Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV has been in development for 8 years!

Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

I just find it amazing that graphics that are 8 years old are still relevant. The graphics engine used to create Final Fantasy XIV was developed in 2005. It was used for Final Fantasy XIII, Versus XIII, and XIV. Here's a trailer from the first FFXIV announcement in 2005:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgtZvn5c4e4

Well in 2009 they announced Final Fantasy XIV, but the game turned out to be terrible. Well, they've been working on the game ever since the release in 2010 to improve FFXIV version 1.0 but dramatically failed and decided to have a WHOLE new over hall and create Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn.

This new game has dynamic events, it has faster and better combat, a whole new storyline, a new community, and hopefully EVEN better graphics.

Comments

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Grahor

[mod edit]

Do you really think it's going to fail again? It looks like a genuinely solid game and it got great feedback from the beta.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    I wouldn't count the first 5 years.
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Do you really think it's going to fail again? It looks like a genuinely solid game and it got great feedback from the beta.

Define "fail". My opinion is that it will not generate a lot of negative press like the first release, and there's going to be plenty of paid-for fanfares and reviews in the game-press, so a significant number of players will try it, although less than expected (because re-launch of an old game is, after all, old news, whatever anyone thinks). Afterwards the population would drop fast, as it happens with other mmorpgs, and it will remain as you average game, no better than those already on the market going F2P.

It will probably never become f2p (that would be too much loss of a face for square, and they have pretty strong ideas about how much players have to pay for their games, like $16 for crappy ipad port of ancient FF games), but it'll have its share of fans, and it'll hobble along for 5-6 more years.

It will never, in my opinion, be a profit generator, or even pay back the money spent on development, so in this sense it's going to be a failure.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    Talk about getting facts all mixed up . First off FFXIV:ARR graphics engine is new .It runs on the new  Luminous Engine . The engine was built in 2012 in June . The game at the moment runs on DX10 SE said DX11 is on the way late this year or early next year . ( PS4 is part of the reason ) The game launched and failed so much so SE fired the director of the game . Yoshi a avid MMO player and one of the top PvP players in DAoC  took over the game and made it to what it is today . Try open Beta and see for your self .

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

Define "fail". My opinion is that it will not generate a lot of negative press like the first release, and there's going to be plenty of paid-for fanfares and reviews in the game-press, so a significant number of players will try it, although less than expected (because re-launch of an old game is, after all, old news, whatever anyone thinks). Afterwards the population would drop fast, as it happens with other mmorpgs, and it will remain as you average game, no better than those already on the market going F2P.

It will probably never become f2p (that would be too much loss of a face for square, and they have pretty strong ideas about how much players have to pay for their games, like $16 for crappy ipad port of ancient FF games), but it'll have its share of fans, and it'll hobble along for 5-6 more years.

It will never, in my opinion, be a profit generator, or even pay back the money spent on development, so in this sense it's going to be a failure.

Keep in mind that FFXI still has a solid player base in Japan. If XIV manages to become popular in Japan as well then it really doesn't matter what happens here in the West does it?

What rock are you living under ? Beta had over 1,000,000 invites sent and out of that over 800,000 testers that tested the game . You can look that up I am not going to do research for you . This game will NEVER go F2P ever . Look at FFXI it is 10 years old and is still sub-based . ( older then WoW ) ARR will not need to be a HUGE hit in America , Canada , Or Europe . It has Japan that alone will make it Profitable .  SE is a Japanese company based in Japan and is the top 5 game producers I think its number 2 or 3 to be honest . SE doesn't need outside money for its games they are all funded ad produced by SE unlike WoW , unlike TERA , Unlike SWtOR , Unlike 95% of all the new MMOs out there today . Also not only will it have the PC market it has 70,000,000 PS3 users and if it got just 5% of that market alone world wide not including PC market that is 3,500,000 if it only gets 1% of 70mil that is 700,000 OF JUST the PS3 players. Then include the PS4 players witch there will be a lot if you include all the Xbox players that are going to ditch Microsoft for Sony some of whom played FFXI on there 360s . This game will do just fine and I suggest you try open beta before you comment on things you have ZERO knowledge about . Other then opinion with no facts .

• PicchuPicchu Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by Snowdon_Cloudripper
    Talk about getting facts all mixed up . First off FFXIV:ARR graphics engine is new .It runs on the new  Luminous Engine . The engine was built in 2012 in June . The game at the moment runs on DX10 SE said DX11 is on the way late this year or early next year . ( PS4 is part of the reason ) The game launched and failed so much so SE fired the director of the game . Yoshi a avid MMO player and one of the top PvP players in DAoC  took over the game and made it to what it is today . Try open Beta and see for your self .

This. Yes, Crystal Tools was used for the first version, but it turns out that that engine is horrible for computers and displaying lots of people at the same time. Like TOR's version of the Hero Engine.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Originally posted by Picchu

This. Yes, Crystal Tools was used for the first version, but it turns out that that engine is horrible for computers and displaying lots of people at the same time. Like TOR's version of the Hero Engine.

I like the turn of the phrase. "After 5 years of developing and testing it turns out". I wonder what else can turn out in the process... Wouldn't it be ironic if the new engine will, too, turn out?

[mod edit]

Oh I do know what I am talking about people know me as Inigo Montoya witch was my beta name . And the guy who has that thread stick on the top of these forums . 514 is a shooter MMO . Not like ARR different games . DCU is clunky on the PS3 . And Free Realms need I say more really ?

• PicchuPicchu Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by Picchu

I like the turn of the phrase. "After 5 years of developing and testing it turns out". I wonder what else can turn out in the process... Wouldn't it be ironic if the new engine will, too, turn out?

If you mean have horrible performance like the first one, they had made this specific version of the Luminous Engine for ARR, and optimized it specifically for this game. That allows better performance of the game at all levels of hardware. As a 1.0 player, I can't tell you how much better the performance is with the new engine, it's just that much better.

[mod edit]

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that Final Fantasy is MASSIVE in Japan, we as westerners tend to overlook how big a franchise is in its native country. Its got the makings of a solid, quality game. If a large number of people play it and enjoy it, then is it not a success?

What is your definition of a success? If financial and player numbers and quality of the product do not fit, then what does?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    For what it's worth the combat really shows its age.  Exact type of combat that would of been groundbreaking 8 years ago is now being foisted upon us which is a shame.  So all in all I would believe this game was in development 8 years ago.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• proxy42086proxy42086 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    For what it's worth the combat really shows its age.  Exact type of combat that would of been groundbreaking 8 years ago is now being foisted upon us which is a shame.  So all in all I would believe this game was in development 8 years ago.

Combat style is  a niche for certain people if you dont like it dont play. I dont like TSW combat so I dont play it, but I also dont bash it.

Its like saying the color blue sucks cause you dont like it and red is best cause you like red. Its a matter of opinion, if you dont like blue dont wear blue objects, if you like red your going to wear red objects.

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154

Thats a cool completely subjective opinion, have fun playing TERA or waiting for ESO/Wildstar/EQNext...

It's hilarious people fail to realize that if i wanted to mindlessly spam button rotations i'd play Street Fighter, Super Smash Bros, or at least an fps like Battlefield.

I like many believe it or not prefer this combat pace with the vast versatility of skills, and MEANINGFUL skill choices resulting from the GCD for PvE or PvP.  Some of us like chess not checkers, that doesn't make us old or stuck in an age of archaic game design. I just prefer a contest of both mental and physical skill, not who can spam the memorized xyz rotation the quickest.

Not saying ARR combat is slow or lacks skill to perform with a full arsenal. I have multiple 50's and do not feel that way whatsoever, however it is clearly designed with emphasis on the decisions you make and abilities you chose to use in your allotted time.  A proper approach especially if you ever hope to achieve large-scale balance in PvE and PvP.

No surprise considering that's how many of their successful titles have been, which I prefer to test one's mind not button mashing ability.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

What rock are you living under ? Beta had over 1,000,000 invites sent and out of that over 800,000 testers that tested the game .

How good is that? How much beta test signups did other recent MMOs have?

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Why do people like the OP create threads with false information, I don't get it.  Even some replies to correct the OP are completely untrue.
  • DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    There using an entirely new graphics engine for ARR, so nope it is technically not the same as v 1.0.
  • MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    The physical CE pc copy has already sold out, it's not even in beta 4 yet. Doesn't seem to fail to me.
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

You do realize that not everyone likes action type combat like Tera/GW2 right?

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

A lot of mmo players are coming into FFXIV with many misconceptions.

For example, mmo hoppers think of FFXIV as more of an MMO then a Final FAntasy.  If you appraoch the game as a FINAL FANTASY numbered title FIRST, and an mmo second... then you can see some of the design decisions.

For example, a lot of PC players cried about the game being on the PS3 and somehow it was holding the PC players back.  I hope you realize that there has never been a final fantasy that has not been played on a console.

With respect to the issue at hand,  the elephant in the room COMBAT.

The current combat is truer to the roots of previous final fantasy games then action based mmo's.  Approach FFXIV as a proper final fantasy and you'll see that the combat is more in line with its history than the recent trends of action mmos.

I prefer old school mmo and old school FF combat to action combat.  If the combat in GW2 and Tera were so amazing... i would be playing those games right now instead of biting my nails, nervously waiting for FFXIV release.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Searias

You do realize that not everyone likes action type combat like Tera/GW2 right?

Yea and those people are wrong. image

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

So many ignorent comments, the only thing that will fail is the trolls.
    While no1 ever expected this many beta sign ups it shows there is alot of interest in this game, from old FF mmo players and new players who never touched a FF mmo.

Naoki Yoshida gained much love from the community with his open letters and updates of what is getting done and what fans want.
    This man is very open to its playerbase and its something all those fake cash grabbing hype molesters can learn a thing or 2 from.

Will FF AAR have millions of subs ? no, and they dont need it.
    Can it happen ? yes FF AAR can get this many subs, but like i said it isnt needed.
    Just like Eve Online and World of Warcraft pre Activision they put their own money into it.
    And it was said that they arent worried to get that investment back.
    Good if its 2 months down the road and good if its 5 years down the road.
    It has been said many times over and over.

But why do you trolls care anyway ?
    Its just a Final Fantasy mmo, is doesnt pose a threat for your current mmo right ?
    They are all free to play now, so go back to those free to play mmo's and let us pay our outdated subscription....
    I mean its a 10 year old engine and its a fail mmo and it has tab target and its asian and its not good enough for you, we get it.
    Now move along and let us poor FF fans play our failed product in peace yes ?

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Well..............that just tell you how much graphics counts in an MMO.

If it was for the graphics, FFXIV would be the WoW killer, but unfortunately.....................

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

poke dx 9 bud : )

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

FYI< it is not the Luminos Engine, but something like it, Yoshi's words. Not sure where I read it, but the Luminos Engine just didn't jive with the needs of an MMO...so they made a new one from scratch. I expect the used Luminos as a guide, to be sure.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature