Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Poll) FRR is taking players from GW2?

Comments

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by simulacra
     DAOC did indeed have zergs, but the primary difference between the two is that WvW is mainly geared toward casuals. In fact GW2 in general is for casuals. The skill cap is very low. So if you have zerg vs zerg, the one with more players will undoubtably prevail. DAOC was different because of the higher skillcap. I played in a guild called KoS and we excelled in roaming as small groups and taking out zergs/capping keeps without the need for a zerg. Since the skill cap in GW2 is so low, you essentially need a zerg. And I got really tired of being outmanned constantly (I played on Sanctum of Rall and we would always lose due to higher number of players on the other side). And I was in one of the best WvW guilds too, a guild that also played DAOC, and many members complain about the lame PVP in the game but there's nothing else to play. Many are hoping Camelot Unchained changes that and brings back competitive PVP gameplay.

TLDR: zergs aren't the problem, the need for zerging is due to low skillcap

I see so you did good in daoc= game is good, got wooped in gw2=game is bad.  

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I will not play a subbed game as long as there are so many good and free to play games available... i will have to wayt till it goes F2p

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by bcbully

I get them trying to patch every couple weeks, but for someone like me who left the game due to lack of interest, that download is a real roadblock to my spur of the moment, impulse play. 

Understandable, but doesn't this apply to every MMO when you miss out on a few patches? 

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Wait till a few months after FRR is released or when it actually launches.  FRR is in beta and many will be playing it and are hyped for it as it is the new shiney.  The real test would be EQN imo. 

FRR is after all a P2P model while many will praise the game when push comes to shove the question will be who will actually follow through especially with EQN, Wildstar, and ESO around the corner.  Overall I would say GW2 will see a significant dip in activity just because there are so many quality MMOs coming out  2013 seemed to have a crappy release of MMOs while 2014 there is a lot going for it in terms of MMOs.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    I will not play a subbed game as long as there are so many good and free to play games available... i will have to wayt till it goes F2p

I'm kinda the same.  Why pay a sub for a theme park?  That's so 2005 :)   I will wait til FF goes f2p then I will play it along side GW2.  If it doesn't go f2p, then I play other games along side GW2 instead.  No game can take me away from GW2 becuase it's bought and paid for and I will always have it.  Not really rocket science.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Answer is no for me, in case you wanted to see me say that in a post. Which I know you do. Which is why I did. Laters. <3
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

i played GW2 mainly for the PVP. The PVE was a complete JOKE. So ridiculously easy that it was just not fun for me. As for the PVP in GW2, WvW was fun at first but then I realized it's just a zergfest. Plus it takes forever to run anywhere because the battlegrounds are so damn big even with swiftness (but I played a mesmer, which was the slowest class). Then theres sPVP which I really enjoyed, but ArenaNet took way too long to make any changes to sPVP. The only thing I could do was do 2 team quick tournys since nobody ever did anything else. There was no incentive for guilds to do sPVP at all, so it just turned into a casual thing with no actual ladder. In addition, the combat got very stale with the limited skills per character and the need to play metabuilds to actually be effective. 

I'm really looking forward to FFXIV for the PVE mainly, which already at level 20 seems more challenging than GW2 endgame, abut if the PVP is good, I'll be a very happy man. 

Even the famed DAoC had zergs, but over time guilds learned to deal with zergs =-) I miss DAoC. If you have not played in a while you may want to do some WvW again. Guilds are really starting to work together. Defending more as well. I log in at peek times and Q up for WvW and play 1-2hr here and there. Its gotten a lot better and they have done some nice updates to WvW. I also was not a fan of their sPvP service.

The way I came to understand zergs, is that the only way to get rid of zergs in a Video Game is to not have any sort of Massive Multiplayer activities in the game what so ever, just limited number'd battlegrounds can ony stop a zerg from zerging but then again 5 people can zerg as well ha ha.

Cause I can't think of any war, massive battles, that did not have zergs in rl and in videogames, now with guns, yea not many zergs ha ha.

DAOC did indeed have zergs, but the primary difference between the two is that WvW is mainly geared toward casuals. In fact GW2 in general is for casuals. The skill cap is very low. So if you have zerg vs zerg, the one with more players will undoubtably prevail. DAOC was different because of the higher skillcap. I played in a guild called KoS and we excelled in roaming as small groups and taking out zergs/capping keeps without the need for a zerg. Since the skill cap in GW2 is so low, you essentially need a zerg. And I got really tired of being outmanned constantly (I played on Sanctum of Rall and we would always lose due to higher number of players on the other side). And I was in one of the best WvW guilds too, a guild that also played DAOC, and many members complain about the lame PVP in the game but there's nothing else to play. Many are hoping Camelot Unchained changes that and brings back competitive PVP gameplay.

Okay now this response I like much more, spite it bein an opinion as well, cause I can  for a fact tell you had the opposite experience, playing for sanctum of rall as well, our guild had squads that split up and did different things, without a need of a zerg. Though I will say this, had you told me this before WvW improvements, I'd have to say IMO, your are indeed right. See cause here is the thing, MMORPGs improve, my point being is that no game that does stuff like GW2..DAOC, will avoid a "zergfest." It'll never happen, there will never be a day where someone has not experienced a zerg or zerg fest especially in a well populated game.

Even with a reason not to be in a zerg. Even when you can do this in a sandbox setting(ArchAge has zergs), organized zergs and random ones are subjective, no matter what any one says, cause of the experiences.

So I find statements like "I didn't like such and such because it's a zergfest." not needed, why? Cause if FRR PVP has a lot of players there will be zergs, and depending on who ever stated zergfest as their issues...pride, he or she will need to just understand that avoiding zergfests in highly populated PVP games, is not possible.

I did read up on Unchained, from what they are doing, it sounds good when I read it, yet in still I know there will be zergs and people who don't like the game, claiming the game is a zergfest, in fact many will state it just because it's mainly focused on pvp, even if it's not true. I do wish I got to experience DAOC RVR myself, mainly what i do is look at videos and old posts and etc to get an idea.

Personally the game was not my style in terms of gameplay and payment model ha ha. So I do must ask, why oor what about Guild Wars 2 make it have a low skill cap, is it cause you didn't like the game or for a fact it has a low skillcap,  was it the weapons being limited, was it the fact that at first  there where no wvw lvls and skill perks, cause to me strategy and skill right now been helping in WvW, at first I ran with zergs but found it much more better to work in smaller organized teams ranging from 10-20 people(who do split up to take on certain things). 

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• NeutorNeutor Member Posts: 101

OH!!!!  Hold on a second.  While I don't log into GW2 anymore that doesn't mean that members of our guild doesn't.  It is true that many of the ones that were well known in the GW2 community have quit the game, there are others that carry on and play on an almost daily basis.  As for FFXIV; there isn't a lot of us that will even be playing FFXIV.  In fact, that number is so few we don't even know if we will create a chapter of DnT in FFXIV at this time.  Almost all of our player base is waiting on Wildstar.  Please don't take my post out of context.  Yes, I quit GW2 after playing FFXIV, but the guild as a whole (while most have quit GW2) did not quit it to play FFXIV.

Sorry if there were any confusion with that post

Join us dtguilds.com
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I stopped playing GW2 when I fought the first dragon and seen how much a waste gamers are with their scripted MMOs and how non-entertaining the game was. I will be playing FFXIV because it is a MMORPG, we haven't seen one of those in about 5yrs now. No action adventure games online are not MMO!!!!
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

It's the new shiny right now.

I'm sure Tera, KotOR, GW2, TSW, all cost some game a month or two of player base. It's still too early to say if FF14 will make a lasting mark on the Genre or if it will be just another fad game.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    I stopped playing GW2 when I fought the first dragon and seen how much a waste gamers are with their scripted MMOs and how non-entertaining the game was. I will be playing FFXIV because it is a MMORPG, we haven't seen one of those in about 5yrs now. No action adventure games online are not MMO!!!!

That was the first time I quit GW2 as well, after experiencing my first dragon fight (the Sunless or whatever.)

It was so lame, so unlike what I was expecting...

And then when I was told to go to a website outside of the game to find a group... umm no thanks. I quit (thus far) for good.

I sold my gaming PC so I doubt I'll be back for quite a while...

However, GW2 players who still play usually still love whatever aspect of GW2.

Props to them.

Will they leave to play another game? No.

Will they ALSO play other games along side GW2 when they come out?

I'm sure many will.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Dietengu
    I will not leave GW2 for a game that must travel the whole map to deliver 10 rats to npc or make 3 coffees until cast my auto attack..but for sure i will play Teso,Wildstar,EQN

That will also have fetch and deliver quests.  ARR has plenty of fast travel options so your argument is a mute point.

Cast auto attack? Exaggerate much?

Back to OP though, GW2 is a casual game and easily able to drop and pick up for those that enjoy the game, you could drop GW2 for a whole year and not really get left behind.  I don't really see casual gamers leaving it to play other MMO's that require a bit of commitment, although ARR has some attraction to the casual player, those casual's will soon feel slightly demoralised if they don't keep up with the content which is said in a recent interview that updates will be applied 4 times a year, and can see those casual's dropping back to other games.  

The dev has said that they will turn down the difficulty for casual's at a later date but would like to keep current content to be challenging for the hardcore players at first.  I left GW2 back last November after the halloween event, I felt this empty shell once I reached level cap, the graphics were great the levelling was fun but the end content was questionable.  RNG was very off putting.

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451

The games are for 2 different sets of people really.

GW2's PVP will probably be tons better then XIV's simply because of how jobs are setup and how the battle system is.

The problem with GW2 is honestly I feel it had one of the worst PVE experiances and progression models of any mmo ever developed. I am not a pvp person so that game lasted about 2weeks and it got uninstalled. Only mmo that was worse pve wise was XIV 1.0 before yoshida added endgame and such... after that even xiv 1.23 beat out guildwars pve wise. Personal opinion of course... but I felt GW2 was the most overhyped piece of crap ever released.

The people who are still playing GW2 currently will probably continue play it for the pvp aspect I feel. The ones who stoped logging into it like me will be ones that are stold away. (Although we are not really even countable players anymore to begin with)

• simulacrasimulacra Member CommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by DaezAster

Not sure how you got that from what I said. I didn't get wooped. It was quite the opposite. It's a very easy game. As for my server only being #2 or #3 instead of #1, that was because of lower turnout than the #1 server, like I said. 

• KorzeamKorzeam Member UncommonPosts: 15
    The two games are totally opposites, so I don't see players leaving Gw2 FOR ff14.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    All games "take" from other games.
  • simulacrasimulacra Member CommonPosts: 93

i played GW2 mainly for the PVP. The PVE was a complete JOKE. So ridiculously easy that it was just not fun for me. As for the PVP in GW2, WvW was fun at first but then I realized it's just a zergfest. Plus it takes forever to run anywhere because the battlegrounds are so damn big even with swiftness (but I played a mesmer, which was the slowest class). Then theres sPVP which I really enjoyed, but ArenaNet took way too long to make any changes to sPVP. The only thing I could do was do 2 team quick tournys since nobody ever did anything else. There was no incentive for guilds to do sPVP at all, so it just turned into a casual thing with no actual ladder. In addition, the combat got very stale with the limited skills per character and the need to play metabuilds to actually be effective. 

I'm really looking forward to FFXIV for the PVE mainly, which already at level 20 seems more challenging than GW2 endgame, abut if the PVP is good, I'll be a very happy man. 

Even the famed DAoC had zergs, but over time guilds learned to deal with zergs =-) I miss DAoC. If you have not played in a while you may want to do some WvW again. Guilds are really starting to work together. Defending more as well. I log in at peek times and Q up for WvW and play 1-2hr here and there. Its gotten a lot better and they have done some nice updates to WvW. I also was not a fan of their sPvP service.

The way I came to understand zergs, is that the only way to get rid of zergs in a Video Game is to not have any sort of Massive Multiplayer activities in the game what so ever, just limited number'd battlegrounds can ony stop a zerg from zerging but then again 5 people can zerg as well ha ha.

Cause I can't think of any war, massive battles, that did not have zergs in rl and in videogames, now with guns, yea not many zergs ha ha.

Okay now this response I like much more, spite it bein an opinion as well, cause I can  for a fact tell you had the opposite experience, playing for sanctum of rall as well, our guild had squads that split up and did different things, without a need of a zerg. Though I will say this, had you told me this before WvW improvements, I'd have to say IMO, your are indeed right. See cause here is the thing, MMORPGs improve, my point being is that no game that does stuff like GW2..DAOC, will avoid a "zergfest." It'll never happen, there will never be a day where someone has not experienced a zerg or zerg fest especially in a well populated game.

Ah, IC. Well maybe there have been recent changes to WvW that I'm unaware of. I last played the game around March/April 

Even with a reason not to be in a zerg. Even when you can do this in a sandbox setting(ArchAge has zergs), organized zergs and random ones are subjective, no matter what any one says, cause of the experiences.

So I find statements like "I didn't like such and such because it's a zergfest." not needed, why? Cause if FRR PVP has a lot of players there will be zergs, and depending on who ever stated zergfest as their issues...pride, he or she will need to just understand that avoiding zergfests in highly populated PVP games, is not possible

Indeed it very well could be the case that FFIV won't have good PVP, zergfests, or what have you, but the game isn't marketing itself as a PVP e-sport like game, which is what GW2 did. The only reason I focused so much on GW2's pvp is because the PVE is very lame and easy. It seems that FFXIV's PVE will be quite challenging from what I've seen, which is the hallmark of FF games anyway, so the PVP is a non-issue for me. If I want challenging PVP I'll play Counterstrike :)

I did read up on Unchained, from what they are doing, it sounds good when I read it, yet in still I know there will be zergs and people who don't like the game, claiming the game is a zergfest, in fact many will state it just because it's mainly focused on pvp, even if it's not true. I do wish I got to experience DAOC RVR myself, mainly what i do is look at videos and old posts and etc to get an idea.

Personally the game was not my style in terms of gameplay and payment model ha ha. So I do must ask, why oor what about Guild Wars 2 make it have a low skill cap, is it cause you didn't like the game or for a fact it has a low skillcap,  was it the weapons being limited, was it the fact that at first  there where no wvw lvls and skill perks, cause to me strategy and skill right now been helping in WvW, at first I ran with zergs but found it much more better to work in smaller organized teams ranging from 10-20 people(who do split up to take on certain things). 

Yes the low skill cap in GW2 is primarily that there are so few skills for each player (5 skills, 2 weapons = 10 skills total, plus perhaps a couple utilities), and how they tried to make each class very similar and self-sufficient in order to get rid of the trinity. It wasn't a bad idea, but the limited number of skills really lowers the skill cap. The downed state is another really annoying part of the game for me, but that's just my personal opinion. 

I also want to mention that the payment model of FFXIV is specifically because it will be a PVE focused game. This means that there will be constant content updates (dungeons, zones, etc). GW2's payment model works for the kind of game that it is. It doesn't have that much of PVE content in endgame and people enjoy the WvW/sPVP, but FFX14 will have more of a focus on endgame PVE content, which requires more development hours, thus requiring more cost. it's the same approach that Blizzard had with WoW and SE with FFXI.  A game like DAOC today would probably be B2P or F2P. 

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Not interested in FF XIV.  For me GW2 is the superior game. I will not be jumping ship to pay a monthly sub for a game that I consider inferior. 
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    GW2 never really felt right to me.
  • derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265

Honestly I thought I wouldn't like going back to the holy trinity. But boy was I wrong. Lol

I find ARR to be the best MMO I've played in a long long time. (Based on what I've experienced in beta so far. Keep in mind this is my personal opinion.)

I'm super excited for Phase 4 of the beta test, I'll still play Guild Wars 2 from time to time. But more often these days I log into Guild Wars for the new update, and find myself impressed by the visuals rather than any of the events and jumping puzzles they add in.

But still, Guild Wars is going to be my go to game for some instant action. When I have a good amount of time on my hands to dungeon around with my buddies, I'll be booting up FFXIV as my main MMO.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Funny, because I like subclasses from FF11, but no, with ARR, I will not leave GW2.

I will consider leaving GW2, or at least splitting my time, for W*.  That would be a much more interesting game for you to poll, but it is still a ways away.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by DaezAster

Not sure how you got that from what I said. I didn't get wooped. It was quite the opposite. It's a very easy game. As for my server only being #2 or #3 instead of #1, that was because of lower turnout than the #1 server, like I said. 

I play on blackgate and we face sor everyday as well as jq. wvw has a player cap and all 3 servers have plenty of wvw players. But you chalk up your loses to being outnumbered. Last night sor was kicking but we tried to take there keep but they were well fortified and had us outnumbered, commander comes up with a smart move when we see jq moving in as well. We cut off there wp in while jq fought for the keep, keeping sor players from getting in the zone to reinforce, then moved in and took the keep from jq. 3 zergs good strategy won the day. We were outnumbered and facing a fortified sor but were able to take the keep in the long run through good strategy.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I will play FFXIV for a month atleast and then back to whatever MMO suits me. Where do i fit in this poll? 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• thyraventhyraven Member UncommonPosts: 59
    I play GW2 right now mostly for my PvP fix =-) If FF has a wicked PvP system when they add it, I may drop GW2 all together. If it does not, I will play FF for PvE and GW2 for PvP as it costs me nothing to do so. I like their B2P cash shop, if I really want something I will buy it but I am not forced to in any way. So they may have me for life for just PvP.

Can you tell me how you picture FFARR pvp to be wicked? Cause i surely cant see any way to see it even remotely interesting with the combatsystem thats in this game.
    Looking at 2 Conjurers standing still casting stone at eachother for 5 min sounds really wicked

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

No. Two completely different game designs: different pay models, setting,combat,crafting the list goes on.