Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

C/SH SH0P

zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

The one thing we know for a fact about EQN is that is will have a PS2 style cashshop, and not a sub option, subs still work for many sandboxes such as EVE and makes sense given the way economies and progression work in them. I cannot see how a cashshop will not undercut crafting and player made content.

I thought my concerns may be shared by other here, so we should chat about it... proceed.

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Dont much care about cash shops, long as the game is good.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Are you sure there is no sub option?  I am subbed to PS2 right now.

In any case, I worry the game won't really be the type of "sandbox" game most of us are expecting.

For all I know it could be a standard bleed us dry themepark cash shop MMO with this storybricks content stuff added on so they can say "look! sandbox!"

I'm not trying to call it. I have hopes the game will be great. The question you pose has concerned me though and until August 2nd i'm not going to discount anything.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by zevni78

The one thing we know for a fact about EQN is that is will have a PS2 style cashshop, and not a sub option, subs still work for many sandboxes such as EVE and makes sense given the way economies and progression work in them. I cannot see how a cashshop will not undercut crafting and player made content.

I thought my concerns may be shared by other here, so we should chat about it... proceed.

I didn't see where they said it wouldn't have a sub option.  I thought it was to be the same as all their other f2p games.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Not going to bother with this MMO if there's no sub option.

I can't afford to play "F2P" MMOs.

I don't want to make it all the way to Mount Doom and a pop-up in the middle of my screen says "Congrats! You've made it to Mount Doom! Please pay 6000 SOE Bucks to enter."

I don't want to spend hours questing and raiding for top gear items only to get a pop-up in the middle of my screen telling me to "Pay 9000 SOE Bucks to use this item. Click here for more details."

No thanks.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I was told it would have no sub option, but if it does that makes me more optimistic, at least about being made to spend a lot in the CS, as a sub should mean we get enough perks to not need to. But still, they will have to fill the shop with something, and I wonder what could be in there not won't effect the freedom a sandbox should have.

I am also one of those worried that "sandbox" to Smedly means dungeon foundry and storybricks quests, and not in-game world manipulation. What I really want is a AAA Wurm Online, not just a themepark built by other players.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    If the cash shop in EQN is like the one in PS2 then i won't be touching the game, regardless of how good it might, or might not be. I just don't like pay to win games, and with a cash shop like PS2 your going to see items like Vorpal swords, or Flametongues etc being sold for real cash. The PS2 cash shop is a blight, plain and simple, and a game would have to be more than just 'awesome' to overcome the negative factor it would bring to the game. Or they could go the Cryptic/PWI road and sell you keys for real money that unlock special in game loot boxes.  Both routes have a degree of epic failness though. So seeing how the cash shop is run will really be the making or breaking of the game, although have to say, cash shops by far and away, are more likely to break a game than make it.image
  • vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Phry
    If the cash shop in EQN is like the one in PS2 then i won't be touching the game, regardless of how good it might, or might not be. I just don't like pay to win games, and with a cash shop like PS2 your going to see items like Vorpal swords, or Flametongues etc being sold for real cash. The PS2 cash shop is a blight, plain and simple, and a game would have to be more than just 'awesome' to overcome the negative factor it would bring to the game. Or they could go the Cryptic/PWI road and sell you keys for real money that unlock special in game loot boxes.  Both routes have a degree of epic failness though. So seeing how the cash shop is run will really be the making or breaking of the game, although have to say, cash shops by far and away, are more likely to break a game than make it.image

I have to admit, my time in PS2 was clouded by the CS.  I'm not sure how it is now, but being able to unlock weapons for some of the vehicles that annihilated peeps without such weapons drove my mates and I away from it.  A FPS should be skilled based, not who has the best armaments (a bb-gun is no match to a mini-gun).  Besides, what military expects its soldiers to use their grandfather's gun or spend their own money on modern weaponry?  I sincerely hope they do not have the same plans for EQN.

Cheers!

Edit: and these same issues are driving me from Neverwinter as well, just to add.

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by NorseGod

I don't want to spend hours questing and raiding for top gear items only to get a pop-up in the middle of my screen telling me to "Pay 9000 SOE Bucks to use this item. Click here for more details."

"Buy a key to open your lockbox"

lol F2P

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Waterlily

lol F2P

Buy expansion to keep leveling

lol P2P

Subscription gets you everything! Until we want you to pay more.

lol F2P

"We're sorry, but the timer on your Item Use Authorization has expired. To equip this item, please see our Cash Shop for details."

We're sorry, but you have exceeded the amount of times Authorized to Use this Ability. To continue to use this ability, please see our cash shop for details."

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

lol F2P

lol P2P

Like EVE?

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    There will be a Sub option

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

In my experience, cash shops take away from other game systems in an mmo.

• Monamia222Monamia222 Member Posts: 53

I never minded paying for expansions every 6 months or so.  Its better than having to switch games every 6 months, imo.

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198

lol F2P

lol P2P

I think your calculator is broken.  Do you actually think a free game with a cash shop is cheaper in the long run?  I suppose if you just dabble in the mediocre parts of a game and enjoy playing the supporting cast to the exceptional then yes, so welcome to mediocrity  Enjoy your stay.  I prefer exceptional and exceptional in a F2P with cash shop costs far more than a P2P with a sub.  This is not debatable.

Its easy to sniff out the average players and financially challenged.  They all love F2P's.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

I do fear the cash shop. I do fear that EQN may end up being like every other F2P MMO I've tried which was essentially play for a week or 2, realize the game costs about 5 x more then a standard subscription game and then quit.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

I do fear the cash shop. I do fear that EQN may end up being like every other F2P MMO I've tried which was essentially play for a week or 2, realize the game costs about 5 x more then a standard subscription game and then quit.

Or, just pay for the sub and ignore the cash shop?

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Iadien

Can it be ignored? Is a sub confirmed? Will others that I play with be gimped free players?

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Can it be ignored? Is a sub confirmed? Will others that I play with be gimped free players?

All of SOE's games have a sub, it's in their F2P system at a fundamental level and you'll likely see kronos in it as well.

To everyone who keeps moaning about F2P: Hey at least we get to try our games before deciding if we love getting screwed over by the developer, you guys don't really get that choice :).

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

We have very little facts at this point, and that is not one of them.

It will be FTP.  We do know that.  Will it be tiered like the other EQ games, which includes a sub option?  We don't enough info to know at this point-- that is, unless you have a new link where Dave talks more elaborately about how they are going to manage FTP.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama

lol F2P

lol P2P

I think your calculator is broken.  Do you actually think a free game with a cash shop is cheaper in the long run?  I suppose if you just dabble in the mediocre parts of a game and enjoy playing the supporting cast to the exceptional then yes, so welcome to mediocrity  Enjoy your stay.  I prefer exceptional and exceptional in a F2P with cash shop costs far more than a P2P with a sub.  This is not debatable.

Its easy to sniff out the average players and financially challenged.  They all love F2P's.

Actually I play all types of MMOs. And if financially challenged players were the only ones who liked F2P they wouldn't make any money would they?

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

EQ, EQ2, and Vanguard (I hear PS2 is similar) all have tiered system.  You can sub and completely ignore the Cash Shop if you want.  There aren't any game changing items in their stores, as they consist of mounts, housing, appearance items, xp boosts and such-- things that are not needed, but are nice to have if you want to spend the extra cash on them.  If you do not sub, you will find that you have restrictions in areas like inventory and character slots, race and class availability, access to the Auction House, gear quality cap, etc.  You can unlock those areas individually for a fee, or simply sub and have access to everything.  EQN should follow the same route, but we'll find out soon enough.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    I suppose there is no point to this thread (or many others) really as we should know all on Aug2, we had better get all important details on EQN and not just the start of a hype build-up. Black boxing it is annoying but it least it should mean we don't get a long drawn out wait and tease like we did with swtor and others.
  • Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

I was told it would have no sub option, but if it does that makes me more optimistic, at least about being made to spend a lot in the CS, as a sub should mean we get enough perks to not need to. But still, they will have to fill the shop with something, and I wonder what could be in there not won't effect the freedom a sandbox should have.

I am also one of those worried that "sandbox" to Smedly means dungeon foundry and storybricks quests, and not in-game world manipulation. What I really want is a AAA Wurm Online, not just a themepark built by other players.

All SOE games are F2P with a sub option that makes the game completely playable.

Some games require an additional expansion pack purchase (like EQ) to get access to new lands and such, but for the most part, EQN will be much like PS2.

F2P for tons of content, Subscription that gives you perks/access to the rest of any missing without it, and a cash shop to quick buy specific items you want.

But if you sub for EQN (remember the subs also give you free Station Cash every month), you won't have any issues with EQN.  Anything you buy past the sub will be completely optional.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama

lol F2P

lol P2P

Actually I play all types of MMOs. And if financially challenged players were the only ones who liked F2P they wouldn't make any money would they?

You are correct, but you ignored the FIRST group he mentioned, the "average players".  I do not necessarily agree with him, but it is known that a small user of knuckle heads that blow cash in P2W style cash shops keep them afloat.  Over the younger generation of MMO player the ability to buy a badass sword or raid for hours to get it and many will buy it because they must have instant gratification and prefer it to earning something.