like GW2, you're still bread crumbed along a linear path but instead of hearts its through quest hubs.  And while there are explorable points of interest to be found, they are not as varied and aren't as plentiful as a true TES game, which I'll reiterate is the only reason I play Skyrim for just to refresh that thought.  I understand some could care less about that but I'll say this, I could care less about TES 1st person because I hate 1st person combat and felt its inclusion was not worth the man hours spent designing and implementing it.  You quite possibly feel the same was toward exploration centric TES content but you know what?  We're both right in getting the content of the original IP into the MMO version but it seems my preferred content is being hidden under an NDA and that makes me mad because to me proper TES exploration is every bit as important as TES 1st person is to you.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

SWTOR was partially based on the KOTOR series and it was a linear game therefore I wasn;t expecting an open ended world.  Same could be said for Neverwinter, I love the game (the studio and developers not so much) and I knew it was a linear Themepark going in and was ready for it.  Now get this, Skyrim, which is the only TES game I played for longer then a few days. Skyrim the only reason why I play is because of its open ended world design and its depth and detail of the "points of Interest" system you can visit from the Compass.  The MMO version plays nothing like this because they have seriously neutered the only reason that got me into the IP.  The only reason why I will play the game even with its neutered exploration is because of the open ended class design and return to public dungeons. 

The reason why you do not know about TESO's lack of exploration, or more likely its focus on a linear quest hub design is because of the NDA.  But if one was to do some research you would find information I am saying to be true.  And the information is hard to get out due to the NDA but its there if one was too looked.  From what I've been told the game's exploration plays very much like GW2, you're still bread crumbed along a linear path but instead of hearts its through quest hubs.  And while there are explorable points of interest to be found, they are not as varied and aren't as plentiful as a true TES game, which I'll reiterate is the only reason I play Skyrim for just to refresh that thought.  I understand some could care less about that but I'll say this, I could care less about TES 1st person because I hate 1st person combat and felt its inclusion was not worth the man hours spent designing and implementing it.  You quite possibly feel the same was toward exploration centric TES content but you know what?  We're both right in getting the content of the original IP into the MMO version but it seems my preferred content is being hidden under an NDA and that makes me mad because to me proper TES exploration is every bit as important as TES 1st person is to you.

If you what you state ends up to be true and there is no real sense of exploration, then you are correct, this game won't last for me. However, I thought I had read in a leaked Q&A that even though the exploration wasn't quite Skyrim for obvious reasons, it was more than say games like WOW or LOTRO which for me at least at that time felt more open than games like SWTOR. I don't mind somewhat linear quest hubs if there is enough to do in between hubs that make it feel as if the zone is big and you are still exploring inbetween...though I prefer multiple hubs on the same level in a leveled game..something that bothered me in SWTOR since every planet was just one zone to the next in the exact same order. You're right, the NDA is making it difficult to judge, but that is why I am withholding judgement, because I need to see with my own eyes to form an opinion since its difficult to refute anything you say when I haven't seen it myself. Anyway, I continue to be cautiously optimistic that the game will be good until I play it and feel differently....now back to Skyrim for me! lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

If you what you state ends up to be true and there is no real sense of exploration, then you are correct, this game won't last for me. However, I thought I had read in a leaked Q&A that even though the exploration wasn't quite Skyrim for obvious reasons, it was more than say games like WOW or LOTRO which for me at least at that time felt more open than games like SWTOR. I don't mind somewhat linear quest hubs if there is enough to do in between hubs that make it feel as if the zone is big and you are still exploring inbetween...though I prefer multiple hubs on the same level in a leveled game..something that bothered me in SWTOR since every planet was just one zone to the next in the exact same order. You're right, the NDA is making it difficult to judge, but that is why I am withholding judgement, because I need to see with my own eyes to form an opinion since its difficult to refute anything you say when I haven't seen it myself. Anyway, I continue to be cautiously optimistic that the game will be good until I play it and feel differently....now back to Skyrim for me! lol.

I also do have to ask, isn't the only difference bettwen a quest hub and a non quest hub is NPCs walking around and different ways to get particular quests in random locations?

In which case, couldn't this quest hub feel mainly just be that it's in early beta and some of these things are not implemented yet?

The reason I say this is because a beta is a beta. It can really be hard to judge particular things on a beta. Especially  the way they are doing it. I mean from what I have read, each build had major changes. It sounds to me more like they are trying things just to get ideas of what everyone will like and wont like. 

Like i know people rag on Zenimax for not having a first person view in the game, and people say the only reason they put it in was because we complained. However, I have to say this. How do you know they where not planning on listening to their customers from the beginning? Like what if it was their plan all along? You can't really expect a developer to get it all right the first time, of course you will find issues. Again this is why they are in beta.

I will agree though, they will most certainly have to improve on it. However, I think they will. I doubt they will just leave it if people are complaining.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I agree.

That's the feeling I got from the first Zenimax interviews.

And still they didn't manage to change my mind.

I fear that the "side" quests which are the focal point of TES will be translated in the usual "kill 10 rats" quests, I believe exploration will be linear rather than random, and the Storyline will be so central that it will alienate the player from the MMO part of the game.

• archadis95archadis95 Member Posts: 1

<p>i realy look forward to play this game</p><p>

</p>
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I went into SWTOR expecting that AND a properly developed Ilum. The disappointment for me was realizing that they had no clue how to develop the PVP planet and eventually just gave up.

I see something different here. Cyrodiil is a big deal to these guys--so much so that it annoys the shit out of people who think that TES ganes shouldn't be about PVP.

My desire to spend time in ESO after the story arc is complete is 100% dependent on how much fun Cyrodiil is: if they get that right, I'm there for a good long while. Otherwise, yeah, 2 months and out just like I do in most other themeparks.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GoldenTiger2GoldenTiger2 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Same Iselin, I was really disappointed with how Ilum was rushed in at the end and then abandoned after flopping due to its poor design, by the devs. Cyrodiil is clearly important to ESO and I am glad to see so much focus on it as that is what could keep people playing the game long term.
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

There are quite a few things about ESO that I really like. And there are some things I wish they would change. Overall I think it will be something I'll enjoy playing. Will it be a game that I'll still be playing ten years from now like I do on occasion with Morrowind? I honestly don't know. It depends on where they go with it after launch.

I will say that I'm very optimistic about the game based on what I know so far.

• burner087burner087 Member Posts: 13
    I look forward to the game.  I loved Skyrim and the other earlier games as well.  This one looks very good as well.

-Davorn

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

I am guardedly optimistic, but a number of things concern me about ESO long term. No doubt ESO will be a hit, but I expect Everquest Next to be the better mmo of the two -- despite the elder scrolls astonishing lore. With no player housing at launch and a primary focus on pvp, you get the feeling ESO will be somewhat on rails.

SoE, with EQ next, has their head together and know how to make a grand *player centered* MMORPG, but what they lacked in the past was a great engine; now that problem is solved, tried and proven.