Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Should monsters flee and chain-aggro in EQN?

dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
One of the features of EQ dropped by EQ2 but retained in WoW was that monsters would flee at low life and bring back any additional foe they encountered.  This made every combat potentially dangerous.  Should this feature be brought back?

Comments

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

That was one of the coolest things in EQ1. I remember chain agroing all of Voxs Lair.. Pulled one Ice Giant and ended up pulling all the way to Vox.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Yes on both and I'm hoping for even more AI than that. Makes combat interesting and brings some importance to CC.
  • sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Absolutely, these are things that made combat in EQ a lot more interesting than modern games.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

I would like it if the AI of monsters was tied to specific behavior for that creature.  Some creatures might fight to the death, while others would run and hide or try to get help.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

ANYTHING to improve monster AI would be awesome. I mean for crying out loud your talking about something that the AI in original EverQuest did. How about a bravery/coward system based on number of enemies versus number of allies?  How about attacking tactics like ranged enemies trying to keep distance while looking for higher ground? A morale system where if the leader falls the rest will flee...

Seriously lacking in the NPC AI department entire MMO genre.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    A definate YES! Things like this add danger to the world.
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Most MMORPGs I've played have had fleeing and chain aggro mechanics for some mobs even...WoW.This is a completely different mechanic but related to Tethering which is something that came after EQ where a monster will only flee or chase so far before returning to it's area.

It seems some folk here are confusing the two.Tethering was instituted because the majority complained about whole zone death trains,which could be fun infrequently and accidentally started but grew annoying when constantly abused.

However I would like to see the flee and chain aggro mechanic return but intelligently with looser restrictions than tethering currently gives but not insanely so,but with better AI like a fleeing mob chaian aggroing things that would naturally be it's allies to help but also attracting it's enemies if it runs into them that will try to kill it not the player right away or ever if the player us smart.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    This was in DAoC too. I enjoyed it as it made things harder.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by jdnyc

I would like it if the AI of monsters was tied to specific behavior for that creature.  Some creatures might fight to the death, while others would run and hide or try to get help.

In EQ1, most living creatures would run but undead would fight to the end.  I always thought that made sense as undead don't fear death, though I think that some living creatures should also fight to the end as well.  Golems used to run away at low life in EQ1.. I think they wouldn't fear death being a construct, but they did.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    well golems merely follow their "programing" so to speak it must be programmed to run
  • grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Kezzadrix
    Originally posted by jdnyc

In EQ1, most living creatures would run but undead would fight to the end.  I always thought that made sense as undead don't fear death, though I think that some living creatures should also fight to the end as well.  Golems used to run away at low life in EQ1.. I think they wouldn't fear death being a construct, but they did.

There were/are exceptions to these "rules".  Specters, for instance flee, and several boss mobs wouldn't.  EQ also has a mechanic where a monster won't flee if it thinks it is going to kill it's target before it dies.  Commonly known as "Kill agro" .  Kill agro would cause all the monsters in an encounter to jump a character who fell below a certain HP bar (maybe 15%?).  More realistic (i.e harder), AI is better to me.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

HELL YES!

Some of my best/worst memories were in EQ with this.  Raiding in Chardok, and you get about 70-100 adds if you let stuff get away in the wrong place.....Leveling in dungeons and you get a army of gnolls or something else on the war path...

If it is going to be a over instanced, I don't care, because I have already lost a lot of enthusiasm for it at that point.

• mjr727mjr727 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    98% 'Yes' - wow.  Definitely a lot of true old school fans roaming around here :)
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Playing FF14 and one thing I hate is the short leash mobs have. You walk 3 feet away and mobs reset. Its removed the risk of the game and I never feel like I have a danger when fighting any group of mobs.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

Would I like it?  Yes.

Do I expect it to be there?  No

If it is in there how long before they take it out or heavily limit it?  Six months at most.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by nilden

ANYTHING to improve monster AI would be awesome. I mean for crying out loud your talking about something that the AI in original EverQuest did. How about a bravery/coward system based on number of enemies versus number of allies?  How about attacking tactics like ranged enemies trying to keep distance while looking for higher ground? A morale system where if the leader falls the rest will flee...

Seriously lacking in the NPC AI department entire MMO genre.

Great ideas. Add ambushes, stealth, traps, changing tactics, flying creatures that fly out of melee range and divebomb. EQ was great with fleeing mobs. A simple attack on outnumbered foe could quickly turn into a battle for you lives if one snare/root was resisted/failed. The resulting train would make taunt/tank not work and everyone would be attacked. If lucky, you rally, protect the cleric and if he was good, he would keep everyone alive, but most almost out of hp. Fun fight. If unlucky, wipe. Still a fun fight.

• AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by dandurin
    One of the features of EQ dropped by EQ2 but retained in WoW was that monsters would flee at low life and bring back any additional foe they encountered.  This made every combat potentially dangerous.  Should this feature be brought back?

Absolutely, I loved this feature in Darkfall(I don't remember ever seeing it in WoW though). This makes the in-game AI feel much more lifelike. Maybe even some NPC's could do things like beg for mercy if facing certain death? I could see this being very possible considering the capabilities of Storybricks.

The only thing I hope is that they can get the combat right to couple this design with. I wouldn't want a boring auto-attack system where I mindlessly trade blows with the enemy and then they decide to awkwardly sheath their weapon and run away. I feel this system would feel much more natural with a combat system akin to Darkfall or Skyrim.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Playing FF14 and one thing I hate is the short leash mobs have. You walk 3 feet away and mobs reset. Its removed the risk of the game and I never feel like I have a danger when fighting any group of mobs.

EQ mobs would chase you from one end of the zone to the next. If you didn't have a speed boost, they would catch you. Many times you would get caught feet from the zone and stunned, beat down. Many times you would zone in and find one or many corpses by the zone line that didn't quite make it. Or zone into a dungeon to find 20-30 corpses from a train, or worse the train mobs would still be there waiting for some one pop in. I don't know why, but these mechanics made the game more exciting. It sucked you would lose xp and have to run for miles to get back with no armor or weapons, but it always made me laugh.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Hoping for an evolutionary jump in AI with Storybricks on board. If mobs flee they need to make it manageable with control skills. Nothing more frustrating than fleeing mobs with no way to stop them. Got stuck in one spot in WoW for nearly half an hour thanks to that on my priest.
    Originally posted by ropenice

EQ mobs would chase you from one end of the zone to the next. If you didn't have a speed boost, they would catch you. Many times you would get caught feet from the zone and stunned, beat down. Many times you would zone in and find one or many corpses by the zone line that didn't quite make it. Or zone into a dungeon to find 20-30 corpses from a train, or worse the train mobs would still be there waiting for some one pop in. I don't know why, but these mechanics made the game more exciting. It sucked you would lose xp and have to run for miles to get back with no armor or weapons, but it always made me laugh.

My fav was when you would get beat to a inch of your life and zone on the other side alive and made it to find a train at the zone on the other side only to die there. lol

My fav was when you would get beat to a inch of your life and zone on the other side alive and made it to find a train at the zone on the other side only to die there. lol

hehe, Yeah, imo The little things like that in EQ made it feel like a real place-darkness mattered, having food/water, dangerous travels, etc.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

I voted "No" BUT some mobs I think should.

Mobs with low intelligences (animals, certain humanoids, anything with no or limited intelligence)

Mobs that would have normal or above average intelligence then yes I think they should (goblins, humans, dragons, ect)

Sometimes I just think it doesn't make sense

hehe, Yeah, imo The little things like that in EQ made it feel like a real place-darkness mattered, having food/water, dangerous travels, etc.

PvE should not feel safe. 

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256
    /ooc train to zone!11wwwwwwwwwwwww
    Blackburrow - "It's a Gnooooooooolll train!!" Had that keyed up to warn people when the inevitable gnoll train happened. For the youngsters, it's a reference to the intro to an R&B music dance show in the 70's and 80's. Man I'm old.