Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Your Best and Worst Game World?

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,557Member Uncommon

Best MMO world - Fallen Earth, WoW, GW2, Final Fantasy 11, Lord of the Rings Online

Best Other Games - Darksiders 2, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect

Worst - AoC, SWTOR

• hyllstarterhyllstarter ukiah, CAPosts: 203Member Common

Best: Star Wars Galaxies

Worst: SWTOR

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 1,930Member Uncommon

Best:

LoTRO

AoC

Champions Online

Worst:

Neverwinter

SWTOR

• TheHavokTheHavok San Jose, CAPosts: 2,398Member Uncommon

Best: SWG

Worst: Aion.  Screw Aion.

Never played it, but I heard Dark and Light was pretty horrible.

• RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVPosts: 2,229Member Uncommon

Best: WoW. Variety of zones, and some truly wonderful scenes to slog through.

Worst: SWTOR. I don't even know what they were thinking. I've never felt more limited in a MMO.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member

Best is without a doubt Vanguard. I don't think any MMO to date has managed to create a world so fit for explorers as that. Though EQ1 and DAoC did well in terms of simulating NPC life and having great dungeons to explore.

Worst: SWTOR or WAR's PvE areas. Or WoW's everything. So limited with the instancing and phasing.

Honorable mention for worst MMO world: LotRO. It looks beautiful and it could have been great, except all the NPCs are lifeless except the ones you need quests from (and they just stand around), and the zones are horribly linear, stuffed with inivisble walls, instances, phases, and best of all... I tried to explore Middle Earth, and the game auto killed me without warning for entering a zone that I wasn't supposed to be in until I had done a level 50 quest. Garbage.

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,558Member Uncommon

Good ones - Vanguard, AoC, Rift

Bad ones - Neverwinter, SWTOR

• crack_foxcrack_fox WellingtonPosts: 402Member

Best - Vanguard

Worst - TOR

Originally posted by DMKano

Good ones - Vanguard, AoC, Rift

Bad ones - Neverwinter, SWTOR

Ugh, AoC? It looked pretty but it was all window dressing. You couldn't climb any of the mountains, you couldn't go off any of the paths. And all the quests sparkled and led you by the nose.

• MargulisMargulis Glendale, AZPosts: 1,614Member

Best:  Vanguard

Worst:  SWTOR & Defiance

The horror:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Rrk6lgi24

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

Best: GW2/WoW.  Lots to do and explore, can be quite beautiful and interactive at times.

Worst: SWTOR/TERA.  A lot of plastic landscapes, boring NPCs, invisible walls, goofy looking mobs.

• TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INPosts: 3,756Member Uncommon

THeres a few nice worlds really:

EQ, WoW, Entropia, Fallen Earth, Vanguard, DAoC, Anarchy Online, LotRO...basically anything that had alot to explore was good with me

The bad:

Rift, Neverwinter, LoL, SWtOR, DDO, TSW, Wizardry Online.....mainly games that have heavy instancing or have very little in the way of exploration.

• faxnadufaxnadu HelsinkiPosts: 940Member Uncommon
    I have been playing so many mmos and games and if we are talking about mmos here there are so many bad bad worlds but for me lorewise and worldwise there is only one that shines above em all and thats world of warcraft. lord of the rings online comes close but the game went downhill after turbine got all hands on it. world as a fan of tolkien is good.
  • KBishopKBishop tracy, CAPosts: 205Member

best: WoW.

It had a large open world AND it had instancing to give you more places to go.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon

Best game world... GW2 because they made a world that feels immersive vibrant and alive..

Worst game world... GW2, because they turned this lush vibrant world intoo a childrens story

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TorcipTorcip Sterling Heights, MIPosts: 669Member

Best, The Secret World.  Every zone just has so much character and history that you want to look everywhere for cool things you may not have seen otherwise.

Worst, SWTOR.  It felt like I was walking in a maze, had a few cool set pieces but the in betweens of the zones were horridly designed either straight lines or maze like structures. 

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,549Member Uncommon

The best:

Ultima Online, Asheron's Call 1, Anarchy Online, Pre-Cataclysm World of Warcraft (before they added flying mounts, phasing and linear questing everywhere, it was much better), Vanguard (the game sucked at release, but the world was and still is quite impressive), Lord of the Rings Online (before Moria), Guild Wars 2 (best cities in a MMORPG, feels alive with all the events happening, good focus on exploration).

Special category:

EvE Online, which is well made despite not being a traditional MMORPG world, for those who can "roleplay" a spaceship...

Average (not too bad, but definitely not among the best):

SWG (at least the planets felt big, unlike SW:TOR), Everquest, Everquest 2 (I don't mind zones, but come on... you couldn't walk 1 minute in the cities before you hit a zone wall!), Age of Wushu (that game almost looks like it uses the Vanguard engine with some improvements, but the world itself can't compare to Vanguard), Lineage 2 (I wasn't a big fan of the graphic style, but the world was not too bad), Tera (basically the same than L2, I don't like the graphic style and some monster design completely ruin the game for me), Darkfall (both) and Mortal (the worlds could be worse, but are not every remotely close to games like UO or AC1)

The worse:

Dark Ages of Camelot (completely separated leveling areas = artificial = not a world), Age of Conan and The Secret World (same design with random non-adjacent areas and artificial travel systems, don't even feel like worlds), Rift (so small and linear... and where are the real cities?), Warhammer (similar to Rift), SW:TOR (planets felt mostly small and linear, and Coruscant just plain sucked), Neverwinter (the graphics aren't bad, but that's not enough to make a world), Asheron's Call 2 (the world was the antithesis of AC1, so linear and quite small, and also felt so lifeless and empty), Guild Wars 1 (not even a world, to the devs defense they weren't calling it a MMORPG anyway).

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,172Member Uncommon

best:  Vanguard, EVE, SWG

worst: WOW, SWTOR, GW1

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by KBishop

How does instancing give you more places to go? If there was no instancing, EVERYONE would be able to go in all the dungeons = more places to go. Instancing at best adds no new space, at worst, locks people out.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Henderson, NVPosts: 363Member Common

Best: SWG

Worst: SWTOR

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock N/A, VAPosts: 593Member Uncommon

Best Game Worlds:

1.  Vanguard

2.  Guild Wars 2

3.  SWG

Worst Game Worlds:

1.  DDO

2.  SWTOR

3.  Age of Conan

My choices are ruled by open world vs overused instancing or very small zones.

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Ellicott City, MDPosts: 157Member

Best World: WoW pre-Cataclysm

Worst World: SWTOR

gameplay > graphics

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon

Best: GW2

While not the biggest, the world genuinely feels alive.

Worst: Rift

World just feels uninspired and dull.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by KBishop

How does instancing give you more places to go? If there was no instancing, EVERYONE would be able to go in all the dungeons = more places to go. Instancing at best adds no new space, at worst, locks people out.

Actually, then you wouldn't be able to go into the dungeon since you'd have to wait until the previous group is done. Instancing makes it so 100 groups can do the same dungeon at once.

• VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon

Best is probably Asheron's Call (the world didn't feel 'built') or Guild Wars 1 (yeh yeh it's not an MMO blah blah).

Worst is probably so bad I don't even remember it. Anyone saying a well known MMO for this hasn't spread their wings.