Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] WildStar: Revealing the Chua and the Mordesh

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

The two final races have been revealed for Carbine Studios upcoming WildStar. The Chua join the Dominion, while the Mordesh join the Exiles, and we've got all the details on both straight out of San Diego Comic Con.

This week at San Diego Comic Con WildStar revealed the final two races in the world of Nexus. We got on a call with the team at Carbine Studios to talk about the personalities behind these races and what they bring to the two major factions in the game. Wildstar has a unique sci-fi universe and both races fit into their weird and alternate roles. The Chua are the sociopathic gremlins of the Dominion faction that are responsible for the bulk of the empire’s weaponry. The Mordesh are space zombies who have been fighting off the Contagen for over eighty years. The Exiles have been smuggling them out as allies in the search for Nexus.

Read the rest of Garrett Fuller's WildStar: Revealing the Chua and the Mordesh.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Cinematics for this game  are cool. NCsoft isn't.  Neither are quest hubs.  This is actually paving out to crash just as hard as SWTOR did.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88
    Amazing, Can't wait to be a little crazy Chua running around the place blowing everything in sight up!

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    if the game is half as funny or entertaining as the cinematics this should be good.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Cinematics for this game  are cool. NCsoft isn't.  Neither are quest hubs.  This is actually paving out to crash just as hard as SWTOR did.  

Takes a lot of balls (or in your case ignorance), to make such a claim.

SWTOR crashed because they spent hundreds of millions of dollars pushing and preaching all about the voice acting and story, without delivering crap the game actually needed. The game needed real endgame content, instead they started bloating out the mid-game with legacies and the like.

It's all due to Bioware's complete and utter incompetence with MMOs. They had absolutely no clue what they were doing, and still very likely don't.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

Love Love Love the Chua :D

However, Blue Elves..... I mean really?  sigh...

Ratero.

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Rhonen

Ratero.

Looks like cyborg zombies to me, blue elves? really?

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

it'll be interesting to see if the fanboys will be in as much denial as they were with SWTOR. Judging from a post here it's starting to look that way

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by Joekra

Ratero.

Well tbh they resemble night elves from WoW.. a lot...

• MudfinMudfin Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Asamof

it'll be interesting to see if the fanboys will be in as much denial as they were with SWTOR. Judging from a post here it's starting to look that way

So, what are we fanboys supposed to be in denial about?  The game looks great to us, hence why we are fanboys.  Guess what?  If it sucks I'll do what I did with SW:ToR, leave.

I will never understand bashing a game or those who like it when you aren't playing, or won't.  Us fanboys don't look stupid, you do.

Now I get the elves comment.  I thought they looked like Forsaken Night Elves, but meh, i still like them.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Xarko

Ratero.

But cause their blue n humanoid?  Suppose Rift's Bahmi resemble the NE also?

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Mudfin
    Originally posted by Asamof

So, what are we fanboys supposed to be in denial about?  The game looks great to us, hence why we are fanboys.  Guess what?  If it sucks I'll do what I did with SW:ToR, leave.

I will never understand bashing a game or those who like it when you aren't playing, or won't.  Us fanboys don't look stupid, you do.

Now I get the elves comment.  I thought they looked like Forsaken Night Elves, but meh, i still like them.

What looks great about it, the same quest hubs we've seen in 100 other games? Or the arena and raiding that we all did in WoW at some point in our lives.  zzzz. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Ratero.

odd, i instantly thought of the forsaken at first glane. not really seeing any elvish simalrities

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

Ratero.

odd, i instantly thought of the forsaken at first glane. not really seeing any elvish simalrities

Haven't you heard, you posses long sharp ears and you're automatically a copy of a Warcraft elf. 

Scratching past the fact that, not all of them have ears to begin with and their ears look more like fisherman bat's ears. 

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

As to the appearance of the mordesh. Blueish or sometimes a light purplish is often used to indicate or imply a cyanotic condition. (That's a lack of oxygen, ever heard of blue in the face when choking?) It's a common thing for artists to do with any form of undead.

As the the green female mordesh, well, green is another color commonly used for undead types. It represents or implies a diseased or gangrenous condition.

Physically I don't think they look like WoW Night elves, their build is different. And despite them having large ears with points, they look nothing like the hyper extended things the night elves have that look like they can either be used for fishing poles or used for takeoff when they flap as one runs.

Here's something for you to think about, those mordent body parts that have been replaced by clear sections.  I wonder how much customization you will be allowed on that.

Feel free to argue any point you like (or not), it's only opinions. :)

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Looks amazing. Love the humor.

Chua vicious squirrels gone wrong.

Mordesh are basically the forsaken but still look cool.

Can't wait to play this.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• PunkrePunkre Member Posts: 92

The races look fine, nothing spectacular, but no glaring issues with them either (like FF11 and 14 did). If races sold games by themselves I would still be playing Allods over any other MMO. The gameplay is what makes this game look good. Skill shots>targeting, a good selection of classes and jobs. Not that its asthetics are bad as it has a good looking world and art style, funny dialogue that should transfer well. 

Of coarse I reserve right to make judgements about any game till I play it. 

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Interesting cinematics but that's about it.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Come again on those Elf comments? Check out the Mordesh on the left in particular. Skull cap with brain shown. Face mask with rotting zombie teeth shown.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Isawa

Come again on those Elf comments? Check out the Mordesh on the left in particular. Skull cap with brain shown. Face mask with rotting zombie teeth shown.

Cool screenshot, is it from Darnassus?

...pls thgh, someone is actually claiming those guys look like NE? :D

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167

These races look cool, but I'm still going with Aurin and Mechari for my first 2 toons. The most I got out of this is that the more info about the game they release, the closer the game is to being released ;) 

I really hope it still comes out this year...

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Ratero.

Thats my impression aswell, certainly didn't think they where an elf.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by discord235

These races look cool, but I'm still going with Aurin and Mechari for my first 2 toons. The most I got out of this is that the more info about the game they release, the closer the game is to being released ;) 

I really hope it still comes out this year...

Are you sure you aren't required to choose just one faction, not both?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Asura gnome chipmunks!  Maybe I'd have preferred the zombie guys since I want to roll Dominion, but they're still kinda cool. 
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by furbans

Ratero.

But cause their blue n humanoid?  Suppose Rift's Bahmi resemble the NE also?

Because of body build, of course. Tall, very slim, thin legs and body and suddenly big shoulders and hands. Very NEish imo.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

I think the races are pretty cool for this game. I do get the NE vibe people are talking about but I think they are different enough.

Looking forward to playing, lost hopes for beta, been signed up since day one. *sigh*

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk