Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the only succesfull company that made a sandbox is CCP. This will count for WOD aswell??

SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

CCP is the only company that made succesfull sandbox from nothing..

Altho i don't play eve because of the combat system, i think CCP is the only company out there that made a game with almost none resources to the best mmorpg sandbox out there..

Whatever CCP is making with WOD.. i think we can argee that the master company of sandbox(CCP) will be succesfull in making this game..

- it will be open world

- it will be different and unique mmorpg concerning elements ingame ( sandbox )

Hopefully WOD combat system will be player skilled

Comments

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Not sure, CCP might have a freak anomaly in EVE as Blizzard did with their elves game.

CCP's DUST so far is a joke, so not everything they touch turns into gold....let's hope and wait.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

For the time frame SWG was a very successful sandbox as well.  Just SOE got greedy and chased greener pastures and ruined their own thing.  My hope is that they learned very well from that mistake and EQN turns out great.  But I a big fan of VtM so hoping for WoD to be good also :) 

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Wrong, Origin / Electronic Arts released a sandbox way before CCP even dreamed about EvE.

It's called Ultima Online, and it's still up and running today.

Not real sure about this but I don't think EA held rights to the original Ultima???

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Wrong, Origin / Electronic Arts released a sandbox way before CCP even dreamed about EvE.

I think his point was "from nothing" . . at least that is what I think he meant by "with almost none resources" :).  UO was based on a game world and shared similar graphics and ideas as the other Ultima games.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Runescape?  

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Minecraft.

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

MC and eve are probably the best sandbox games atm (at least for verything I tried so far). UO also counts, yes but it's a little outdated by now, but that was probably the ancestor to sandbox gaming.

WOD is the only mmo I have some expectations for.

Originally posted by uplink4242

WOD is the only mmo I have some expectations for.

My gut feeling (from what I know of LARPers) is that it's really hard to capture the atmosphere of those games in an MMO because so much of the gameplay is communication - body language and conversation rather than actions and stats.   They're a bright and inventive company, so I'm curious to see what they'll do with it, but it's definitely going to be challenging to make into a mass-market product.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Agreed. I think there are plenty of other successful sandbox focused MMOs.

A Tale in the Desert and Puzzle Pirates are two more that I can think of.

There are also the social focused MMOs that are very sandbox heavy, and many of them have been successful. Some examples are:

• Second Life
    • There
    • Sociolotron
    • Kaneva
    • Furcadia

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by maplestone

Minecraft.

"Oh there they go. There they go, every time we start talkin 'bout sanboxin' MMOs, some poster got to pull Minecraft out their ass. That's their one, that's their one. Minecraft, Minecraft. Let me tell you something once and for all. Minecraft was good, but compared to MMOs, Minecraft ain't shit."

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

"Oh there they go. There they go, every time we start talkin 'bout sanboxin' MMOs, some poster got to pull Minecraft out their ass. That's their one, that's their one. Minecraft, Minecraft. Let me tell you something once and for all. Minecraft was good, but compared to MMOs, Minecraft ain't shit."

Your quote is unattributed. This is a no-no in proofreading.

-5 forum pts.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196

I too have high hopes for WoD.  And, EvE Online is an excellent game, I still play off and on.  Well... I maintain my accounts anyway.  Its true Dust was pretty crappy, but here is hoping they update it and make it better, (should have been released on pc too, that hurt it).

As far a sandboxes go, and not using a loose definition as many posters are inclined to do, Ultima O definately is the Grandmother/father to all genre, type and flavor of mmo but is so "old" as to be dare i say irrelevent.  When people say MMO game now a days they don't mean launch dates pre birth of the wheel.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Minecraft.

Hold on there!

Minecraft is the shit!

It's just not an MMORPG.

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Your quote is unattributed. This is a no-no in proofreading.

-5 forum pts.

Are you sure the video doesn't count towards that?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Muke

Not sure, CCP might have a freak anomaly in EVE as Blizzard did with their elves game.

CCP's DUST so far is a joke, so not everything they touch turns into gold....let's hope and wait.

You may very well be right.....ITs kinda like music...Just because someone writes one great song doesn't mean they can write several...often times it ends with one great song.

I hope the game is great   But I suspect it will degenerate from WoD to world of Gangrels  and then to world of diablerie. All the while there will be Malkavian role players on global screaming : I am a duck.      I am  a shoe.      Etc etc. 

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

It's just not an MMORPG.

I disagree. I see Minecraft as a prototype of a road not taken by an industry that has gelled around a few well-polished templates.  It's something that goes back to basics and challenges some of our fundemental assumptions about what an MMO has to be. So even though I do not see it as my ideal game (nor am I am even playing on public servers very often when I do play it), I feel is important to call it an MMO and put it on the table to widen the imagination.

PS to Loktofeit: :-)

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I was going to ruin the OP's thread with facts. But that would be no fun....
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    CCP got lucky with EVE and i truly doubt they can translate their EVE success to other mmos.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

It's just not an MMORPG.

I disagree. I see Minecraft as a prototype of a road not taken by an industry that has gelled around a few well-polished templates.  It's something that goes back to basics and challenges some of our fundemental assumptions about what an MMO has to be. So even though I do not see it as my ideal game (nor am I am even playing on public servers very often when I do play it), I feel is important to call it an MMO and put it on the table to widen the imagination.

PS to Loktofeit: :-)

At the very least you can't take a game that you throw on an old PC under your desk, punch a hole in your firewall and allow a few friends to sign in and call it an MMO. It's not.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Snoepie

Altho i don't play eve because of the combat system, i think CCP is the only company out there that made a game with almost none resources to the best mmorpg sandbox out there..

Whatever CCP is making with WOD.. i think we can argee that the master company of sandbox(CCP) will be succesfull in making this game..

- it will be open world

So your rationale for WoD being successfull is that the devs have made one other successfull game.

Not bad, not accurate but not bad.  Past performance is a definite indicator of future performance.  Not a guarantee.

How many other dev studios that have had great 1st games, also had great 2nd games.  Cryptic?  nope; SOE - a bunch, some good some bad; Mythic - nope, (maybe not entirely fair because they went with EA), Turbine not with ac2, yes with lotro, funcom - definately some turbulence here. 

all in all not a great track record for 2nd games.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    WOD .. isn't that vaporware?
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

By EVE standards, PreCU SWG was a success. They had half a million logging in, they had a vibrant game. They also saw themselves as a failure to WoW. EVE never did. By WoW standards, EVE is a total flop. 10 years to break 60K login?

Most games today define their success by box sales and they aren't prepared to wait 5 years to get them. Players don't want everything now, game companies do. 5 million box sales in the first 3 months or it's a bust. Bring on the cash shop.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Asheron's Call

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by Snoepie

- it will be open world

So your rationale for WoD being successfull is that the devs have made one other successfull game.

Not bad, not accurate but not bad.  Past performance is a definite indicator of future performance.  Not a guarantee.

How many other dev studios that have had great 1st games, also had great 2nd games.  Cryptic?  nope; SOE - a bunch, some good some bad; Mythic - nope, (maybe not entirely fair because they went with EA), Turbine not with ac2, yes with lotro, funcom - definately some turbulence here. 

all in all not a great track record for 2nd games.

Ccp already has their bad 2nd game.  It's time for world of Gangrels to be the awesome third game