Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Religious and LGBT Guilds, Yay or Nay?

1235715

Comments

  • XthosXthos Columbus, OHPosts: 2,628Member
    Had some stuff like this way back in EQ, and it doesn't bother me.  I am of neither camp, but I do not care if people want to make a guild for cat lovers....As long as they do not do something to disrupt others or spam people with their message and such...Have at it.
  • DauntisDauntis Kansas City, MOPosts: 547Member Uncommon

    I join LGBT guilds just so when I am on a raid I don't have to hear the constant streams of "That's gay!" or "faggot" etc.

    Also these guilds tend to be more accepting and welcoming of everybody regardless of any other factors.

     

    I like to think I am a very tolerant and welcoming person, at least of everyone except them damn Amish... screw those guys, but hey they don't play MMOs or get on the internet ... so they can F right off.

    I would like to give an opinion on this post, but if I agree I will offend people who disagree. While if I disagree my comment will be seen as inflammatory. Either way I will get banned by this site full of the most delicate flowers in online gaming. Ban people for giving honest opinions... beautiful. Unfortunately I still like the articles.

  • DSWBeefDSWBeef phoenix, AZPosts: 791Member
    Its none of the guilds business anyway. I hate seeing guilds advertise "LBGT guild LF more people!" Why is it any of your business what sexual orientation people are. Same with religion.  

    Playing: War Thunder, World of Warcraft, and Grim Dawn
    Waiting on:Everquest Next and The Black Desert

  • AthonoAthono Indianapolis, INPosts: 13Member

    Living in America this is a free country and people have the inherent right to do as they wish so long as in doing so they do not infringe upon the rights of others.

    While I myself would not join one of these guilds, they are free to group with like minded individuals like everyone else. I mean if they have a topic they want to discuss in vent, mumble, guild chat etc. that is fine. I usually only have problems with individuals that feel the need to lord their personal opinion over others in General chat. Those people that do find their way onto my ignore list.

     

  • austriacusaustriacus limaPosts: 624Member
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by issling
    Originally posted by austriacus
    Originally posted by issling
    Originally posted by immodium

    What I find unusual is why someone would play a game and think "I need to get my sexual orientation/religious/political views involved somehow"

    Because if we don't we end up in a guild where they just talk shit about us not even knowing where in the same guild. Have you even thought about that!

    >To you and the other guy who said something similar, are you afraid of who you are? is it so hard to say "please, im (insert group) and what you are saying offends me, i would apreciate if you stop talking like that"

    IF the guild responds in a bad way....well, it wasnt a good guild to begin with.

    Really that's your answer? So I'm afraid of who I am and have to listen to these post once again. I have been listening to this stuff since I was in third grade and I am afraid of who I am nice way to sum us up. 

    I have to agree here. Gamers don't really have a track record for tolerance of other people's views, so that approach would more than likely just make it an uncomfortable environment for more people than just the one who's views are being ridiculed or under fire.

    I'm hoping the  "are you afraid of who you are" thing was simply a passive aggressive poke, and not just total cluelessness on his/her part.

     

     

    English is like my 4th language so i apologise if im not clear all the time, yes you are correct, i didnt mean anything bad by it.

  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    They're gamers like the rest of us, who cares if they want to advertise their faith or orientation?  It's no worse than someone advertising their stupidity by calling their guild YOLO.
  • bubalubabubaluba LjubljanaPosts: 434Member
    First if really really religious people (abrahamic faith) play fantasy mmo's with pagan gods they are not very religious, they are just hypocrites. Second about LGBT, where is the point? Why LGBT comunity have need to put that ''sexuality card'' again somewhere on the table. There is no need for any kind of guild with specific sexual orientation
  • Ansel09Ansel09 Madison, TNPosts: 5Member
    @bubaluba - Read some of the previous replies and you'll get a sense of why people create LGBT friendly guild.
  • bubalubabubaluba LjubljanaPosts: 434Member
    Originally posted by Ansel09
    Read some of the previous replies and you'll get a sense f why people create LGBT friendly guild.

    No i will not. There is no reason for this.Friendly for what?? You have a lot of gay chat rooms all over the internet

  • Ansel09Ansel09 Madison, TNPosts: 5Member
    @bubaluba - Well if you can't take the time to listen to other people's opinion on the matter don't expect people to take yours seriously either.
  • bubalubabubaluba LjubljanaPosts: 434Member
    Originally posted by Dauntis

    I join LGBT guilds just so when I am on a raid I don't have to hear the constant streams of "That's gay!" or "faggot" etc.

    Also these guilds tend to be more accepting and welcoming of everybody regardless of any other factors.

     

    I like to think I am a very tolerant and welcoming person, at least of everyone except them damn Amish... screw those guys, but hey they don't play MMOs or get on the internet ... so they can F right off.

    You are not right in your head if you hate hard working Amish people.

  • DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Originally posted by Ansel09
    Read some of the previous replies and you'll get a sense f why people create LGBT friendly guild.

    No i will not. There is no reason for this.Friendly for what?? You have a lot of gay chat rooms all over the internet

    /facepalm

  • DestaiDestai Detroit, MIPosts: 574Member

    I don't get it - I game with people to enjoy playing the game, not talking about some other cause. Friendships form irrespective of the theme of a guild, and you can discuss anything that's important to you then. Personally, I don't understand the constant need for validation about lifestyles. You're a born again Christian - cool. You don't have to make every personal interaction about the glories of the bible. You're LGBT - not every interaction has to be coloured by that. I believe simply in accepting people and not making a fuss about their lifestyle. 

    That being said, it's a voluntary transaction and that's something I can't argue with.

  • bubalubabubaluba LjubljanaPosts: 434Member
    Originally posted by Ansel09
    @bubaluba - Well if you can't take the time to listen to other people's opinion on the matter don't expect people to take yours seriously either.

    Sexuality have nothing to  do in games. Like we don't know why they do this. So they get another chance for dating each other. And stop with that crap about ''nice good gay people'', that  is not true, you have all kind of people in LGBT comunity and i dare to say that you have more verbal problems in that kind of groups

  • bubalubabubaluba LjubljanaPosts: 434Member
    Originally posted by Destai

    I don't get it - I game with people to enjoy playing the game, not talking about some other cause. Friendships form irrespective of the theme of a guild, and you can discuss anything that's important to you then. Personally, I don't understand the constant need for validation about lifestyles. You're a born again Christian - cool. You don't have to make every personal interaction about the glories of the bible. You're LGBT - not every interaction has to be coloured by that. I believe simply in accepting people and not making a fuss about their lifestyle. 

    That being said, it's a voluntary transaction and that's something I can't argue with.

    Right:)

  • AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,849Member Uncommon
    Guilds are for like-minded people. You see many calls for 21+ for (assumed) maturity or family guilds so you know language must be clean. Religious and orientation aspects should be no different and it may make your play time better to be in an assumed environment you'll enjoy.

    Any issues such as chat channel harrasment or threats if real harm because of these differences would be treated the same by an MMO company regardless, the guild aspect doesn't change that.

    Live and let live.
  • Ansel09Ansel09 Madison, TNPosts: 5Member
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Originally posted by Ansel09
    @bubaluba - Well if you can't take the time to listen to other people's opinion on the matter don't expect people to take yours seriously either.

    Sexuality have nothing to  do in games. Like we don't know why they do this. So they get another chance for dating each other. And stop with that crap about ''nice good gay people'', that  is not true, you have all kind of people in LGBT comunity and i dare to say that you have more verbal problems in that kind of groups

    If you don't mind and reading my previous reply a few pages back you'll see my thoughts in the matter. LGBT guilds aren't there to push any sort of agenda (not saying that some don't, but not the one's I associate with). As I've expressed before I have joined guilds in the past who all feel at liberty of speaking about their personal lives and that's perfectly fine. Though, when I speak about my life and tastes I get the usual response like you just gave as to why I have to put my sexuality in the conversation. I don't speak about anything different than what guild members usual go on about which is their girlfriends, marriages, taste in women and so on, but when I speak about relevant topics since I'm gay it is now some sort of statement. That is why I joined a LGBT friendly guild where I'm at liberty to speak about whatever topic freely without people thinking I'm pushing my agenda just by speaking about my day with my boyfriend. (Also the fact that I'm tired of hearing gay and fag every minute in people's conversations)

  • craftseekercraftseeker kynetonPosts: 844Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Xthos
    Had some stuff like this way back in EQ, and it doesn't bother me.  I am of neither camp, but I do not care if people want to make a guild for cat lovers....As long as they do not do something to disrupt others or spam people with their message and such...Have at it.

    LGBT  fine, christian budhist hindu well OK.  But I have to draw the line at cat lovers, they really should just log off and seek treatment.

  • AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,849Member Uncommon
    Or get a dog. If you do, The Dawgs Society is currently recruiting across many titles.
  • austriacusaustriacus limaPosts: 624Member
    Originally posted by craftseeker
    Originally posted by Xthos
    Had some stuff like this way back in EQ, and it doesn't bother me.  I am of neither camp, but I do not care if people want to make a guild for cat lovers....As long as they do not do something to disrupt others or spam people with their message and such...Have at it.

    LGBT  fine, christian budhist hindu well OK.  But I have to draw the line at cat lovers, they really should just log off and seek treatment.

    What about guilds for cat girl lovers, i hear theres gona be loads of those in FFXIV.

  • GrahorGrahor aaaPosts: 828Member

    I'm all for exclusion guilds. There are classes of people I don't like to communicate with, starting with "stupid". Why should I be forced to be in a tight contact with them? I want to play with people I like, rather than with people that annoy me. Therefore, any guild, no matter how exclusive, has full right to exist.

  • KBishopKBishop tracy, CAPosts: 205Member

    I've always had a bit of a problem with being a part of the LGBT community because of this particular reason. Making a guild exclusively involved with LGBT sounds nice in theory, but is totally counter intuitive. The guild by definition essentially reinforces the idea that being LGBT is in fact different, because this guild is focused entirely on that difference. If the LGBT community wants acceptance by reinforcing that we are equal to straight people, then parading our difference from them is certainly not exactly the best way to go about it.

    in my opinion anyway.

  • GrumpyJesterGrumpyJester AmersfoortPosts: 96Member

    Religious guilds are fine. LGBT guilds are fine. Guilds for people who love Dr. Who are fine. Guilds for people who love cats are fine, etc.

     

     

    Make your guild based on "preference", whether it's religious, sexual or otherwise. Why on earth would we ban that?

     

    Originally posted by KBishop

    I've always had a bit of a problem with being a part of the LGBT community because of this particular reason. Making a guild exclusively involved with LGBT sounds nice in theory, but is totally counter intuitive. The guild by definition essentially reinforces the idea that being LGBT is in fact different, because this guild is focused entirely on that difference. If the LGBT community wants acceptance by reinforcing that we are equal to straight people, then parading our difference from them is certainly not exactly the best way to go about it.

    in my opinion anyway.

    Yep, agreed. Still believe we shouldn't ban LGBT guilds because of this though (not to imply that you do, but since "to ban or not to ban" is the topic of this thread).

  • WaterlilyWaterlily parisPosts: 2,973Member Uncommon

    Why would I care AT ALL if you're gay or transgender.

    I do not care, keep your sexual stuff out of games where kids play.

  • WaterlilyWaterlily parisPosts: 2,973Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by immodium

    What I find unusual is why someone would play a game and think "I need to get my sexual orientation/religious/political views involved somehow"

    THIS, why the hell are people bringing their sexual orientation into games, not only is it completely immersion breaking to bring up political and sexual topics, KIDS play these games, keep your sexual desires OUT OF THE GAME and go talk about it on a forum that deals with sex

This discussion has been closed.