Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you accept a totally free to play mmo? - with adverts

13»

Comments

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Karahandras
    They did this as part of anarchy onlines f2p model(not sure if they still do).  I actually found it a decent feature rather than intrusive and would stop to watch film trailers.  Not sure how this would work in a sword and sorcery mmo though, maybe a magic mirror movie trailer :).  However,  I doubt most mmo devs/marketers would now bother working such advertising into a game properly rather than just dropping it in in the form of product placement i.e. an stamina boost cola drink, go faster nike trainers to go with your full plate armour and so on.

The problem with AO is that they never had enough advertisers, it was always the same stupid ad over and over and over (I still remember that stupid Irish Spring ad).  Most people popped for the lowest pay rank, $5 a month, just to get rid of the stupid ads.  If it was a lot of different advertisers and it wasn't a constant loop, it wouldn't have been so bad.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    If "The Secret World" was done right, and not with just tiny zones scattered over the world, having a McDonald or a Microsoft advertisement wouldn't be intrusive, but would actually add to the immersion.

In fact, if they were smart, they'd let McDonalds or other businesses buy space in the game and actually have a McDonalds or a Taco Bell in the game for people to visit.  I wouldn't mind that a bit, in fact it might even serve to make the world more real.

I am sure they would LOVE a piece of the ad pie.

But are advertising interested? Do they have enough "foot" traffic? Do they have enough analytics to support advertisers?

There are plenty of ad channels. Is there anything that can lure advertisers into something they are not familiar with and have to learn?

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    If "The Secret World" was done right, and not with just tiny zones scattered over the world, having a McDonald or a Microsoft advertisement wouldn't be intrusive, but would actually add to the immersion.

In fact, if they were smart, they'd let McDonalds or other businesses buy space in the game and actually have a McDonalds or a Taco Bell in the game for people to visit.  I wouldn't mind that a bit, in fact it might even serve to make the world more real.

But are advertising interested? Do they have enough "foot" traffic? Do they have enough analytics to support advertisers?

There are plenty of ad channels. Is there anything that can lure advertisers into something they are not familiar with and have to learn?

The advertisers are interested enough to have a piece of video playing, why wouldn't they want a permanent part of the world where they can have videos playing or whatever else?  That's the job of the marketing department, to convince the clueless advertisers how they can best be integrated into the game.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• deerstopdeerstop Member UncommonPosts: 31

I don't really mind cash shops! I'd rather play "Pay to win" game than game with many intrusive adds.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Yes probably. It all depends on what type of ads the company who is trying to get the ads into the game and what type of game it is going into. I don't want to see an advertisement for pizza hut in an elven village, but I wouldn't mind seeing the same ad in a scifi type of setting. I could see ad revenue actually helping a company more than a cash shop, but there will always be the people who really like to be immersed who will never touch anything with an advertisement. 
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Absolutely not.
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

The advertisers are interested enough to have a piece of video playing, why wouldn't they want a permanent part of the world where they can have videos playing or whatever else?  That's the job of the marketing department, to convince the clueless advertisers how they can best be integrated into the game.

Because it costs to do that. If they don't reach enough of an audience, they bail. Don't you see what happen to magazines when they don't have the circulations they have before? Advertisers bailed and magazines went out of business.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Absolutely no fees at all. Download and play every part of it. Shop items bought only through in game currency.

- but the game cost is subsidized by adverts - either through product placement, signage etc. Or through actual adverts at character sign on, or during flight.

Would you play..........?

Probably not because the budget would have to be so low that I can't imagine what they could possibly make.  

• niiniichanniiniichan Member Posts: 15
    Don't like it a bit. Game content updates will be poor and slow, also I hate advertisements. It adds to bandwidth and computer process.. just imagine a computer that only able to play a games like RO... while on pvp flashy ads came up, computer hangs for a second.. then you're dead. image

Play now! Sleep later...

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Probably not because the budget would have to be so low that I can't imagine what they could possibly make.  

It depends on how much advertising is the game.

Network tv shows cost like $2M an episode to make. A 20 episode season costs like $40M. And we are not even talking about hit shows like Friends (which costs a LOT more than $2M an episode till the end).

$40M a year is much better budget than most MMOs out there.