Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Instance vs. Open" Poll

TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306

Greetings and Salutations all.. Thought I'd throw this poll question out there to see what the general opinion was in the current MMO gamer population.. With all the talk of sandbox vs. themepark.. instances vs. open world.. and like or hate of dungeon finders.. My question is a (not so) simple one..

Edit: By a few responses, I think the question itself might have been misunderstood or poorly worded on my part.. A seamless or open world encompasses the main adventuring area in the scenario presented.. What I am specifically referring to are the dungeons in games..

Example: Open world dungeons are integrated into the seamless world and are therefore open to anyone who comes along.. An instanced dungeon is a portal in the open world that leads to a private area that only a soloer/group/ or raid can enter.. Any others go into their own version of the instance.. (example: WoW)

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I prefer variety thus it should have both.... I voted other for this.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Here we go again.  The proper question isn't whether an MMORPG should be instanced, but how.  To not use any sort of instancing whatsoever would require such wildly inefficient programming techniques that the game would surely be vaporware.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Instanced if I'm looking for challenge in PvE, just for the simple fact that there is no technically challenging fight that exists in an open world environment.

Instancing allows for a better freedom for creation and the ability to tailor fights for that perfect dungeon experience.

As far as dungeon finders are concerned, I would be interested to see them implemented into the game world in a sensible fashion as to not break immersion. I'm sure it could be done if one were to put enough thought into it. Essentially the opposite of how waypoints in Guild Wars 2 are handled.

Also Quizzical is right, an uninstanced MMO simply doesn't exist, it's simply how you represent loading that depicts the quality of your instancing. For clarification I was stating that I prefer well-tailored and structured boss fights, rather than mindless zerging. As I'm assuming that was what the OP was looking for.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

One of the main reasons I like the open world aspect is that it makes the game more social. When you go into a dungeon and its instances, it becomes very closed feeling.
    I remember Karnor in EQ1 and it was a challenging dungeon, even when there were other people there.. the trains were such a pain in the ass, but It was fun. The trains added a level of difficulty not found in instanced dungeons.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306

The OP realizes exactly what he is asking.. :)

Join date and post numbers aside, I have been in the MMO genre since its inception.. I created this poll in its most general form, representing the usual dungeon/mission types currently (or previously) used in MMOs.. I also made sure to add the "other" option to include those who favored the inclusion of both types or something new entirely..

I appreciate all the responses so far, as it is very enlightening..

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    While I have fond memories of EQ and meeting people in dungeons... Instances were created to fix problems... Going back to the original problems instances fixed is not the answer. EQ2's system is probably the best, which is a combination of both.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Whatever it takes for the developers to make their game fun.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

Dungeons/Raids - Instanced

Everything else - Open

I suppose if the game had "personal story" type missions then those would be instanced too.

I don't see how having open world raids makes the game "more social". Isn't seeing the other raid members you are with social enough? While you are busy trying to defeat the big bad guy, why is seeing other people not included in your group important? Shouldn't you be focusing on the task at hand? Or do you expect to be carried by the rest of the raid while you chit-chat with every passerby?

• KBishopKBishop Member Posts: 205

Both. Having an integration of both open world and instances allows for more exploration as well as less strain on servers, less ridiculously sized zones, less of that 'lobby' feel, and more variation in zones.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I bet a solution to enable seamless instancing and clever use of phasing would be worth something.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I prefer worlds be more like old EQ, and Vanguard, not like TOR.

Everything being instanced makes me feel like I am playing a lobby game, not a real mmo.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by goozmania
    While I have fond memories of EQ and meeting people in dungeons... Instances were created to fix problems... Going back to the original problems instances fixed is not the answer. EQ2's system is probably the best, which is a combination of both.

Ooor, we could fix the problem with good game design, like DAoC did, rather than putting in instances out of ineptitude.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I actually prefer instanced Dungeons but a seamless world.

I hate instanced zones though.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Here we go again.  The proper question isn't whether an MMORPG should be instanced, but how.  To not use any sort of instancing whatsoever would require such wildly inefficient programming techniques that the game would surely be vaporware.

Funny how there are games without any instancing and they work fine.... 

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Open World all the way..  Instance was a mechanic that should of never made it's way into MMORPG's..  As for the open world, I like both a little camping and randomness.. It keeps you alert :)
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    nvm

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Quizzical hits on the most important and most overlooked part. It all depends on the content and the type of experience that the devs are trying to deliver. While I enjoy open dungeons like AC, L2 and UO, it's clear that such dungeons aren't conducive to any type of personalized or scripted content without finding yet another work around (phasing is one) to try to compensate for the shortcomings of the public environment.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

And yet every old school MMO did I without fail.

Unless you are confusing instancing with zoning....which is quite possibly since so many here confuse definitions.  For the record, an instance is a place where only you or your friends can enter, and when you leave the instanced is closed never to appear.  A zone is an area that is always active and people can enter freely at their discretion and will remain persistent.

WoW dungeons are instanced.  GW2's WvW areas are zoned (their small so easy to confuse but their zones nonetheless).

And its very easy to do everything within a zoned world but the game still remains open.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

And yet every old school MMO did I without fail.

And Darkfall did it, with no loading screens, AND real time FPS combat on a massive scale.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Ooor, we could fix the problem with good game design, like DAoC did, rather than putting in instances out of ineptitude.

So what problems did instances fix?

1. Overcrowding
    2. Content on Demand
    3. Griefers
    This would just be my main list.

I think instancing dungeons is only ONE solution. A rather lazy solution that says let's just copy the same dungeon as many times as needed. You could also have MANY open world dungeons.

For Content on Demand you could also provide ANOTHER solution. Like mission terminals in Star Wars Galaxies that would give you missions in the open world. How about a job board.

As far as griefers go I think while it's nice not to have anyone mess up your dungeon run it also kills the reason for even playing the game. When you end up doing a instance dungeon run and not one person speaks, it could have been 4 bots playing.  You may solve one problem but create another. There is a better solution to the problems instances fix. The reason you might not see a better solution is because it's cheap and easy to copy something infinity.

I'm open to other possibilities as well. What do you think?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Originally posted by nilden

As far as griefers go I think while it's nice not to have anyone mess up your dungeon run it also kills the reason for even playing the game.

Why do people keep saying griefers are a thing? If they were such a problem that instancing was a legit solution... wouldn't they exist in the overworld too? Shouldn't devs just instance every part of the gameworld so you never have to interact with other people?

I encountered one griefer in 8 years I DAoC. I reported him and never saw him again.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    I generally hate instances and I prefer games designed around not having them.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by nilden

As far as griefers go I think while it's nice not to have anyone mess up your dungeon run it also kills the reason for even playing the game.

Why do people keep saying griefers are a thing? If they were such a problem that instancing was a legit solution... wouldn't they exist in the overworld too? Shouldn't devs just instance every part of the gameworld so you never have to interact with other people?

I encountered one griefer in 8 years I DAoC. I reported him and never saw him again.

Well then you missed out on entire Everquest raids griefing each other and WoW same faction and cross faction griefing just as some examples. Instances take away any chance of outside greifers just because you only saw one guy in 8 years of DAOC doesn't mean other people didn't put up with them all the time.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Instanced content is just better.  It's higher quality due to its nature.

It's the distinct game mechanics which make encounters interesting in games.

With instancing, the game's development team is focused on creating new interesting mechanics. That's all they do.

With open world, the dev team must spend additional effort making those mechanics dynamically self-adjust to the number of players.  Intricate game mechanics would tend to require more effort to make dynamic.  This creates drag.  Instead of a dev team moving full speed with 100% of effort put into making new game mechanics, they must spend a non-trivial amount of time adapting those mechanics.

Either that or no dynamic is applied and a fight which is interesting with a 6-man party becomes completely trivial when another 6 players show up -- which is really boring.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    I would like to see a mix. I know that open world dungeon can be quite nice, as I have done them in few games. I also know that some content can be made more challenging for a group by having it in an instanced environment. I also like to have some of the personal story content, or small group story content, in a phased or instanced environment (if the story telling requires it).

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."