Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this is what im talking about real crafting in an mmo.

waterwarfare203waterwarfare203 Member Posts: 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=XWP-DudjDBU&feature=fvwp

finally a game understands crafting is not wow crafting. I hope they dont censor sandbox freedom features.

My biggest hope is that politics is as epic as eve online. 

God no more wow like crafting please god just no. im sick of really simple 100000000 other easy crafting.

a truely truely open economy. This is what other mmorpg are missing, tired of wow or themepark crafting or economy.

This game will surely stand out unique.

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by waterwarfare203

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=XWP-DudjDBU&feature=fvwp

finally a game understands crafting is not wow crafting. I hope they dont censor sandbox freedom features.

My biggest hope is that politics is as epic as eve online. 

God no more wow like crafting please god just no. im sick of really simple 100000000 other easy crafting.

In China no one can hear you rage...

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Yep, everything that is not combat is absolutely brilliant with this game.

Combat however. . . well it makes my man hood shrivel to say the least.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

Ehh if they can add in meaningful consequences to the combat they can get over it, EVE doesn't have stellar combat either but the consequences to da gud fights is what gets allot of people horny for more.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

If that's true, maybe it is a game for me?

Combat is easy and dull in all MMOs, there are F2S out there with GREAT combat but nothing else.

I don't play MMOs for the combat. Tab + skillbar is fine with me.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

People were complaining that the crafting process was 'too easy'... 

As far as the simple process in concerned they may be right... To a limited extent. You can set a job to make 100 Somethings and as long as you have the raw materials you can click combine and walk away. Very WoW like there.

It is all the rest that can frustrate you and take forever.

First off, those Packs you see them carrying on their backs and in the tractors?  And see how many they needed for that Manor hall?

They take 300 Raw material to make for most. So a Lumber Pack take 300 Wood, fast growing Birch wood takes 10 hours real time to mature and produces ~9 wood per tree. A Large Scarecrow can pack 20 Trees on it if your placement is perfect, otherwise you can plant in the open and beg/pray that no one comes by and steals it. One AA KR guildmate lost 140 Trees in what he thought was a hidden farm over one night. Stone is 1-3 per Node in the wild. Cloth can be produced from Scraps dropped from mobs, Cotton you grow and harvest, and Sheep you raise and shear for Wool.

Secondly, Labor Points(LP), a paid account recovers 5 LP every 5 minutes real time, so a maximum of 1440 LP a Day. That may seem like a lot... but...  Take that wood pack.. at ~9 wood per it would take 34 trees. Chopping down a Birch take 10 LP each tree, then the 300 wood need to be processed into planks at 3 wood and 5 LP per plank, then once you have 100 planks they have to be made into a Pack which take the 100 planks and 60 LP. So, 340LP to chop, 300LP to process, and a final 60 for the Pack, or 700 a Pack. Then a Further 25 to add it to a structure. So at best a single player can create almost 2 Wood Packs a day with the LP they can replace.

Resting in a Bed in your own house can recover up to 80LP once every 22 hours. Rice Cakes from the cash shop can add up to 100LP once an hour.

Using LP will increase players cap for their account from 1000 at game start to an eventual 5000 max stored LP. They still only earn 1440 a day, but just can go a day or 3 without spending it and not lose any.

Third, Crafted items use an item upgrade system. The lowest level Armor/Weapon you can craft is L20. The make the L24 version will take more mats, and a L20 item. The L30 uses a L24, the L34 a L30...

L40 and higher items cannot be crafted at public stations, but instead can only be made at player owned and constructed stations placed on housing/farm lands or in houses.

The part that will frustrate many players is the post 40 crafting. When you upgrade a L40 item it is randomly 1 of 4 sets. Three of the sets have stats like normal just with differing focuses, the fourth statless set is the ONLY one of the L44 items that can then be upgraded to a L50 tier 1 item. The L50 t1 items are also randomly 1 of 4 sets only 1 of which will proced to L50 tier 2.  L50 t2 is now one of 7 sets, 6 with different focuses, and the seventh alone that can become L50 tier 3. Each of the L50 t3 sets has differing bonuses and focuses.

...and then there is Jewelry Crafting, Gliders, Cars, Subs, Ships, Fishing, Mount Breeding, and much more that involve crafting to a greater or lesser degree.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I support and applaud this multi player level content but for global games, they need to at least provide an insight in to what it "I" will be doing. Like it or not, a certain amount of time is going to be spent in any game where it's just you and your character preparing for something.

200 wagons, full of "stuff". How many hours did it take XXX individual characters to collect 200 wagons full of "stuff"? That is the meat and potatoes of a video game. That will be the deciding factor for the people risking all that 200 wagons of "stuff" to a free for all system, where someone can just roll in and smash it all a day after you complete it.

That is what I don't see in any previews of this game.

Originally posted by free2play

I support and applaud this multi player level content but for global games, they need to at least provide an insight in to what it "I" will be doing. Like it or not, a certain amount of time is going to be spent in any game where it's just you and your character preparing for something.

200 wagons, full of "stuff". How many hours did it take XXX individual characters to collect 200 wagons full of "stuff"? That is the meat and potatoes of a video game. That will be the deciding factor for the people risking all that 200 wagons of "stuff" to a free for all system, where someone can just roll in and smash it all a day after you complete it.

That is what I don't see in any previews of this game.

First, the world is NOT entirely FFA killing. That Manor, a smaller house, a players farm, are all 'safe' and cannot be destroyed or have their items stolen. Only in the North regions can the current owner of the region, or new owner after a successful Siege declare the local tax rate, or even destroy a players house and farms. Crops planted outside of the radius of a Scarecrow on a farm, these can be stolen but will leave Evidence to turn in.

Secondly, how much effort? Not a small amount...

1 Wood Pack = 38 Birch Trees (7-9 Logs each) taking 10 Hours to grow. 380 Labor Points spent to harvest 300 Logs. 300 Logs + 300 LP -> 100 Planks + 60 LP -> Wood Pack

So the wood takes ~10 hours to Grow, and say 20-30  minutes to harvest and process.

The Labor Points on the other hand would take a single player 12 hours and 20 minutes to replace.

1 Iron or Stone Pack is somewhat similar, except the nodes are, mostly, not grown but found in the wild. Nodes take 10-15 minutes to respawn. In a sufficiently dense area that allows for a loop of nodes you will get 1-3 Ore, and 0-2 Stone per node for 5 LP cost. There is a Chance when harvesting a node that a second node will spawn, this secondary node will have 1-3 Stone and a Rare item (Copper, Silver, Gold, Crystals or a 'Futures' Ore) and will cost 25 LP to harvest.

~1 hour of that loop produces about 300 Iron, 150 stone, 15-20 Rares for about 800 LP,  then a further 150 LP to smelt the Ore into ingot and from the stone into Bricks. This gives 100 Ingots or 1 Metal Pack, and 50 Stone bricks only 30 per pack so 1.66 Stone Packs.

So 1 hour of effort will consume almost 16 hours of recovery.

Finally, the Manor will cost 100 Stone Packs, 50 Wood Packs and 20 Metal Packs, each of which costs 25 LP to place.

Ballparking the numbers would be about 1240 Hours of Labor spent, spread across however many people you wish, that is still a lot of REAL effort.

I am sure there are more efficient ways to acquire the resources, some can be bought, etc... Still impressive.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Cant wait to get in the game, I just hope Trion starts giving us some info, anything solid at all would be nice!

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

that video was actually very cool. Really nice crafting.

One thing i have to say about this game. I will only play it IF the game does not censor any feature for North America release.

One example is korean screenshot that i saw of a guy who crafted his house and put posters of real asian models inside his house on the wall. If small features like that one are taken out of the American release just because some people might get their feelings hurt then im out of here. Im not wasting my money on censored garbage to please other people.

They can westernize the game all they want for NA release as long as not a single feature is censored.

im an adult with a clear mind, im not a child or a stupid person to pay for censored things.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Vanguard was the first start of doing more,but nobody is playing it.It really shows that even when the game is improved and the bugs removed players still only want to play he "IN THING".I was right there standing in EB games line when Wow was released and i listened to all the kids standing in line with their parents and talking to the guys behind the counter.

What i got from listening to future WOw players was that NONE of them were buying on any knowledge,they were buying it on a whim because word had it everyone else was buying it or their friends were buying it.

This really is no surprise to me ,it goes on in real life all the time with fashion and trends.Then 10 years later people are like wtf i was wearing that,wtf was i thinking.

My whole point is that no matter what Archeage does and how good it does it,if AA is not accepted as the "IN Thing" few will play it.I personally like Archeage a lot,i think it will be a very good game but the one problem i have always had is anything that revolves around pvp.I want to enjoy the entire game surface when and how i please, i don't want to have some pvp tag on me just because i stepped into a new zone.If i want to build a castle with some friends, i want to build one and again not have some pvp tag attached to it.

This whole "COMPETE" attitude in gaming is just plain wrong,what ever happened to just meeting friends,getting along and playing the game,why so much need to compete against other players.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Vanguard was the first start of doing more,but nobody is playing it.It really shows that even when the game is improved and the bugs removed players still only want to play he "IN THING".I was right there standing in EB games line when Wow was released and i listened to all the kids standing in line with their parents and talking to the guys behind the counter.

The problem with using Vanguard as an example is that yes, 6 years later they have many/most of the problems fixed. But in the intervening years they actively went out of their way to demoralize the existing player base.  Removing developers, Silius' community letter where he stated further development was ceasing, etc...  People only recall VG as a near forgotten failure, not as it is today. Personally I am not happy with where it is today, but that is personal taste and disagreements over their direction they are taking VG.

In terms of crafting, VG is still missing, and has been missing for many years, an entire tier of crafting. Mats are in the game for tier 6, but almost no recipes exist except for POTA quest things.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

"...loop of nodes.."

That sounds exactly like WoW, Vanguard and probably a lot of other clones I'm forgetting right now. Why developers don't make resource spawns happen in random locations (and of varying quality) - for example like SWG did - just boggles my mind. Such an easy opportunity to encourage never ending exploration wasted once again.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by Pynda

"...loop of nodes.."

That sounds exactly like WoW, Vanguard and probably a lot of other clones I'm forgetting right now. Why developers don't make resource spawns happen in random locations (and of varying quality) - for example like SWG did - just boggles my mind. Such an easy opportunity to encourage never ending exploration wasted once again.

Are you seriously complaining about the way resource nodes spawn? Missing the forest for the trees methinks. 

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Resource spawns always happen in the same place and of the same quality on a timer? If that's the way it is done in AA then I'm not missing anything. That's WoW all over again. It's boring and it's unimaginative, it's made to cater to people who have no brains or initiative, and IMO it sucks major ass.

I will grant you that having other resources which are 'farmed' is a slight twist. But not really a good enough one for having static nodes in the game as well. Age of Wushu has a little dividend automatically waiting for you every day when you log on too. But that kind of thrill wears off fast. However searching hard for hours or even days and then discovering a hidden bonanza is the kind of thing you tend not to forget - ever.

ONLY ore nodes operate that way.

While plants and trees may respawn in the same places, they also have to mature. Chop down that Tree today, tomorrow a new tree is spawned there, but rather then being harvestable it starts as a seedling and may take hours or even days to reach maturity and become harvestable. 

You can dig it up early, mostly that just destroys the plant, but it also give a chance to get a recoverable version of the tree/plant that you can replant later.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I like the building creation, that was really cool.  But from what I've researched it's still just gather materials and click a button to craft the items, which is the same as wow, rift, and a lot of other generic crafting systems.  Kind of mixed bag.  Seems no one wants to take the time to actually create a real deep crafting creation mechanic like Vanguard, which is a shame.
  • waterwarfare203waterwarfare203 Member Posts: 10
     i want a game that gives crafting professions the ability to move their materials to sell across the cities open world economy not sure about auction house. but i pre3fer no ah.
  • LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Margulis
    I like the building creation, that was really cool.  But from what I've researched it's still just gather materials and click a button to craft the items, which is the same as wow, rift, and a lot of other generic crafting systems.  Kind of mixed bag.  Seems no one wants to take the time to actually create a real deep crafting creation mechanic like Vanguard, which is a shame.

Same as in WoW you say?

Did you buy seeds from NPC, planted them on the open world, watered the crops and trees and collected the mats from them after? Did you buy baby animals, feed them to grow up and then butchered, trimmed, milked... them to get the materials from them?

Still same as in WoW?

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by LlexX

Same as in WoW you say?

Did you buy seeds from NPC, planted them on the open world, watered the crops and trees and collected the mats from them after? Did you buy baby animals, feed them to grow up and then butchered, trimmed, milked... them to get the materials from them?

Still same as in WoW?

No, that sounds worse than WoW.

I thought all the people who wanted that kind of bizarrely real life type stuff were playing the Sims. Why the hell would I want to water a tree in a video game? I barely want to get off my happy butt, go outside and take care of my real trees, why would I want to take care of virtual ones?

I love crafting, real crafting, which is why I'm a leatherworker hobbyist in real life! This "crafting" in a game is seriously mental.

Grats, you're going to play a game in which you milked a cow. The only people I see who can be excited to do mundane things like these are teenagers who have yet to join the real world and feel a sense of achievement. Go ask your dad how excited he is to water the trees. Good lord. This weekend when I'm doing yard work, I'll pretend I'm in a secret Beta for ArcheAge, maybe it won't suck as bad.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by LlexX

Same as in WoW you say?

Still same as in WoW?

I thought all the people who wanted that kind of bizarrely real life type stuff were playing the Sims. Why the hell would I want to water a tree in a video game? I barely want to get off my happy butt, go outside and take care of my real trees, why would I want to take care of virtual ones?

I love crafting, real crafting, which is why I'm a leatherworker hobbyist in real life! This "crafting" in a game is seriously mental.

Grats, you're going to play a game in which you milked a cow. The only people I see who can be excited to do mundane things like these are teenagers who have yet to join the real world and feel a sense of achievement. Go ask your dad how excited he is to water the trees. Good lord. This weekend when I'm doing yard work, I'll pretend I'm in a secret Beta for ArcheAge, maybe it won't suck as bad.

It's called depth. Every aspect of AA is "deeper than you'd expect". This can be said about every feature of the game from mounts, crafting, farming, housing, PvP, the list goes on and on. Simply put, if you are tired of simple shallow MMO's, AA is your answer if you crave a deep complex game. If you are happy in Themepark land and prefer to keep things nice and simple or if you only care combat and kill, kill, kill then AA probably isn't for you.

Put it this way, after playing AA there is no chance in hell I could go back to playing a themepark again or anything that doesn't have the depth of AA, anything else just feels far, far inferior.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer

snip...

Nice post, thank you. It sounds something like Wushu with LAbor points being a limiter just like Vigor, also the randomness. Wushu does the randomness differently, but it still makes epic stuff.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Any MMO that's P2W/F2P will have a crappy and tained player economy.  Any crafting system that ties in to a cash shop or P2W system will be crappy.  Period.

I'm so sick of F2P.  Companies do it because it makes them more money, not to benefit players.  Quite the contrary.  F2P lowers the quality of the gameplay experience so much it's ridiculous.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
    ~1 hour of that loop produces about 300 Iron, 150 stone, 15-20 Rares for about 800 LP,  then a further 150 LP to smelt the Ore into ingot and from the stone into Bricks. This gives 100 Ingots or 1 Metal Pack, and 50 Stone 

So after I farmed for the maximum time of 1h 45min a day Im done? That is a bit frustrating to see that if you want to be a crafter you either spend money on the game or can only play 2 hours. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by steelwind

It's called depth. Every aspect of AA is "deeper than you'd expect". This can be said about every feature of the game from mounts, crafting, farming, housing, PvP, the list goes on and on.

I notice you didn't list combat.  lol.  I remember back when I told a friend about this game years ago, and since it wasn't GW2, he didn't want to hear about it.  Now I feel silly because I thought it was going to be something special.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by Voqar

Any MMO that's P2W/F2P will have a crappy and tained player economy.  Any crafting system that ties in to a cash shop or P2W system will be crappy.  Period.

I'm so sick of F2P.  Companies do it because it makes them more money, not to benefit players.  Quite the contrary.  F2P lowers the quality of the gameplay experience so much it's ridiculous.

First, there is no P2W items in the AA cash shop, just cosmetic items.

Second, I hate F2P too but unfortunately I don't think there will be another P2P game. It's not really fair to judge a game based on being F2P anymore since it is a sign of the market shift not game quality. So like it or not, all MMO's now will probably be f2P going forward. If AA NA is anything similar (as similar as it can be to KR) to KR F2P, it won't be p2w. Considering the main thing you will be shelling cash out for all revolves around labor points.