Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Enjoying r/Outside

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Today's Devil's Advocate takes a slight detour to introduce our readers to "Outside", no, not that mythical land beyond your own front door, but, rather, a game that has captured our attention. Find out why and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

People who post on r/Outside are using the subreddit’s community guidelines to ask questions about life, personal enhancement, social mores, and existential philosophies. The catch is that everyone treats this as a forum for the game they’re all playing: real life. Using their own take on gaming lingo, the Outsiders (as I like to call them) use the subreddit as a place to destress from the idiosyncrasies of life. They also act as a support group, finding ways to better understand human situations using gaming terminology as the means of creating helpful analogies.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s The Devil's Advocate: Enjoying r/Outside.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    I have to admit I miss the days when I had a social circle that could hold entire Darmok-style conversations.  That sort of cloak of jargon and references really does make for a enjoyable support group.
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Great article.

Good to see humanity doesn't suck everywhere over the internet.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• OriginOfWavesOriginOfWaves Member UncommonPosts: 74
    great article. but just 3 comments so far? it really show the state of the mmo community
  • jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

Really enjoyed the article and gave the videos a watch.  Also visited the reddit r/Outside forum and liked what I saw.  Great to see people reaching out to one another, sharing humour, poking gentle fun at gaming, and, most importantly, offering help when needed using language which is non-threatening.

Thoughtful and thought-provoking article and links.  Thank you.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    My original Wow guild not only got along inside the game, we did so outside.  Had a cookout and several get togethers.
  • DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Outside kind of sucks when you are a F2P.
  • AtheaAthea Member UncommonPosts: 79
    OMG! I want this MMO, when does it release? The textures are such high resolution, the physics engine, everything seems top-notch, hopefully they'll have a good server infrastructure I hate lag.
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by Athea
    OMG! I want this MMO, when does it release? The textures are such high resolution, the physics engine, everything seems top-notch, hopefully they'll have a good server infrastructure I hate lag.

Sadly the in-game politics are giant pain in the arse!

Not to mention the constant clan battles over which religion is more uber gets annoying fast. Why the developer(s?) let this happen, I will never know. ;)

Also be very careful of guys playing girls in this game. lmao.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Outside is P2W :'(
  • victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by OriginOfWaves
    great article. but just 3 comments so far? it really show the state of the mmo community

To be fair, I wasn't expecting this to be particularly comment worthy. My hope, however, is that people actually go to the subreddit and see a different way of viewing games and gaming culture.

More importantly, perhaps some of us will consider going to that world more often... Outside seems interesting. :)

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com