Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadowrun: Returns Goes Gold!

KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

The first of the well known Kickstarted games is about to be released. It will be available on Steam.

http://youtu.be/UFYsQ0M2Jrg

You can also get the game via the HBS site.

http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/

If you backed the kickstarter you can get a DRM free version via the HBS website. Note the DRM free version will not be albe to play any of the official DLC updates for the game, only community mods. The Steam version (DRM) will be able to play the official content HBS will release later.

This is due to the licensing agreement HBS has with Microsoft.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Comments

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Looking forward to it. pre ordered this as soon as it was available on steam. 
  • KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Sweet!

Oh, and for those that backed the KS remember to check your email often. Steam keys are already flowing out to backers and you can enter your key into steam now so that all you really have to do on the 25th is open Steam and it will download the game for you automatically!

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    I can't wait!
    I preOrdered this Folk Tale and Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny these 3 should keep me busy all summer.
  • Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I'm looking forward to this game. I beat the snes Shadowrun 10x when it was first released. Along with ff6 and chrono trigger, shadowrun was my favorite console game of that era.
  • DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

I am a Kickstarter backer, and I got my Steam keys a few days ago! I jumped on this and Shadowrun Online immediately... huge Shadowrun fan, but of the pencil & paper RPG first and foremost. I am so stoked to start playing this and creating stuff with the editor!

I am almost more stoked for the physical rewards I am getting though, I'm a sucker for collector's editions and I got the $125 version, so I get a bunch of cool extras like the t-shirt, USB dog tags, a Docwagon card, etc...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    do i need to play the old games to play this one?
  • EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Kingmob23
    I'm looking forward to this game. I beat the snes Shadowrun 10x when it was first released. Along with ff6 and chrono trigger, shadowrun was my favorite console game of that era.

Shadowrun for snes was okay at best. The real Shadowrun was on Sega, now that shadowrun was the 5h17

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    do i need to play the old games to play this one?

No.

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky
    Originally posted by Kingmob23

Shadowrun for snes was okay at best. The real Shadowrun was on Sega, now that shadowrun was the 5h17

I liked the freedom in the Sega version, but I enjoyed the narrative and atmosphere more in the snes version. Really enjoying Shadowrun returns right now. Nice nods to both games.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Well folks, 6 HOURS of gaming down so far and I can most assuredly say that this title is well worth EVERY PENNY put into it. The story so far is very damn good and it has the feel of Shadowrun, which may sound silly but these days, you never know.

Kickstarter 1

Naysayers 0

Chavez y Chavez

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I was a huge fan of the Sega version but never played the SNES version. This is great news, certainly going to check it out now!  Thanks to the OP and those who responded, Shadowrun  always had a special place in my heart.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Wish someone would make a mmorpg based on this world
  • VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Absolutely delighted for them, it's a beautifully written game and damn good fun. It really came out of left field. I'm completely sucked into the storyline, I think I even dreamed about it when I went to sleep last night. Just goes to show that you can replace big budget bells and whistles with old school low tech if they pay attention to the essentials of quality. I hope they make a bomb and teach the big developers how to make a decent game. 
  • Like the game a lot except for the terrible lack of a proper save system. Someone on the dev team needs to play less Call of Duty rail shooters and more old-school RPGs. At least have the game save on exiting. It sucks having to replay a big section because something comes up or you feel like playing some other game.
  • describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

i'm enjoying it, seemingly it ties in the stories of the megadrive (or whatever the yanks called it - sega genesis or something) and snes quite well. I'm too early at the start though, meeting the protagonist from the SNES game and having him fight alongside me was kinda cool though.

the UI could have done with a little bit of work - conversation system still feels clunky.

Plus side, this helps kill of my memory of a certain first-person shooter video game that pretty much helped kill off FASA (shame the original mechassault for the first xbox - was a fantastic launch xbox live game - the sequel wasn't, but eh it was a sequel)

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Playing Shadowrun and comparing it to a big budget title like XCom really shows you where the money goes in the development process.

--No VO at all

--No CGI or even engine cinematics

--No fancy fluff like zoomed-in-slo-mo death animations during gameplay

And that's really it.  The only thing seperating Shadowrun from a mega budget game is the cinematic bells and whistles.  And honestly I don't think a fully animated storyline would be as well-presented as the entirely text storyline in Shadowrun.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• Sounds, animations, graphics and scope, too, evidently. Also XCOM just feels super smooth to play. Not bashing Shadowrun, but I think there's a big difference between it and XCOM and the difference in price is very well justified.
  • ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    I think the graphics are just fine. It took me about a week playing in the evening to finish XCom on normal. As far as depth goes there's more skills/builds available in Shadowrun.

Gameplaywise the only real problem I have with the stock campaign is you to hire a team for every mission instead of building up a permanent roster.

There's already a rough remake of the SNES game and hopefully more content will come in.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Shadowrun Returns is everything I hoped it would be except it is too short. But I am loving the atmosphere, story, combat system, and character building. I really hope the community builds a lot of campaigns with the included editor because I want to play a lot more.