Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Online: New Work in Progress Video Revealed

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

The team over at Goblinworks has released a new video detailing Pathfinder's progress, focusing mostly on environments. Check it out below!

Find out more over on the official site.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

The environment looks good.  But so did Vanguard :(

I am still holding out and did help with the Kickstarter, so I do have a vested interested in its success :D

The music is interesting though.

The adventurers still seem soft,,, I mean one shot by an orc.. Really?   :D

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by WolfClaws

I am still holding out and did help with the Kickstarter, so I do have a vested interested in its success :D

Orc?  Thought that was an ogre or something big.  Loved the goblin taunt though.

Was skeptical at first about this as I am a D&D fan and will always see Pathfinder a rip off the D&D license.  But after that turd of bile called Neverwinter I've started reading up on PFO and am gaining a lot of interest in the game.  I just hope it is not a game where it takes a lot of time and effort like EVE where it's a second like but something a casual can legitimetely play while not being dumbed down to being a faceroll.

Wanting to know how combat will work and really want to hear bout combat abilities or "skills" since they are following EVE's format in that regard.

Wished I had backed this game's kickstarter.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Have to say though, FINALLY a game with a modest and reasonable approach to armor looks, so sick n tired of outlandish or really bad armor designs.
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by furbans

Orc?  Thought that was an ogre or something big.  Loved the goblin taunt though.

Was skeptical at first about this as I am a D&D fan and will always see Pathfinder a rip off the D&D license.  But after that turd of bile called Neverwinter I've started reading up on PFO and am gaining a lot of interest in the game.  I just hope it is not a game where it takes a lot of time and effort like EVE where it's a second like but something a casual can legitimetely play while not being dumbed down to being a faceroll.

Wanting to know how combat will work and really want to hear bout combat abilities or "skills" since they are following EVE's format in that regard.

yeah nice video, looks like an ogre to me, u willl have another opportunity to donate just keep uptaded.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Great early look, have to agree that I wish I had backed this game and that the armor actually takes a realistic approach that I can get my head around.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I would so love to see Goblinworks pulling this whole thing off and land a huge hit, but i doubt they can.

• FanOfSupermanFanOfSuperman Member UncommonPosts: 144

Well, the reason why it appears to be a rip-off of D&D is because Pathfinder's Lead Designer, Jason Buhlman, spent many years at TSR/WotC as a lead designer and editor and had a major influence on D&D itself.

I'm guessing (and this is merely my assumption) that he didn't like where D&D was headed with the 4.0 ruleset and decided to start his own company, Pathfinder - which if you've played both, blows D&D away IMHO. The classes are better and the game gives you a lot more freedom in both adventuring and developing your character how you see fit.

I'm extremely excited for Pathfinder Online and although it'll be awhile, can't wait for the game to launch.

[mod edit]
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by FanOfSuperman

Well, the reason why it appears to be a rip-off of D&D is because Pathfinder's Lead Designer, Jason Buhlman, spent many years at TSR/WotC as a lead designer and editor and had a major influence on D&D itself.

I'm guessing (and this is merely my assumption) that he didn't like where D&D was headed with the 4.0 ruleset and decided to start his own company, Pathfinder - which if you've played both, blows D&D away IMHO. The classes are better and the game gives you a lot more freedom in both adventuring and developing your character how you see fit.

I'm extremely excited for Pathfinder Online and although it'll be awhile, can't wait for the game to launch.

[mod edit]

^

This, and Pathfinder is used under license from the Open Game Content d20 rules system so it cannot be a "rip off."

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

This project is one of the more ambitious ones I have seen. I was concerned they are vaporware considering the initial lack of assets.

Seems like they are actually getting some solid work done, though.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Mithrundir
    Great early look, have to agree that I wish I had backed this game and that the armor actually takes a realistic approach that I can get my head around.

This all day long. Im getting sick of these huge, outlandish gear and weapons that MMOs now seem they need in their games to sell boxes.

Just this early look at Pathfinder tells me this is the kind of game i want to spend my time in. Realistic looking world with realistic looking gear.

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

[mod edit]

^

This, and Pathfinder is used under the Open Game Content d20 rules system so it cannot be a "rip off."

I should have mentioned that Neverwinter's Foundry system is also a great feature. However, other than that and the combat, I stand by my original statement.

Oh, and WoW was the first MMO! ;)

[mod edit]

^

This, and Pathfinder is used under the Open Game Content d20 rules system so it cannot be a "rip off."

I should have mentioned that Neverwinter's Foundry system is also a great feature. However, other than that and the combat, I stand by my original statement.

So what you are saying is the Foundry is a rip-off of the Neverwinter Nights Aurora toolset?

Oh noes......................................

/drinks

:)

[mod edit]

^

So what you are saying is the Foundry is a rip-off of the Neverwinter Nights Aurora toolset?

/drinks

That's precisely what I'm saying!

Oh, and you couldn't possibly be taking a shot for every "WoW is the first MMO" comment. You'd have pickled your liver long ago. :)

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Loved how things were coming along. Games like PFO are going to have the largest impact on the industry.  The Crowdforging idea (where they basically pool fan input to decide upon and prioritize the implementation of features) is a huge plus.

I really believe that these sort of Kickstarted sandboxes are going to define the next generation of MMOs. Shroud of the Avatar, Pathfinder online, Camelot Unchained, Star Citzen-- all these games actually have a vision of what they want the experience to be, and are willing to work tirelessly towards achieving that vision.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by superconducting

Loved how things were coming along. Games like PFO are going to have the largest impact on the industry.  The Crowdforging idea (where they basically pool fan input to decide upon and prioritize the implementation of features) is a huge plus.

I really believe that these sort of Kickstarted sandboxes are going to define the next generation of MMOs. Shroud of the Avatar, Pathfinder online, Camelot Unchained, Star Citzen-- all these games actually have a vision of what they want the experience to be, and are willing to work tirelessly towards achieving that vision.

I pretty much agree here.  There's a couple of features on PFO that ring hollow to me, but you can see they're at least working to solutions to problems that have been in the genre since the days of UO and EQ.

As to the video, loved the character animation (the whirl attack was a little too fast), and models.  The ground textures were a little bleary.

Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by Mithrundir

This all day long. Im getting sick of these huge, outlandish gear and weapons that MMOs now seem they need in their games to sell boxes.

Just this early look at Pathfinder tells me this is the kind of game i want to spend my time in. Realistic looking world with realistic looking gear.

^ This to infinity

• wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127
    Not one bit of innovation here, How many times have we seen this? What did that video show that we haven't seen before in other online games. Sorry, not excited. Stop feeding the industry the same ole stuff. Cheers to your progress though, at least you are doing more than Greedmonger and Embers of Careus as those look to be vapor.

[mod edit]

^

/drinks

That's precisely what I'm saying!

Oh, and you couldn't possibly be taking a shot for every "WoW is the first MMO" comment. You'd have pickled your liver long ago. :)

I go through livers like "ground breaking" "new" MMO's - once a week.

Originally posted by wowclones
    Not one bit of innovation here, How many times have we seen this? What did that video show that we haven't seen before in other online games. Sorry, not excited. Stop feeding the industry the same ole stuff. Cheers to your progress though, at least you are doing more than Greedmonger and Embers of Careus as those look to be vapor.

I beg to differ. You must not have been following PFO. For one thing it's an early progress video that is obviously not showing much. Secondly, you don't think this is innovation?? (taken from kickstarter page):

1. No Grinding- Pathfinder Online uses a skill training system like that of EVE Online. You train skills by choosing what skill you want to train and allowing the time required to elapse. You don't train any faster by farming mobs or spamming your abilities than you do exploring the world, role playing with your friends, or even being offline. You will need to complete certain achievements to complete a skill and open up new avenues of training.

2. No Classes- Unlike other games that give you a narrow range of abilities as you train your class, in Pathfinder you gain levels in different Roles based off what you have trained.

3. Player Structures- Build your own homes, taverns, farms, and even cities! The Pathfinder Online world will be filled with places players can use to build and customize their own homes, businesses and communities.

4. More Than A Gankfest- Unlike other Open World PVP MMO's currently on the market, Pathfinder Online actively discourages meaningless PVP. A meaningful alignment system that actually offers mechanical advantages to lawful and good aligned organizations, and a functional bounty system that allows the player to choose which players and organizations can collect the bounties they set discourages random and meaningless killing. Beyond this, the admins are taking a hard stance against 'griefing', in which players specifically seek to ruin the experience of other players, often through using game mechanics in ways that weren't intended. Griefing in PFO can be a bannable offence.

5. All Players are Useful- This won't be like games where a new player has 49 health and a veteran has 49,000. The attacks from that new player won't automatically miss the veteran. A new player will be weaker, but still able to make a meaningful contribution to combat. As a sandbox where group sizes aren't limited, this means all players are useful, and don't have to segregate themselves by level.

6. Trade is Meaningful- In Pathfinder Online players must manually transport items to their intended destination. Most shops are player-run, and there will be goods more abundant in or even exclusive to certain regions. Merchants, traders, and even auctioneers are all viable professions.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by grimfall
    Originally posted by superconducting

I pretty much agree here.  There's a couple of features on PFO that ring hollow to me, but you can see they're at least working to solutions to problems that have been in the genre since the days of UO and EQ.

As to the video, loved the character animation (the whirl attack was a little too fast), and models.  The ground textures were a little bleary.

I was curious which features you feel "ring hollow" if you don't mind elaborating? Overall I'm impressed with the ambition and vision of PFO. I'm not sure the combat is going to be earth-shattering, but if it blends in with the great range the rest of the game is aiming to offer, it might be more than ok and there's always an outside chance it will be better than average.

SotA and Star Citizen are interesting in being quasi-mmo, so with some of the advantages of mmos but less of the disadvantages eg providing solo, group content that links in with a persistent map.

I hope PFO can be a truly MMO mmorpg in the same vein as EVE Online achieves.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by wowclones

Sometimes its not all about "innovation". Sometimes it is just about getting things to work. There is nothing wrong with "the same ole stuff" either. Ever heard " if its not broke, don't fix it"?

Back in the day. You know that one meal your mom or grandmother use to make for you? How awesome is was that words could not describe how great it tasted?

Now your wife finds out what this meal was and tries to make it for you and it turns out like shit. She tries to improve the recipe with her own flair or whatever she wants to call it. Innovate the recipe so to speak.

Get what im saying? Sometimes its not all about the new, Its about something that stand the test of time.

The traditional MMO is not outdated. Just needed a new paint job and a tune up.

I think the lacking Innovation means that the video we have seen, could be replaced with pretty much any MMO out there.  Oooh pretty , ahhh shiny, but in the end, we don't play those games because they ended up sucking or lacking what we want.

When you are ready, just show us the game.  Wow us with its wonders.  Don't tease us.  It isn't fair.

But to be fair, kickstarters get like monthly updates (sometimes twice a month) on what is going on with development.  But I am focusing on Star Citizen for now, maybe in time Pathfinder will find its way into our hearts.

And that is an orc, it has to be :P

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

[mod edit]

Sorta. Wizards of the Coast (who own all things D&D) decided to make 4th edition more MMO game friendly probably due to D&D Online. They wanted it capable of porting from paper to pixel. SO they took directions with the progression system with 4.0 that essentially pissed off all (or nearly all) of their customer base. That customer base was okay with 3.0/3.5 and wanted the next version to be a refinement of 3.0/3.5.

Well, WoTC did what the hell they wanted to and long story short 3.0/3.5 stuff was selling better than 4.0. Paizo, a company that made it's name selling all things table top gaming sold both as well as earlier versions of D&D. Well, WoTC put down a mandate that nothing but 4.0 could be sold. Around then is when Bulhman linked up with Paizo (which was created by Lisa Stevens and crew as an online retailer of gaming goodies) and with the addition of several other D&D vets (like Monte Cook) they used the OGL and made Pathfinder.

Pathfinder is considered by many dice rollers as "D&D 3.5 Done Right". It's not a "rip off" as rip off inherently means no permission was given. The OGL (google it) expressly gives permission for ANYONE (even you and I) to take the 3.0 system and make a RPG out of it.

And that's what Paizo did. They made the true successor to D&D 3.0. Pathfinder is Paizo's #1 seller I believe. That tells you the customers knew what they wanted. Our group will never look back to WoTC and D&D now. Even though WoTC went to the forums and essentially begged the forum users to tell them what they want in this next upcoming version of D&D I still don't think it will help. I'd posit that 90% of the D&D fanbase switched over to Pathfinder and the way that Paizo keeps updating with source books and adventures and such, there is no reason to go back.

Table top gamers are more cutthroat than computer gamers. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement that WoTC is either shutting down all things D&D related or selling them to Paizo. D&D4.0 was the "NGE" for WoTC that SOE experienced with SWG.

Listen to your customers, especially if they start talking about their wallets going elsewhere!

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I think the lacking Innovation means that the video we have seen, could be replaced with pretty much any MMO out there.  Oooh pretty , ahhh shiny, but in the end, we don't play those games because they ended up sucking or lacking what we want.

When you are ready, just show us the game.  Wow us with its wonders.  Don't tease us.  It isn't fair.

But to be fair, kickstarters get like monthly updates (sometimes twice a month) on what is going on with development.  But I am focusing on Star Citizen for now, maybe in time Pathfinder will find its way into our hearts.

Well, it's not. It's an ogre.

To say that PFO lacks innovation shows that you haven't been following this game in the least. It tells that if you read a developer blog (which we got bi-weekly for around a year and now for the last few months we have been getting weekly)  there is no way you would utter such a statement.

I'll not waste my time recounting the list here. The information is out there. No, the game will not be made with Crysis level graphics, but the substance that it is replacing that eye candy with will make it one of the most meaty gameplay sandboxes to date.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Well, it's not. It's an ogre.

To say that PFO lacks innovation shows that you haven't been following this game in the least. It tells that if you read a developer blog (which we got bi-weekly for around a year and now for the last few months we have been getting weekly)  there is no way you would utter such a statement.

I'll not waste my time recounting the list here. The information is out there. No, the game will not be made with Crysis level graphics, but the substance that it is replacing that eye candy with will make it one of the most meaty gameplay sandboxes to date.

Can you do me a favor, and at least read my entire post? 

I know what their intent is, I know what the features are, I get emails from them frequently.  Yesterday as a matter of fact. 

I am saying, from viewing the video, it shows me nothing new or innovative that I have not seen in a hundred other game videos.  Vanguard looked good, and it did, but the play control was blah.  Neverwinter looked good, but it was way too dumbed down.

I know what I am talking about as I have been gaming since the Atari was out and Galaga was a number 1 hit.  And I find time to game between deployments, work and social life. 

Personally I want to see combat, both melee but spell, I want to see the innerworkings of the inns, with PCs running around, then I want to see how they are actually doing character development, and not just read about what they would like to do, but the actual doing.

That is what I was talking about.  And it still looks like an orc :P