Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End Game - Great Video Summarizing What to Expect

Comments

• simulacrasimulacra Member CommonPosts: 93
    Wow. Not gonna lie.... I'm really, really excited after watching this! Really looks like they are combining the best of classic Final Fantasy and MMOs to create a really fun and challenging experience.
  • PreythanPreythan Member Posts: 66
    Awesome!  August 27th cannot get here any faster!
  • ionxeelionxeel Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Another great vid by that guy. I'm really looking forward to open beta.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    This game is going to be awsome
  • jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by ZizouX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bawIPQlqbK8

Thank you for posting this, especially on THESE boards i think several of the individuals who are so quick to post on the ARR forums (with limited scope/following often) could benefit GREATLY by watching this video to at least get some understanding of what has people excited about this title.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by jskeets916

Thank you for posting this, especially on THESE boards i think several of the individuals who are so quick to post on the ARR forums (with limited scope/following often) could benefit GREATLY by watching this video to at least get some understanding of what has people excited about this title.

I highly recommend people watching ALL of Mr. Happy's videos.  He does an amazing job of summarizing everything and anything in FFXIV.  If anyone wants some basic knowledge on what FFXIV is or is not, definitely check it out.

I do a lot of reading on all things that are FFXIV, because I love the game.  But Mr. Happy is VERY knowledgeable and knows a lot that I didn't even know.... so subscribe to his channel.. It's well worth it.

He's also said that he will be posting in game videos as soon as the NDA is lifted.  I expect it to be lifted during Open beta.

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154

I highly recommend people watching ALL of Mr. Happy's videos.  He does an amazing job of summarizing everything and anything in FFXIV.  If anyone wants some basic knowledge on what FFXIV is or is not, definitely check it out.

I do a lot of reading on all things that are FFXIV, because I love the game.  But Mr. Happy is VERY knowledgeable and knows a lot that I didn't even know.... so subscribe to his channel.. It's well worth it.

He's also said that he will be posting in game videos as soon as the NDA is lifted.  I expect it to be lifted during Open beta.

^ This times 1000

It is surprisingly refreshing to see such a mature and seemingly objective (I mean obviously he's a FF fan creating such videos) coverage of the game, not to mention efficiently thorough.  Well done Mr. Happy

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Thank you OP now there is one problem... games not out...
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

^ This times 1000

It is surprisingly refreshing to see such a mature and seemingly objective (I mean obviously he's a FF fan creating such videos) coverage of the game, not to mention efficiently thorough.  Well done Mr. Happy

Yeah, I've been following his channel for awhile - lots of great information on the game. Another great video here - thanks for the link, OP.

• SephrinxSephrinx Member UncommonPosts: 94

So from what I understand, the endgame will consist of your typical gear treadmill, which isn't much of a big deal. There are a few outdoor world boss type encounters, there is an 8 man raid, and 'hard mode' dungeons, that are supposedly DIFFERENT from the normal dungeons, not just bigger numbers and more fire that the normals. Sounds pretty normal of an MMO.

But what kills me is they are going to try and spoonfeed content via the endgame raids? What the hell kind of shit joke is this? Not having access to the entire raid is just dumb. Sure, it gives the illusion that the game will last longer and there will be 'more to do' when they in actuality making there less stuff to do by putting even more walls into the game and preventing you from accessing the content. I am fairly sure that once you acquire your Relic Weapon which will, take lets say one month, and get your first set of either labyrinth or crystal tower gear, which will probably be acquired during the same time as your Relic Weapon, there will be nothing else to progress until they remove the locks on said raids. Sure, you can get your other classes Relic Weapons and get geared for them, but why? If you are a tank, you are going to want to tank. If you are a healer, you are going to want to heal. I know I'm not going to want to constantly switch roles. Especially with how weak the combat in this game is, tanking is the only thing that makes the battle feel remotely decently paces. I don't know, this entire video pretty much confirmed everything I had originally thought about the game, that it's not going to be very good. 5/10 over all, that's being nice.

Unless they do something to drastically improve the fun-factor in this game, I'm not going to buy it... I would like to, I love the FF series and have always enjoyed them. (Except for any subsequent game following FFX, they all sucked ass, FFX was the last one that was good.) The fact that this is a FF game doesn't mean shit. It could be hello kitty island meets dora the explorer for all I care, labels mean nothing to me. I'm not paying for a label or a name, I'm paying for quality entertainment. I find this game very boring, and the main reason is the terrible combat. It's the king-pin of MMO games and is a huge determining factor as to whether or not the game will succeed in the long run.

imageimageimageimage

Originally posted by ZizouX.

As of June 13, 2013, we grant you permission to disclose information regarding the Beta Test.

The NDA ended over a month ago. http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/6199-Please-Be-Sure-to-Read-this-Before-Participating-in-the-Beta-Test

imageimageimageimage

Originally posted by Sephrinx

blah blah blah

I don't know, this entire video pretty much confirmed everything I had originally thought about the game, that it's not going to be very good. 5/10 over all, that's being nice.

Dude, we get it. You don't like the game. Every one of your posts in this forum is just you saying, over and over again, how you don't like the game. So why don't you go play something else then? Why do you continue to post here? I played GW2 for a whie and was quite disappointed and didn't have fun. Maybe I'll go on the GW2 forums and blab about how much I hate it. Actually I won't because that's lame. 

Repeat after me: "It's not my kind of game. It's my personal opinion that the game is not fun. I believe that I will not enjoy endgame. The combat is not my style. it is not my kind of game, but I'm sure others will like it, as evidenced by the multitude of positive reviews"

You should really stop living in your egocentric world where only your opinion counts and games should be catered to your particular liking. You speak in exaggerated absolutes, as if your viewpoint applies to everyone when it really doesn't. 

As of June 13, 2013, we grant you permission to disclose information regarding the Beta Test.

The NDA ended over a month ago. http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/6199-Please-Be-Sure-to-Read-this-Before-Participating-in-the-Beta-Test

The NDA was only partially lifted. Videos aren't allowed to be posted yet. 

• Thunder073Thunder073 Member UncommonPosts: 108

I kinda agree with Seph.

I was really hoping for more than a gear grind. Sure the epics will be fun to earn, but you can only get one for your "primary" class. With such a rich history of Final Fantasy I'm so very disappointed that there won't be an "Alternate Advancement" style in place. Now i know FF doesn't have AA's but they have something better!

I remember having so much fun leveling up my materia or espers in previous Final Fantasy games (yes i know materia is in the game but its used ONLY for crafting purposes). OMG would it be fun to find/farm/quest/grind to try and find espers or materis and level it up for you character after you hit character level cap. For instance in addition to the normal end game they are providing you would be able to still have something to level up, like espers or materia to help you character grow in power!

To me this sounds amazing. It's not a gear grind or an exp grind. But continual character advancement. I dunno about how you all feel about this but to me it sounds like heaven.

Here's to hoping...

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

You can post screenshots but not videos or sound.  The NDA is only partially lifted. 

I hope you find another game to your liking... plenty out on the market and plenty going to be released soon-ish...

Fun is subjective.  Many more people are having fun in the game... Vast majority of the press coming from experiences in Beta is positive.  WE'll see what happens after release.

Actually, You are VERY LUCKY.  You are 100% sure the game is mediocre at best so that means you don't have to spend your precious time or money playing it.  Don't give it a second thought, move on.... find something you can be passionate about.   Leave us to liking the game... we get it... you don't like it....

I 'm not going to convince you and you certainly arnt' going to convince me.

Originally posted by Thunder073

I kinda agree with Seph.

I was really hoping for more than a gear grind. Sure the epics will be fun to earn, but you can only get one for your "primary" class. With such a rich history of Final Fantasy I'm so very disappointed that there won't be an "Alternate Advancement" style in place. Now i know FF doesn't have AA's but they have something better!

I remember having so much fun leveling up my materia or espers in previous Final Fantasy games (yes i know materia is in the game but its used ONLY for crafting purposes). OMG would it be fun to find/farm/quest/grind to try and find espers or materis and level it up for you character after you hit character level cap. For instance in addition to the normal end game they are providing you would be able to still have something to level up, like espers or materia to help you character grow in power!

To me this sounds amazing. It's not a gear grind or an exp grind. But continual character advancement. I dunno about how you all feel about this but to me it sounds like heaven.

Here's to hoping...

Oh. My. God. 

If they were too add Espers too this game, it would become a thousand times more awesome. Leveling Espers to gain Bonus Stats/abilities?! I would cream my pants. Being able to find and level more Espers would increase the amount of content by magnitudes. Say you are a CNJ and want more another heal/shield spell, and would also to further like to increase your Mind and Piety. What do you do? 

You go out, equip your Carbuncle Esper, and start leveling it. Granting bonuses as long as it's equipped, based on level, as well as new spells. 

Since they don't have any sort of skill tree in this game, Espers almost seem like a "DUH!" idea. In fact, I'm going to add Espers into my review and explain the pros/cons of them. I honestly think this would be an amazing addition to this game. It might even save it... well, I don't know, the combat is pretty bad. 

imageimageimageimage

I kinda agree with Seph.

Here's to hoping...

The focus is on the encounter, not the gear grind. That's how FF games always were. There were big bosses which were quite difficult unless you had the right gear/experience/spells, etc. I personally really like that plan. Make the content very challenging and worth all the effort to get the necessary stats in order to be effective in the encounter. 

well, I don't know, I personally feel the combat is pretty bad. 

Fixed that for you. See what a big difference it makes? Instead of sounding like an entitled, pompous brat, you now sound like a mature person who recognizes that his subjective opinion isn't absolute

But what kills me is they are going to try and spoonfeed content via the endgame raids? What the hell kind of shit joke is this? Not having access to the entire raid is just dumb. Sure, it gives the illusion that the game will last longer and there will be 'more to do' when they in actuality making there less stuff to do by putting even more walls into the game and preventing you from accessing the content.

You're assuming all the content is already there and they are just keeping it from us; I don't see what basis there is for such an assumption. It would be more accurate to say that they have planned to expand on the same raid venues with progressive stages of new content.

I am fairly sure that once you acquire your Relic Weapon which will, take lets say one month, and get your first set of either labyrinth or crystal tower gear, which will probably be acquired during the same time as your Relic Weapon, there will be nothing else to progress until they remove the locks on said raids. Sure, you can get your other classes Relic Weapons and get geared for them, but why? If you are a tank, you are going to want to tank. If you are a healer, you are going to want to heal. I know I'm not going to want to constantly switch roles.

Well, even without leveling the other classes and gearing them out (which I don't mind doing because I find it fun, and I plan to level every class in the game eventually), there will still be 2 styles of healing and 2 styles of tanking, and 5 styles of DPS available. As a healer, I plan to level one healing class, then the other, to see which I prefer - and to get either class raid worthy means leveling at least one completely separate class to at least 26 (not to mention that most hardcore raiders are going to want to level crafting classes to meld their own materia onto their gear, gathering classes to fuel the crafting, and become viable as a substitute in at least one other role given that raid composition can change from week to week, etc.).

Let's say I eventually get relic weapons for those two jobs (the two healing jobs) as well, and go through all the content that is currently available (including the multiple 8 man raids, the two 24 man raids, the primal fights, and the high level FATEs). Well, if I'm not leveling my other classes (which I will be doing a lot of), there are two forms of PvP for me to play, with gear and skill progression lines that are entirely independent of PvE.

It's say I'm not likely to be hurting for things to do for quite some time...

The NDA was *partially* lifted over a month ago, so you can post screenshots, and talk about your experiences as a beta tester - you still cannot post video or audio - that's what was meant.

Edit: NM, looks like the OP beat me to this point.

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

Dear god, why must I wait?!

Quick! Someone crowbar me in the mouth. Coma till mid August! 

Thanks I'm glad you liked my idea!

I am a long time MMO gamer without a home. The main reason is because I don't like hitting max level then doing the gear grind. The reason I ran around the Final Fantasy world's was to purposely engage in fights to keep increasing my stats/espers/materia and overall power. To me, continual character advancement is the best form of "end game."

My favorite games are ones with this type of system in place, like EQ (alternate advancement) DAoC (advancement came in the form of allocating points earned from RvR) even Rift had a nice system in place, but I just didn't care for that game.

Anyways, adding these types of end game mechanics make the world feel not only bigger but you get a sense of accomplishment each time you kill something, quest, farm, gather, etc because you know its going to advance an esper or materia to help you grow strong.

./cry now that I've thought of this idea i REEAALLY want it implemented into the game lol

haha I know what you mean. 

Yeah, I'm level 99. Yeah, I've got the Ultima Weapon. What I don't have? Gold chocobo, Master Comman, Master Magic, Master Summon. I don't have my materia's fully leveld.

-or-

I don't have my Sphere Grid compelted ( never was able to 100% it), I haven't defeated all the monster in the Coliseum, I don't have the best weapons. 

It's those sort of things that can bring meaningful and fun engdame. It's fun, it's almost addicting trying to master the sphere grid or master all the materia. Don't even get me started on training chocobos lol...

Take a look at my thoughts on the game, it's pretty long so prepare yourself, grab a cup of tea it's a pretty lengthy read. I added in the aspect of Espers at the bottom just now too. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/forums/thread/390163/Beta-Impressions-and-other-thoughts.html

imageimageimageimage

I kinda agree with Seph.

Here's to hoping...

I'm pretty sure you can get all the relics if you so desired - the game has no way of determining what your 'primary' class is - that's all on the player's side.

As far as your AA idea - it's a cool one, and I'd love to see more espers in the game. However, I don't think they could work quite like they did in terms of character advancement in previous FF games, and I don't see how it would be possible to balance a game with perpetual progression like that; maybe they could make it something limited like merits were in FFXI?

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    You can get all the relics but can only get them one at a time (can't have 2 relic quests at the same time).
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Incredible video! I can not wait for this game. So excited. 

I've never loved August so much in all my life.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

We need to remember that we only know the husk of what's going to be there.  Not what is in it as a whole.  Any assertions that it will be too small or too big, if it will lack content due to the tiers or if it will be great are therefore flawed.  We could have concerns for sure, but saying it is a negative or positive is pure conjecture.

While it has little to do with this topic, I would like to quote someone I once knew who spoke of the paper clip problem.  When asked to write down what the potential uses for a paperclip were, some did the task dutiful and came up with dozens of things.  Though there were others who asked questions as opposed to making judgments and assertions just based on only what they know.  They asked if they paperclip could be made of any material, if it could be any size or allowed to be twisted into any shape with said new materials.  They exhausted all possibilities before writing on it and wanted to learn everything about the question before passing judgment.

This is a task that some mentors have used in the past to gauge the "intelligence" of their pupils.  Even if they failed, they learned a valuable lesson and their wisdom improved.  Learning and asking questions bare more fruit than coming to conclusions.  If conclusions must be drawn, proper sources and evidence should be provided so that a claim of an educated guess be accepted.  Though guesses as a whole are still opinions.  Facts are only such things as "humans need oxygen to live", or something absolute where there is no case in existence when this is not true (where then we will add "except in this one case" next to said fact).

Though as a whole it seems that they have everything ready and the proper precautions in place for end game content.

:)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.

haha I know what you mean. 

Yeah, I'm level 99. Yeah, I've got the Ultima Weapon. What I don't have? Gold chocobo, Master Comman, Master Magic, Master Summon. I don't have my materia's fully leveld.

-or-

I don't have my Sphere Grid compelted ( never was able to 100% it), I haven't defeated all the monster in the Coliseum, I don't have the best weapons. 

It's those sort of things that can bring meaningful and fun engdame. It's fun, it's almost addicting trying to master the sphere grid or master all the materia. Don't even get me started on training chocobos lol...

Take a look at my thoughts on the game, it's pretty long so prepare yourself, grab a cup of tea it's a pretty lengthy read. I added in the aspect of Espers at the bottom just now too. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/forums/thread/390163/Beta-Impressions-and-other-thoughts.html

Nice read. And thanks for putting in my esper idea! =)

I honestly think if that one idea came into the game, i would play this game for YEARS. Character advancement is really where the game starts imho.