Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those worried about Firiona without a staff...

ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Apparently the next major game update in EQ2 has Firiona with her staff missing and there is some background to that.   I don't know what it is, nor would I post spoilers if i did, but the next update is supposed to have pretty major story impact in EQ2 (Kerafyrm, End of Ages, etc.), so just wanted to give update to all those people that were - clearly - extremely concerned about poor Fifi and her staff. 

(Source of Info:  eq2 beta forums, people from test have posted some stuff about this.  You can expect to find the lore sometime soon somewhere on Zam from one of the posters if you're interested in the spoilers and such.)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
Currently Playing: ESO

Comments

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Firiona Vie is a paladin in the lore. Good job art, dressing her up like a caster all of the time!
  • Butr0sButr0sButr0sButr0s Member Posts: 21

Is it just me or is the bow string on the wrong side of her arm?

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Butr0sButr0s

Is it just me or is the bow string on the wrong side of her arm?

LOL.

Now worries in game there wont be a string. (Seriously, why did they take bow-strings out of games? City of had em, so did EQ1 I believe.)

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

They fixed her bow and made other changes:

before: http://i.imgur.com/xrcfvMt.jpg

after: http://i.imgur.com/i2CZc8d.jpg

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

She isn't the same person in EQ2 as EQ1, so I would expect her to be different in EQnext as well.

Though I'm not sure Ranger is the right move, it isn't considered a High Elf class. I'm actually wondering if they've consolidated High Elves and Wood Elves into one race.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by bobfish

She isn't the same person in EQ2 as EQ1, so I would expect her to be different in EQnext as well.

Though I'm not sure Ranger is the right move, it isn't considered a High Elf class. I'm actually wondering if they've consolidated High Elves and Wood Elves into one race.

I think High Elves and Wood Elves were originally one race until they divided.

• Butr0sButr0sButr0sButr0s Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Iadien

They fixed her bow and made other changes:

before: http://i.imgur.com/xrcfvMt.jpg

after: http://i.imgur.com/i2CZc8d.jpg

Good fix, it was bothering me since I saw the original artwork.

• DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

If EQN is a prequel or rather in a  time before EQ1 and or EQ2, albeit in its own universe, and judging by the artwork so far Firiona looks really young, perhaps this is a time before the elves split and as such there is now one race and room for another such as Orcs or Kobolds etc.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Didn't EQ2 lore start after Plane of Time in EQ1 when we killed the gods which caused the events in EQ2 to happen ?  It never happen in EQ1 because they reversed the time line so you never actually did it.  EQ2 is what would of happen if they didn't.  So wouldn't that make her the same person in each game ?

Originally posted by dejoblue

If EQN is a prequel or rather in a  time before EQ1 and or EQ2, albeit in its own universe, and judging by the artwork so far Firiona looks really young, perhaps this is a time before the elves split and as such there is now one race and room for another such as Orcs or Kobolds etc.

You can tell it predates EQ1 because no valshir, no erudite in the art.   The Val Shir came after the Erudites went to war with each other and  a clan of the kerran were transported to the moon who became the val shir.   The art has the kerran which would mean that never happen so the erudite haven't left qeynos.   Which would mean EQN starts a few hundred years before EQ.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

EverQuest Online Adventures was a prequel to EQ1 and Ogres could be Necromancers because they hadn't been cursed with stupidity yet I guess lol.

As I recall, in EQ2 their intelligence was returned to them by Rallos Zek and that's why they start trying to take over the world or something. Could be wrong lol. Cool stuff though. Not really on topic, but I just wanted to share!

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by William12

You can tell it predates EQ1 because no valshir, no erudite in the art.   The Val Shir came after the Erudites went to war with each other and  a clan of the kerran were transported to the moon who became the val shir.   The art has the kerran which would mean that never happen so the erudite haven't left qeynos.   Which would mean EQN starts a few hundred years before EQ.

Kerran and vah shir are the same thing.  It's like the difference between French and English.  They're the same race, just in a different tribe.  

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

It would also mean the Erudites aren't around which would explain them missing in the new art.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Actually, given (the extremely limited) current info, i would now guess that they're making Firiona the common thread between the EQ games.

Facts:

1.  Firiona was main "symbol" of EQ1, yet was almost never used in EQ2.

2.  Suddenly, last year Firiona appears in EQ2.

3.  Ethernere has been confirmed by the DEVs to be "shared" by all the EQ games.

4.  in EQ2, Firiona is currently dead and in Ethernere.  

5.  The EQN art features Firiona without her traditional staff.

6.  EQ2 most recent developments feature Firiona losing her staff.

Although what is "real" is guess work, based on all this stuff, I'm guessing that Firiona somehow emerges out of her Ethermere ordeal in EQ2 and moves into the world of EQN (leaving her staff behind... ffs, surely someone can find this woman a stiff staff if she so badly needs one!)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

• DizeyDizey Member Posts: 4

It's been said already that it will be a parallel universe. My impression from that is that any events that have occurred in EQ1 or 2 are irrelevant to EQN.    Think of it as them resetting the calendar to day 1, and then taking the lore in whatever direction they will.  It's an exciting new story all on it's own,  many  things familiar, many not.

My take on Firiona having a bow and sword instead of a staff is that it may be hinting at some sort of  system where the direction you choose to build your character in terms of class and skill-sets isn't limited by your choice of race.

This is off topic, but I hated seeing Firiona the way she was portrayed in that art.  I personally don't mind the art style, and I'll be fairly content with it if our characters are similar in the actual game, I just don't like the high elf graphic.   High elves  have always seemed to carry an almost angelic appearance to me, and it's really lacking in that image.

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169

It's VAH SHIR and it doesn't predate EQ1. EQN is a parallel universe that takes place at the same time as vanilla EQ. They've already said that.

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by Dizey

It's been said already that it will be a parallel universe. My impression from that is that any events that have occurred in EQ1 or 2 are irrelevant to EQN.    Think of it as them resetting the calendar to day 1, and then taking the lore in whatever direction they will.  It's an exciting new story all on it's own,  many  things familiar, many not.

My take on Firiona having a bow and sword instead of a staff is that it may be hinting at some sort of  system where the direction you choose to build your character in terms of class and skill-sets isn't limited by your choice of race.

This is off topic, but I hated seeing Firiona the way she was portrayed in that art.  I personally don't mind the art style, and I'll be fairly content with it if our characters are similar in the actual game, I just don't like the high elf graphic.   High elves  have always seemed to carry an almost angelic appearance to me, and it's really lacking in that image.

Or it's the fact the game is in a PARALLEL UNIVERSE where FV uses those weapons instead of a staff...how is that so hard for people to grasp. Anyways, her using a staff is just as weird considering shes a paladin...

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I am just glad to see the EQ team taking shuch a proactive view on the gaming populace. For heaven knows that the most important thing any woman can protect is her... Shins...?

Would it have hurt to put some clothes on the poor girls... Honestly...? It is getting sort of boring.

This have been a good conversation

• DizeyDizey Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz
    Originally posted by Dizey

Or it's the fact the game is in a PARALLEL UNIVERSE where FV uses those weapons instead of a staff...how is that so hard for people to grasp. Anyways, her using a staff is just as weird considering shes a paladin...

It's not difficult to grasp, but we've seen this statement:

Dave Georgeson: "I agree with Chris. Let's say I have a character that I really, really like. And I've named him and I wrote a background for him and I figured out what he looks like and I've created his house and all this other stuff. I don't feel like I should have to be relegated to a single class. I don't feel like that that's a restriction that needs to happen. And I do believe that there are ways to balance the game to be able to let you have more choice. Because ultimately this is a role playing game and you should be able to play the role that you want to play. Without necessarily having to recreate another character. My opinion. And I think that there's a lot of ways we can go down those paths so that they are really interesting and very cool for the players. And we will be pushing that a lot farther."

Originally posted by tawess

I am just glad to see the EQ team taking shuch a proactive view on the gaming populace. For heaven knows that the most important thing any woman can protect is her... Shins...?

Would it have hurt to put some clothes on the poor girls... Honestly...? It is getting sort of boring.

The clothing in the EQN poster is nothing compared to the ridiculousness of Tera.

I hope that women players can at least choose from a respectable range of styles fairly easily.  Let the pre-teens who want skimpy outfits have em.  Let the women players who want more respectable or reasonable outfits have them too.  Leave it up to the player to select outfits and armor styles that fit their preferences.

Vanguard got a lot of flack for making their women look like mormons, but Tera is the exact opposite extreme.  Hopefully they can manage to hit a middle ground somewhere.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Gallus85

The clothing in the EQN poster is nothing compared to the ridiculousness of Tera.

Plus, the dark elf in the EQN poster has substantially better boobs, which ultimately is what it's all about.  (Apparently).

- Raph Koster

It's VAH SHIR and it doesn't predate EQ1. EQN is a parallel universe that takes place at the same time as vanilla EQ. They've already said that.

No they haven't said when it takes place they said its a parallel universe.  Just because it happen in EQ doesn't mean it will happen in EQN.    If you assume its starting at EQ1 then you can make other assumptions like the Kerran in the poster if its not Vah Shir that means the erudites never went to Odus. 

No they haven't said when it takes place they said its a parallel universe.  Just because it happen in EQ doesn't mean it will happen in EQN.    If you assume its starting at EQ1 then you can make other assumptions like the Kerran in the poster if its not Vah Shir that means the erudites never went to Odus. 

Why would you assume this, since things can have happened quite differently in the parallel universe.  Maybe the Kerrans and Erudites are allies that banded together against a great evil this time around.

You can't make any assumptions of the story based on original EQ.

I think the most likely scenario is that Erudites don't exist which is why they are missing from the latest artwork.
    I think the most likely scenario is that Erudites don't exist which is why they are missing from the latest artwork.

By that logic, 50% of the game's classic races are missing along with them. lol

Not a chance.

Halfing (We already saw screens of their homeland in game), Gnome, Erudite, (Maybe Barbarian if that woman with the hammer is just a normal human), ogres, trolls, half-elf and Iksar (It's not classic, but close enough) all missing from the game?

That's not even going into EQ2 starter races like Ratonga or Froglok.

I don't expect every single one of these races to make it into the game at launch, but I suspect most of them will.