Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wondering why men play female characters?

DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

This.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvtC3RIbQlE#at=22

Why would I want to look at the ass of a male character?  :D

Comments

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I typically play female characters because they look cuter and typically have nicer looking armor.  So in other words I play female characters for the eye candy.
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

When staring at the screen for hours, lookin g at the backside of my character I'd rather watch a female backside.

Additionally, devs tend to spend more time designing females aswell. They generally look better in every game. Better faces, better armor, better animations, etc.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334

The 'main' character I play through all MMOs goes back to Neverwinter Nights (the Bioware/Atari version)

It was originally going to be a male Elven Warrior. However, not long after starting to play, I realized how horribly the male characters were animated. They ran, literally, like they had to take a dump. It was horrible. Females, on the other hand, were animated beautifully. So.. I switched over to a female character.

One of the PW's I played on in NwN was a RP server, and so I did a kind of "RP lite". I didn't try to full on RP a female character, but I injected personality to my character that were personality-based - certain quirks, etc - not gender based. I could have played either a male or female character and it wouldn't have made a difference.

I grew to really enjoy that character and created them on every NwN PW I played. So, when I made the jump to my first full-blown MMO (you could call NwN my "gateway drug"), I decided to bring that character with me. And so, on pretty much every MMO I play, I have the same character, same name, same race (Elven when available) and same class (Warrior, or similar), with black hair and, when an option, green eyes. I've only deviated from that when a given option wasn't available, or I didn't like a given MMO's incarnation of it.

That's the story in a nutshell for me. And that's literally all there is to it. It's amazing how many times people will try to put me on the defensive, though, about "why a dude is playing a female character". It simply doesn't matter to me, because my character on-screen is not representative of me as a person. I don't believe I'm a female Elven Warrior when I'm playing a MMO, any more than I believe I'm Lara Croft when playing Tomb Raider, or Samus Aran when playing Metroid, etc...

I think some people read way too much into it, personally.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

Why would I want to look at the ass of a male character?  :D

Why are you so distracted by a doods ass?

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    I find more disturbing why humans play orcs or elves, when they could be playing humans.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    I find more disturbing why humans play orcs or elves, when they could be playing humans.

This is why I always go troll.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Nice video OP..lol!! image

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

I find it more disturbing that humans play humans (which they are 24/7 anyway obviously) instead of trying something new. ;)

@OP Thx for new screen saver. Who is chasing her ? ^^

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Yalexy

Additionally, devs tend to spend more time designing females aswell. They generally look better in every game. Better faces, better armor, better animations, etc.

That's because most  designers are male and they have studied women from when they were 15 year old boys. They know what looks good on a woman, but they're not aware what a male needs to look good.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

I'm a gay male who plays male chars.  Since this thread was to show off a youtube vid I'll back at you and show off my youtube vid.  It's a tasteful documentary nothing as fun.  The subject of this thread seems to have focused on how poorly male chars are created.  To that I would say I appreciate sims 2 with phallus mods and blur unrendered (non mmo) and Aion as top tributes to male rendering.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

I play both Male & Female in every mmo i have the following

Quazal < My Main male account/toon

Quazaline < My Main female account/toon, I have backstories created for them both, Basicalyl brother and sister, then the story fits around what ever game im playing

So for me little bit of role-play but role play out of game not ingame, 

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    If a game has decent customisation I usually make my first character male, try to make him look similar to me. If the game has piss poor options I just go for female.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

I'm a gay male who plays male chars.  Since this thread was to show off a youtube vid I'll back at you and show off my youtube vid.  It's a tasteful documentary nothing as fun.  The subject of this thread seems to have focused on how poorly male chars are created.  To that I would say I appreciate sims 2 with phallus mods and blur unrendered (non mmo) and Aion as top tributes to male rendering. 

It does seem not a lot of thought goes into the models for male characters.  I thought WoW's were awful - all weird chunks and blocky angles.  Some other games make them weirdly androgynous. 

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

Very funny and enlightening video, I didn't realize this was even a topic.

As for playing female characters, I used to use the butt argument but I never really understood why until I saw one of Bill Burr's stand up routines.  He sums it up nicely in the last minute or so. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LJ4_qpMRPAc

• KBishopKBishop Member Posts: 205

Who... cares?

Why do women play male characters?

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by KBishop

Who... cares?

typically to avoid sexual harassment.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by aspekx

Who... cares?

Thats really taking an eronious leap of faith. Where do you have any evidence to support this? That would also call into question why men play women as they realistically should be sexually harassed

excellent vid, thanks for sharing that.

Who... cares?

Thats really taking an eronious leap of faith. Where do you have any evidence to support this? That would also call into question why men play women as they realistically should be sexually harassed

first of all, i will admit that my evidence is the kind being gathered here, anecdotal. so deny the evidence in this thread and deny my evidence at the same time, but for this particular argument it would be hard to pick and choose.

secondly, i fail to see how this calls into question why straight men playing female characters dont get sexually harassed. males ingame are almost never subjected to sexual jokes, rape jokes, male genital references, references to sexual acts performed on or against a woman. and all of this can be had in public chat channels as well as voip.

compare this to the experience of male characters who are almost never subjected to a barrage of /tells requesting sexual favors, complimenting their 'looks' (as odd as that may be), or their real name. and of course the list goes on. (this part i know from playing female toons.)

[sorry edited b/c i left out part of the first sentence of the second paragraph.]

Who... cares?

first of all, i will admit that my evidence is the kind being gathered here, anecdotal. so deny the evidence in this thread and deny my evidence at the same time, but for this particular argument it would be hard to pick and choose.

secondly, i fail to see how this calls into question why straight men play female characters dont get sexually harassed. males ingame are almost never subjected to sexual jokes, rape jokes, male genital references, references to sexual acts performed on or against a woman. and all of this can be had in public chat channels as well as voip.

compare this to the experience of male characters who are almost never subjected to a barrage of /tells requesting sexual favors, complimenting their 'looks' (as odd as that may be), or their real name. and of course the list goes on. (this part i know from playing female toons.)

Well, I guess we can take this thread in good faith, however at the same token, I have about 10 close female friends all of which who play female characters, and none of them have even so much as given a hint of having a problem for playing a female character and in some cases have actually gotten things because of it.

The point of that was the assumption that females play male characters to avoid sexual harassment. This infers that the problem is the female character. Unless you meant something else, that is what I am gathering. From that concept, I deduce that the problem is the female character, to which I ask why men aren't having that same problem.

Conversely, I've played female characters for many years and have never even come close to getting so much as a random tell from anyone, so while I don't doubt the validity of the statement, I do question the amount of it.

I don't disagree that women are subject to inappropriate behavior targeted specifically towards them though

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Random selection

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    You are already playing with electronic dolls, so why not make them girl dolls?image
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

There will never be a unified answer to the question, since people do it for different reasons.

I've even met a guy who told me he had transgender fantasies as in wanting to be female himself, as the cause of why he played female toons. I also had a friend who pretended to be female in real life as well as in the game, which backfired when a guy developed a hard crush on him. My friend had to come clean at that point but the other guy left the game permanently. Fun stuff

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by KingGator

Your character in game is your avatar,  it is a stylized projection of how you see yourself or how you'd like to see yourself,

lol

It is just a video game. some pixels on the screen, lets not turn this into some psychobabblebullshit

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

I play both just to mix things up. My casters are usually female. It usually just depends on how they look tho.

This discussion has been closed.