Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Firefall: Review in Progress #1

124»

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Dakirn
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by scarybooster
    Exactly what Kaiser said! A Stock Thumper is a joke to get you to learn what to do. Even 3 people doing a Personal Thumper 1 is crazy. Try a 2 or 3 it's insane. This game is a sandbox game, you have to find the gems.

The problem is the game is still in development and Red 5 has even said this Open Beta is not a PR stunt, it is a BETA. They are working hard to streamline stuff, but right now their main goal Is to stabilize servers and work on bugs. The initial game seems small, but there is a huge world out there that player that only play it for a day, week, or month miss. Have any of the people that claim the game is boring actually been to the other 3 zones you cannot see on you New Eden map? Have they been to Blackwater Anomaly? Have they crafted a motorcycle? If yes then that's the guy to actually listen to.

All there is, is crafting and barely any PvE gameplay. The other option is PvP but you need to spam the thumpers to get good gear for PvP... It gets boring fast to do the same thing over and over.

First, PvP uses stock set gear. Your "grinding and crafting" of gear in PvE has no bearing on the current PvP in the game (OWPvP will use crafted gear).  PvP games give XP, resources and components for crafting and some people don't PvE at ALL and are able to advance and open frames for PvP.

Thumpers are the content? I haven't thumped for months. ARES/Chosen keep me busy. I get all the resources/rewards I need and no need to thump, ever.

ARES are just as boring after a while... You just basically proved my point. All you're doing is spamming the same thing over and over. I guess some people enjoy that sort of mindlessness though.

Smile

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    its a  raw gem. if they keep working hard it will be great - atm its only very good :)
  • r3dl4ncer3dl4nce Member UncommonPosts: 114

ARES are just as boring after a while... You just basically proved my point. All you're doing is spamming the same thing over and over. I guess some people enjoy that sort of mindlessness though.

Uhm, just one question. Classic "kill 10 rats and take me 10 rat tails" quest of various MMORPGs are better than AREs missions? Killing 10 rats, then 10 wolves, then 10 tigers, then 10 .. and so on is so better than killing one squad of chosen, aranhas, hissers, raiders ?

Meh... I can understand you miss a general storyline (for a storyline and lore intense MMOTPS I play Defiance in fact) but in the end why are discussiong about a shooter, a game to shoot things...

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by r3dl4nce

Uhm, just one question. Classic "kill 10 rats and take me 10 rat tails" quest of various MMORPGs are better than AREs missions? Killing 10 rats, then 10 wolves, then 10 tigers, then 10 .. and so on is so better than killing one squad of chosen, aranhas, hissers, raiders ?

Meh... I can understand you miss a general storyline (for a storyline and lore intense MMOTPS I play Defiance in fact) but in the end why are discussiong about a shooter, a game to shoot things...

Because they promised good PvE gameplay... I found none to be had.

Smile

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I tried playing today, but almost every aspect of the game had severe issues that eventually lead to my friend being unable to log in.  Character would just not load anymore.  We had tried relogging to fix a tutorial mission not functioning, after an earlier mission had glitched and not given us a secondary weapon.

The game loaded once, so I guess there is that, but overall it is unplayable and "beta" is a generous state for the game to be in.

I'm surprised it got this much worse since months ago when it was a ghost town in closed beta.

For all the WoW bashing the team does (unprofessionalism), at least Blizzard's game has functional parts to it.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    So because the Cash Shop is up and running, the game is no longer viable for BETA? Then with that mentality, any preorders for MMO's automatically pushes them into released too right? Kickstarter is another released version apparently. Seriously though, however you want to throw your punches, Firefall in a beta state or not has one of the best resource / crafting systems in MMO's to date, aside from Eve Online.

I have always advised against pre-order and think we should be cautious with kickstarter. But a MMO must be declared launched after you have stated there will be no level resets and the cash shop is open. If this does not happen you could get a situation where a MMO was taking money for a year, thousands had reached top level and then the company says "we are launching!". That would be absurd.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    So because the Cash Shop is up and running, the game is no longer viable for BETA? Then with that mentality, any preorders for MMO's automatically pushes them into released too right? Kickstarter is another released version apparently. Seriously though, however you want to throw your punches, Firefall in a beta state or not has one of the best resource / crafting systems in MMO's to date, aside from Eve Online.

The game is released. The software is still in beta. 

Two different things here. Actually considering all features are not even in it yet you could call it Alpha, but let's not get into the details. 

However you (can) pay for the game and there won't be any resets. They have release the game to the public. Yes no one can deny the software itself is still beta, but that does not mean it is not released. 

MMORPG.com has decide to write about it as it is released and held it to the same standard and I can accept that. It's for yourself to decide whatever you accept the flaws they might point out and file it under "It's just beta".

Red5 needed money and released the game while still in beta. That is just how it is. It's fine. They release a limited, but fun product with you can easily play for free if you choose to. This however is what it is and you can not really debate that. 

• ExpiryExpiry Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Amazing game, cant stop playing. I cant explain why but it feels fresh, exciting, like skill matters.... This is a must try
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Its not just because of the cash shop. Theyre also not doing anymore wipes and it is open for anyone to play. Whats the difference between that and a new fully launched game? Nothing.

No wipes, cash shop is open, still patching for fixes & adding things.

There is literally no difference between the 2 other than that the devs are calling it a beta.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

I tried playing today, but almost every aspect of the game had severe issues that eventually lead to my friend being unable to log in.  Character would just not load anymore.  We had tried relogging to fix a tutorial mission not functioning, after an earlier mission had glitched and not given us a secondary weapon.

The game loaded once, so I guess there is that, but overall it is unplayable and "beta" is a generous state for the game to be in.

I'm surprised it got this much worse since months ago when it was a ghost town in closed beta.

For all the WoW bashing the team does (unprofessionalism), at least Blizzard's game has functional parts to it.

Meanwhile plenty of other people are playing with no issue. But you're right. The game is completely unplayable....

• ZMZKZMZK Member UncommonPosts: 1

Take 2K Games Borderlands and Hi-Rez studios Global Agenda and you have Firefall.  The game does have an addicting flavor that is reminiscent of World of Warcraft.  However, the game is a cash cow, how much real money do you want to spend for virtual goods?  Spend 5 Read Beans ( in-game currency purchased with real life money ) to get that crafted item fabricated now or wait 15 minutes for each item to be slowly made by the molecular printer. $100 or $20 for a starter pack, for a game that is in "beta". 

If you are into PvP, I think Firefall is fun and the urge to log into the game for the purpose of collecting XP and materials for unlocking better battle-frame components is addictive. 

PvE content seems ad hoc and poorly fabricated as an attempt to gain the support and loyalty of the PvE type game players.

Sadly, I had high hopes for this game, but it appears to be yet another game designed around the philosophy of getting the player to spend real life money as much as possible, rather than a game that has substance and depth.  All MMORPG's need to pay rent, bills, and employees. As a stakeholder who is supporting the game financially by purchasing starter packs and Red Beans, you have to ask yourself, is my real world money spent towards this game giving me the fun and entertainment in return?