Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your biggest MMO disappointment?

Comments

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

Warhammer Online!

Curse...you....paul.b! ...............................CURSE YOUUUU!!!! O_O

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Ultima Online 2 or X or whatever they decided to call this piece of vaporware. I was truly disappointed when it was cancelled.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• NoLimit5401NoLimit5401 Member UncommonPosts: 20

Wahammer, I was in beta for a year, so I knew it had too many flaws to overcome. GW2, I didn't buy the hype and to be honest, the insane forum hype that game received, made me want to play it less and less. So I am going to have to go with SW:ToR.

Being a huge fan of the 2 single players games and Bioware I was hoping for something much much more then what it isn't.

When I did get into a beta weekend finally, I was soooooooooooo disappointed lol. The combat was such a turn off, I stopped playing after a couple of hours and didn't play again until launch, which I was convinced by a friend to get it. I did end up playing for seven months, only because of a guild we made and the community within that guild. I have logged in twice since and couldn't bring myself to do anything in game, except message a couple of people. So SW:ToR wins my biggest disappointment by a landslide....

P.S. SWG getting cancelled would rank right there with it.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Auto Assault.   The fact that it cancelled is my biggest disappointment.   Oh and the fact that HKO isn't the one game rule them all.     

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• geelgeel Member UncommonPosts: 93
    GW2 same as OP..
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

This last year?  Guild Wars 2.  I think they took something special in Guild Wars and turned it into a mass market game with zero depth and zero soul. I'm glad ANet is getting rich off of the game, but for me it's an empty experience.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Warhammer...... haiz........  :(

RIP Orc Choppa

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

I have to agree with the OP. Guild Wars 2 will be my choise for the "greatest MMO disappointment".

I expected so much more. I expected something closer to a real RPG than an MMO. I expected meaningful choises in character customization (gameplay wise), but.. in the end I got a light-hearted casual MMO with stupid races and bad humor. :/

SWTOR certainly comes second. I mean I would've rather took KOTOR 3. With or without a coop / multiplayer option. Third? Neverwinter.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Earth and Beyond

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by eccoton
    The switch from SWG to SWG-NGE. What the hell were they thinking! For me a game at release that I was very disappointed with was LOTRO. While I think it is a good game and I played on and off for years, it was not the sandbox that I hoped it could be. I really would love a LOTR sandbox game in the way SWG was. I want to live in the Shire and be a gardener!

SWG - to SWG-NGE for me as well.

and SWTOR...what were they thinking?  Waste of an IP, a terrible waste.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         SWTOR was mine.. It plays the same as KoTOR and Dragon Age with a monthly sub..  The TOR universe felt like one big lobby, and separated in bits and pieces.. SWG had a superior world in comparison.. Rift was another super small game.. You can't make a game smaller and more linear then Rift.. Yes Rift did come out with a viable expansion, but too little, too late.. I left by then and not coming back..
    Originally posted by Hatefull
    Originally posted by eccoton
    The switch from SWG to SWG-NGE. What the hell were they thinking! For me a game at release that I was very disappointed with was LOTRO. While I think it is a good game and I played on and off for years, it was not the sandbox that I hoped it could be. I really would love a LOTR sandbox game in the way SWG was. I want to live in the Shire and be a gardener!

SWG - to SWG-NGE for me as well.

and SWTOR...what were they thinking?  Waste of an IP, a terrible waste.

To be honest, if we had an updated version of the NGE right now, it's still a thousand times more interesting a game than most everything else on the market, IMO.  I'd prefer a modern version of pre-NGE of course.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by sirphobos

Vanguard

Asheron's Call 2

Vanguard when it was originally released had a 2 person Dev team, and while I admit it had bugs and a lot of other issues, it was a good piece of work for what they had to work with. 

I believe the EQ comparison came about because of fans, not so much dev's, at any rate I did not find it disappointing, as much as I found it under-funded.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• LycaerixLycaerix Member UncommonPosts: 19

For me it's an obvious toss-up between Star Wars: The Old Republic and The Secret World.

Both had so much potential and both were such a disappointment in the end...

Originally posted by Ulvenkai

For me it's an obvious toss-up between Star Wars: The Old Republic and The Secret World.

I agree with this too.  In the end I think themepark MMO games are just dead and soulless.  Once you've played for any significant time in one, the rest seem like more of the same.  I've tried for years, but there's no magic in them at all.  Now I'm just sitting and waiting for some new stuff (as usual).  At least there is hope of some variety on the horizon now.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    The CU and NGE "upgrades" to SWG.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    GW2 by a mile. Anime quality VO and puddle-shallow quests. Still can't figure how it took 4-5 years of development.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306

Most of the MMOs I have played lived up to their potential at the time, so I haven't been too disappointed in most of them.. However..

1) Tabula Rasa.. I loved this game and it had so much more room to grow.. Never should have been cancelled in my opinion.. Burn in the fiery pits of Hades, NC Soft.. Burn..

2) Earth and Beyond.. Another game that met its end too soon.. To this day, I can still reminisce with some of my friends who also played..

3) City of Heroes.. Another game cancelled by my nemesis, NC Soft.. While I admit I had not played it in years, it was sad to hear of its demise..

4) Auto Assault.. I was in the beta and probably sent in about 1000 ways to improve it.. Another game with a different style and potential axed by, you guessed it, NC Soft..

I guess my only severe disappointments with MMOS in general is cloning and cancellation.. Oh, and condolences to the SWG players.. I wasn't playing the game when the NGE hit, but it definitely sounded like something that would make my list..

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    EQ2, what a big pile of beetle dung
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Zandramas666Zandramas666 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by DMKano

Biggest - Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning (Mythic/EA)

The game was hyped as much as EQN is right now, and it was SO bad, ugh.

this

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

1.  SWTOR

2.  Neverwinter

• LycaerixLycaerix Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by MindTriggerOriginally posted by Ulvenkai

I agree with this too.  In the end I think themepark MMO games are just dead and soulless.  Once you've played for any significant time in one, the rest seem like more of the same.  I've tried for years, but there's no magic in them at all.  Now I'm just sitting and waiting for some new stuff (as usual).  At least there is hope of some variety on the horizon now.

I'm in the same boat as you--sitting, waiting and twiddling my thumbs.

I pledged for Star Citizen. It's probably one of the few games that has really seemed to be full of promise and passionate about delivering those promises so I just hope I'm right about that.

But yeah, everything out at the moment bores me to tears.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Earthrise

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• Torque2484Torque2484 Member UncommonPosts: 50
    You know what honestly I have never been disappointed with any MMO I have played and I have played a lot.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Torque2484
    You know what honestly I have never been disappointed with any MMO I have played and I have played a lot.

I'm pretty much the same way.  Personally, I look at every game as though it's going to suck, that way if I like it, I'm not disappointed.  Other people could learn something from that and save themselves feeling bad later.  I only risked getting my hopes up for GW2, and I'm still playing it, so I quit while I was ahead.

That doesn't mean I'm not cautiously optimistic about Wildstar, however.

Sadly though, most MMOs on the horizon really DO look like shit to me.