Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Do you want Weapon's Skills in EQN?

GholosGholos Member Posts: 209

Do you want weapon's skills like GW2?

I think that weapon's skills could be a cool idea in order to make combat system more interesting, but i think that in GW2 have too much influence on how you play your class.

So i would to see weapon's skills in EQN but with  less impact on gameplay, i think that classes's skills have to be more in number than weapon's skill and more important than in GW2.

For those that havent played GW2, the weapon's skills system works in this way:

everytime you use a weapon you receive 5 combat skills for a 2h, 3 combat skills for 1h, 2 combat skills for an off hand...so in every case you will have 5 weapon skills and 5 class skills.

Every weapon give weapon skills based on class, so a 2h sword used by Warrior will have 5 weapon skills different from the weapon skills of the same weapon used for example by a Guardian.

I vote: YES

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
-Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

Comments

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

If you're asking, do I like a warrior using a longsword to have different ability choices than one using a 2H hammer, yes.

I'm not looking for a game that operates like GW2 though.  I like GW2, but I would rather it stay GW2 and let other games be themselves.

Having said that, it makes sense that a fighting style would change at least ever so slightly dependant on the weapon (edit: assuming one is actually using the weapon to fight with), but that notion shouldn't necessarily invite a strong comparison to GW2.  There are more ways to do such a system than I could enumerate.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Cant vote as i never played GW2 . I want to see weoponskills get better as you use them but i dont want to see a wizzy fighting with a sword or axe that would be so wrong.
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    No,I am hoping it isn't 'action' combat at all.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by keenber
    i dont want to see a wizzy fighting with a sword or axe that would be so wrong.

i dunno why people are so bothered by this, personally i find it a lot more ridiculous that my might warrior - trained for years in the arts of war and able to lop off heads with giant swords - is somehow completely incapable of using a dagger or a hammer.  just because someone came to study magic, doesn't mean that they never learned how to use a sword.   I mean, given their magic being strong enough, they would probably CHOOSE to attack with magic instead of the sword, but it wouldn't make them impotent when it comes to using a physical weapon.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• OfficialFlowOfficialFlow Member Posts: 111
    well yes i would like to have different axe skills compared to my sword skills, no one uses a spear like they use a sword its a simple explanation (but then again its not like im going to play the damn game....ever)
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

Weaponskills in the form of "EQ1" style.

That is, if you haven't used a sword before and you find this awesome sword, then well, you gotta start using it to train up the skill.

That style of weaponskills I will say yes to.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

That is, if you haven't used a sword before and you find this awesome sword, then well, you gotta start using it to train up the skill.

agree, this i can go for.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by killahh

agree, this i can go for.

yeah, proper skill-based advancements i can definitely go for.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    This is something I think would be really good for martial skills only while spells should be obtained independently from your weapon.
  • GholosGholos Member Posts: 209
    I have edited my post to explain how the weapom skill's system work in GW2.

-Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

No to GW2 style.

Yes to EQ1 style but I would take it further. Instead of skill gain being quick I would like to see it be slow and each skill up be meaningful. And instead of just numbers I want to see actually named tiers like Inexperienced , Proficient , Amazing...ect. There could easily be 20+ tiers and each be worthwhile.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Weapon skills (meaning skills that can be used only when certain weapons are equipped), yes.

GW2 style weapon skills where most skills are tied to weapons and you can use most of the attack abilities only with a certain weapon, no.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Like GW2?  No.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    no gw2 please god no
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I don't want to see nothing from GW2 in EQN. Please.
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276

I still think that was the best system in any mmo :)

• DraedzDraedz Member Posts: 47
    I enjoyed being able to use a ranged weapon and a melee weapon as a Warrior in GW2. I don't want the same system in EQNext.
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Just do whatever was done in EQ1. That seems to be what most want in every single thread. Why even ask? Just make EQ1 with updated graphics and be done with it. EQ1 vets aren't interested in anything new. They just want "their" game to be relevant again. And who can blame then to be honest...
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Gholos

I think that weapon's skills could be a cool idea in order to make combat system more interesting, but i think that in GW2 have too much influence on how you play your class.

So i would to see weapon's skills in EQN but with  less impact on gameplay, i think that classes's skills have to be more in number than weapon's skill and more important than in GW2.

everytime you use a weapon you receive 5 combat skills for a 2h, 3 combat skills for 1h, 2 combat skills for an off hand...so in every case you will have 5 weapon skills and 5 class skills.

Every weapon give weapon skills based on class, so a 2h sword used by Warrior will have 5 weapon skills different from the weapon skills of the same weapon used for example by a Guardian.

Sadly it doesn't matter what we want, its very unlikely their will be weapon skills in EQN.  SOE has been following a trend for some time now of making their games more casual, and dumbing them down. The NGW in SWG, and Removal of all stats in  EQ2 except health and power. I don't expect SOE is gonna do a 360 at this time especially on a game being developed on the cheap, with minimal development time (They did a total restart according to them some year and a half ago)

I'll b e happy to be proven wrong, but all one really has to do and look at SOE's past and what they have done with their games to see where their heading in the future. Did Players want a NGE in SWG? No Smed did. Did players ask for stats in EQ2 be reduced to only health and power? No but we got it anyway. Yeah I'm pessimistic about SOE delivering on all the hype, guess well see whats really up in August

• AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185
    Maybe not exactly like Guild Wars 2, but similar. Your weapon SHOULD determine your fighting style. If you're a warrior and you equip a dagger, your fighting style/skills shouldn't be the same if you were to equip a two-handed axe. I think there should be more beyond than just traditional EQ1 skill points.
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    no to the gw2 weapon/skill system.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Within my 1st 3 weeks of GW2, right after launch, I made a post suggesting that the weapon skill system being like the utility skill system. It may have been the first type post on this forum.

Anet wasn't wrong in the thinking, just way to limited. In Wushu, I guess you could say each weapon has 8-40 skills. 40 in the case of swords. It's not a slot skill type thing the though. Skills are tied to sets that use certain weapons. The Wushu system is far open than GW2's in it's current state. GW2's system has as much if not more potential freedom though.

So if EQN was able to make a greatly expanded system like GW2's I'd be all for it. I voted no though because I would hate to see it implemented in EQN in it's current state.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GholosGholos Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Aceshighhhh
    Maybe not exactly like Guild Wars 2, but similar. Your weapon SHOULD determine your fighting style. If you're a warrior and you equip a dagger, your fighting style/skills shouldn't be the same if you were to equip a two-handed axe. I think there should be more beyond than just traditional EQ1 skill points.

Yes similar but absolutely not the same....for example assuming that a char. will have a total of 10 skills on bar, 9 should be class skills and only 1 specific to the weapon, so you will have your auto attack based on the weapon stats (more dmg for 2h, faster for 1h) as usual, plus 1 specific skill...a 1h mace for example should give you a stun attack, 2h sword a slow massive dmg attack, a bow a cripple attack etc.

The only weapon i would to see with more impact on gameplay is the shield, that should be fondamental in order to tanking (greatly raise your AC,  dmg resistance and obviously give a block skill that i prefer automatic and based on your char. class spec and not on player's reflexes)

-Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by Gholos

Guildwars 2 was fine for what they were trying to do.

However I would suggest another type of gameplay wrapped around weapons that should be more promising overall.

Ultima Online did weapons correctly. smaller weapons you could dual wield and swing very fast making any other speed bonuses and poisons applied become quite deadly.

Club weapons when striking dropped stamina in a player. Without stamina it was impossible to run.

Some weapons had charges while others had procs. (charges you click on for desired effect) Proc goes off with hits on target based on several factors.

There were also long delay weapons that hit for huge damage. Players would often joust with these going in and out of combat as the swings were about to make impact.

You could expand on this sort of play by introducing even more weapon dynamics such as, when using a shield you can active block attacks with depleting stamina, and also if close to someone tap shield button for a bash and if they are not blocking they get knocked on the ground or if a big mob they get stunned.

Leave all the extra abilities to class based skills and spells.

This would be the perfect scenario in my opinion.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Fangrim
    No,I am hoping it isn't 'action' combat at all.

Having weapon skills doesnt mean action combat.  Final Fantasy 11 have weapons skills.  It means each type of weapon has its own set of skills and style for gameplay.