Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoE has the most dishonest payment model of all MMO companies.

124»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Scot

The model SOE is using has become the standard industry model. It started as the Turbine model, and you are seeing it everywhere now. Turbines was possibly the best version, but that may have been because they used it on DDO and Lotro which were P2P MMO's originally.

The combination of cashshop and subscriptions was a marketing dream and now it is a reality. Now all we need are in game adverts to put icing on the cake.

I have talked before about how P2P and F2P are merging as a financial model, it is only the need to pay in a P2P MMO that stands between them now. What players need to understand is that this is not about P2P and F2P in gaming companies eyes. It is about what makes the most money. The days of the old MMO gaming pioneers died years ago, and now gaming ethos has been flushed down the toilet.

My best advice, get yourself a good guild and do your own thing, because what's on offer is a B2W joke.

How I think Scott sees the gaming industry today:

I try to keep calm, but you need to let slip the dogs of war every now and then. :D

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Waterlily

While people argue about P2P and F2P.

(I greatly prefer P2P)

SoE does something very different from both P2P and F2P.

Their games are called F2P, but they include:

-$15 monthly P2P subscriptions within the same game to unlock levels / classes / abilities

-the buying of expansions

-cash shop

So what SoE does is combine a cash shop with F2P, and with P2P.

Tell me again why this company is still in business.

Agree 100%

It stays in Business because of fans of EQ series. I believe if the series was run by a Different company, It would be SO much better. BUT that's My Opinion.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

The reality is that people end up spending MORE ($27/mo on average) than they would on a subscription based game.

Nope. Data shows that reality is that most people don't pay a cent, and a small percentage of whales pays through their nose (or nozzle?).

Personally it works for me. F2P games are free to  me.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk
    Originally posted by JustARandomPanda
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk
    Yeah , PWI/Cryptic although F2P is extremely overpriced. Once you order you get no receipt of what you purchased and there's no log or method of purchase history. There's no way to dispute a purchase unless you keep meticulous records and keep a screen shot record of every dime spent.

Actually that is not true. I've received an email receipt of my purchases everytime. Also you can log into your account on PWI's site and in your account history you'll actually see a running log of all purchases that have ever been made by you plus the date they were made + the amount and a tracking number.

Perhaps I misread something in this thread , or you're just plain wrong.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/352/view/forums/post/5832463#5832463

No, he's right on all accounts.  I have gotten email receipts, there is an account history with a running log of purchases with everything he mentioned.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?