Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The virtual world feeling

Comments

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    wurm online and haven & hearth - generally sandbox game where you can affect the world around you and do other things than combat
  • DrelkagDrelkag Member UncommonPosts: 56

Mabinogi is the current game I'm playing with that feeling. 

Characters age every week and lose/gain weight depending on what they eat.

NPC's aren't just names that hand out quests but have personalities, stories, relationships, etc.

Tons of noncombat skills for gathering/crafting and housing.

Rebirthing after you die is explained in the game lore and feels like the best reason given compared to WoW or EQ for example.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by waynejr2

I  would like to see a game hide all the numbers.  Let players experiment like the days of old.  They might find some fun in it.

If that is fun, they won't be downing an add-on for wow en mass and let the add-on do it for them. They would have been doing the experiments themselves.

It is pretty obvious that most want the results, not the fun of the research.

Let me tell you this, when i first played EQ, i hated the deathpennalties and not being able to do anything solo, or how harsh the game was when you made a single mistake. 

Now many years later i have come to realise that exactly these things, the challenge, the excitement and the fear of dieing made the experience so good... Surviving an adventure was a reward by itselves.

the people that play current day mmo,s like a cleric works his spreadsheats are the same people comlaining that mmos are so boring these days, well obviously because they are playing with spreadsheats instead of having fun adventures in an immersive world.

now, i realise that people love min maxing, but if you give the a single character sheat and hundreds of abbilities to choose from, you replace the boring numbers with things much more challenging like planning strategies and having tactics based on abbilities and not on numbers.

Let me tell you this, when i first played EQ, i hated the deathpennalties and not being able to do anything solo, or how harsh the game was when you made a single mistake.

Now years later, i still hate it and glad that there are MMOs that fix all that. Games are actually fun. Combat is actually deep and challenges comes from mechanics, not an artificial penalties that waste my time.

Who is complaining? Watch youtube videos are gearing, min-maxing, skill builds. People are having fun doing that.

And yes, i think abilities are better than numbers (like those in D3) *but* optimizing different abilities with numbers is fun. That is why people spends lots of time on gearing. Sure you may not like it but don't tell me that millions of players who use RAWR do not.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    For me, the only game giving me that feeling right now is EVE Online. A universe driven by players with almost infinite possibilities and the deepest metagaming you can imagine.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

This got me to thinking. Having multiple ways to accomplish a task, mission, quest goes a long way to create a virtual world.

I do like to have multiple ways to finish a task. That is why i play action stealth games like Dishonor, and Deus Ex. (Deus Ex is great .. you can fight, sneak around and does take-down, sneak around and not fight, and hack and use robots).

However, you do NOT need a MMO or a virtual world to do this right. In fact, i think this many-way-to-play idea is better suited for a SP game with tight level design (like Deus Ex), than an open world game. It is much easier to ensure each solution option is valid and fun.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by Rydeson
         Virtual world is very subjective.. IMO any game mechanic that brings about  a physical or emotional response on my end meets that qualification..  The game world needs to mean something to that individual..  Normally I like the change in climate, sounds and mobs to start with.. 

That's why Ryzom wins hands down.

Thanks for the hint.. I went to check out Ryzom and boy, it sure looked great..  I'll take your word for it that the gameplay matches what they say then do.. I've always been a fan of day/night cycles and that should effect mobs as well.. I"m really impressed that Ryzom has seasonal changes as well.... NICE..  It would be great that during the winter when agricultural crops go dormant, it should effect the market of resource availability.. That was one thing I really liked about SWG was the rotating resource system and how it effect crafting..  I was also thinking that seasonal should effect mobs as well.. Such as birds should migrate to a warmer climate, etc etc.. Having a world that changes from hour to hour, day to day is a huge bonus in my book

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    In terms of gameplay depth UO felt more lile a medieval fantasy sim than a MMO. EQ felt a bit more lively thanks to the then cutting edge graphics, the great detail in the interior environments and the NPC faction system that gave real weight to your combat choices.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

This got me to thinking. Having multiple ways to accomplish a task, mission, quest goes a long way to create a virtual world.
    I do like to have multiple ways to finish a task. That is why i play action stealth games like Dishonor, and Deus Ex. (Deus Ex is great .. you can fight, sneak around and does take-down, sneak around and not fight, and hack and use robots).However, you do NOT need a MMO or a virtual world to do this right. In fact, i think this many-way-to-play idea is better suited for a SP game with tight level design (like Deus Ex), than an open world game. It is much easier to ensure each solution option is valid and fun.
    I have gotten Deus Ex GotY and Invisible War from GOG. I have had some fun in the Game of the Year edition, but have not gotten far yet. The graphics are quite dated :)

I am not saying MMOs "need" multiple ways to accomplish a task, but they do help it feel more immersive for me.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

I do like to have multiple ways to finish a task. That is why i play action stealth games like Dishonor, and Deus Ex. (Deus Ex is great .. you can fight, sneak around and does take-down, sneak around and not fight, and hack and use robots).

However, you do NOT need a MMO or a virtual world to do this right. In fact, i think this many-way-to-play idea is better suited for a SP game with tight level design (like Deus Ex), than an open world game. It is much easier to ensure each solution option is valid and fun.

I have gotten Deus Ex GotY and Invisible War from GOG. I have had some fun in the Game of the Year edition, but have not gotten far yet. The graphics are quite dated :)

I am not saying MMOs "need" multiple ways to accomplish a task, but they do help it feel more immersive for me.

Sorry i wasn't clear. I was talking about Deus Ex Human Evoluation, the modern incarnation of Deus Ex, not the old one. The old ones are good, but like you said, dated in terms of graphics.

DE:HE is great in gameplay *and* graphics.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Sorry i wasn't clear. I was talking about Deus Ex Human Evoluation, the modern incarnation of Deus Ex, not the old one. The old ones are good, but like you said, dated in terms of graphics.

DE:HE is great in gameplay *and* graphics.

*Better graphics, worse gameplay.

Originally posted by Dihoru

That is debatable. Aside from the boss fight (which was fixed in the DLC), DE:HE is as much multi-option gameplay as the earlier DE, but much more polish.

That is debatable. Aside from the boss fight (which was fixed in the DLC), DE:HE is as much multi-option gameplay as the earlier DE, but much more polish.

With less immersion and less RPG elements, trust me I've played both, didn't like either but whereas Deus Ex 1 pissed me the hell right off throwing (my then) teenage mind against a something I couldn't find a solution to (my brother was far quicker on the uptake than me and actually finished the game)  with DE:HE I got bored after the first mission... sure the options are there and that's new and all for this era of gaming but it just doesn't feel as good without having to compensate for crappy gun skills.

With less immersion and less RPG elements, trust me I've played both, didn't like either but whereas Deus Ex 1 pissed me the hell right off throwing (my then) teenage mind against a something I couldn't find a solution to (my brother was far quicker on the uptake than me and actually finished the game)  with DE:HE I got bored after the first mission... sure the options are there and that's new and all for this era of gaming but it just doesn't feel as good without having to compensate for crappy gun skills.

hmm ... that is not the same game i played. First, when i play DE:HE .. i don't have to shoot anything. I play it totally with a stealth style. And figuring out how to take-down without being seen is fun (for me). Oh, and i love the hacking and the use of robot/turret/camera to my advantages.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Fallen Earth

It's landscape seamless is just huuuge. It got nearly no invisible walls or restrictions of any kind. You can walk to whereever you want to. The landscape looks quite realistic too, and there are some stretches with little stuff to see, which makes it more immersive, than something like Rift, where one quest hub is 10metres away from the next, with the NPCs behaving as if there'd be a hundred miles between them. Also it got a single world and server for all players, which is neat too. Also the viewing distance is great. The stuff just doesn't vanish in fog after 50 metres.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

hmm ... that is not the same game i played. First, when i play DE:HE .. i don't have to shoot anything. I play it totally with a stealth style. And figuring out how to take-down without being seen is fun (for me). Oh, and i love the hacking and the use of robot/turret/camera to my advantages.

The only thing really better about DE:HE is the story's theme (not the actual story mind you). You could say the conversations with options were interesting but meh... not that interested in that. You could also do the whole stealth bit in Deus Ex 1 and it's harder and far more rewarding... that's how my brother finished them game... I'd Rambo through a level, he'd shinobi his way through, took him twice the time it took me but he ended up finishing the game whereas I ended up in a airplane with a cyborg and me with a bazooka in hand... all possible variations with my health at the time was either me dragging my ass with 3 broken limbs away from a bloodstain on the side of the airplane in lieu of cyborg or me becoming the bloodstain.

Originally posted by maji

Fallen Earth

It's landscape seamless is just huuuge. It got nearly no invisible walls or restrictions of any kind. You can walk to whereever you want to. The landscape looks quite realistic too, and there are some stretches with little stuff to see, which makes it more immersive, than something like Rift, where one quest hub is 10metres away from the next, with the NPCs behaving as if there'd be a hundred miles between them. Also it got a single world and server for all players, which is neat too. Also the viewing distance is great. The stuff just doesn't vanish in fog after 50 metres.

So you need to walk for ages without seeing anything interesting?

I would much rather have something fun to do every 10 meters.

Huge does not equate more fun.

Fallen Earth

And eating pizza every day isn't healthy and ruins pizza for you.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Fallen Earth

Depends on what you consider interesting.

I like riding or biking through Fallen Earth, looking at times on the map whether I'm still in the right direction, enjoy the music and the graphics, while I'm on the way to my destination. Maybe I'll find some strange hut or other interesting thing on the way. Or I might wonder what's beyond the one hill to the east, and check that out. That's what's fun to me. And I like that more than what it's like in most other MMORPGs. You take 20 seconds to travel from one major town to the next (or 1 second with some teleport system). And if you travel there manually, you get attacked every 2 seconds by some stupid mob.

The most extreme example is Rift, where there are always mobs everywhere around you, constantly. If you'd lie down anywhere, you wouldn't touch the ground, because there'd be half a dozen mobs under you.

But everybody got different preferences. :)

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Fallen Earth

Ages? How dramatic.

I've experienced the MMORPG "Rift style" mob layout. This is a gaming experience I could have lived without. Talk about a yawnfest.

Huge, when done right, is something that spoils many of us to the point where it is difficult to go back to anything less. The enhancement to the MMORPG experience is undeniable.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Although there are no NPCs or mobs, PS2 has a pretty immersive virtual world. A lot of that IMO is attributed to the sounds and visuals of the game. Whether it's ambient or combat related the sound and visuals can make it seem like you're really there. The physics system for tanks/aircraft helps a lot too.

Man I would love to play it with a virtual suit...
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

EVE Online.

Partially because it's sci-fi and closer to modern so player behavior and what they say doesn't conflict with the world. A pirate named EliteHax0r who shittalks people is fairly organic for the universe.

And partly because they took the time to integrate pretty much everything into their universe one way or another. All the UI is somehow integrated and explained; the death system is compatible with the lore and such; the tutorial is pushed on the HUD interface; even PLEX'es are treated as pilot licenses and an item in the game.

Furthermore, the game is mostly logical. High sec space is logical, low sec space is logical, Concord is logical, wormholes are logical. Items don't have strange properties where they are bound on equip or where they never get destroyed. People can take your stuff and shoot at you if they want. The manufacturing and invention process makes sense. There are no fake made up stats in the game, everything is tied up either to the lore or even to physics.

It just makes sense. Most games don't.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

Fallen Earth

I like riding or biking through Fallen Earth, looking at times on the map whether I'm still in the right direction, enjoy the music and the graphics, while I'm on the way to my destination. Maybe I'll find some strange hut or other interesting thing on the way. Or I might wonder what's beyond the one hill to the east, and check that out. That's what's fun to me. And I like that more than what it's like in most other MMORPGs. You take 20 seconds to travel from one major town to the next (or 1 second with some teleport system). And if you travel there manually, you get attacked every 2 seconds by some stupid mob.

The most extreme example is Rift, where there are always mobs everywhere around you, constantly. If you'd lie down anywhere, you wouldn't touch the ground, because there'd be half a dozen mobs under you.

That is fun? I thought people want challenges in their games.

Music & graphics? If i want to enjoy that, i watch a movie.

If i wonder what is beyond one hill .. look it up on the web. I don't want to spend 10 min (heck even 5) walking on the same terrain just to find out.

If there is something interesting, pop it up and let's get on with it.

Originally posted by Cecropia

I've experienced the MMORPG "Rift style" mob layout. This is a gaming experience I could have lived without. Talk about a yawnfest.

Huge, when done right, is something that spoils many of us to the point where it is difficult to go back to anything less. The enhancement to the MMORPG experience is undeniable.

Walking 10 min without nothing to do is a yawnfest.

Huge and empty is not interesting to many players. That is why Vanguard is a ghost town. Surely you may like it. You can always fire up Skyrim and walk around. Count me out.

• MiviMivi Member UncommonPosts: 83

the first games you play left the stronger feelings
    "the first love you never forget"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by nariusseldon Originally posted by maji Fallen Earth It's landscape seamless is just huuuge. It got nearly no invisible walls or restrictions of any kind. You can walk to whereever you want to. The landscape looks quite realistic too, and there are some stretches with little stuff to see, which makes it more immersive, than something like Rift, where one quest hub is 10metres away from the next, with the NPCs behaving as if there'd be a hundred miles between them. Also it got a single world and server for all players, which is neat too. Also the viewing distance is great. The stuff just doesn't vanish in fog after 50 metres.
    So you need to walk for ages without seeing anything interesting? I would much rather have something fun to do every 10 meters. Huge does not equate more fun.

My preference seems to change depending on what kind of game I'm playing. If I'm playing Fallout 3, I tend to explore, and try to find what's over the next hill. If I'm playing an MMORPG though, where the game is all about progression, then I'm more interested in getting to to the right location, completing the task and getting back so I can get my numbers.

I would say it depends on what kind of game is being made. Rift is based around character progression, so a very dense world makes a lot of sense. Fallout 3 isn't based around progression, even though it's part of the game, so a large, open world makes sense.

I do think it's possible to have a smaller, dense world like Rift, but still have content that isn't necessary to the player's progression. It doesn't have to be wide open like Fallout 3 or Fallen Earth, just something for players to explore to enhance the feeling of being in a 'world' instead of a 'game'. Though, I would wonder how many people playing Rift would actually want that.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.