Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN Gear

Comments

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Ozivois

Calling it a "gear treadmill" you are begging people to not vote for that option.

The reality is that without gear progression players have less goals and therefore, less reason to play the game. Once you have maxed out your levels and gear there is no reason to play that character anymore other than to use it to help others adventure for their gear and level progression.

This is why "uber" gear loot needs to be very rare, and why certain areas need to be too deadly until you have collected a certain gear set that makes your character survivable there.

I'm not seeing your point.

Why not play a game for the sake of having fun?  Is the game not fun if you don't get an arbitrary trinket every time you do something?

Not saying there can't be item rewards in a non-gear treadmill system.  You can earn money and resources that are valuable (maybe use them to buy a house, or improve an existing house.  Buy a nice mount.  Buy a different outfit look.  Purchase consumables.  Buy a boat. etc)

I can name countless games that I have played where they were fun without the need for gear treadmills.  

I play BF3 and PS2 just because they're fun.  I don't need to be enticed with a reward to want to log in and fight the enemy team.  GW2 doesn't have an end game gear progression system.  Just horizontal upgrades and skin-looks you can work for basically, and a lot of people are clearly enjoying that game.  It's one of the most successful MMORPGs to date.

I think that if the game isn't fun enough for you to want to play unless there's a carrot on a stick waiting for you, then it's not a good game.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by dejoblue

If EVE has any bearing on how gear will be in EQN then it will be pretty dispensable. That does not mean that raids wont exist. Materials could drop to make gear, adornments, enchants, etc. Then everyone will definitely have the same gear jsut depending on what role they choose, crafter, merchant, raider, PVPer, etc. and the cash shop will differentiate the looks from the basic gear's look.

Now I do not expect this in EQN I would love it and I would love to have raids that didnt simply drop gear but materials instead. Well have to see about all of this I dont expect any of it I expect a sandpark. Raids with gear treadmill, sectioned off PVP with land to fight over and hold and a decent crafting system. I hope I am wrong, boy do I.

Dear God, please no. The cash shop should have nothing that u can't make or drop in game. If EQN wants to have a real crafting system with importance, crafters should do all the dyeing, upgrading, repairing or modifying the look of armor, weapons etc. CS should be only for things that people with more money than sense want, not things that a crafter should do. I know they need to make money, but if real money is only way to make your character look the way you like, then thats lame. To have a better economy and community, we should hire other PC's to make/upgrade look of our gear, cast buffs, whatever, but keep it in game. Im more than happy to pay 15 a month to have the whole game available to me.

Originally posted by ropenice

If EVE has any bearing on how gear will be in EQN then it will be pretty dispensable. That does not mean that raids wont exist. Materials could drop to make gear, adornments, enchants, etc. Then everyone will definitely have the same gear jsut depending on what role they choose, crafter, merchant, raider, PVPer, etc. and the cash shop will differentiate the looks from the basic gear's look.

Now I do not expect this in EQN I would love it and I would love to have raids that didnt simply drop gear but materials instead. Well have to see about all of this I dont expect any of it I expect a sandpark. Raids with gear treadmill, sectioned off PVP with land to fight over and hold and a decent crafting system. I hope I am wrong, boy do I.

Dear God, please no. The cash shop should have nothing that u can't make or drop in game. If EQN wants to have a real crafting system with importance, crafters should do all the dyeing, upgrading, repairing or modifying the look of armor, weapons etc. CS should be only for things that people with more money than sense want, not things that a crafter should do. I know they need to make money, but if real money is only way to make your character look the way you like, then thats lame. To have a better economy and community, we should hire other PC's to make/upgrade look of our gear, cast buffs, whatever, but keep it in game. Im more than happy to pay 15 a month to have the whole game available to me.

I obviously feel crafters should be an important part of the game, but I'm sure there's a way to have a cash shop with valuable and interesting things people will want to buy, without marginalizing crafters.

They already said that crafting is going to have it's own way to "show off" in the game, and that it's going to be an important aspect of EQN.  So regardless of how they do the CS, crafters will still be in high demand.  Don't you worry.

The most important thing to remember is that it's a F2P game.  They have to make money from people in some way.  As long as you're not spending more than $120 every 6 months, you're spending just as much as a P2P game where you have to buy the $60 box and $15 a month after that.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by Gallus85

I obviously feel crafters should be an important part of the game, but I'm sure there's a way to have a cash shop with valuable and interesting things people will want to buy, without marginalizing crafters.

They already said that crafting is going to have it's own way to "show off" in the game, and that it's going to be an important aspect of EQN.  So regardless of how they do the CS, crafters will still be in high demand.  Don't you worry.

I never enjoyed crafting and I would HATE it if i was dependent on crafters. I should be able to play and max my character without any crafters help. They should only serve to make equal quality items available through mobs. Not to make exclusive crafted gear

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz

I never enjoyed crafting and I would HATE it if i was dependent on crafters. I should be able to play and max my character without any crafters help. They should only serve to make equal quality items available through mobs. Not to make exclusive crafted gear

You do realize EQN is supposed to be a sandbox, right? In a true sandbox, nearly anything usable beyond early game play is character created.

There may be breeders/engineers for mounts, crafters for gear, and of course people who specialize in creating pieces for housing. This is of course if EQN goes full sandbox.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

That's a sure fire way to trivialize crafters and make them useless.  Buying or making crafted gear should always be the primary method of obtaining gear or at least superior to dropped loot.  Otherwise there's no reason for crafters to exist outside of making consumables.  The worst that can happen is that you fight mobs for money drops then you pay a crafter to make you gear.  Would that be such a terrible thing?  You get to adventure and never craft, and a crafter gets to have fun and progress in the game.  It's a win win.  Your scenario is one sided and frankly a bit selfish.

Also, sandbox games are notorious for intricate and important crafting systems.  This is not needed by definition(You can have a sandbox with zero crafting), but due to the comments of Dave Georgeson, and the history of sandbox MMORPGs, you can almost be certain that you're going to want crafted gear and services in EQN. 

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169

That's a sure fire way to trivialize crafters and make them useless.  Buying or making crafted gear should always be the primary method of obtaining gear or at least superior to dropped loot.  Otherwise there's no reason for crafters to exist outside of making consumables.  The worst that can happen is that you fight mobs for money drops then you pay a crafter to make you gear.  Would that be such a terrible thing?  You get to adventure and never craft, and a crafter gets to have fun and progress in the game.  It's a win win.  Your scenario is one sided and frankly a bit selfish.

Also, sandbox games are notorious for intricate and important crafting systems.  This is not needed by definition(You can have a sandbox with zero crafting), but due to the comments of Dave Georgeson, and the history of sandbox MMORPGs, you can almost be certain that you're going to want crafted gear and services in EQN. 

Yeah maybe but crafters are definitely the minority against adventurers. Also, spending my money on a crafted item can be tricky. Crafters usually try to rape you with prices. Remember when cultural crafted gear came out in EQ? it was retarded expensive. Also, you had to adventure to get the mats. Or if you bought them, it just increased the incentive  to mark up your product, which isn't any better than dropped items.

It also leads to a lot of boring sets of gear. I can't tell you how many people i saw in EQ2 or GW2 that had something like "Emerald Imbued of the Predator." And they usually didnt even provide set bonuses. They just made gear very generic and boring.

EDIT: I would like crafting if they made stuff that was the same quality as things available but added something DIFFERENT, not BETTER. Set it apart from dropped items but don't make them better.

Yeah maybe but crafters are definitely the minority against adventurers. Also, spending my money on a crafted item can be tricky. Crafters usually try to rape you with prices. Remember when cultural crafted gear came out in EQ? it was retarded expensive. Also, you had to adventure to get the mats. Or if you bought them, it just increased the incentive  to mark up your product, which isn't any better than dropped items.

It also leads to a lot of boring sets of gear. I can't tell you how many people i saw in EQ2 or GW2 that had something like "Emerald Imbued of the Predator." And they usually didnt even provide set bonuses. They just made gear very generic and boring.

EDIT: I would like crafting if they made stuff that was the same quality as things available but added something DIFFERENT, not BETTER. Set it apart from dropped items but don't make them better.

Crafters can only charge what people are willing to pay.  When something new is discovered, you're going to pay a 1st-in premium because there isn't a lot of competition for the crafter. 

Crafters are a much larger community than you might think, and EQN dev team has already vowed to make them an important part of the sandbox experience of EQN.  If you think they're just going to allow the same quality of items drop off mobs in EQ and trivialize crafting, you're going to be in for a shock.

Bottom line, bring a box of tissues to the live stream viewing on August 2nd.

I'm more of a PVP heavy player, who also enjoys some PVE in my PVP games....  I don't really craft, not really my thing.

But you're living in a fantasy world if you think they're going to be making EQN crafters a second class after-thought when they've already promised to make them a huge part of the game.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I would greatly prefer if the focus is on character progression, rather than gear progression.

Was a huge fan of the old remort/tier systems in MUDs.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Originally posted by Tygranir

This is also where Alternate Advancement comes into play. It can take Years to max out a character in EQ1, depending on your play habits. Not to mention, there are new AAs added with every expansion (Which comes about once a year). So, there are other ways to grow your character outside of gear.

Yes, I love AA's. A much better system than a constant gear grind.

• SneakyTurtleSneakyTurtle Member Posts: 41
    I just want to be able to get gear and look Unique

- SneakyTurtle

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Ozivois

Calling it a "gear treadmill" you are begging people to not vote for that option.

The reality is that without gear progression players have less goals and therefore, less reason to play the game. Once you have maxed out your levels and gear there is no reason to play that character anymore other than to use it to help others adventure for their gear and level progression.

This is why "uber" gear loot needs to be very rare, and why certain areas need to be too deadly until you have collected a certain gear set that makes your character survivable there.

Yes, I hate when people setup polls like that and then come in and announce how much the negative is failing.  It's trolling.  Perhaps it should be reported as such.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

AoC came out without a "gear treadmill" with most gear being pretty generic and not making a huge difference.  While i'm sure SOME people liked, the vast majority just found it boring.  At the end of the day, i think RPG players want to slay the dragon and get the +5 Sword of Dragon Slaying.  There is only so far you can get with doing everything "for fun only".  

I chose the 3rd option because as longas it's good, i WILL play it, but i think it would be extremely difficult to design a good game that doesn't provide good character-upgrading rewards for tough challenges.   

Simply put - gettng cool stuff is fun.  Doing something amazing and getting an amazing reward is fun. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

Gear.... I would like to see this in EQ Next

All gear types can break (become only good for salvage materials)

All gear damages with use. More damage taken in some situations and less in others.

Gear starts with a quality rating. The higher the quality rating, the longer the gear will last before needing repair or breaking.

There will be a special gear type called Fabled that does not degrade, but is extremely rare.

Raiding will supply items with overall higher quality ratings.

This basic design would make raiding worth it to get items that don't wear down as fast in addition to extra stats.

• NodboNNodboN Member UncommonPosts: 50

I like the idea of collecting crafting gear, but i wouldn't want that gear to be the best in game. Don't get me wrong the high lvl gear you craft would be at the top 95 percentile at least.

I still want gear from lore to be better. gear with special names and models that don't recur, shows you'v been here and  killed that epic monster.

A game needs a portion of achievement for hard core gamer's, something that lets them feel set apart from casual players

with gear-grind, it better be for something really useful and worth it --- ill play

without gear-grind, the crafting better be beyond compare with hundreds or thousands of different gear models, with enchanting so that i can change the stats to fit the gear i like --- ill play

i just hate games where everyone looks the same clone after clone after clone.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Sanbox games aren't meant to be Gear centric...................if they are, then they are not sandboxes.

So I hope that there will be many more things to do in EQNext than collecting gear............

• NodboNNodboN Member UncommonPosts: 50
    a sandbox game is the choices you make on how you play, everyone plays differently. if anything a higher lvl of choice of what gear to wear and what not to wear is in the spirit of sandbox choices. But yes i too hope there is a lot more to do than collect gear, i still want to collect tho.
  • aeremusaeremus Member Posts: 16

I really hope that the gear/crafting system is like star wars galaxies was with one exception the clothing/armor attachments can be removed from your gear by a crafter/crafter kit so you can put them in a new set of gear as the attachments will be drops and good ones hard to come by.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

gear threadmill force mmos to become be just that, a gear threadmill game. I dont want that. No matter how much fun i have in games, if they are a gear threadmill grind i cannot be a competitive player if i dont join the threadmill. I hate that.

Thats why i love GW2 because it isnt a threadmill. It could be a better system, allowing you to craft those amazing pieces of gear or let them just drop to everyone right away, but its still better than threadmills.

Im tired of mmos (even new ones) going the threadmill way, specially with the loot dice roll system. I dont want to run 1354234525 times the same dungeon to have 2 drops that i want. Drop a piece of gear people can use to everyone each time they run a dungeon. Once you get your sets of armors and reach the level for a higher dungeon, drop the stuff to everyone for each run. The less i have to grind a dungeon for gear the better system it becomes.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I think MMOs need to go back to using the ARPG way of loot and gear.. Didnt AC and AO do that? I didnt play either of those much to recall for sure.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    I think MMOs need to go back to using the ARPG way of loot and gear.. Didnt AC and AO do that? I didnt play either of those much to recall for sure.

whats different about the ARPG and mmo loot and gear system?, correct me if this is wrong but ive heard many people saying Diablo 3 had a gear grind threadmill like wow. And D3 is ARPG.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by rojo6934

whats different about the ARPG and mmo loot and gear system?, correct me if this is wrong but ive heard many people saying Diablo 3 had a gear grind threadmill like wow. And D3 is ARPG.

It is a different kind of treadmill/grind in that everything is random and much more enjoyable ( to me ). Not do X dungeon / boss / raid 1000000x looking for the exact same item in name and stats that everyone else has.

Originally posted by rojo6934

It is a different kind of treadmill/grind in that everything is random and much more enjoyable ( to me ). Not do X dungeon / boss / raid 1000000x looking for the exact same item in name and stats that everyone else has.

Ya a random generated system.  It has limitations, obviously (You have to set parameters, min/max/type/amount of stats the item has), but generally this creates a system where there is a lot more gear variation.

I personally will play EQN regardless of it's gear system, but I'm hoping for more of a horizontal gear system, where gear is more about personal tastes and customization, instead of chasing a gear treadmill or running "end game" dungeons just to find something with a few more +stat bonuses or a proc that you want.

Something where the stats, the type of weapon/armor and other factors are not "better", but they just let you customize your character better.  (For example,a warrior wearing plate armor and wielding a Mace and a shield to be a more defensive warrior.  Or that same warrior wearing leather armor and dual wielding axes to be more mobile and do more damage)

Give me tons of different, equal quality items to earn that can be used to change the way I play my character, instead of pigeon holing me into "The One Set To Rule Them All" that I have to farm a boss for over and over again.

A system like this would create a lot more character diversity, make character customization much more interesting and would help prevent vertical progression systems that we have come to hate.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

hmm OP.. you just touched on something I had forgotten years ago..   Gear today always seems to be about more def stat, or more dps, or more healing.. This gets me to thinking that back in the days of EQ or even earlier AD&D (paper and dice) that having more strength or more wisdom didn't always mean you did more damage or made you more godly..  Seems over the years game devs have gone down that path and have forgotten their roots..

You made the comment about a warrior customizing and who says a warrior HAS to wear plate.. There has to be alternate choices.. Wearing plate is heavier, but more cumbersome, whereas wearing chain is lighter and more agile.. So sure you can wear plate and if you get hit, it doesn't hit as much, BUT if you were more agile with chain, maybe you don't get HIT in the first place.. Those are the kind of new mechanics I wouldn't mind seeing..  I think gamers today have been brainwashed into believing ONLY a certain way of gearing exist and I know there are more outside the box.. :)