Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA unsecure

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I have a habbit of creating sepperate email adresses for every game i play that requires you to log in with your email adres.  They are free, so no big theing to do.  

So yesterday i created a new adres for TERA, signed up with that to the game and downloaded it, played it for a few hours.

Guess what, a few hours later i get  a mail from google telling me that someone from Hefei, Anhui, China has been trying to hack my brand new gmailaccount.

So how the frack did that someone get that mailadres, i only used it to sign up to TERA never visited the TERA Forums with it and never used it for any mailing.

I think someone might have gotten his fingers on the database containing the users playing TERA.  They might have even been inside my game account and now trying to hack the mailadres hoping for other game passwords and leads.  Obviously they did not have my gmail password and could not get in. They where blocked and tracked by Google.

Take this as a warning and be carefull

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Considering you just created this account I would say TERA is most likely not the way your email address was located.
  • theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102
    i do new mail for any new game i play. Never had any problems with Tera and any other games. Check your antivirus.
  • TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524
    Or someone got a hold of your PC.

Eleanor Rigby.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by mcrippins
    Considering you just created this account I would say TERA is most likely not the way your email address was located.

Well, since its also a new Email adres created 10 secconds before signing up to TERA and i did not use it for anything else, TERA is probably the cause, espescially since there are no keyloggers on my system or other malware.  

Either TERA or GOOGLE got hacked, i know which one is more likely when the hackers come from China.

Make your own conclusions i would say, but soemthing fishy is going on here.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Treekodar

Not likely... because a keylogger would also have known the password and not only the gmail account.

Originally posted by theoneandonly
    i do new mail for any new game i play. Never had any problems with Tera and any other games. Check your antivirus.

And no, i have no virusses, Mallware, keylogger or trojans, ...  that was hte first thing i checked, when google told me about the hacking attempt...

In my vision, the problem is most likely TERA side..  TERA europe to be more precise.

• enik3enik3 Member Posts: 37

How random was the email account? Was it like [email protected] or tera6357!!@gmail.com? Hackers use databases filled with permutations of dictionary words and common terms and just spam login attempts. I created a gmail account for my daughter for her future use -- it's never been used or given out (but it is a fairly common name) and I've had login attempt alerts on that account.

I do agree that it sounds kind of fishy. But it could be a strange coincidence too.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Treekodar

Not likely... because a keylogger would also have known the password and not only the gmail account.

Actually very likely, because from the look of it, you are one of the few (if only) people on this thread to have this problem, and it wouldn't be a bad assumption to assume that you are also in the minority of TERA players.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

*tinfoil hat on*

You know Google is in league with the NSA and the Illumanati right? You need to take a magnet to you comp right now. A large electro magnet in fact.

*tinfoil hat off*

Sounds fishy. I would hit up Tera support and their forums too. They should at least be made aware.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by theoneandonly

And no, i have no virusses, Mallware, keylogger or trojans, ...  that was hte first thing i checked, when google told me about the hacking attempt...

In my vision, the problem is most likely TERA side..  TERA europe to be more precise.

things are getting clear now.... Gameforge.....

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

I have a habbit of creating sepperate email adresses for every game i play that requires you to log in with your email adres.  They are free, so no big theing to do.   So yesterday i created a new adres for TERA, signed up with that to the game and downloaded it, played it for a few hours. Guess what, a few hours later i get  a mail from google telling me that someone from Hefei, Anhui, China has been trying to hack my brand new gmailaccount. So how the frack did that someone get that mailadres, i only used it to sign up to TERA never visited the TERA Forums with it and never used it for any mailing. I think someone might have gotten his fingers on the database containing the users playing TERA.  They might have even been inside my game account and now trying to hack the mailadres hoping for other game passwords and leads.  Obviously they did not have my gmail password and could not get in. They where blocked and tracked by Google.Take this as a warning and be carefull

Someone else already got it right in this thread - It's just a coincidence. There's server farms out there checking random email addresses to see whether they can find a match, when they do they get added to a database and possibly get bruteforced for a short while to test for the most simple passwords. It's a way to farm new emails for spam and stuff like that.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by mcrippins

Did you miss the part about only using that newly created email address from one thing, Tera?  So unless Google is sharing newly created email accounts with the Chinese its most likely Tera is sharing user data somewhere else.

Its not illogical at all for that to be the case.

Back when NCSOFT was a security sieve, I had the same problem.  Made a brand new email account and only used it for AION.  The next day I was getting fake your AION account has been hacked click on this link emails.

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by Bigmamajama
    Originally posted by mcrippins Considering you just created this account I would say TERA is most likely not the way your email address was located.
    Did you miss the part about only using that newly created email address from one thing, Tera?  So unless Google is sharing newly created email accounts with the Chinese its most likely Tera is sharing user data somewhere else.

Its not illogical at all for that to be the case.

Back when NCSOFT was a security sieve, I had the same problem.  Made a brand new email account and only used it for AION.  The next day I was getting fake your AION account has been hacked click on this link emails.

Read my post above again.

It's just a coincidence - Your mail address just happened to be the one the mail generator spit out for the 'hackers'. Given that they're trying to validate the existence of millions of mails per hour, it's no surprise that it could happen to a mail which has been created just moment before. Just because something is improbable doesn't make it impossible.

Also, don't try to confuse causality with coincidence ;p

Another thing that can happen is when your email is shown in plaintext on a site somewhere, it might be crawled by bots to farm those addresses, another way to obtain those kind of emails.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA