Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Religious and LGBT Guilds, Yay or Nay?

Comments

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by GrumpyJester
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    Originally posted by immodium

What I find unusual is why someone would play a game and think "I need to get my sexual orientation/religious/political views involved somehow"

THIS, why the hell are people bringing their sexual orientation into games, not only is it completely immersion breaking to bring up political and sexual topics, KIDS play these games, keep your sexual desires OUT OF THE GAME and go talk about it on a forum that deals with sex

Why on earth would this be about sex? LGBT could just as easily be explained in terms of who you love. Kids certainly don't need to be protected from this, there's nothing "mature" about it.

You are kidding right? What you find sexually attractive has nothing to do with love. Imagine having a  kid saying "Does that mean I'm gay becuase I love you daddy?" Wouldn't it just confuse the kid more? I'd feel like I've just dug a hole for myself with that explanation.

I do agree there is nothing mature/intelligent about sex though.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

segregation for safety is fine.

as a counterpoint to some of the argumentation here, i could certainly see the space for a children's guild run by parents.

just don't develop a ghetto mindset. that' the danger of not allowing exposure to the world around us.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

If I were allowed to make an all white, heterosexual guild then maybe.

Anything less is sexist, racist or heterophobic.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

once again someone in the absolute majority, a majority which has systematically repressed a group of people for centuries thinks that the same rules apply to them. well they don't. heterophobic would imply the ability to ruin your life, cause you to lose your job, or insist that you cannot marry the person you love, it would include being verbally harrassed for holding hands in public, or at times even physically assaulted. name me the heteros with this experience and we might could talk.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

I don't guild any more, but I do have my own personal philosophy regarding this subject. In a game, I enter it as a character. Sure, my personality presents itself, but it's pretty neutral with regard to my sexual orientation, religion, and political beliefs. The reason is that for me, how I interact with others and play the game has nothing to do with these things, so there's no need to assert my stance with regard to them.

In fact, I think people who DO feel the need to assert their straightness/gayness/religiosity/athiesm/conservative/liberal/etc. stances in a game, generally have some kind of agenda and are looking for a conflict. They go straight to my /ignore list, even if they happen to be on the same side of the arguments as I am.

That stuff just has no place in a game, period.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         Personally.. I don't mind as long as it doesn't become a game issue..   EXCEPT if the religious stuff comes from in game deity, like it was back with EQ.. If you wanted to worship the God of War, or God of Thunder, etc etc, then I actually encourage MORE guilds to run with that and have fun.. 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by aspekx

once again someone in the absolute majority, a majority which has systematically repressed a group of people for centuries thinks that the same rules apply to them. well they don't. heterophobic would imply the ability to ruin your life, cause you to lose your job, or insist that you cannot marry the person you love, it would include being verbally harrassed for holding hands in public, or at times even physically assaulted. name me the heteros with this experience and we might could talk.

Discriminating against people now because they had more rights in the past doesn't make things even. As distasteful as it sounds that type of guild has to have the same rules as any other or it isn't equal rights.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If I were allowed to make an all white, heterosexual guild then maybe.Anything less is sexist, racist or heterophobic.

The odds of any guild being created not being mostly white, heterosexual and probably male is pretty close to zero. Creating a 'white, hetero' guild would be pointless. That already exists. There's no need to try and create a separate space.

I don't think guilds based on race would be allowed in any game. Race is a different can of worms, one that I don't think any developer wants to open. I'm not sure about an all female and all male guild. Again though, all male guilds already exist, there's no need to try and create a separate space for them.

One of the social aspects of guilds is finding people who may share common interests or who may have had the same experiences as the other people in the guild outside of the game. The guild I was in was composed of people who all worked for one company. We shared a common interest. From what I can see, this is the main point of a religious or LBGT guilds. Finding people who share a common interest or experiences when doing so otherwise would be nearly impossible in game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Discriminating against people now because they had more rights in the past doesn't make things even. As distasteful as it sounds that type of guild has to have the same rules as any other or it isn't equal rights.

GLBT guilds do not exclude anyone, they just ask that you be respectful to those in the guild who are of that orientation. Although I suppose that is discriminating against bigots and close minded a-holes.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by evilastro
    respectful to those 

respect goes both ways

if you want to be respected, don't do it by deliberately causing drama in games by dividing people by sexual orientation

respectful to those 

respect goes both ways

if you want to be respected, don't do it by deliberately causing drama in games by dividing people by sexual orientation

I don't ever recall seeing a bunch of gay people mocking heterosexuals in any game I have played. Or causing drama by having a GLBT friendly guild.  Care to share some examples?

respectful to those 

respect goes both ways

I nominate Waterlilly for MMO President..  Keep up the good work in chat..  BTW, if you and like minded players, plan on playing EQN and if that game is any good, send me a note, as I'll come join your guild.. 

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

have played. Or causing drama by having a GLBT friendly guild.  Care to share some examples?

The fact this topic is 15 pages long within 24 hours means it causes drama.

Don't pretend like making a "Gay guild" doesn't cause drama. A "heterosexual" guild would cause drama too.

And as far as examples, there are plenty.

I believe it was WoW where a gay guild was disbanded because it was deemed discriminatory against heterosexuals.

And I have nothing against gay people, but if you want to be treated like an equal, then act like one, and don't join guilds just to be different and cause drama, you know it will cause drama.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by DamonVile

GLBT guilds do not exclude anyone, they just ask that you be respectful to those in the guild who are of that orientation. Although I suppose that is discriminating against bigots and close minded a-holes.

It would be...of course the "funny" part is if you let these people form groups like that, in todays politically correct climate, they'd probably learn what it's like to walk a mile in the people they hates shoes. The avg person would not be very accepting of a guild that was based on hate or discrimination.

I have a rule about stupid names. I think they're a great idea. If the devs force someone to change it I might play with someone for hours before I know they're an idiot. Someone walking around with a name like ipeeinurmouth tells me right away to avoid them. The same thing goes for guilds. If you join a guild that's white/hetero/ect only I know to avoid those people.

What I find unusual is why someone would play a game and think "I need to get my sexual orientation/religious/political views involved somehow"

THIS, why the hell are people bringing their sexual orientation into games, not only is it completely immersion breaking to bring up political and sexual topics, KIDS play these games, keep your sexual desires OUT OF THE GAME and go talk about it on a forum that deals with sex

Not everyone is a role player in character 24/7. I have regular chats with my guildies about RL. If you don't then good for you, but lots of people do, and they don't feel like getting harassed or feel marginalised.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by lizardbones

This article on Massively: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/18/ask-massively-taboo-topics/

talks about the subject of "themed" guilds, in particular, guilds with a religious focus or a LGBT focus. Really, the guild is focused on gaming, but you know what I mean.

It has never occurred to me to be offended or really even care about this type of thing. If people want a guild that's friendly towards a particular religion or orientation, as long as they aren't militant, exclusive based on that religion or orientation and as long as they have good taste in public chat, I don't feel like i need to spend a lot of time thinking about it. Until I read the article.

It seems awhile back that Blizzard was going to ban guilds based on a LBGT charter, but backlash from the world or the gaming community caused them to reverse the decision quickly. This honestly surprises me. Given the nature of WoW's chat channels, I'm kind of surprised they would even consider that stance.

So, what do you think? Do religious guilds ruin your immersion in a game? What about LBGT guilds? Are there even that many guilds that advertise themselves based on a given religion or orientation?

Also, I realize this is a topic that could go south quickly, but in the spirit of conversation, try to avoid talking about specific religions or people, and focus on guilds. If things do go pear shaped, my apologies.

Same as my place of work, we do not discuss Religion or Politics. They fuel wars and only cause problems eventually. Also, in every EULA or TOS I have read those two items have no place in any of the games on the market.  They have political forums and religious places of worship for that kind of thing.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Every single love parade and every single gay parade has people half-naked running in the streets shouting the most obscene stuff.

I don't want to get to deeply into this delicate debate, but all those events in no way represent the vast majority of homosexual people. Those are ridiculous clown parades which have nothing to do with being homosexual. Most homosexual people find those things just as ridiculous as we heterosexual people do.

I think you missed Waterlilly's point.. She didn't say or imply that those clowns are representative of the community.. What I heard is "keep it private" and don't cause attention drama......  Anyways

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

Agreed, though sometimes it might come up through chatting with someone personally I don't see why that should be an issue or topic. Jeesh we always find ways to mess things up. Can't we just enjoy something for the sake of enjoyment.

have played. Or causing drama by having a GLBT friendly guild.  Care to share some examples?

The fact this topic is 15 pages long within 24 hours means it causes drama.

Don't pretend like making a "Gay guild" doesn't cause drama. A "heterosexual" guild would cause drama too.

And as far as examples, there are plenty.

I believe it was WoW where a gay guild was disbanded because it was deemed discriminatory against heterosexuals.

And I have nothing against gay people, but if you want to be treated like an equal, then act like one, and don't join guilds just to be different and cause drama, you know it will cause drama.

As I said earlier, I am in a raid guild that really doesn't care about it and I happily chat to them about my RL, but threads like this only prove why there is a place for guilds like it.  The amount of nonsense being spouted off by various people is ridiculous. Things like 'oh what if kids find out that there are gay people in the world?'. Oh geez, I don't know, maybe they will grow up to be more tolerant people or not commit suicide if they turn out to be gay.  And crap about pride parades? Oh I wonder why we need them when people are still getting killed in various countries around the world for being gay, and there is still a whole bunch of misconception about it being a 'choice'.

The problem is that gay people are not equals, not yet, which is why they need to raise public awareness and surround themselves with communities who are accepting and not xenophobic.

Originally posted by Rydeson
    Every single love parade and every single gay parade has people half-naked running in the streets shouting the most obscene stuff.

I don't want to get to deeply into this delicate debate, but all those events in no way represent the vast majority of homosexual people. Those are ridiculous clown parades which have nothing to do with being homosexual. Most homosexual people find those things just as ridiculous as we heterosexual people do.

I think you missed Waterlilly's point.. She didn't say or imply that those clowns are representative of the community.. What I heard is "keep it private" and don't cause attention drama......  Anyways

You both missed the point that they are keeping it private by creating a community that is accepting of how they were born, so they aren't creating drama in another guild by exposing themselves to those clowns who will create drama about it.

Originally posted by Rydeson

You both missed the point that they are keeping it private by creating a community that is accepting of how they were born, so they aren't creating drama in another guild by exposing themselves to those clowns who will create drama about it.

again.. the point is keep it private.. I don't want the KKK out having parades, or making guilds promoting their BS..  Using the excuse of creating "awareness" is just sugar coating it..  I don't care if there is a GL guild, but do you need to label yourself as "GAY PRIDE" guild tag?  Knowing damn well it's going to draw attention and from the wrong people.... See my point?

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

My rule of thumb is this: If bronies are allowed to congregate, than so is anyone else.

Also of note, an all white, heterosexual guild is commonly referred to as . . . a guild. There's lots of those guilds that happen to be that way without any intention and white, heterosexual, male happens to be the default in video games. So making a guild that's accepting of you is a bit silly.

Most themed guilds are open to everyone who wants to join and is comfortable being there. I would not be okay with a LGBT guild if they did not allow heteros, exclusion is teh badz. So if you want to start an all white, hetero guild, that's totally cool. But you have to make it open to everyone who wants to join - like I said, this is commonly referred to as "a guild".

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Oh please, it has nothing to do with who you love, but everything to do with showing the rest of the world what you're attracted to.

Don't tell me this is about "love", give me a break.

Your sexual orientation has NOTHING to do with MMO. NOTHING, keep that stuff out of my game.

ahh...

so you take what a few people do and then infer that everyone of the same orientation/belief system does the same thing?

So if a few hundred do it then everyone does it?

so, like, when the Klan has a rally then that's indicative of everyone who is white? When a portion of a relgious group decries some segment of society that means everyone of that same belief believes the same way?

I see what you are.

Next time you are in guild chat actually listen to what is being said and you'll see that your sexual orientation can have quite a lot to do with how that group relates. Maybe just not in a way you ever noticed before.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

As I said earlier, I am in a raid guild that really doesn't care about it and I happily chat to them about my RL, but threads like this only prove why there is a place for guilds like it.

Seems to me that threads like this prove games, and many game forums, are right to forbid discussion about religion, politics and sexual orientation in public chat.

I agree! They should form a guild where they can discuss it in private...

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Basicly, nowadays political correctness demands to tolerate a guild that says i.e. "gays only" - but if i'd create a guild saying "no gays", see how fast it would be banned.

Note that this is just an example. I don't have a problem with gay, lesbian or whatever people. I just don't need anyone to rub their orientation into my face when i'm playing a video game to escape just all that crap.

So no, i don't want lesbian/gay/jewish/muslim/whatever-only guilds in the games i play. Take your agenda to where it matters, if at all.

At least in a video game, we should all be the same...there i's enough separation in real life.

This discussion has been closed.