Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptop: Two Graphic Card issue, HELP needed ^^

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Sigh. Ok, I still have this problem, andI have no clue what to do.

I have an ACER Aspire V3 - 772G (Intel Core i7) Windows 8, and the Notebook as two graphic cards. An Intel HD4600 on board chip and a NVidia Geforce 760m. I have the newest drivers (326.19 beta) and tried even some older drivers (311 and 320.49). The problem is always the same. Now in THEORY they computer is supposed to chose the optimal settings, but in practice none of my games shows any other card but the HD4600. (I am currently playing Civilization V, Skyrim and XCom.)

How the issue, when I let the "Geforce Experience" seek my games, it says "We are sorry, Geforce can not optimize games on your computer.

Like this windows shows: http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Elikal/Image3_zpsacde2ccb.jpg

Now I have a Geforce 760m, the device is correctly found by Windows 8, and Nvivida's homepage lists the 760m as compatible. But in the settings of the "Geforce Experience" it is greyed out:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Elikal/Image4_zps5ac86654.jpg

I set all on auto update to be sure, but to no avail.

Now I want to know what ecactly that means and how I can remedy this? When I start the Skyrim launcher, for instance, I only see the HD4600 in the list. Even though Nvidia lists Skyrim as compatible! How can I force games to use the Geforce? How can I solve this issue??

Thanks, any help is really hoped for. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Are you using the Verde drivers for laptops that support Optimus discrete switchable graphics and come packaged with the Intel drivers for your integrated graphics, as opposed to the desktop drivers?

Actually, Haswell is a recent enough launch that I don't know if Nvidia has packaged their own drivers with Intel's Haswell drivers yet.  They probably have, but if not, you may have to wait.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Are you using the Verde drivers for laptops that support Optimus discrete switchable graphics and come packaged with the Intel drivers for your integrated graphics, as opposed to the desktop drivers?

Actually, Haswell is a recent enough launch that I don't know if Nvidia has packaged their own drivers with Intel's Haswell drivers yet.  They probably have, but if not, you may have to wait.

I have NO clue what Verde drivers are. Or what Haswell is.

I tried the original NVidia drivers  311, 320.49 and the most recent 326.19 beta.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• StuddleyStuddley Member Posts: 37

If you right click your screen and select NVIDIA Control Panel.

Then select Manage 3D Settings.

Then under Global Settings select the Preferred Graphics Processor, and change it from auto-select to your desired one. That should do it.

Originally posted by Studdley

If you right click your screen and select NVIDIA Control Panel.

Then select Manage 3D Settings.

Then under Global Settings select the Preferred Graphics Processor, and change it from auto-select to your desired one. That should do it.

EVERY time I do that I get this:

"

TRANSLATION:

The NVIDIA Display settings are not available.

You are currently not using any display, which is connected to a GPU of NVIDIA".

Then under Device-Manager the Graphic card shows "Error Code 43". I tried to google that, like the card is not properly put in, but that's not the case.

I am really at my wit's end here. :(

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

Since you went ahead and updated the drivers which sounds like you used the standard ones intended for desktop use I'd suggest you reset your drivers back to the original ones which came with your system and trouble shoot from there.  The issue with laptops is often you simply cannot use standard desktop drivers and their updates with them.  You typically have to wait for the laptop vendor to provide their own.

Did your system come with a restore disk?  If not you should at least be able to use the Windows restore function to back to an earlier version, hopefully prior to the installation of the desktop drivers.  This most likely won't solve your issue but it's better to start there than the route you have chosen.  Please let us know when you have completed this step.

Assuming you have Windows 8 and the above is not an option for you I suggest you attempt to find them online.  I was able to come up with this link pretty easily, though I'm not familiar with the page:

http://laptopdriversbd.blogspot.com/2013/06/acer-aspire-v3-772g-drivers-for-windows.html

Windows 7 version:

http://driver-lap.blogspot.com/2013/07/acer-aspire-v3-772g-drivers-for-windows.html

Originally posted by miguksaram

Since you went ahead and updated the drivers which sounds like you used the standard ones intended for desktop use I'd suggest you reset your drivers back to the original ones which came with your system and trouble shoot from there.  The issue with laptops is often you simply cannot use standard desktop drivers and their updates with them.  You typically have to wait for the laptop vendor to provide their own.

Did your system come with a restore disk?  If not you should at least be able to use the Windows restore function to back to an earlier version, hopefully prior to the installation of the desktop drivers.  This most likely won't solve your issue but it's better to start there than the route you have chosen.  Please let us know when you have completed this step.

Assuming you have Windows 8 and the above is not an option for you I suggest you attempt to find them online.  I was able to come up with this link pretty easily, though I'm not familiar with the page:

http://laptopdriversbd.blogspot.com/2013/06/acer-aspire-v3-772g-drivers-for-windows.html

The problem is, the computer HAD the issue from the start. I'll try the driver from your link and see what that does.

Please do a clean install of the nvidia driver.  You should uninstall the current nvidia drivers (though i'd download the new ones first as a precaution) and reset the system then install the new (original drivers) one.  Just be sure you do not mess with the intel gpu drivers otherwise you most likely won't be able to get your monitor up and running and that could prove...problematic to say the least.

The reason I suggest you start from a fresh install is because the system SHOULD run on the installed drivers so that is always the best place to start checking for issues.

Try the drivers from here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_drivers.html

You need drivers that have the Nvidia discrete card and Intel integrated graphics in a single package.  If you had the Nvidia drivers alone and nothing for the Intel graphics, the laptop may not work at all (or might just revert to the generic Windows drivers that try to provide just enough functionality to let you go download proper drivers), so it might try to block you from installing that.

You need drivers that have the Nvidia discrete card and Intel integrated graphics in a single package.  If you had the Nvidia drivers alone and nothing for the Intel graphics, the laptop may not work at all (or might just revert to the generic Windows drivers that try to provide just enough functionality to let you go download proper drivers), so it might try to block you from installing that.

The results I get from that site is this:

Product Current
    Installed Driver
    Recommended
    Update
    GeForce GTX 760M -- The manufacturer of this system requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site.

The GeForce M series and GeForce Go series notebook GPUs use drivers that have been customized by the notebook manufacturers to support hot key functions, power management functions, lid close and suspend/resume behavior. NVIDIA has worked with some notebook manufacturers to provide notebook-specific driver updates, however, most notebook driver updates must come from the notebook manufacturer. Additionally, the desktop GeForce graphics drivers will not install on Geforce M series and Quadro M series notebook GPU's.

Which I did. I downloaded the Intel HD4600 drivers AND the Nvidia Drivers (311.30) from the Acer website. I had the Nvidia deinstalled, then updated the HD4600 driven THEN install the Nvidia from the Acer site. Nothing.

The device-manager at least says the NVidia Geforce 760m is active and working. But if I press the NVidia settings icon, I get the same error:

"The NVIDIA Display setting are not available. You are not using a display of the Nvidia GPU."

Back to square one. :(

Damnation.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Have you looked in the bios settings? I'm not that familiar with laptops, but on my desktop systems there are usually options to prefer either the integrated graphics or the drop in cards.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Have you looked in the bios settings? I'm not that familiar with laptops, but on my desktop systems there are usually options to prefer either the integrated graphics or the drop in cards.

Yeah, but I haven`t seen anything about graphic cards. :/

I'll do some additional research and post again.  I haven't used the new GPU swapping feature implemented in these newer laptops so I can't speak from experience on this one however assuming this is a common issue, or at least not an isolated one, the information should be available.  Otherwise there is the possibility your 760m is actually a lemon, let's hope not.

UPDATE:  Potential bad news.  Seems someone was experiencing the exact same issue with the previous model, Acer Aspire V3 771, that resorted in him having to send the laptop back to Acer for repairs (though they likely just sent a new laptop altogether).  I'll keep looking but this was the closest I was able to find to your specific issue.  Most people who run your system seem to not have any issues when all parts are running as expected.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/691340-acer-aspire-v3-771-g-graphics-card-switch-problem.html

Grrr... so it seems. I have reset the ENTIRE Windows 8, and the issue still remains.

DAMN.

sigh

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by Elikal

Grrr... so it seems. I have reset the ENTIRE Windows 8, and the issue still remains.

DAMN.

sigh

You...should definitely check your bios again. There must be a way to disable your on-board video card. Can you photo all of your bios tab's and what options do they have?

Also, don't know if this works, but go to Device Manager, under Display Adapters, and tell me if you see the Intel and Nvidia. If yes, then ... right click on the Intel one and...Disable it! See how that goes.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Try these drivers: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29750-geforce-30602-modded/

Not the latest (almost a year old) but they might solve your problem...

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Ask in Tom's Hardware, those nerds are pro. 
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    Ask in Tom's Hardware, those nerds are pro. 

Yeah, I checked out a few forums before I posted the driverlink above. This is not a unique freak problem but a rather common issue and if those drivers doesn't work either I would go on a few forums like Toms and Sweclockers to see how they solved the issue.

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    so it isnt pickign up the monitor for your extra gfx card? You may need to hook it up to the one you arent getting any juice from ie. HDMI cord.
    Originally posted by Shrilly
    so it isnt pickign up the monitor for your extra gfx card? You may need to hook it up to the one you arent getting any juice from ie. HDMI cord.

It's a laptop. ;)

I really tried everything, and alas I dont know any computer cracks who can come over, so I guess I send the damn thing back for a new or repair.

I read tons of forums, nothing helped.

Sigh. :(

The problem have to do with "Optimus technology", it is common with your brand.

This thread might be helpful: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/524030/help-i-cant-switch-to-my-gt-630m-/ read it and see if that solution works.

Can't be more helpful, but I am kinda close to braindead after playing the whole night and am going to sleep now, sorry and I hope you get it working but it is something between Nvidia and ACER that isn't working really well.

Originally posted by Loke666

The problem have to do with "Optimus technology", it is common with your brand.

This thread might be helpful: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/524030/help-i-cant-switch-to-my-gt-630m-/ read it and see if that solution works.

Can't be more helpful, but I am kinda close to braindead after playing the whole night and am going to sleep now, sorry and I hope you get it working but it is something between Nvidia and ACER that isn't working really well.

I cant even start the control panel, because it says the card is not "connected". The wording in German makes even LESS sense to me. I dont get it, and after 14 hours of trying I am now too tired and will cry myself into sleep now...

Originally posted by Elikal

The results I get from that site is this:

Product Current
    Installed Driver
    Recommended
    Update
    GeForce GTX 760M -- The manufacturer of this system requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site.

The GeForce M series and GeForce Go series notebook GPUs use drivers that have been customized by the notebook manufacturers to support hot key functions, power management functions, lid close and suspend/resume behavior. NVIDIA has worked with some notebook manufacturers to provide notebook-specific driver updates, however, most notebook driver updates must come from the notebook manufacturer. Additionally, the desktop GeForce graphics drivers will not install on Geforce M series and Quadro M series notebook GPU's.

Which I did. I downloaded the Intel HD4600 drivers AND the Nvidia Drivers (311.30) from the Acer website. I had the Nvidia deinstalled, then updated the HD4600 driven THEN install the Nvidia from the Acer site. Nothing.

The device-manager at least says the NVidia Geforce 760m is active and working. But if I press the NVidia settings icon, I get the same error:

"The NVIDIA Display setting are not available. You are not using a display of the Nvidia GPU."

Back to square one. :(

Damnation.

You need the Intel and Nvidia drivers in a single package, so that it can have both available and know when to switch between them.  You'll have to ask Acer about it, and if they don't offer it, make a big fuss, tell them that the laptop is defective, and try to return it for a refund.

You need the Intel and Nvidia drivers in a single package, so that it can have both available and know when to switch between them.  You'll have to ask Acer about it, and if they don't offer it, make a big fuss, tell them that the laptop is defective, and try to return it for a refund.

I would agree, after further research this appears to be an Acer issue.  If you have the option I'd ask for a refund based on this documented malfunction and look to spend your money elsewhere. 

How much did you spend on your current laptop and what other vendors are available in your area?  Perhaps we could suggest a better deal for you.

Originally posted by miguksaram

I would agree, after further research this appears to be an Acer issue.  If you have the option I'd ask for a refund based on this documented malfunction and look to spend your money elsewhere. 

How much did you spend on your current laptop and what other vendors are available in your area?  Perhaps we could suggest a better deal for you.

It makes sense, that Acer must offer a united driver. Their downloadable drivers (single one) didn't work.

I get the feeling the card may even be broken, or maybe it dislocked a bit on the transport or what. I just don't have the nerve anymore for days and days of tinkering. So I guess I call Acer Monday morning, either they offer a download that works pronto or I sent it back and they have to set the system right.

A shame, because I really love the laptop otherwise.

UPDATE:

Contacted the seller, tech guy looked into my laptop, found grafic card apparently defunct, so my shiny new notebook is going back.

Goodbye, little guy, we had a short time together. *sob*

Estimated delivery for replacement: 3 weeks.

Doh.

Aaaand back to my good old Windows XP.