Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From Tera to Neverwinter?

AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of leaving Tera to play Neverwinter. Would you recommened it? Does anyone of you share this experience and is able to compare it with each other, from leveling experience up to elder game? 

Thank you very much, I would appreciate some advice.

Comments

• aromeroaromero Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by Abrraham
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking of leaving Tera to play Neverwinter. Would you recommened it? Does anyone of you share this experience and is able to compare it with each other, from leveling experience up to elder game? 

I left Tera some months ago and started Neverwinter...glad I did. :)

• Pandaman102Pandaman102 Member Posts: 94
    As much as I hate on Cryptic, I say just give NWO a shot. As long as you don't buy anything all it'll cost you is the download and drive space. You can hit max level and experience all the non-Foundry content under a month, so it won't take long to decide how it stacks up against TERA.
  • Well from a purely talking combat perspective Tera and NWO share a decent amount in basic mechanics, but there are some key separations due to the sort of east vs west thing.

What I mean by that is that Tera is more like Street Fighter or Tekken with certain pre-made "chains".  Whereas NWO is a bit more open although also more restictive.  NWO doesn't tell you what chains you will do, but it also limits what your loadout is.  A class in NWO will probably wind up playing similar to a Tera class as far as having various "chains" in particular orders you wish to do but you have a bit more hand in making them at the expense of less options at anyone time (sort of in a GW/GW2 kind of way, but also in line with 4th edition D&D).

As for content NWO is really designed different than TERA in both content and in overall social useage.  Tera bills itself as a typical traditional asian EQ/WoW type MMO with some asian type competitve socialization.  NWO on the other is almost the complete opposite in that it bills itself as resembling an MMO but is more about individual stand alone "bits" of content and the social part is in deiscreet units and the ability to make these bits.

Edit: also there is no real counterpart to BAM.  There are a few cases such as the large Demons to the 30-ish area but they really are not the same thing.  However the normal monsters are a bit more interesting

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by gestalt11

Well from a purely talking combat perspective Tera and NWO share a decent amount in basic mechanics, but there are some key separations due to the sort of east vs west thing. 

Not entirely true.  While both games use a self rooting style to give the combat a more visceral feeling (this is without debate as to why its done) Tera's combat styles and animations take 1.25 to 1.5 sec on their most basic attacks to cycle through and complete.  Neverwinter's attack animations take .25 to .50 sec to complete and the difference between action, smoothness and fluidity is night and day.  If your going to self root, and really you should because it makes the combat more fluid unlike the floaty GW2 style, then you should reduce the combat animation down as much as possible and IMO Neverwinter's combat is the best I've ever played.  Unfortunately (and this is due to IP restrictions) 3 encounter abilities is not quite enough.  Would love to see a minimum of 5 but 8 is the magic number to me in a limited hotbar, deck building style combat system.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• LithiumTeaLithiumTea Member Posts: 16
    I spent a good number of hours playing Tera.

I like NWO better. But I will leave fast if they do not fix the CASH/GREED Shop
  • Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by gestalt11

Well from a purely talking combat perspective Tera and NWO share a decent amount in basic mechanics, but there are some key separations due to the sort of east vs west thing. 

Not entirely true.  While both games use a self rooting style to give the combat a more visceral feeling (this is without debate as to why its done) Tera's combat styles and animations take 1.25 to 1.5 sec on their most basic attacks to cycle through and complete.  Neverwinter's attack animations take .25 to .50 sec to complete and the difference between action, smoothness and fluidity is night and day.  If your going to self root, and really you should because it makes the combat more fluid unlike the floaty GW2 style, then you should reduce the combat animation down as much as possible and IMO Neverwinter's combat is the best I've ever played.  Unfortunately (and this is due to IP restrictions) 3 encounter abilities is not quite enough.  Would love to see a minimum of 5 but 8 is the magic number to me in a limited hotbar, deck building style combat system.

Yeah this seems accurate to me and I was not getting to that level of detail in my post.  Its been a while since I played TERA but yeah TERA has this feel where the animations are just long enough that you get a "pause to think" of the next bit in the chain.  But NWO is a good bit faster.

Fluidity and speed should be confused with each.  Both games can be played fluidly as long as you time everything right.  But TERA's mindset is more like this to this to this and timing each one right rather than purely reacting fast.

NWO is yeah probably half as long on the animation so its more reactive rather than planning.  In TERA you really must be planning a move or two or three ahead and the longer animation make timing things efficiently trickier.  In NWO you may be planning a move ahead but can also be fairly reactive fairly quickly.  So people call this more fluid.  I personally would not use that term rather it more about being locked into a chain and what options are available at any instant.

In some ways NWO is closer to Dragon's Nest combat than TERA.

Originally posted by Abrraham

Hey guys,

IMO Neverwinter is a superior game because the combat is smoother and faster and the setting and lore is dark and grittier.   Endgame of Neverwinter is pretty bad right now though and its easy (like all MMO's in the last 6+ years) to run out of content to do.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DoctorhooDoctorhoo Member UncommonPosts: 235

My Personal Opinion is TERA, Rift, and NWO are all good games and with each of them F2P its easy to try them each.  It is easy to come back to any of them if you found you liked a specific aspect of the game.

Next NWO Expansion is August 22.   I didn't see anyone mention this but Current endgame is increasing your Gear Score with Epic Dungeon Runs / Auction House purchases or PvP.   Don't look for Traditional Raiding in it though (Grym is something else).

Originally posted by Doctorhoo

My Personal Opinion is TERA, Rift, and NWO are all good games and with each of them F2P its easy to try them each.  It is easy to come back to any of them if you found you liked a specific aspect of the game.

Next NWO Expansion is August 22.   I didn't see anyone mention this but Current endgame is increasing your Gear Score with Epic Dungeon Runs / Auction House purchases or PvP.   Don't look for Traditional Raiding in it though (Grym is something else).

This pretty sums up my sentiments too although for me I mix in Dragon's Prophet and Raiderz because I enjoy the faster paced action combat way more then tab target or slower Tera paced action combat.  I'll be putting GW2 back on my play list as soon as the patch comes to add new skills and feats.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

I flip flopped between the two for a while and ended up with Tera.

Things Tera does better (IMO):

1. Melee combat - just feels better, the dodging; positioning, movement, impact, etc.  Ridiculously fun melee classes like Warrior and Slayer.
    2. Tanking - Lancer and warrior tanking is ridiculously satisfying and heavily skill/experienced based.  No other game has anything like tanking a giant as monster the way Tera does.
    3. Graphics - environmental and character models, huge win for Tera here
    4. Boss Design encounters - saying nothing of open world BAMs, which are awesome and NWO has nothing like; the actual instance encounters are far better designed.    High level dungeon encounters are based on recognizable patterns and require you to act quickly/promptly to avoid damage and you need to work in a coordinated effort to achieve objectives.  It's nowhere near as cheesy as many of the NWO boss encounters tend to be at the higher dungeons.
    5. Armor asthetics - the armor and weapon designs are the best in the business, whether you like slutty chainmail bikini's, intricate robes, or some of the most gorgeous and beefy platemail in MMOs.
    6. Monster design- just some really cool and unique monster design; although they do recycle designs a lot (but so does NWO)
    7. Combat Complexity - just way more to work with, you're too limited by the handful of powers you get in NWO
    8. Open world design - the actual Tera open game world is gorgeous and well designed while feeling relatively large even with it's instancing; NWO is pretty bland and small from an open world perspective.  They both have really nice cities, but Tera's are gorgeous, especially from a Unicorn's perspective.
    9. Game rewards skilled play significantly more than NWO.  
    10. Cash shop- it doesn't weigh as heavily on the game as NWO, nor are the prices as ridiculous

Things NWO does better:

1. Range combat-  it just feels and looks more natural in NWO.  I dislike playing a ranged class in Tera, whereas I enjoy it in NWO.  The CW in particular is just a blast to play.
    2. Spell effects- spells and particle effects look and feel better.  You also get cooler spells to play with (force chokes and knockbacks, etc)
    3. Healing- healing in Tera has some weird lock on stuff that I never got used too, granted I'm not a healer.  But the NWO healing classes just felt less forced to me.  The mystic class is pretty unique and interesting though.
    4. Dungeons design/graphics- as you might imagine, the dungeons in a dungeons and dragons game are more intricate and well designed.  Most of Tera's dungeons use the same textures and designs over and over again, and are quite boring; especially while leveling
    5. Gear structuring- you don't have the haphazard "where the hell am I suppose to go to get new gear" stuff you do in Tera at level cap
    6. Accessibility- the game's easier to get into at end-game. It's also easier in general, with a player having to master significantly less skills. Tera's end-game is a disjointed series of dungeons; many with mediocre or near worthless rewards.  NWO follows a fairly structured tier system.  Tera is also ridiculously unyielding when it comes to mistakes in the harder dungeons, and there is no room for slack.  Can be very difficult to carry mediocre players.
    7. Lore- It's Forgotten Realms...
    8. Cash shop - different reason than Tera; Cryptic just feeds a lot more into their cash shops, so you have more options and a constant flow of them
    9. Questing(leveling)- both of these games have crap questing systems, but Tera's is just much more wearing on the nerves.

I also give Tera an edge in things like classes and races; but I doubt they'll hold that edge for too long as NWO is almost guaranteed to add a bunch of both.  NWO also has the foundry, which I personally found didn't groove with my playstyle at all, but I can see why certain types of gamers would like it.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    @Dreamos
    Dont know where you get ur information, but point 7 is not right...
    Neverwinter is not related to Neverwinter nights or Forgotten Realms...

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by snoocky
    @Dreamos
    Dont know where you get ur information, but point 7 is not right...
    Neverwinter is not related to Neverwinter nights or Forgotten Realms...

Can't tell if sarcastic or dumb.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

I only played tera for a week, but enought to know that Tera and NW are two totally different games, NW if free to play so just give it a try :) . I was on the fence as well, til my buddy started playing it, and every time we talk he would drop NW into the conversation. So I downloaded it last night, and stayed up way to late :) .

The combat is similar only in the sense of mobility, after that it 2 way different styles IMO. Its is FUN imo and thats the biggest thing that matters for me at least.

One other thing to note, Tera is Open World while NW is Instanced, witch for me again, was no big deal...hell most people say they want an open world,but then complain when there is no Dungeon finder in the game lol.

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524
    Both games have similar end-game (read: none).

Eleanor Rigby.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by Treekodar
    Both games have similar end-game (read: none).

My end game is usually smashing shit with my friends, when we get there, at least with games like this :) .

• Originally posted by Draemos

I flip flopped between the two for a while and ended up with Tera.

Things Tera does better (IMO):

1. Melee combat - just feels better, the dodging; positioning, movement, impact, etc.  Ridiculously fun melee classes like Warrior and Slayer.
    2. Tanking - Lancer and warrior tanking is ridiculously satisfying and heavily skill/experienced based.  No other game has anything like tanking a giant as monster the way Tera does.
    3. Graphics - environmental and character models, huge win for Tera here
    4. Boss Design encounters - saying nothing of open world BAMs, which are awesome and NWO has nothing like; the actual instance encounters are far better designed.    High level dungeon encounters are based on recognizable patterns and require you to act quickly/promptly to avoid damage and you need to work in a coordinated effort to achieve objectives.  It's nowhere near as cheesy as many of the NWO boss encounters tend to be at the higher dungeons.
    5. Armor asthetics - the armor and weapon designs are the best in the business, whether you like slutty chainmail bikini's, intricate robes, or some of the most gorgeous and beefy platemail in MMOs.
    6. Monster design- just some really cool and unique monster design; although they do recycle designs a lot (but so does NWO)
    7. Combat Complexity - just way more to work with, you're too limited by the handful of powers you get in NWO
    8. Open world design - the actual Tera open game world is gorgeous and well designed while feeling relatively large even with it's instancing; NWO is pretty bland and small from an open world perspective.  They both have really nice cities, but Tera's are gorgeous, especially from a Unicorn's perspective.
    9. Game rewards skilled play significantly more than NWO.  
    10. Cash shop- it doesn't weigh as heavily on the game as NWO, nor are the prices as ridiculous

Things NWO does better:

1. Range combat-  it just feels and looks more natural in NWO.  I dislike playing a ranged class in Tera, whereas I enjoy it in NWO.  The CW in particular is just a blast to play.
    2. Spell effects- spells and particle effects look and feel better.  You also get cooler spells to play with (force chokes and knockbacks, etc)
    3. Healing- healing in Tera has some weird lock on stuff that I never got used too, granted I'm not a healer.  But the NWO healing classes just felt less forced to me.  The mystic class is pretty unique and interesting though.
    4. Dungeons design/graphics- as you might imagine, the dungeons in a dungeons and dragons game are more intricate and well designed.  Most of Tera's dungeons use the same textures and designs over and over again, and are quite boring; especially while leveling
    5. Gear structuring- you don't have the haphazard "where the hell am I suppose to go to get new gear" stuff you do in Tera at level cap
    6. Accessibility- the game's easier to get into at end-game. It's also easier in general, with a player having to master significantly less skills. Tera's end-game is a disjointed series of dungeons; many with mediocre or near worthless rewards.  NWO follows a fairly structured tier system.  Tera is also ridiculously unyielding when it comes to mistakes in the harder dungeons, and there is no room for slack.  Can be very difficult to carry mediocre players.
    7. Lore- It's Forgotten Realms...
    8. Cash shop - different reason than Tera; Cryptic just feeds a lot more into their cash shops, so you have more options and a constant flow of them
    9. Questing(leveling)- both of these games have crap questing systems, but Tera's is just much more wearing on the nerves.

I also give Tera an edge in things like classes and races; but I doubt they'll hold that edge for too long as NWO is almost guaranteed to add a bunch of both.  NWO also has the foundry, which I personally found didn't groove with my playstyle at all, but I can see why certain types of gamers would like it.

This is a pretty good summation however I don't agree that TERA melee is objectively better, rather I would say they are both good and its a matter of taste.

Ranged is a different story, I would go so far to say NW ranged is objectively better, or at the very least you would REALLY have to like some certain mechanics in TERA to give it the edge there.

I have played both Warrior and Slayer to over 30 in TERA (not to end game levels) and soloed BAMs with each class.  Soloing a BAM with those classes takes solid timing and can be quite intricate.  Its also a long slog and you must really be the type of person that like the feeling of executing solid timing for 5 minutes straight to enjoy it.  This is quite different than NW.

As far as tanking, Warrior tanking definitely novel and very challenging/requires skill for both the warrior and an understanding for the other players.  But I would not say that the same can be said of Lancer.  I haven't played it, but my observation and the general consensus seemed to be that lancer was a fairly typical and fairly simple threat-wise/mitigation wise.

Warrior/Slayer are dodge classes in TERA.  Lancer and Berzerker are block classes.  There is no true equivalent to TERA warrior in NW, although rogues can kinda tank in a certain way its still completely different than a TERA Warrior.  You could say a 2H warrior of NW is a slayer and that a Guardian is a Lancer.  But I don't think that is all that accurate.  2H and Slayer seem superficially similar but Slayer in TERA has a lot of knockback and travel.  So the Slayer uses disables and certain attacks as "extra dodges", which is a very different playstyle than 2H.  The two TERA dodge classes absolutely must line up both combos and positioning in a proper way with proper timing and often keep a invuln frame trump card handy and they must do so with little margin for error for extended periods of time.  And if they don't they need to tacticall retreat immediately until they can line up their bag of tricks again.  NW sort of has this but its much tighter and extended on a much longer time frame in TERA, especially for BAMs.

For me personally I think soloing BAMs was very fun and challenging but it just took way way too long and got ponderous.  Also many BAMs start having gimics making them unsoloable or extremely hard to solo without certain things and mitigate that feeling of skill.

Its hard to describe this difference, you really have to play it.  Warriors for example must specifically make use of a certain ability later on in the game that jump them high into the air.  They have a certain timeframe where they are invulnerable during that jump.  This acts as a "second dodge" but you have to time it extremely tightly because the whole animation is not invulnerable so you have to time it to a BAMs attack with a very small margin of error.  Due to the way some BAMs work you will basically die without executing this right as their attacks are very powerful and you normal dodge won't be frequent enough.

On the other hand the normal mobs in TERA are so easy this sort of thing is not even close to necessary which is one of the things that makes the normal questing even worse in TERA than NW.

As for Forgotten Realms, NW is using the 4th edition version of the setting where a huge cataclysm had made vast changes to the entire world.  Thus elves are different as the Faewild has encroached intp this world and some continents have been swapped with analogous continents from a parallel world.