Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of Story & Phasing in ESO

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/19/tamriel-infinium-phasing-the-elder-scrolls-online/#continued

Let's see if they can implement it well and make ESO a good game.

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    I'll pass on the phasing TYVM..  That is the only thing I can think technically that is worse then instancing..... Another BAD design mechanic that segregates the community..  WoW had way to much phasing for my liking in the LK expansion and NEVER again..  Phasing belongs in the single player games, not MMO's..
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    I'll pass on the phasing TYVM..  That is the only thing I can think technically that is worse then instancing..... Another BAD design mechanic that segregates the community..  WoW had way to much phasing for my liking in the LK expansion and NEVER again..  Phasing belongs in the single player games, not MMO's..

You don't need phasing in single player games. Players have their own "world".

You will pass. I will check it out. It is a good way of changing the world according to the player. Much better to have some dynamics in the world, as opposed to everyone sharing the same static world.

And what do you mean never again? There is phasing in CATA. Just used differently. Plus, we are not talking about phasing that separate players. Just that players see different things.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    I'm not a fan of canned storylines these days.

I'd rather see 5 or 6 NPCs who have a name in the world and your actions affect your dealings with them. You could become allies, enemies, business partners, etc.

It would have been interesting to actually speak with Queen Christanosthex instead just seeing a faction standing message every time I nuked down dark elf vampire in Mistmoore. Maybe if I'd spoken with the queen prior to it would affect my decision-making ingame.

One of the unfortunate aspects of SWTORs storylines is you never again see most of the NPCs once their little quest stories are over.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

You don't need phasing in single player games. Players have their own "world".

You will pass. I will check it out. It is a good way of changing the world according to the player. Much better to have some dynamics in the world, as opposed to everyone sharing the same static world.

And what do you mean never again? There is phasing in CATA. Just used differently. Plus, we are not talking about phasing that separate players. Just that players see different things.

I left WoW before Cata for good reason..  Phasing was just stupid, such as Icecrown and Storm Peaks change depending on where you are in the QUEST HUB bullsh*t......  It separated the player base if they were not ALL completed.. Your stance earlier today was that you don't need to follow Quest hubs in the game.. WRONG.. Phasing is a perfect example that you are FORCED to play the quest hub game to unlock bull...... The whole LK thing was phase BS.. Some raids couldn't even happen because of it..... Tisk Tisk.. 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Tierless

At this point a game like Darkfall is more true to TES than TES is...sad really.

LOL now people are getting really desperate with their negative comments.

There Is Always Hope!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    I'll pass on the phasing TYVM..  That is the only thing I can think technically that is worse then instancing..... Another BAD design mechanic that segregates the community..

Yup, MMos that use instancing aren't worth touching.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    sounds ok to me.  I'm not huge on phasing either but if that's the way they can implement a decent story then I'm cool with it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    I'll pass on the phasing TYVM..  That is the only thing I can think technically that is worse then instancing..... Another BAD design mechanic that segregates the community..

So why do you keep touching it? I'm amazed you still post in this forum. There must be some sick negative attraction for you.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Whether or not they fix it remains to be seen but one of the negatives about the game (which there are many) is the inacessability for groups to play together due to the obtrusive phasing system.  This was addressed on Gamebreaker.TV and Zam's coverage.  For me this is a non issue since I prefer to play solo while leveling up but I am not stupid enough to possibly believe my way of playing is best for everyone and especially those who love to group this will be a huge hindrance.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Whether or not they fix it remains to be seen but one of the negatives about the game (which there are many) is the inacessability for groups to play together due to the obtrusive phasing system.  This was addressed on Gamebreaker.TV and Zam's coverage.  For me this is a non issue since I prefer to play solo while leveling up but I am not stupid enough to possibly believe my way of playing is best for everyone and especially those who love to group this will be a huge hindrance.

Only certain quests to players have to split up.. Like in LoTRO where certain story quests could only be done solo. Basically it is just some or maybe even all story quests that are done solo. Everything else does not effect groups at all.

Originally posted by SlyLoK

Only certain quests to players have to split up.. Like in LoTRO where certain story quests could only be done solo. Basically it is just some or maybe even all story quests that are done solo. Everything else does not effect groups at all.

I have never played an MMO where it was harder to just play with friends than LotRO. Splitting people between phases, instances, quest steps, linear locked zones, it was fucking awful. We all joined together thinking we'd be able to adventure and explore but the game does everything it can to limit that.

And THAT, is why story based MMOs don't work.

I have never played an MMO where it was harder to just play with friends than LotRO. Splitting people between phases, instances, quest steps, linear locked zones, it was fucking awful. We all joined together thinking we'd be able to adventure and explore but the game does everything it can to limit that.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I played with my guildies all the time in that game and I never felt like the game was preventing that. That game had one of the strongest RPG feels to it for a themepark compared to any themepark MMO today. The story kept me glued to the game. I guess everyone sees things differently.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by keithian

I have no idea what you are talking about. I played with my guildies all the time in that game and I never felt like the game was preventing that. That game had one of the strongest RPG feels to it for a themepark compared to any themepark MMO today. The story kept me glued to the game. I guess everyone sees things differently.

There was very little RPG about following a linear story through linear zones through linear cutscenes with invisible walls sprinkled around everywhere.

Hey, I want to play with my bud Ian! Oh wait, he has a quest to kill 10 rabbits. Well.. he can't share that quest with me for some reason. I have to kill 10 ducks on the other side of the map... guess we can't play together.

Oh let's do this dungeon! Wait, we all need to be on the same step of the same LONG quest chain to enter this dungeon? Because instancing is bullshit? Okay we'll just do the quests together. Wait, the quest chain has a lot of solo steps we can't help each other with? I guess we'll all just solo then!

Wait, you're in a different phase of Archet than I am?

So on and so forth.

Meanwhile, in good MMOs.

"Hey man, wanna kill lizards then go to that dungeon?" "Sure!"

There was very little RPG about following a linear story through linear zones through linear cutscenes with invisible walls sprinkled around everywhere.

Hey, I want to play with my bud Ian! Oh wait, he has a quest to kill 10 rabbits. Well.. he can't share that quest with me for some reason. I have to kill 10 ducks on the other side of the map... guess we can't play together.

Oh let's do this dungeon! Wait, we all need to be on the same step of the same LONG quest chain to enter this dungeon? Because instancing is bullshit? Okay we'll just do the quests together. Wait, the quest chain has a lot of solo steps we can't help each other with? I guess we'll all just solo then!

So on and so forth.

Meanwhile, in good MMOs.

lol not every quest was like that, yes like most themeparks it had that, but it had enough story tied to the instanced quests that it felt like Lord of the Rings. There was RPG going on with on the RPG server I played on with the way people spoke to each other, the hanging out in the tavern playing music, etc, and there were multiple ways to level for the same level bracket so you didn't have to be in exactly the same zone with everyone. Maybe you played a different version or were on a different server...or maybe you have bad friends, dont know.

There Is Always Hope!

So on and so forth.

Meanwhile, in good MMOs.

lol not every quest was like that, yes like most themeparks it had that, but it had enough story tied to the instanced quests that it felt like Lord of the Rings. There was RPG going on with on the RPG server I played on with the way people spoke to each other, the hanging out in the tavern playing music, etc, and there were multiple ways to level for the same level bracket so you didn't have to be in exactly the same zone with everyone. Maybe you played a different version or were on a different server...or maybe you have bad friends, dont know.

Sure, there was roleplaying, but if the devs wanted to be doing scripted singleplayer instanced linear missions, they should have made a Diablo game, not an MMO.

As it stands, they made a shitty MMO and a shitty COOP game at the same time. The best parts of LotRO were relics of when it was a sandbox game, like the instruments in the taverns. The whole game was supposed to be like that, but they decided to try to ham fist a poor story into it. All that story served to do was make it hard for peopple to just live in Middle Earth.

And come on, lets call it what it was, a WoW clone.

So on and so forth.

Meanwhile, in good MMOs.

Sure, there was roleplaying, but if the devs wanted to be doing scripted singleplayer instanced linear missions, they should have made a Diablo game, not an MMO.

As it stands, they made a shitty MMO and a shitty COOP game at the same time. The best parts of LotRO were relics of when it was a sandbox game, like the instruments in the taverns. The whole game was supposed to be like that, but they decided to try to ham fist a poor story into it. All that story served to do was make it hard for peopple to just live in Middle Earth.

Sure it was a WOW clone, but that doesn't make it a shitty game. A lot of people liked it. Why are you so egocentric?

There Is Always Hope!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Iselin

So why do you keep touching it? I'm amazed you still post in this forum. There must be some sick negative attraction for you.

Typically known as trolling

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Actually phasing when done right is the only thing that can truely give players a single player experience and immersion in an MMO world.  Now many people are not looking for such an experience, but many other more casual players are exactly looking for that.

Just ask yourself, did you like the story part of TSW, SWTOR and personal story in GW", then you surely are going to love this as it will give you a Skyrim experience inside an MMO.

As long as it is immersive, it can be done, as long as it keeps focussing players on the world and not on the actuall game mechanics, as long as it feels natural withouth to many loading screens, then it will work for the majorrity of MMo players, and thats still where the money is.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Actually phasing when done right is the only thing that can truely give players a single player experience and immersion in an MMO world.  Now many people are not looking for such an experience, but many other more casual players are exactly looking for that. Just ask yourself, did you like the story part of TSW, SWTOR and personal story in GW", then you surely are going to love this as it will give you a Skyrim experience inside an MMO. As long as it is immersive, it can be done, as long as it keeps focussing players on the world and not on the actuall game mechanics, as long as it feels natural withouth to many loading screens, then it will work for the majorrity of MMo players, and thats still where the money is.

I liked TSW. It was a fresh game with good storys, but it felt like a single player game. And the same happens here aswell, first they whent off about 3 fraction pvp game, and when they got the pvper hyped up they changed the game into a single player pve game....wtf

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

I'll have to pass on this game too.  I call it a game not an mmo because it's not an mmo its something else.

- Phasing

- Mega servers

They call it the way of 2013, I call it crap !

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

All these are insignificant details really. Whether i ll play TES or not depends only an only in just a few things.

1.Combat system how well it will get implemented and if its really working.

2.Character progression system, how deep it is,and with a slow gear improvement so u cant cap everything in just a few months playing.

3. Working and fun pvp

If any of the above aint work THEN id worry about TES .Not though about small details like instancing,phacing etc etc

So on and so forth.

Meanwhile, in good MMOs.

Sure it was a WOW clone, but that doesn't make it a shitty game. A lot of people liked it. Why are you so egocentric?

It made it a pretty shitty MMO, yes. The only good parts were the sandbox elements. But the game is so broken and antisocial. I can't blame people for liking it if they don't know any better.

I have a sore spot for LotRO because it was marketed for years as a sandbox game where you just live in Middle Earth. I even played the alpha version, called Middle Earth Online, and it was a thousand times better than LotRO ever was.

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Iselin

Typically known as trolling

Trolling would imply I don't believe what I'm saying.

Actually phasing when done right is the only thing that can truely give players a single player experience and immersion in an MMO world.

Except an MMO should never try to tell a singleplayer story, because phasing has never done right. All it does is split people up and break immersion.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Actually phasing when done right is the only thing that can truely give players a single player experience and immersion in an MMO world.

Except an MMO should never try to tell a singleplayer story, because phasing has never done right. All it does is split people up and break immersion.

Because it adds so much immersion, when you are standing in a same spot with fifteen other players waiting for a mob to spawn, so that you get a chance to loot a quest item from it. Oh, the respawn time is no less than 5 minutes and the one who does the most damage gets the loot rights. Just an example, but it actually used to be worse in few games.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."