Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

End of Nations: Executive Producer Speaks on Revival as Tactical MOBA

BillMurphyBillMurphy Managing EditorBerea, OHPosts: 2,367MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

The RTSGuru team caught up with Scot Lane, the Executive Producer on End of Nations to chat about the game's complete revamping and revival as a F2P Tactical MOBA. Read on for some info on the changes.

RTSGuru: Now, one of the biggest standout changes that everyone is talking about is End of Nations’ changed genre. What do you mean by “MOBA RTS,” and what changes can people who played in your betas, or closely followed the first game, expect?

You are right, there is a lot of talk about the genre change, but to clarify, the game hasn’t changed as much as it sounds like.  We’ve made the game more hero focused, and the biggest change would be tactical leveling.  A big concern we had previously was that battles and tactics didn’t really change because everyone was exactly the same at the beginning and end.  The addition of tactical leveling opens up lots of different strategies throughout a battle.  Combat is very similar but faster, and we’ve made a lot of changes to the UI.   We don’t feel we drastically changed the game at its core, we brought what we felt were the best parts up to the surface and removed some stuff that wasn’t working. 

Read the rest over at RTSGuru.

Comments

• TimassinTimassin Halifax, NSPosts: 14Member
    So this is Warcraft but with a Starcraft skin? Which I'm fine with, I really loved Warcraft 3 and I really hate LoL type games because they are boring to me.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Monroe, NJPosts: 1,707Member Uncommon
    I really want a dawn of war 3.  But I guess this will suffice.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-FFXIV:ARR

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Thereiam, ARPosts: 2,697Member

A big concern was that people were the same at the beginning and end of the battle. Well that explains why it wasn't working as an MMORTS.

An MMORTS should be about how the WORLD changed. How winning that battle changed the map, changed the conflict, changed the world. On top of that there should be permanent unit progression so therefore people would have changed after every battle.

Hearing things like that just screams that this project was turning out to be a terrible MMORTS and instead of fixing those features they said "How can we spin what it is that we have with just a couple of minor adjustments so we can just release the thing?"

• GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXPosts: 3,332Member Uncommon
    We can still have bacon tanks, so I'm cool with it!  I hope they didn't change too much, I loved the old version
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL NetherlandsPosts: 2,280Member Common

Dangit. There goes my Shattered Galaxy replacement.

They took what I loved and removed it, replacing it with something mainstream.

I'lle still try it though.........sigh.

• PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,924Member Uncommon

Honestly they shouldn't have said the term MOBA.  While it is a very broad term, people seem to specifically take it meaning "Dota" despite Dota just being of many games and variations that sprouted up. Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. There are many ways this can be accomplished, not at all functioning the same way. Traditionally they do involve a hero 'leveling' but even that isn't completely needed. I'd say if anything, the biggest defining factor in these types of games is just the emphasis on one primary unit or hero thus referencing to the idea of an arena.

RTS MOBA does represent what it is, but just... people have that natural ignorance about them, much like people did with the term "WoW Clone" in which they define any MMo with rpg elements (Most which wow never even started, there is very little wow actually introduced mechanic wise) while Moba seems to generate that Dota/LoL clone concept which they all are the same thing even if they vary gameplay quite a bit.

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,544Member Uncommon

I agree as an Alpha tester - the term MOBA is a bit off, the game is a much improved version of the old Petroglyph product. All of this was covered in interview with Scot Lane.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow TurkuPosts: 1,187Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

I agree as an Alpha tester - the term MOBA is a bit off, the game is a much improved version of the old Petroglyph product. All of this was covered in interview with Scot Lane.

NDA breach.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    I won't say if I am in or out of alpha HOWEVER i can see why they threw out the word moba