Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com will be down for maintenance beginning at midnight EST on Wednesday, August 31. Downtime is expected to last only a couple of hours.

[Column] General: Enjoying r/Outside

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe CitadelPosts: 21,186MMORPG.COM Staff Epic

Today's Devil's Advocate takes a slight detour to introduce our readers to "Outside", no, not that mythical land beyond your own front door, but, rather, a game that has captured our attention. Find out why and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

People who post on r/Outside are using the subreddit’s community guidelines to ask questions about life, personal enhancement, social mores, and existential philosophies. The catch is that everyone treats this as a forum for the game they’re all playing: real life. Using their own take on gaming lingo, the Outsiders (as I like to call them) use the subreddit as a place to destress from the idiosyncrasies of life. They also act as a support group, finding ways to better understand human situations using gaming terminology as the means of creating helpful analogies.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s The Devil's Advocate: Enjoying r/Outside.

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Ottawa, ONPosts: 3,099Member Uncommon
    I have to admit I miss the days when I had a social circle that could hold entire Darmok-style conversations.  That sort of cloak of jargon and references really does make for a enjoyable support group.
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Henderson, NVPosts: 258Member

Great article.

Good to see humanity doesn't suck everywhere over the internet.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• OriginOfWavesOriginOfWaves NishPosts: 62Member Uncommon
    great article. but just 3 comments so far? it really show the state of the mmo community
  • jayartejayarte LancasterPosts: 450Member

Really enjoyed the article and gave the videos a watch.  Also visited the reddit r/Outside forum and liked what I saw.  Great to see people reaching out to one another, sharing humour, poking gentle fun at gaming, and, most importantly, offering help when needed using language which is non-threatening.

Thoughtful and thought-provoking article and links.  Thank you.

• OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,772Member Rare
    My original Wow guild not only got along inside the game, we did so outside.  Had a cookout and several get togethers.
  • DashiDMVDashiDMV Not Saying, QCPosts: 362Member
    Outside kind of sucks when you are a F2P.
  • AtheaAthea Niagara Falls, ONPosts: 78Member Uncommon
    OMG! I want this MMO, when does it release? The textures are such high resolution, the physics engine, everything seems top-notch, hopefully they'll have a good server infrastructure I hate lag.
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Henderson, NVPosts: 258Member
    Originally posted by Athea
    OMG! I want this MMO, when does it release? The textures are such high resolution, the physics engine, everything seems top-notch, hopefully they'll have a good server infrastructure I hate lag.

Sadly the in-game politics are giant pain in the arse!

Not to mention the constant clan battles over which religion is more uber gets annoying fast. Why the developer(s?) let this happen, I will never know. ;)

Also be very careful of guys playing girls in this game. lmao.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• DinastyDinasty Posts: 118Member Uncommon
    Outside is P2W :'(
  • victorbjrvictorbjr Quezon CityPosts: 205Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by OriginOfWaves
    great article. but just 3 comments so far? it really show the state of the mmo community

To be fair, I wasn't expecting this to be particularly comment worthy. My hope, however, is that people actually go to the subreddit and see a different way of viewing games and gaming culture.

More importantly, perhaps some of us will consider going to that world more often... Outside seems interesting. :)

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com