Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Religious and LGBT Guilds, Yay or Nay?

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Razeekster

Originally posted by laserit

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Razeekster As a gay gamer LBGTQ guilds are something I look for in games because I am uncomfortable dealing with straight people that are homophobic and constantly misuse the word "dumb," replacing it instead with the word "gay."
    Yeah, the nerve of people co-opting words.  
    No kidding   Razeekster should look up the definition of  "dumb" and then maybe apologize to a part of society that isn't as fortunate in some aspects. Pot meet Kettle
    Excuse me? Last time I checked "gay" didn't mean dumb so I don't know how this is a case of "pot meet kettle." Gay originally meant joyous, happy, exuberant. I am not sure how it was turned into a word to represent a sexual orientation but no matter what it never meant "dumb." So don't tell me to apologize.

This is kind of like the discussions on what the term "MMO" means. It didn't used to have a recognized meaning, now it does. It has a definition and everything. Words change meaning depending on how people use them. That's how it happens, people start using words in a different way, or start using new words, and other people pick them up and then that's what the words mean. There's a whole science devoted to how this happens in language and how long it takes for it to happen with specific words.

"Gay" happens to be a word that the younger among us have decided means, "lame" or "dumb". It's a general purpose term. Yes, it's dumb. No, it's not allowed in my house and I'm relieved that all our children have grown out of it, but that doesn't change the fact that in ten years it may be a common term meaning "lame" or "dumb".

I'm not sure what my point is here, other than words just change. Getting angry about it, even when the words are offensive, deliberately or not isn't really going to stop this from happening. Especially when the people changing the language have no idea what kind of history the words they use have.

Most people who use the word wrongly know very well what they are doing and what the word actually means. I realize that a lot of people just do it automatically but please don't tell me that people don't know what they are saying. Most know fully.

Smile

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

1-I can understand Blizzard's stance. It is not unlike MMORPG.com's stance on political and religious posting. It tends to fan the flames of board wars. It is sad that a "special interest group" dictated how a business was run. That is wrong.

2-I guess I just do not understand what makes people want others to know about their sexual, political, or religious choices or preferences. It's a game. Leave that stuff at the log in screen.

3 Remember, Guilds decide who they let in or not. No one should be able to tell Guilds who gets to become members. In one sense it is not unlike PvE, PvP, or RP guild tags. But that is geared more towards game play, not real world likes/dislikes.

1-To the first sentence, whoever made the guild, can do whatever they choose.

"Dictating how a business is run"....really?

If I buy a basketball from Spalding, I can play basketball with whomever I choose. If I choose to call 9 of my friends who are of similar beliefs, that is my business.  

And it's exactly the same in an mmo. If I decide I want a guild made up of my peers, then that's my right. I consider that a first amendment right.

2 I dont know why you even mention this as it is not what the thread is about. Sure it's a game and if it's my guild, I can do what I want.

3 exactly.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Razeekster Originally posted by laserit Originally posted by Loktofeit Originally posted by Razeekster As a gay gamer LBGTQ guilds are something I look for in games because I am uncomfortable dealing with straight people that are homophobic and constantly misuse the word "dumb," replacing it instead with the word "gay."
    Yeah, the nerve of people co-opting words.  
    No kidding   Razeekster should look up the definition of  "dumb" and then maybe apologize to a part of society that isn't as fortunate in some aspects. Pot meet Kettle
    Excuse me? Last time I checked "gay" didn't mean dumb so I don't know how this is a case of "pot meet kettle." Gay originally meant joyous, happy, exuberant. I am not sure how it was turned into a word to represent a sexual orientation but no matter what it never meant "dumb." So don't tell me to apologize.
    This is kind of like the discussions on what the term "MMO" means. It didn't used to have a recognized meaning, now it does. It has a definition and everything. Words change meaning depending on how people use them. That's how it happens, people start using words in a different way, or start using new words, and other people pick them up and then that's what the words mean. There's a whole science devoted to how this happens in language and how long it takes for it to happen with specific words. "Gay" happens to be a word that the younger among us have decided means, "lame" or "dumb". It's a general purpose term. Yes, it's dumb. No, it's not allowed in my house and I'm relieved that all our children have grown out of it, but that doesn't change the fact that in ten years it may be a common term meaning "lame" or "dumb". I'm not sure what my point is here, other than words just change. Getting angry about it, even when the words are offensive, deliberately or not isn't really going to stop this from happening. Especially when the people changing the language have no idea what kind of history the words they use have.  
    Most people who use the word wrongly know very well what they are doing and what the word actually means. I realize that a lot of people just do it automatically but please don't tell me that people don't know what they are saying. Most know fully.

I didn't say they were ignorant. They are fully conversant with all the different meanings of the word, "gay". It's difficult to give them a logical train of reasoning as to why they shouldn't use the word "gay" as an insult when their gay friends call their principal "gay", as in lame. The only card I really had left was that they were going to do what I said because it's my house and I said so. I can't do this with the internet though. I can't even do this with my kid's friends. I have to pick my battles.

So, what's my point here, and what does this have to do with themed guilds? I do not know. We've gone off track and it's late. Don't let things like this wind you up. It just gives people an easy target at which to aim. Join a LBGT guild and actually enjoy the games you play instead of getting wound up about things that can't be fixed. Pick your battles, but in the mean time, enjoy the things that can be enjoyed and don't let the d!ckholes of the internet ruin it for you.

I guess. Also, I'm not entirely sure what Loktofelt was getting at earlier, but experience has shown me that they were actually getting at something, and it was probably pretty clever, and I just missed it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by spankybus

This is a slippery slope. Of course, I am an American who believed in freedom....TRUE freedom...meaning that ALL groups have a right to express their views, not matter how much it might piss me off. I just don't want them doing it in a video game that I might be playing with my son.

Jake: "I hate Illinois Nazis." (engine revs)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    While I think it's kind of silly to have gay guilds (do we really need to segregate ourselves in video games too?), I don't see any real issue with the idea. Religious guilds on the other hand are completely inappropriate. When you have children playing these games they should never be exposed to these types of groups, that more often than not, judge and try to assimilate everyone they can (like it or lump it, that's the nature of the beast). Religion: keep it in your home or place of worship. It's that simple.

So gay guilds are ok but religious guilds are completely inappropriate? Total bullshit, either all are ok (which they are) or none, you have no right to restrict someone from doing something.  And before you say anything else read your statement, look at how offensive it is to a certain group of individuals.

Thing is, homosexual people usually don't try to convert you to homosexuality, specially not online where they aren't in physical contact with you. Something religions are actively doing since the dawn of time.

I see his point, even if religious guilds aren't a problem for me... I rather have them somewhere else than in my guild. It's a bit like silly names in MMORPG, it helps knowing which people you don't want to play with. No religious nut tells me how to play my games.

No but some homosexuals, thankfully few, will try to force you to accept their lifestyle in ways they have no business intruding into. Bad behavior isn't limited to or excluded from any  group. There is no moral high ground for bad behavior. Religious groups are no worse than groups that wear beanies with propellers on their heads.

Heterosexuals make these kinds of comments in games all the time, but because it's mainstream, no one gives a damn.  How do you think homosexuals feel when heterosexuality is forced upon them on a daily basis, yet we get berated if we make a single comment about our lives that you don't feel comfortable with?

Like what?  I have never seen straight people talking about their bedroom lives unless its to their closest friends but people don't go around talking about their sexual proclivities around total strangers and if they do they are ill mannered, rude and obnoxious.  Gay or Straight it doesn't matter, normal people just don't do these things.  Unless you get pissed off when someone says wait a min I got girl friend agro or something as innocent as that.  If you have a problem with that sort of talk then the problem is you my friend not them.

Are you joking?  I hear more locker room talk in MMOs than I do in an actual locker room.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

People like to chat in these games and it's nice to have a safe environment where you will not be attacked or judged by comments that some people find offensive.  Creating a guild for gay members provides that safe environment to be who you are and not be attacked or ridiculed because you let slip that you find some celebrity attractive and you happen to both be men.  I can't tell you how many "regular" guilds I have been in where all kinds of discussions take place, most having nothing to do with the game.  I don't see why people like you would take issue with specialized guilds that allow discussions on topics that won't upset more easily offended people like you.

Obviously you have no idea why these kinds of guilds exist if you think it's about propaganda or an agenda to subvert the game somehow.  In fact, you should be happy they exist, this keeps discussions you obviously don't like in guild chat rather than world chat.

You should read my other posts in the thread before you come to such hasty conclusions about me. Isn't that what you dislike from other people about you, hasty conclusions, and assumptions? Time to apply your own rules to yourself.

But apparently, you are also one of those who prefer to judge a book by its cover. Pot, kettle, black, etc...

Your /thread comment that you so conveniently removed from my quote would say otherwise.  That being your response to yet another poster who thinks people shouldn't chat about real life topics and both of you saying it shouldn't be done in a game, which is quite funny, since it's relegated for the most part to the gay guild and not your average world chat, so I fail to see why it would ever be an issue for you or him.

• KBishopKBishop Member Posts: 205

"Dumb:

Adjective: (of a person) Unable to speak, most typically because of congenital deafness.

Verb: Simplify or reduce the intellectual content of something so as to make it accessible to a larger number of people.

Synonyms: mute - speechless - silent - voiceless - inarticulate"

I fail to see how this is a case of "Pot meet kettle." I never insulted anyone. I simply said that "gay" does not mean "dumb." Which is 100% true. So again, I don't see why I would have to apologize. 

It's the same because dumb origionally meant people either suffering from mental retardation, or as you noted, people who are unable to speak. Using dumb for anything else is adding a negative stigma to something that is a serious issue that cannot be helped by an individual.

Likewise, other words that are morphed are: retarded, bitch, the n word, and so on. To have a problem with the use of gay or faggot is justifiable, but you can't JUST have a problem with gay and faggot when you are using 'dumb', 'retarded', 'bitch', the n word and so on. Likewise, to only have a problem with gay and faggot and not the other words mentioned makes you more or less a hypocrite, because it's only bad when a word is used negatively when it affects you

edit: additional words that are used negatively and not as their intended meaning. Lame, stupid, idiot, little-girl

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Grahor

You don't have "white studies" in the university because that would be redundant.

You know you're not the majority in America any more, right?

It'll take a while, but we'll see "preserve caucasian culture" movements before the end of this century. You're being outbred into obsolescence.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

>>You know you're not the majority in America any more, right?<<

*rolls eyes*  First, I'm not an American, thank gods.

Second, whites in America are pretty much still the largest group; it's all other combined which are somewhat in the same ballpark, but no single group may in any way rival whites.

Third, same proclamations were issued before: Irish and Italians are going to overbreed whites... Well, look what happened. Hello, senior O'Reily, whitest of the white! Whites just assimilate some other group, so that it'll become "honorary whites", with "separate cultural identity" like Irish or Scottish or whatever, but still fully white; and voila, miraculously, whites are the majority again. A little bit less exclusive (after all, it's hard to argue that Irish are truly white people, that Irish children can have same academical success as whites, that Irish adults have same work ethics as proper whites, or don't have inherent drinking/violence problem, the beasts that they are), but nevertheless, white.

Say, let's take an average Latino. Who are latinos? Basicly spaniards. Who are spaniards? Why, they are whites. If Italian can be white, so can a Spaniard, too! Just adjust a bit Republican talking points, you know, the outreach thingie, and voila, you are a great majority again, and all non-whites are farked again!

>>we'll see "preserve caucasian culture" movements before the end of this century<<

We are seeing them now. As we've saw it 20 years ago. As we've saw it when Italians and Irish were the boogieman... The problem (the talent?) with whites is that they'll (we) always find ways to fark everyone else and yet to look like we are the victim here and just trying to do it all for you own good. The white man's burden, dontchaknow.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I think drugs have no place in gaming, so keep religion out of it. And same goes for politics, Chuck Norris "jokes", .... etc. 
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I'd say i don't care, but it honestly bothers me.

It's time for people to just mingle and accept each others beliefs and preferences...

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by KBishop

"Dumb:

Adjective: (of a person) Unable to speak, most typically because of congenital deafness.

Verb: Simplify or reduce the intellectual content of something so as to make it accessible to a larger number of people.

Synonyms: mute - speechless - silent - voiceless - inarticulate"

I fail to see how this is a case of "Pot meet kettle." I never insulted anyone. I simply said that "gay" does not mean "dumb." Which is 100% true. So again, I don't see why I would have to apologize. 

It's the same because dumb origionally meant people either suffering from mental retardation, or as you noted, people who are unable to speak. Using dumb for anything else is adding a negative stigma to something that is a serious issue that cannot be helped by an individual.

Likewise, other words that are morphed are: retarded, bitch, the n word, and so on. To have a problem with the use of gay or faggot is justifiable, but you can't JUST have a problem with gay and faggot when you are using 'dumb', 'retarded', 'bitch', the n word and so on. Likewise, to only have a problem with gay and faggot and not the other words mentioned makes you more or less a hypocrite, because it's only bad when a word is used negatively when it affects you

edit: additional words that are used negatively and not as their intended meaning. Lame, stupid, idiot, little-girl

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

It depends on what the guilds do, if they call themselves the 'Join Jesus or Go to Hell' guild and go around telling everyone how wonderful being Christian is all the time, they should be banned. Same goes for anything gay etc, MMO's were not made to advertise your personnel life in game.

If they keep to themselves I see no issues, nothing wrong with the odd religious or gay comment either, but then I would query someone chatting too long in general chat about sports. A MMO is not Facepalm or Twitless, if you feel a burning desire to tell everyone about your life, head there.

Originally posted by Agoden I'd say i don't care, but it honestly bothers me. It's time for people to just mingle and accept each others beliefs and preferences...
    Would you accept my beliefs if what I believed was that my religion should conquer the world and convert everyone or kill them?

Just saying...

Depends on whether or not you kept those beliefs to yourself in game.

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Agoden I'd say i don't care, but it honestly bothers me. It's time for people to just mingle and accept each others beliefs and preferences...
    would you accept my belief that the earth is flat ?

If you kept your belief to yourself, sure, why not?

If you wanted to talk to people who weren't going to mock you though, I'd suggest starting a "Flat Earth" guild.

Also, FYI, active since 2004:
    http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

Where you could possibly find members.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

First of all I want to give everyone in this thread a ribbon.

Seriously, we get threads shut down in minutes debating trivial things like the pay structure of a game. Yet, here we are on, what page 35, of a thread concerning a "touchy" topic, with a warning on page 2 going strong.

Again bravo to everyone for being civil.

To recap I think the consensus is this: (incase you don't want to read 30+pages) "As long as these guilds don't take to open channels and disrupt others gameplay, and you are just looking for "like minds" to spend their time with, we seem to be OK with them."

This makes me VERY proud. Seem we are generally a bunch of Libertarians.

Liberty > ALL

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Razeekster "Dumb: Adjective: (of a person) Unable to speak, most typically because of congenital deafness.   Verb: Simplify or reduce the intellectual content of something so as to make it accessible to a larger number of people.   Synonyms: mute - speechless - silent - voiceless - inarticulate"   I fail to see how this is a case of "Pot meet kettle." I never insulted anyone. I simply said that "gay" does not mean "dumb." Which is 100% true. So again, I don't see why I would have to apologize.     
    It's the same because dumb origionally meant people either suffering from mental retardation, or as you noted, people who are unable to speak. Using dumb for anything else is adding a negative stigma to something that is a serious issue that cannot be helped by an individual. Likewise, other words that are morphed are: retarded, bitch, the n word, and so on. To have a problem with the use of gay or faggot is justifiable, but you can't JUST have a problem with gay and faggot when you are using 'dumb', 'retarded', 'bitch', the n word and so on. Likewise, to only have a problem with gay and faggot and not the other words mentioned makes you more or less a hypocrite, because it's only bad when a word is used negatively when it affects you   edit: additional words that are used negatively and not as their intended meaning. Lame, stupid, idiot, little-girl

There is a difference between being angry at the misuse of words, especially as insults, and being angry at the misuse of words that are a direct insult to you. There's also a difference between being born into a system where the words have already changed meaning, and being present while the meaning is being changed, especially when it denigrates something in your own life.

It's not feasible for people to fight every change in word usage. It takes an intensity that doesn't exist in most people. A personal stake is needed. So people who have family members or friends who are mentally challenged fight against "retarded". LBGT take up the fight against "gay". People who don't like the definition of "MMO" that the industry supports take up the fight against that. Doing it any other way doesn't make sense.

The other side of this is that a lot of words get added, removed and changed in the common vernacular and nobody cares. If people constantly fought against every word change, we'd still be speaking whatever language we spoke when we left Africa, and we'd have no idea what to call these things we're typing into all the time.

Originally posted by Grahor

You people are bunch of retards, and I'm saying it knowing the definition of "retard". 

You don't have "white studies" in the university because that would be redundant. All studies are white, because we are the majority. When doctors study a new disease, what they study is "how it affects the majority, aka whites"; if the situation is different with minorities, THEN you have "black studies", because you specifically need to attend to the differences with main research, aka research on whites.

The whole university is "The University of White Studies", which has Black Studies department to specifically research the small area where blacks are different from whites.

Same with guilds. The majority of guilds consist of White Heterosexuals, who will always be at home in them, because they are surrounded by White Heterosexuals. So you don't fcuking need White guild, because every guild is white! In every guild, except those that are specifically set up as minority guilds, White Heterosexuals set up the rules, and it's White Heterosexual rules. Sure, if those particular White Heterosexuals are tolerant, their rules tolerate non-white and/or non-heterosexuals; but those non-white and/or non-heterosexuals are just tolerated in White guilds in White world, not setting the rules themselves.

So white majority sets the rules itself by default, but if you want gays to set the rules of conduct and behaviors, then you need gay guilds; and who the fcuk would deny them that? Just retarded, stupid, dumb fcuks like you are.

Okay, that's another ban for me, but at least this time I've at least said what I wanted to say.

It's pretty sad that a non-white person has to tell you that there needs to be white study. Not all white people are the same. Irish people have a different history than German people have a different history than Polish people etc. To say all history is white history is ignorant at best and completely ignores the multiple European cultures that have come to this country. Just because you are white doesn't make you equal, Europe has proven that for many hundreds of years.

You clearly aren't understanding what equality means. Do you know why the Black Panthers are allowed to exist? Because the KKK is allowed to exist. Equality means that if I can make an LGBT guild or a Black guild, then YOU can make a heterosexual guild or a White guild. If you can't make an exclusive guild, then I can't make an exclusive guild. No exceptions.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Let people do what they want.  Telling others they are "not allowed" is pushing your conformist view point on them - like the problem with public education which is suppose to allow all religions but adherently teaches all Darwinism.  A guild is a group of players not the entire game so let them express themselves however.  Now if Blizzard said no one can play my game unless they are gay/religious that would an issue.  But groups/guilds are not forcing themselves on anyone so it's fine.

Originally posted by KBishop It's the same because dumb origionally meant people either suffering from mental retardation, or as you noted, people who are unable to speak. Using dumb for anything else is adding a negative stigma to something that is a serious issue that cannot be helped by an individual. Likewise, other words that are morphed are: retarded, bitch, the n word, and so on. To have a problem with the use of gay or faggot is justifiable, but you can't JUST have a problem with gay and faggot when you are using 'dumb', 'retarded', 'bitch', the n word and so on. Likewise, to only have a problem with gay and faggot and not the other words mentioned makes you more or less a hypocrite, because it's only bad when a word is used negatively when it affects you   edit: additional words that are used negatively and not as their intended meaning. Lame, stupid, idiot, little-girl

There is a difference between being angry at the misuse of words, especially as insults, and being angry at the misuse of words that are a direct insult to you. There's also a difference between being born into a system where the words have already changed meaning, and being present while the meaning is being changed, especially when it denigrates something in your own life.

It's not feasible for people to fight every change in word usage. It takes an intensity that doesn't exist in most people. A personal stake is needed. So people who have family members or friends who are mentally challenged fight against "retarded". LBGT take up the fight against "gay". People who don't like the definition of "MMO" that the industry supports take up the fight against that. Doing it any other way doesn't make sense.

The only real difference is the typical level of reaction. If it's a word that involves a group you belong in, it's only natural for you to be upset, but if its a word that involves a group that you DON'T belong in, it's only natural for you to not care. I can't get mad at someone for throwing around the word faggot or gay because I throw retarded and bitch around equally. If I expect someone to apologize to me for using those words, then I should apologize to each and every one of my female friends and my mentally disabled aunt. Gay has already morphed its meaning from being happy to being a homosexual, to being a homosexual man, and is now on the verge to morphing into being stupid. The other words I have listed have morphed at least once in the last 30 years, some in the last 15.

It's not feasible to fight every word because we are all incredibly inconsistent about it. When LGBT fight against the word gay, they are still misusing retard. When family/friends of mentally disabled fight against retarded, they misuse gay. When women fight against the use of bitch, most of them are misusing retard and faggot. No group can win because no group can concede to being fair to other groups and their plights.

BTW, Take notice how when I mention someone who is mentally disabled, I don't call them retarded despite the fact that per definition they are. Thats just the exact negative stigma that the use of the word retarded has gained.

Originally posted by Grahor You people are bunch of retards, and I'm saying it knowing the definition of "retard".    You don't have "white studies" in the university because that would be redundant. All studies are white, because we are the majority. When doctors study a new disease, what they study is "how it affects the majority, aka whites"; if the situation is different with minorities, THEN you have "black studies", because you specifically need to attend to the differences with main research, aka research on whites.   The whole university is "The University of White Studies", which has Black Studies department to specifically research the small area where blacks are different from whites.   Same with guilds. The majority of guilds consist of White Heterosexuals, who will always be at home in them, because they are surrounded by White Heterosexuals. So you don't fcuking need White guild, because every guild is white! In every guild, except those that are specifically set up as minority guilds, White Heterosexuals set up the rules, and it's White Heterosexual rules. Sure, if those particular White Heterosexuals are tolerant, their rules tolerate non-white and/or non-heterosexuals; but those non-white and/or non-heterosexuals are just tolerated in White guilds in White world, not setting the rules themselves.   So white majority sets the rules itself by default, but if you want gays to set the rules of conduct and behaviors, then you need gay guilds; and who the fcuk would deny them that? Just retarded, stupid, dumb fcuks like you are.   Okay, that's another ban for me, but at least this time I've at least said what I wanted to say.    
    It's pretty sad that a non-white person has to tell you that there needs to be white study. Not all white people are the same. Irish people have a different history than German people have a different history than Polish people etc. To say all history is white history is ignorant at best and completely ignores the multiple European cultures that have come to this country. Just because you are white doesn't make you equal, Europe has proven that for many hundreds of years.

You clearly aren't understanding what equality means. Do you know why the Black Panthers are allowed to exist? Because the KKK is allowed to exist. Equality means that if I can make an LGBT guild or a Black guild, then YOU can make a heterosexual guild or a White guild. If you can't make an exclusive guild, then I can't make an exclusive guild. No exceptions.

Who brought up the word "Equality"? I didn't. I'm not sure who did. But it's not about equality, it's about being around people who share similarities, and at the same time, not excluding people for being different. I'm speaking from personal experience here, but I think it's pretty accurate to say that a KKK guild would not allow any African American or Chinese members. They would exclude members based on race. So no, a KKK guild does not need to be allowed. I'm honestly not sure about a Black Panther guild, but I suspect they wouldn't allow some members based on race. Do the Black Panthers even still exist? Are they at all related to the Black Panthers that started in the 60s?

But really, if you truly think a KKK guild would be fine, then you probably don't understand why people might feel that they need a LBGT or Religiously themed guild.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

They don't annoy me. Why would they? How are they any different than all the loud and redundant guild and character names, e.g., Gankenstein, SkillCosby, Lolegolass, Yoduh, etc.

Who brought up the word "Equality"? I didn't. I'm not sure who did. But it's not about equality, it's about being around people who share similarities, and at the same time, not excluding people for being different. I'm speaking from personal experience here, but I think it's pretty accurate to say that a KKK guild would not allow any African American or Chinese members. They would exclude members based on race. So no, a KKK guild does not need to be allowed. I'm honestly not sure about a Black Panther guild, but I suspect they wouldn't allow some members based on race. Do the Black Panthers even still exist? Are they at all related to the Black Panthers that started in the 60s?

But really, if you truly think a KKK guild would be fine, then you probably don't understand why people might feel that they need a LBGT or Religiously themed guild.

I don't KNOW how those guilds operate, I can't say if they are the 'this is a safe place for a group' or if its the 'this place is ONLY for this group' type of deal, so I wont talk about them specifically.

The issue of equality arose when people brought up the concept of making a guild SPECIFICALLY to address heterosexuals or white people. Most people found that to be either redundant or ridiculous and some went so far as to say that shouldn't be allowed. Thats when you start encroaching on equality, because now we are saying that one group has more rights than another group. Sound familiar?

Again, if we allow an LGBT based guild or a Christian based guild, and if we want to be fair, then there's really not much of a reason to deny someone who wants to make a white supremecist guild or a mens only guild. It's a question of whether you want to be fair or not.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Well the bottom line is this, you can't really dictate what kind of guild people join, and the gaming industry would not touch that with a 10 ft pole. Well I guess in Russia you might get some jail time. 

It's pretty sad that a non-white person has to tell you that there needs to be white study. Not all white people are the same. Irish people have a different history than German people have a different history than Polish people etc. To say all history is white history is ignorant at best and completely ignores the multiple European cultures that have come to this country. Just because you are white doesn't make you equal, Europe has proven that for many hundreds of years.   You clearly aren't understanding what equality means. Do you know why the Black Panthers are allowed to exist? Because the KKK is allowed to exist. Equality means that if I can make an LGBT guild or a Black guild, then YOU can make a heterosexual guild or a White guild. If you can't make an exclusive guild, then I can't make an exclusive guild. No exceptions.
    Who brought up the word "Equality"? I didn't. I'm not sure who did. But it's not about equality, it's about being around people who share similarities, and at the same time, not excluding people for being different. I'm speaking from personal experience here, but I think it's pretty accurate to say that a KKK guild would not allow any African American or Chinese members. They would exclude members based on race. So no, a KKK guild does not need to be allowed. I'm honestly not sure about a Black Panther guild, but I suspect they wouldn't allow some members based on race. Do the Black Panthers even still exist? Are they at all related to the Black Panthers that started in the 60s? But really, if you truly think a KKK guild would be fine, then you probably don't understand why people might feel that they need a LBGT or Religiously themed guild.  
    I don't KNOW how those guilds operate, I can't say if they are the 'this is a safe place for a group' or if its the 'this place is ONLY for this group' type of deal, so I wont talk about them specifically.

The issue of equality arose when people brought up the concept of making a guild SPECIFICALLY to address heterosexuals or white people. Most people found that to be either redundant or ridiculous and some went so far as to say that shouldn't be allowed. Thats when you start encroaching on equality, because now we are saying that one group has more rights than another group. Sound familiar?

Again, if we allow an LGBT based guild or a Christian based guild, and if we want to be fair, then there's really not much of a reason to deny someone who wants to make a white supremecist guild or a mens only guild. It's a question of whether you want to be fair or not.

Uh, no. Allowiing a LBGT guild addresses an inequality that is built into population demographics. So does allowing a Religious guild, especially in gamer populations. Furthermore, at least in the case of Blizzard, the customers wanted it.

Allowing a White Supremacist guild doesn't address an inequality that is built into population demographics. A White Supremacist guild would also deny membership based on the race of the player. I'm not gay, but I could join a LBGT guild. I'm not religious but I could join a Religious guild. If I were not white, I could not join a White Supremacist guild. So no, a White Supremacist guild is not necessary to be "fair". I'm reasonably sure that the customers would not want it either. Since MMORPGs are private clubs and not public venues, then this is perfectly "fair".

Also, stop pretending to be ignorant of how a White Supremacist group would operate. They would deny members based on race because that's the whole purpose of their group.

This discussion has been closed.