Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO do you miss?

Comments

• sharpshadesharpshade Member UncommonPosts: 58
    City of Heroes/Villains for sure! I've really really been missing that game a lot lately. It makes me so sad that it's gone. There hasn't been another like it since. Champions online isn't my favorite art style and DC Universe isn't pc friendly for me, not unless I want to get a controller for my computer, which I'm not doing. I'd be so happy if they announced a City of Heroes/Villains 2 or something. =(
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

City of Heroes/Villians is the big one for me. image

Spellborn was a really fun game I miss as well, tanking as a blood warrior was a lot of fun, very similar to a blood mage in Vanguard. The people running the game just couldn't get it together...I wish it had been sold to someone who actually planned/could've done something with the game. Disney just took it and completely abandoned it iirc.

MxO was also fun, played it a good bit with some people from school back in the day.

Seems like it's always the games that try to genuinely do something different end up getting canned.

• ketzerei84ketzerei84 Member UncommonPosts: 81

Tabula Rasa and Spellborn

Oldschool EQ is available for free a la project1999, as is swg a la swgemu that being the case they dont make it onto my list.

Playing: Secret World: Legends

Waiting for: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• ketzerei84ketzerei84 Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally found in ste2000's signature

Zenimax.......players want Skyrim Online. They do NOT want WOWTES

No, we don't. We want Fallout Online. There are far too many fantasy-genre MMOs anyway.

Playing: Secret World: Legends

Waiting for: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I miss Dark Age of Camelot, pre New Frontiers and Trials of Atlantis. That was by far the most fun I've ever had in gaming.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I was going to say the usual, Pre Trammel UO, Dark Age of Camelot, early EQ, ect, but I realized its not true.

I miss Middle Earth Online.

For many MMOs they're dead and gone and can't be brought back. With MEO, I watch as its bastardized and renamed remains continue to swindle money out of WoW burnouts.

Middle Earth Online had the best pre-release MMO community of any game I've ever seen. No fans were more devoted to that game and that universe. There were so many posts from veteran MMO developers who were hell bent on making an accurate Middle Earth that characters could LIVE in, and spend their time interacting with the races and exploring. They got to a playable alpha state (which in today's terminology would be called an early closed beta) and then...

Then Turbine won exclusive rights to it (before they were developing with Tolkien Enterprises or something) and what do they do? They shuffle most of the veteran devs off to other projects and bring in a bunch of young ones, and proceed to remove almost every interesting feature. They replaced these features with invisible walls, instances, linear quest hubs, basically, they made it a WoW clone.

They split the EU and US community, something they promised they wouldn't do. Kinships fell apart, most of the veteran supporters left. The community got a hell of a lot worse. The game's tag line went from "Live in Middle Earth" to "Fight through Middle Earth!". And the name changed from MEO to Lord of the Rings Online.

Such was my devotion that I tried to play the game. I was in early alpha and I played and bought the game at release. But I lasted maybe a few weeks. It was just too horrible to keep going.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I miss Neocron.  It was my first MMO and was a sandbox with open world PVP, with about 5 separate factions all wrapped up in a cyberpunk setting to include implants, network hacking, housing and with vehicles capable of carrying multiple characters to act as drivers or gunners depending on the vehicle. 

I will always fondly remember my first day playing and being chased up a sewer ladder by another player trying to shove the equivalent of a lightsaber up me bunghole.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• xxxxxx1xxxxxx1 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Vanilla WoW.
  • ZenoLocZenoLoc Member UncommonPosts: 71
    SWG-PreCU
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    i miss vanila wow before the noob flood gates opened up
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

An open world 3.5 edition D&D Forgotten Realms MMO....  with fps targetting and factional (and yes there are many many many Factions in the forgotten realms, so it would be 10s of factions that could all have treaties or not with eachother) PvP.

So actually it was never made... and those that got a chance at it, hurt the IP even more.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    City of Heroes/Villains/Rogues. One of the few MMORPGs that was simply fun from the ground up.

<3

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

I miss any MMO before 2003.... especially DAoC pre-ToA....

after that year MMOs became cool and the People I had very much enjoyed gaming with in MMOs got run over by 50 million screaming kids and yuppies. Nothing in MMOs has been the same since.

I still say the People that played MMOs before 2003 were infact a very different group of People than play MMOs since then, call me evil or a jerk if you want, but I won't mix words about it. The genre changed when the customers groups targeted with MMO advertizing changed. Even today what kind of Community a MMO has or has not is mostly decided by to WHOM you target the MMO's advertizing. MMO Communities are what they are NOW because of that.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

AD&D

1st/2nd eds.

My poor dice, they are so lonely.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by Antiquated

AD&D

1st/2nd eds.

Yes, I had hopes for this years ago, Yes please.

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    EQOA.  Those were some good times.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

None.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by rush1984

WoW from the start was targetted at noobs. That is the entire demographic that made WoW successful. Veteran MMO players barely touched the game.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405

DAoC Pre-ToA

AO

SWG

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

AO

SWG - Pre-CU

EQ

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by noncley

Pre-NGE SWG. If those idiots had balanced the game and fixed the bugs, this game would have subs in the millions and I'd happily be buying an expansion every six months.

Those idiots = the people now about to bring out EQN

Same here for SWG pre-cu, but don't get me wrong but I like allot of what the NGE offered, no not when it was released but about 1. Sure I missed allot of feature's/classes in the NGE. But as a crafter I was very content after a while, even more so that allot hadn't really changed but had become enhanced. As a droidengineer I could make allot more different type of droids compared to pre-cu, same with most other crafter professions. Sure loved pre-cu CH (Creature Handlers) but became annoyed by those who felt the need to pop out several creature's at a time, which was fun some times but as said some started to become annoying, especially blocking certain acces points/terminals and what not.  BE (NGE-Bio-Engineer) offered allot more depth especially mixed with beast Master.

Like many I couldn't deal with the NGE at the beginning. I kept looking for the things I loved in pre-cu. Well learned my lesson that when a game has a complete game change to approach such a game as being new. That eventually made me really enjoy the NGE.

So I would say mix Pre-CU fixed/polished/ with all it's classes with allot of great additions from the NGE and perhaps the more balanced classes from the NGE, while I love unbalance as it brings people closer together to seek that proper balance. But it doesn't bring in the masses.

I I don't get why you call them "idiots", the brought you a great game experiance, sure they messed up. Have you actually seen and read the official forums and other forums? We who enjoyed the game and wanted fixes and polish where outnumbers by those who complained about too complex, too much reading, jedi is to hard......now....what would you do if you had a business.

I played SWG from CB/OB till 6 a 7 months into the NGE and returned in 2007 for nearly a year.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

WoW from the start was targetted at noobs. That is the entire demographic that made WoW successful. Veteran MMO players barely touched the game.

Not entirely true. Vanilla WoW was accessible, but it wasn't the Baby's First MMORPG it is today. Vanilla was much more accssible than its MMORPG predecessors, but it could be rather trying - I remember many a group faceplanting in the original top level dungeons, and the Dungeon 2 armor set questline is one of the most difficult things I've ever done in the game.

<3

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Not entirely true. Vanilla WoW was accessible, but it wasn't the Baby's First MMORPG it is today. Vanilla was much more accssible than its MMORPG predecessors, but it could be rather trying - I remember many a group faceplanting in the original top level dungeons, and the Dungeon 2 armor set questline is one of the most difficult things I've ever done in the game.

not...not entirely true :)

while the game did become a lot more "simple" and guided, WoW has always been the most accessible and noob friendly MMO throughout its lifespan.

so while vanilla wow seemed to be more challenging, nothing out at the time of vanilla wow was more noob accessible.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Antiquated

AD&D

1st/2nd eds.

I got a good laugh at this. My old dice are still waiting to be used again. I still have my old Unearthed Arcana and Players Handbook from 1st edition.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    FFXI up till 2nd expac Chains of Promathia after that I don't miss it.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion