Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Guild Wars 2: ArenaNet’s Master Plan for 2013

124»

Comments

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by Methos12
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    WvW is gonna be big in 2014, I tell ya! (just not this year)

I dunno, up until recently, WvW's gotten the most actual features added to it.  Were you hoping for more maps, or something else in the zones though?  But in terms of stuff to do and work towards, WvW's gotten a lot of love in the past several months.

I'm inclined to agree. No idea what exactly people expect in the WvW department that would satisfy them. Some kind of complete 180?

Read the WVW forums. Tons of ideas in the there. The devs don't even have to think them up, just code it.

• archy1985archy1985 Member Posts: 11
    hmm , no raids, no addon friendly , no large epic/heroic dungeons. i pass. k tybb
  • jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

I loved my time in Guild Wars 2, but sadly i got bored after leveling my Engineer to 80 and completing the world map.  I personally do not like the mechanics of WvWvW. I found that I was doing the same old thing, with not much of a reward.  I also found that after I completed the world map, there was not much more to do in the game.  The Dungeons Fractals got old for me too. 

I beleive that GW2 has so much potential, and I would come back to play in a heartbeat if there were some more content that could keep me going. This is certainly not a knock against the game. It is just my personal play style against the rest of the content. Many people love the pvp, WvWvW system. Others love the dungeons and Fractals.  But for me, I got bored too fast. 

I look forward to new content and hopefully new Professions in the future. I hope they add Faction and Reputation systems in the game.  I like building rep with different groups in  the gaming world. I would also like to see more unique Ascended and Legendary gear to have a shot at obtaining. That would be a nice reward for a reputation system in-game. I think Unique gear for crafters would be nice too.  These types of grinds keep people playing MMO's. We need carrots on a stick for us to keep playing, sadly. But the successful games have mastered this method over and over. Plus, these additions do not hurt casual players as the gear appearance is the only reward. 

• Maleus666Maleus666 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Boring game. Left it with 3 or 4 months of play.

Go to hell!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Maquiame
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

If you have something negative to say about this, you might me a madman.

Absolutely amazing job Anet.  

Well, here's an outstanding one:

This game is the exact reason why I will never play a b2p or f2p game again that has no subbing. You get what you pay for, seriously. As someone mentioned the game is as shallow as a kiddy pool. They need a full goddamned expansion and they are doing crap like this. Hell there is still no word on the game housing.

I don't know he's able to type all that after reading the updates list, but I guess he really doesn't care for GW2 in the first place.

I'm getting sick of the "we want expansions!" comment, honestly. The game doesn't need it yet. There's still so much ground to cover on the base game.

I have to disagree, the game is a bit boring for PVE content. Not to mention did you play the GW1 series? and I don't mean one of them I mean all of them. The storyline alone craps on the plastic swiss cheese stories of GW2. Notice that the most people who are complaining here are ones who played the first. If you didn't play the first of course the game is fantastic because there is nothing to compare it to.   Yes the game needs an expansion, something mirroring the expansions of its precursor. Many of us wanted to see what happened in Cantha, Elona and the like, hell I'd even look forward to a story focused on Jormag right now.  These bits and pieces updates while good intentioned are overall lacking depth because they are telling stories that are pretty much fluff. Don't give me a festival with Canthans in it, give me a festival that leads into the Cantha expansion. Give me more Whispers quests that lead into the lore of the Whispers origins in Elona. Give me things that matter to the lore of what was established in the first game. 

Well apart from the fact that part of your criticism could just be impatience, since I'm sure they'll lead the game into the areas you specified in your post, I PLAYED GW1 and DIDN'T like it.  My friend that played GW1 for 6 years loves GW1 and GW2, he didn't get upset about the differences, he just accepted that change can be good.  If a game is released that's just the first one with different skills, that's not a sequel, that's an expansion.

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

If you have something negative to say about this, you might me a madman.

Absolutely amazing job Anet.  

Well, here's an outstanding one:

This game is the exact reason why I will never play a b2p or f2p game again that has no subbing. You get what you pay for, seriously. As someone mentioned the game is as shallow as a kiddy pool. They need a full goddamned expansion and they are doing crap like this. Hell there is still no word on the game housing.

I don't know he's able to type all that after reading the updates list, but I guess he really doesn't care for GW2 in the first place.

I'm getting sick of the "we want expansions!" comment, honestly. The game doesn't need it yet. There's still so much ground to cover on the base game.

I have to disagree, the game is a bit boring for PVE content. Not to mention did you play the GW1 series? and I don't mean one of them I mean all of them. The storyline alone craps on the plastic swiss cheese stories of GW2. Notice that the most people who are complaining here are ones who played the first. If you didn't play the first of course the game is fantastic because there is nothing to compare it to.   Yes the game needs an expansion, something mirroring the expansions of its precursor. Many of us wanted to see what happened in Cantha, Elona and the like, hell I'd even look forward to a story focused on Jormag right now.  These bits and pieces updates while good intentioned are overall lacking depth because they are telling stories that are pretty much fluff. Don't give me a festival with Canthans in it, give me a festival that leads into the Cantha expansion. Give me more Whispers quests that lead into the lore of the Whispers origins in Elona. Give me things that matter to the lore of what was established in the first game.

Want to make the situation of the mists not suck? How about a full paid expansion about Orr's past, you start out through a trip through the mists into Orr during the time that Arah was still prominent. You give the playerbase a taste of the history while providing an area that wasn't ever truly explored in GW1, you get to see important historical figures and even get involved in the politics of the time period.

See my problem isn't that I don't like GW2, its that I appreciated the depth of storytelling that was in GW1 and wish it was there in GW2 instead of the story of the whiny knight and the pretty pretty princess. Its a shame that the story in GW1 took itself a lot more seriously. Not to mention I had to outright applaud Anet with the racial diversity of the game, namely the Krytans (Basically Brazilians), Orrians (Arabians) and the Elonians (three different set of Africans including the merged African American/Ethiopian Sunspears and Istan culture) along with the Canthans (Japanese/Pacific Islander/Greek/Korean Chinese cultures).

The humans in GW1 were a beautiful cornucopia of rl races and to see the Krytans themselves was just absoulutely amazing and commendable, and what did they do with this glorious race of proud people of color, they dumped them into the ocean  and pushed many of them into the countryside (check out the pirates and brigands in many of the areas including the quests with Tybalt, the reason why they are of darker skin more exotic hairstyles like dreadlocks  and many of them have red hair is because they are representative of the original Krytans in GW1, much of the original Krytans were darkskinned with red hair hence Queen Jenna's darker complexion and pseudo African American look too bad Krytans that look like her in their main city are now few and far between with the city being overrun by more "Ascalonian" looking human npcs) in order to toe the party line of "appeasing the new playerbase". A downright shame in my opinion.

I want the old Anet back that trailblazed like this and didn't give a damn about what others think. I want the Anet back that was innovative in its world design and diverse in its humanity, not this current Anet that seems to be full of marshmallow writers too scared to do anything different at all and have reduced the glorious diversity of the first series to basically nothng, completely rewriting the world history in some cases (Now they are saying that Krtya was originated by Orr (who they are also trying to turn European instead of the original Arabian), which was not the case in GW1 where it was explained that Kryta was a colony of Elona take a look at the GW1 wikis for proof of this) or exhibiting disturbing traits that one would never think would have existed amongst the GW1 team.

At one time the human diversity in GW put the human diversity in the Elder Scrolls series to shame. Nowadays, not at all. Its as if they are ashamed of the past they established and are trying to sweep it underneath the proverbial "rug of fitting in" as quickly as possible, and I find that to be a damn shame. For a company that sold more than twice the amount of copies for GW1 that they have sold for GW2 I don't get this approach at all because apparently being yourself sells more and makes better financial sense from a business standpoint. Not to mention GW1 had an overall higher player retention rate uniike GW2. Bottom line is they are making less money with this new approach.

The ultimate sad fact about GW2 vs GW1? While GW2 is a lot more MMO than GW1, GW1 was a lot more RPG.

It just be nice if they would combine the two together you know?

Well if you are keeping up with whats going on it seems as though they are trying to get back into the great story bits from Guild Wars with the Zephyrite, the Crystal Desert, and Glints crystal dragon babies ( i think ). Up until now it felt like episodic stories that were being pushed out once a month but now its starting to make a little sense.

I will agree though that the story in Guild Wars prophecies was great and it got even better with Factions, Night Fall and EoTN.  But i don't think they can tell a story as good as they did in Guild Wars since they don't use missions anymore. That was how you progressed the story. Now its just a quick story update tied to achievement points every 2 weeks. I mean that works for me for now since it seems to be getting back to the good stuff.

I do hope my prediction are correct in that they are going back to the skill system from Guild Wars and allow us to acquire new skills from mobs around Tyria so we can equip them into our weapon slots! Also i wouldn't mind getting a tonic that allowed me to change my casting animations ( for my Mesmer ) to that of the original Mesmer or the original Necromancer animations for my Necro :); I mean they have them for the new dances that were added not to long ago. And making veterans ( or champions ) into the elite skill mobs from Guild Wars would be kinda cool; just give them a little pack to roam with and a colored aura based on their profession with new elite skills!. K i will stop rambling now.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Love the game. Best ever from B2P world. But unfort there are so many others good that not sure when i will return but will for sure. Now playing swtor for months, after one month comes FF reborn, then I would like to return also to Wow for some time, EQN, TESO, Wildstar .... wow ... problem is to find time to play and enjoy so many of them. :-)) Years ago was much easyier ... only really good and polished was Wow and rare few others ... nowadays much more.
  • SuperPanekiSuperPaneki Member Posts: 62
    (Vinegar stroke face on.) No raids? No fun.
  • monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Love the announcement. Assuming they implement it all I think it could be something special. This game has kept me engaged like WoW did. Most mmos I'd be long gone by now. But with 2 legendaries 1400 hours played and rank 40 in wvw, I'm still loving it. I wish they would announce more personal story stuff, which would hopefully lead to more zones opening up. I think the heavy armor folks need a 3rd profession. And I would love to see a battle axe in the game. Maybe more of a reason to enter your personal instance too. Guild halls would be awesome and the guild UI needs work. But dam it if I'm not having a great time in this game. 
  • stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by nennafir

The main problem I see is that they ditched their GW1 base.

We wanted a game without a stupid high-level gear-chasing end-game, but they still want to give it to us.

I don't really know what to say about that except:  No thanks!!!  I have played all of the end-game gear-chasing games that I would like to.

Did you even play GW2 or did you even read this article or the blog post?  GW2 is possibly the least gear dependent game on the market an it takes a few days tops at the level cap to get kitted out with top level gear.  And no where in this article did they say they were turning this into a gear dependent game, in fact Colin said much to the contrary.

How about GW1?

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• BleakmageBleakmage Member UncommonPosts: 186

"Whichever one gets voted in, the other will very likely never be added to the game.  Not only will this content be permanently added and chosen by us, but we’ll also be deciding which one is banished to the potential ether."

I like how in practically one breath they say your vote will matter and then in the next it will will be chosen by them and they'll also be deciding, lol! Dynamic content indeed. . .

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Thank you, easier to get that #¤%& precursor sounds great. I am currently working on my legendary and that is really the hardest part right now (even though I miss plenty of ecto still but that I actually gain a little every day).

But I hope they don't water down the legendary too much so everyone gets one. It kinda takes takes the point out of it.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    So ANET introduces gear grind treadmill via fractals as well as content gating... and now they are replacing it with crafting, like they said they would.... WTF ANET. You are beyond confusing. I really did enjoy the game up until you added ascended gear with RNG determining when you'd be able to actually acquire it. When crafted ascended gear makes it into the game I might just have to pick the game back up. Hopefully my character still exists.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by xpiher
    So ANET introduces gear grind treadmill via fractals as well as content gating... and now they are replacing it with crafting, like they said they would.... WTF ANET. You are beyond confusing. I really did enjoy the game up until you added ascended gear with RNG determining when you'd be able to actually acquire it. When crafted ascended gear makes it into the game I might just have to pick the game back up. Hopefully my character still exists.

Yep, that irritated me too. 

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Good stuff here.

I will come back once solo queues and leaderbords aswell as anti-leaver measures are implemented. I'll stick for longer if WvW gets more content and a real progression. (no player character grind, but true progression and impact of your (team's) actions).