Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Religious and LGBT Guilds, Yay or Nay?

Comments

• Ansel09Ansel09 Member Posts: 5
    I've been playing mmo's for a few years now and I never really liked to associate myself with any sort of specified interest group guilds. I'm gay but never like to bring it up in a game because of the usual hate that follows. Although, as more time passes I just can't feel comfortable anymore with the so called "mature" guilds that keep using the word gay and fag every minute in their conversations. This has brought me to join a LGBT friendly guild that will let me freely express my opinion without worrying about who in the guild is uncomfortable with my sexuality. Though before you bring up what does me being gay have anything pertinent in a game setting, well their hasn't been a guild yet that I've joined where its members do not like discussing their girlfriends, marriages, their taste in women and so on. If I were to bring up my life or tastes, I would just get the usual response as to why should you bring up your sexuality in game. So as you can see it's just a double standard on the usual (straight) gamers mentality. To add to that thought, I never had a problem with guild mates discussing their lives freely but I don't like feeling like walking on eggshells, so to speak, when speaking about my life so they won't feel uncomfortable. LGBT friendly guilds are nothing more than a relaxed environment where people don't have to feel judged for being who they are.
  • isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by immodium

What I find unusual is why someone would play a game and think "I need to get my sexual orientation/religious/political views involved somehow"

Because if we don't we end up in a guild where they just talk shit about us not even knowing where in the same guild. Have you even thought about that!

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    doesn't matter to me if what the guild focuses on, especially if it doesn't affect my gameplay like others said.  If a guild is upfront about their code of conduct or their purpose or whatever up front before recruiting players I think that is good as well.  I remember being in charge of a guild in Warhammer and telling a new member up front; hey we're pretty immature and we say off color stuff in chat all the time. Then one day they wanted me to censor language or comments in chat because what was said, though minor did not agree with their core values and I had to tell them that's not how we operate.  So in the end I think if the GM and guild ads say what their about up front the buyer is aware of what that guild is about :)

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by lizardbones

So, what do you think? Do religious guilds ruin your immersion in a game? What about LBGT guilds?

I don't care.

If someone is in vent and mentions that he is going to see his boyfriend or "she" is going to see her girlfriend or if someone mentions that they can't raid late because they have Church in the morning I expect that a "themed" guild that represents their lifestyle might be fitting.

If people want to get together and not feel stress because they don't need to hide  their life or keep it under wraps then more power to them.

guilds are supposed to be about like minded people who can talk and be themselves. If someone says they need to attend a bat mitvah and that they are a little excited because it reminds them of their bat mitvah I expect they won't want to be grilled by anti-religion folks.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by CommoX

Personally I believe guilds should be themed within the games atmosphere, there's a very broad spectrum to that, but by blocking yourself off into little chunks/groups your just hurting yourself and your group.

Religion - Sure, All praise No'donn! A good number of people can get behind what No'donn is about.

Sexual Orientation - Gundabar's Fabulously Ranged Rangers. Why not, Rangers, ranged weapons, the chance to be epically fabulous, hell, I'm down for lookin down right deadly on a scouting mission.

It highly amuses me when people who don't want to be segregated, looked at as different or sorted into a specific category do it to themselves and then cry foul.

"Dear me, I've cordoned myself behind my differences and can't be bothered to look past them to see that we are all just people who might all enjoy a hobby together."

Personal preference is just that, personal. If your friends/acquaintances can't see past that, it might be time to find some new ones.

Everyone wants to be accepted, but they refuse to accept anyone else.

Boggling

It must be nice to join in any guild you want? Well try and be different In a so called normal guild and have them call everything gay or faggot every other sentence and see how fast you look for other people of your kind! Nice living in your word I bet:( 

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by issling

What I find unusual is why someone would play a game and think "I need to get my sexual orientation/religious/political views involved somehow"

Because if we don't we end up in a guild where they just talk shit about us not even knowing where in the same guild. Have you even thought about that!

>To you and the other guy who said something similar, are you afraid of who you are? is it so hard to say "please, im (insert group) and what you are saying offends me, i would apreciate if you stop talking like that"

IF the guild responds in a bad way....well, it wasnt a good guild to begin with.

Originally posted by austriacus

>To you and the other guy who said something similar, are you afraid of who you are? is it so hard to say "please, im (insert group) and what you are saying offends me, i would apreciate if you stop talking like that"

IF the guild responds in a bad way....well, it wasnt a good guild to begin with.

Really that's your answer? So I'm afraid of who I am and have to listen to these post once again. I have been listening to this stuff since I was in third grade and I am afraid of who I am nice way to sum us up. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

The problem with politicizing your agendas is you subsequently lose any sense of humor.

It gets tiresome as hell, tippy-toeing around the eggshells that people insist on strewing in every path.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Really that's your answer? So I'm afraid of who I am and have to listen to these post once again. I have been listening to this stuff since I was in third grade and I am afraid of who I am nice way to sum us up. 

Then why dont you tell people who you are and that you arent comfortable with them talking like that, its better than listening to them. Make it clear to them, stop listening in silence(thats the kind of thing your post seems to say you are doing).

Originally posted by Icewhite

The problem with politicizing your agendas is you subsequently lose any sense of humor.

It gets tiresome as hell, tippy-toeing around the eggshells that people insist on strewing in every path.

I think the OP's Topic is Troll Bait! There was no agenda on anybody's part other then his or hers. There are different kinds of guides out there and that is all there is to it:) 

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Then find new material to make jokes from?

Seriously there are a plethora of jokes for people that are not white/male/heterosexual. So that would be a great place to start (WMH) one could start testing their humor to see if it broke any eggshells.

Thus, to is why there are these types of guilds. The WMHs don't have to worry about (those that even think about it that is) stepping on eggshells and those in the possibly offended groups don't have to listen to their crap.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Xssiv

I don't think they are trying to impose their views on people in game, they probably just want to hang with like-minded players.

That seems to be the case. It's why they are usually advertised as "[interest]-friendly".

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Then why dont you tell people who you are and that you arent comfortable with them talking like that, its better than listening to them. Make it clear to them, stop listening in silence(thats the kind of thing your post seems to say you are doing).

We do say something but its in people's nature to act this way. That's why we seek out like minded people and then we have to read topics that we are afraid of who we are and can't voice our selves and if we say something it all goes away. Just leave us alone for god sakes. We have no agenda and just want to game like the rest of you.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I have to agree here. Gamers don't really have a track record for tolerance of other people's views, so that approach would more than likely just make it an uncomfortable environment for more people than just the one who's views are being ridiculed or under fire.

I'm hoping the  "are you afraid of who you are" thing was simply a passive aggressive poke, and not just total cluelessness on his/her part.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Its a bit unfair to group those two together as well. LGBT guilds do not exclude heterosexuals, they just ask that they be respectful. Most of my MMO experience has been in EQ1 and EQ2 raiding guilds and no one cared about my sexual orientation, but EQ has always had more mature players in general. Not everyone is as assertive as me though and I can understand the need for people to hang out in an accepting community during their downtime from real life, especially in social games like MMOs which are conductive to chatting. I don't really expect any heterosexuals to understand fully or be able to empathise because you do not have to justify or hide the way you were born on a daily basis. And we all know the internet brings out the inner troll in many people.
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

While I have not myself been a member of one of these, I can definitely understand why they exist. In a similar vein, I can understand why women-only guilds and groups exist. These groups are often an afterthought in gaming communities, sometimes even something negative. The average gamer is expected to be white, male, straight, and an atheist. Little consideration is given for people who do not fit that bill. Jokes about "fags", about rape are commonplace. It's normal to openly deride religion. Some people get tired of such things and want a refuge from them, especially since they may be playing a video game exactly for that reason - to get away from all the garbage.

One may ask, why not simply make a guild where people are mature and behave. That is really not an easy task at all. I've seen some very strange results when such attempts were made. Who defines where the line is? I've been a guild leader, myself, it's very hard to police people to behave; players can get defensive very quickly if you mention that their remarks are inappropriate, comments about being "PC" and lacking a sense of humor are bound to happen. Nor is there any reason for people you want to come to your guild per se: again, everyone has a different idea of what mature behavior is.

This is a simpler method. Openly mark your guild as LGBT-friendly or Christianity-friendly, all others need not apply, and most of the people you don't want will stay very far away from your guild.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127
    Who cares? Honestly, it's their community and their entertainment time. They can choose to use it however they wish. So long as I'm not playing an MMO and being chased by a bible thumper, hey, I'm fully supportive.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Had some stuff like this way back in EQ, and it doesn't bother me.  I am of neither camp, but I do not care if people want to make a guild for cat lovers....As long as they do not do something to disrupt others or spam people with their message and such...Have at it.
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

I join LGBT guilds just so when I am on a raid I don't have to hear the constant streams of "That's gay!" or "faggot" etc.

Also these guilds tend to be more accepting and welcoming of everybody regardless of any other factors.

I like to think I am a very tolerant and welcoming person, at least of everyone except them damn Amish... screw those guys, but hey they don't play MMOs or get on the internet ... so they can F right off.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Its none of the guilds business anyway. I hate seeing guilds advertise "LBGT guild LF more people!" Why is it any of your business what sexual orientation people are. Same with religion.  

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• AthonoAthono Member UncommonPosts: 15

Living in America this is a free country and people have the inherent right to do as they wish so long as in doing so they do not infringe upon the rights of others.

While I myself would not join one of these guilds, they are free to group with like minded individuals like everyone else. I mean if they have a topic they want to discuss in vent, mumble, guild chat etc. that is fine. I usually only have problems with individuals that feel the need to lord their personal opinion over others in General chat. Those people that do find their way onto my ignore list.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I have to agree here. Gamers don't really have a track record for tolerance of other people's views, so that approach would more than likely just make it an uncomfortable environment for more people than just the one who's views are being ridiculed or under fire.

I'm hoping the  "are you afraid of who you are" thing was simply a passive aggressive poke, and not just total cluelessness on his/her part.

English is like my 4th language so i apologise if im not clear all the time, yes you are correct, i didnt mean anything bad by it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    They're gamers like the rest of us, who cares if they want to advertise their faith or orientation?  It's no worse than someone advertising their stupidity by calling their guild YOLO.
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    First if really really religious people (abrahamic faith) play fantasy mmo's with pagan gods they are not very religious, they are just hypocrites. Second about LGBT, where is the point? Why LGBT comunity have need to put that ''sexuality card'' again somewhere on the table. There is no need for any kind of guild with specific sexual orientation
  • Ansel09Ansel09 Member Posts: 5
    @bubaluba - Read some of the previous replies and you'll get a sense of why people create LGBT friendly guild.
This discussion has been closed.