Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking ahead: Guild Wars 2 in 2013

VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
New blog is up, and it's a good one

Oderint, dum metuant.

Comments

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169

Too little too late.

Great now I am forced to craft in order to get a legendary weapon.

Also, it took them this long to realize there aren't enough skills? Judging by their focus on skills in this game, I don't think we'll see more than 3 new skills by the end of the year per class. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    I just jizzed in my pants D: 
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz

Too little too late.

Also, it took them this long to realize there aren't enough skills? Judging by their focus on skills in this game, I don't think we'll see more than 3 new skills by the end of the year per class. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING.

You can buy legendary weapons of the auction house, what are you talking about?

Ascended gear and weapons, they'll be crafted it seems and account bound so if you want those you'll have to craft, true. You can also craft the materials and sell them. Pre-cursors... those will be something you can craft as well, or purchase/find like now.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Too little too late.

So, more skills doesn't mean better skills. Look at Rift - so many skills that are useless and same with GW1. I mean how many people use 'Malaise'? I think A.Net wants to have useful skills not just skills for the sake of having skills.

The game is one year old, how can it be too little too late?

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

I just wonder how long they can keep the vertical progression cap in place.  I know they don't want the 6-12 month treadmill that "invalidates" the rewards of the previous 6-12 months.  But at some point, doesn't the growing crowd of players who have EVERYTHING available also invalidate the rewards?  I think that's increasingly harder to manage on a large scale, and AN will eventually bust out the mythical "mythical" level rewards to give them some wiggle room in design. 

All hell will break loose after that, of course, but I really think AN is boxing themselves into a design corner, and it's going to be *very* interesting to see how they escape, or if they even try.  Goals aren't just things hit into a net.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Rommie10-284

I just wonder how long they can keep the vertical progression cap in place.  I know they don't want the 6-12 month treadmill that "invalidates" the rewards of the previous 6-12 months.  But at some point, doesn't the growing crowd of players who have EVERYTHING available also invalidate the rewards?  I think that's increasingly harder to manage on a large scale, and AN will eventually bust out the mythical "mythical" level rewards to give them some wiggle room in design. 

All hell will break loose after that, of course, but I really think AN is boxing themselves into a design corner, and it's going to be *very* interesting to see how they escape, or if they even try.  Goals aren't just things hit into a net.

You're looking at a very different user base here than your typical MMO. The no-vertical-progression-design has been at the core of Guild Wars for the entire lifespan of the franchise. It is for many players a essential reason why they chose this game over others in the first place. 

For players coming from other MMOs, it is a relatively easy development: either they find some other aspect about playing an MMO that keeps them entertained in GW2, or they put it down and go to another. For example, right now FFXIV is enjoying a steady stream of players who were left wanting with GW2 and are finding a more more familiar MMO environment over there, soon there will also be Wildstar, and ESO and EQN are on the horizon.

• johaocarljohaocarl Member UncommonPosts: 111

Any positive post that this forum have, the trolls come to attack.

GW2 is certainlly making a huge sucess with teh quantity of hate it is generating.

Originally posted by johaocarl

Any positive post that this forum have, the trolls come to attack.

GW2 is certainlly making a huge sucess with teh quantity of hate it is generating.

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    [mod edit]

Back on the topic: Glad too see all that is coming in the second half of 2013!!!  I´m ready!

imageimageimage

[mod edit]

[mod edit]
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

It is quite funny that every time a really huge positive piece of news comes out of GW2 that all the people who can't accept that it has been a huge success come out to play. Disregarding that -- 

This blog post has me really excited. If they can get all of this done in 2013 I will be absolutely thrilled. I mean they pretty much covered all of the previous blog post short of *I think* new fractals in the first half. So going on that I think we will see all this stuff actually happen this year. All of it is very exciting and reinforces the notion of constantly playing with a sense of progression, but one thing kinda stands out to me that excites me alot not just because it is going to change the dynamic of an entire piece of the game; because it can be finished SOON. That being the change to dungeon rewards. Looks simple enough to implement to me. This is something that will make running ALL dungeons appealing. I know some people don't like dungeons in GW2 and I think part of that is the reward system so this should really help. 

Overall it is a really exciting time to play this game. I really feel like this game becoming "is the next big thing" after WoW for a lot of people. 

[mod edit]
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    [mod edit]
  • clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Really like how they are addressing the precursor weapon problem, and crafting as a whole. Will also be awesome to be able to select the stat's you want for your legendary. Still waiting on polymock though!
    [mod edit]

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    [mod edit]

Oderint, dum metuant.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Rommie10-284

They could just take my idea for more horizontal progression.

Instead of adding more stats and bigger numbers, add more weapon types and create unique weapons with abilities only linked to that weapon.

So you find a dagger called Venom's Fang, instead of it just being your typical dagger abilities, it comes with it's own set of 3 unique abilities for the main slot and 2 unique abilities for the off slot.

Main Hand

1. Your auto attack is now a poison dot that stacks (max 3 stacks)

2. You spin in place spraying poison in a AoE ring around you.

3. Shadowstep to your target slowing them by x%

Off Hand

4. Place a single powerful poison on your target which does X damage over Y seconds.

5. Consume all poison stacks on your target for a burst of damage.

Sure it's more work to make a bunch of these than it is to add kites and other mini-game content, but it would be awesome to scour the world looking for interesting weapons and really making your character fit a playstyle you want. They could really be infinitely creative here and just keep making crazy weapons, and the best part is, is that number-wise they can be balanced to what is currently out there, so no vertical progression at all! Just new ways to engage in combat.

Would even make PvP much more interesting as you would have to face classes that have much more variation. Sure that Warrior has a greatsword, but what it's a greatsword that is built around buffing allies instead of doing big damage? Or what if it's more about mobility and tricky combat skills?

Oh well, they won't do something like this even though it would take GW2 to another level.  Which is a shame because you get to experience the fact that they did think of unique weapons with their own abilities as you can pick up weapons on the ground and you get to play around with unique weapons in the personal story.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by botrytis

Too little too late.

So, more skills doesn't mean better skills. Look at Rift - so many skills that are useless and same with GW1. I mean how many people use 'Malaise'? I think A.Net wants to have useful skills not just skills for the sake of having skills.

The game is one year old, how can it be too little too late?

Anet seems to have so many fooled with their really cheap lazy efforts.

Adding in stats and raising crafting points takes no effort at all.Then to add in a new Legendary line and say they are not  getting into the Tier based gear game is being hypocritical.Also they talk about keeping their goal of a world that feels alive,yet they keep churning out mini games and meaningless content that is again hypocrticial of a living world.

So they say one thing but do the exact opposite.

So all you really have to look forward to is a Legendary TIER of gear and being able to craft stuff that is already in the game and some new stats?That is what a team is spending months and months to design?

You know what takes EFFORT and money to design?Characters,NPC's, animated cut scenes/movies,housing,mounts,lots of gear lines,new classes that is what a team does to create content that is worthy of buying.

EVERY single thing ANET does is very cheap,cost effective,this was their design in GW1 and very quickly they have steered right back there once again.They started by saying they would get away from the GW1 instance game,well they are right back there again because it is cheap and cost effective.

I will be surprised ,i mean VERY surprised if i ever see ANET put out any costly content.BTW i lasted all of two days in GW2 I have had several other totally free games keep me  interested for much longer periods of time.With EQ2 out there and totally free i cannot see how anyone would pay Anet to deliver sub par content.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    [mod edit]

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ...
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ...

+1 - this made my day - I should use this as a quote for my signature!!

I had to use it...... :-)

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

I had to use it...... :-)

Nice

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Cleaned things up in here. Now, let's hopefully remain on topic.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]