Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need some book recommendations

DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Fantasy/Sci-Fi?  Non-mystery, non-majorly romantic.  Action/adventure is great.

Ive read wheel of time, dragonlance, wicked, ender's game, apprentice adept series, kil-o-bye, xanth...ect..

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

Comments

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Speaker for the dead and the following books are excellent reads, I thoroughly recommend them since you are already thinking about it. Alternatively, there is also Ender's Shadow, the first of an alternative series focusing on Bean, the only other kid that might have been talented enough to replace Wiggin.

Also by Orson S Card, the Alvin Maker series, fantasy. Setting is an alternative version of early 1800's America. (Washington was executed for treason, portion of the colonies are still under British control, most people have some minor supernatural ability or "knack", etc.) Protagonist is a young man with an unusually strong ability to shape the world around him.

When looking for traditional fantasy, Tolkien's work is a fairly obvious choice. I would however suggest leaving the Silmarillion alone, at least to begin with. It is interesting in its own way, but is written more as a history book than a tale.

Anne McCaffrey's Dragons of Pern series is quite good, science fiction. Basic premise is that colonists to a new planet genetically adapt local flying reptiles to help deal with a nasty recurring threat. Most of the books occur multiple generations after landing, with the tech level having mostly regressed to a bit above medieval era.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• alstreamalstream Member Posts: 14
    I recomendet  'The painted man' . That's whole saga so you can read this really long
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Robin Hobb: The Farseer Trilogy http://robinhobb.com/novels/assassins-apprentice/

Tad Williams, start with: The Dragonbone Chair and read all other books http://www.tadwilliams.com/

Brent Weeks: forget about Drizz lol http://www.brentweeks.com/

Raymond E Feist: start with Magcian and read all http://www.crydee.com/

To be honest i've read 100's including Game Of Thrones and Elric Of Maliborne plus many more.

I can point you to many more that are not so well know but are epic, all fantasy and SF.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi.   Outstanding world building, and plot that builds very nicely from book to book.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Dungeons and Dragons' Player Manual, by Wizards of the Coast.

You might also like Dungeons and Dragons' Dungeon Masters Guide.

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

Run (don't walk) and read Joe Abercrombie's "The First Law" trilogy.  It's so ridiculously good!

The "Dark Angel" trilogy by Brent Weeks is also great.

George R.R. Martin's books are great too - not so much "romance," but quite a bit of sex. 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Buy the A Song of Ice and Fire set by  George R. R. Martin

• VemoiVemoi Member Posts: 1,546
    Originally posted by alstream
    I recomendet  'The painted man' . That's whole saga so you can read this really long

I think this is the same as The Warded Man...pretty good. 

My recent favorite is The Passage. Sci/Fi vampire trilogy. (last book isn't out yet)

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

I've been reading a fantasy trilogy called The First Law. It has some magic but not much, so in that respect it's on the opposite end of the spectrum compared to high fantasy books, you could say it's similar to Game of Thrones in that regard.

It will draw you in right from the start, the first chapter is called the 'The End' which gave me a chuckle. I'm on the last book now, it's good reading.

If you're after Sci-Fi, the Night's Dawn trilogy. Awesome series.

O_o o_O

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    David Eddings "The Belgariad", a 5 vol series, also the followup "The Malloreon" or what it was called.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I spent a long long time searching for a good book recently and ended up settling for a lot of cheap crappy novels that got me through the weeks but rarely kept me very interested.

Luckily I've stumbled upon two really good books back to back recently that I can recommend. The best of the two is called The Cowboy and the Cossack by Clair Huffaker. It's about a group of cowboys in the late 1880s who are hired to ship a herd of cattle to Russia and then drive them far north to Siberia. Due to the dangerous terrain, wildlife, and murderous tribes that are in their path they have to team up with a group of Cossacks which are sort of like Russian Samurai to get them safely to their destination. I'm actually very surprised this wasn't made into a movie and think it would make a really excellent one.

The second book, which I'm reading now, is called The Corpse Reader. It's written by Antonio Garrido and is about a teen/young man living in Imperial China during the 1200s who is really good at reading dead bodies for signs of how they died and who might of killed them in a Monk/Shawn Spencer kind of way. It kind of reminds me of The Name of the Wind series in a lot of ways if you enjoyed those 2 books.

Now neither are Sci-Fi or "Fantasy" novels, but both are really good adventure stories set in foreign places during times that we rarely read about. Most importantly, both are available as Kindle Books for a low price.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Any of the books by James White or Terry Pratchett are worth reading.
  • AtlasGravesAtlasGraves Member UncommonPosts: 16

I thought Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Neil Gaiman was good along with American Gods.

If you never have you must check out

1984 by George Orwell

A brave new world - Aldus Huxley

• 5Luck5Luck Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Originally posted by Elikal
    David Eddings "The Belgariad", a 5 vol series, also the followup "The Malloreon" or what it was called.

The will and the word still caries with me 20 years later

also

Tales from earthsea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_Earthsea

Also the dark tower series by Stephen king is very "fantasy" considering the author many would be surprised!

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

Just finished Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy.  Was pretty good!   Onto her next trilogy now. 

Next up is Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" and then more by Joe Abercrombie.

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226
    The Myth of Sisyphus is good for getting some solid light reading in.

• Enkindu2Enkindu2 Member Posts: 26

Frank Herbert- Dune series

Robert Heinlein- Starship Troopers, Stranger in a Strange Land, Time Enough for Love... pretty much anything

Dan Simmons- Hyperion series, The Terror

Jack Campbell- Lost Fleet series

Robert Charles Wilson- Spin

Peter F. Hamilton- Judas Unchained series

Alastair Reynolds- Revelation Space

Larry Niven- Ringworld

Joe Haldeman- The Forever War, The Accidental Time Machine

Stephen King- The Stand

David Brin- The Postman

Arthur C. Clarke- Childhood's End

Mary Doria Russel- The Sparrow

Just a few off the top of my head :)

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

Dissolving Illusions
    us$19
    This book is a conceptual overview of the accurate history of vaccines and real outcomes from the inception of vaccines.

i.e. sv40