Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason for the delay

Informer80Informer80 Member Posts: 91

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/374766-trion-caught-unprepared-major-influx-players-following-f2p-release.html

Taken from the post:

** Warning** Speculative/Spoiler

Rumour mill had TRION WORLDS INC in negotiations for sale both to EA and SOE. The former makes sense, as the founders came from the company, and has maintained contact through out, while the latter they already maintain some sort of association/parternship with. If these rumours were true, then they would explain a great deal. The size of the layoffs for one. I don't know how many of you have ever been through a merger or takeover, but if comes from an entity within the same industry, both companies can anticipate layoffs. Reason being, duplication. Ie; EA already has staff that do X,Y and Z and therefore don't need staff from TRION that does X,Y, and Z.

It would expalin the loss of key people such as Hartsman and Hanlin.

However, given that we haven't seen any formal annoucements yet, it maybe that nothing materialized from the discussions, or it could be that they have not been formalized. Time will tell.

[...]

I wouldn´t go that far to say whole Trion Worlds will be swallowed by EA or Sony, but Trion Worlds Europe is doomed for sure!
Take a look at the german/french/european forums of ALL Trion games, zero support, only one community manager for all games (poor Kahun), no moderators and no chat at all.

I´m pretty sure Trion Worlds Europe will die during the next months, even weeks!

Well, without even a source, it's hard to take this rumour seriously but I can see the logic in the point being made.

What do you think?

Comments

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    I think that you did a great job informing us....informer.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Personally i think its surprising the lengths people will go to, to create rumours. image
  • DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

If specualtion bears any truth its a sad day for Archage.

Especially if $OE is the new owner cause $OE is the eternal enemy of online gaming and any people who play MMORPG. They destroyed any game and any good experience they touched.

I  don't touch $OE products since tghey destroyed my favorite MMORPG 2005 so it would be the end of my interest for Archage, and soon enough Archage would be destroyed as well  by  the fascistic like company like $OE.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I don't think it has been delayed, I don't remember seeing anyone think that the translation and changes to the NA system/style would be ready yet.  So I think we are starting with a false premise.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

If specualtion bears any truth its a sad day for Archage.

Especially if $OE is the new owner cause $OE is the eternal enemy of online gaming and any people who play MMORPG. They destroyed any game and any good experience they touched.

I  don't touch $OE products since tghey destroyed my favorite MMORPG 2005 so it would be the end of my interest for Archage, and soon enough Archage would be destroyed as well  by  the fascistic like company like $OE.

I disagree, EQ is one of the longest run mmo's out there with dozens of expansions, EQ2 w/ dozens of expansions, they did wonders with SWG after the forced NGE/CU and were coming up with ORIGINAL things to add to game (atmospheric flight, etc), and are rebounding on VG after sigil destroyed that game (granted it took them long enough).

With the new look on sandbox games and designing one from the ground up with no one controlling SOE's moves FINALLY, I think they would do well.

Granted they have made a few bad ones along the way, but who hasn't. Trion surely has, EA more than others, biowares first attempt was a bomb, blizzard first and only attempt wasa  freak of nature and doubt that will ever happen again in todays gaming world.

Trion is failing at all levels and their games are stagnant and their play style is far from sandboxish.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Xthos

I don't think it has been delayed, I don't remember seeing anyone think that the translation and changes to the NA system/style would be ready yet.  So I think we are starting with a false premise.

All they had to do was translate, that's it. 4-8 months tops and they are coming up on that time now.  So my fears may be coming true. They are trying to westernize it and turn it into another junk game made up for entitled kiddies wanting a console game online than a true mmorpg sandbox style game image

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Trion was an amazing company for about 5 minutes. Hartsman's departure was all the writing on the wall I needed to read.

Joined - July 2004

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I would agree with the OP.

Seems far too interesting to me the chain of events at Trion - Hartsman leaving, F2P of Rift, poor-ish reception of Defiance, EoN being scrapped and now rebranded as a MOBA, all the layoffs...

And AA just released in Japan, and still zero word in months from AA's supposed Western publisher.

Writing on the wall says Trion is in trouble, may not be true they are in the market for a buyer/merger, but I would bet their role as Western publisher of AA is in extreme jeopardy.

If they don't pull the plug on the deal due to lack of manpower/resources to pull it off, XL Games might (or already has and isn't announcing a new Western publisher until they find one.)

And based on performance in JP and KR, finding a publisher for AA in the West could be hard to do when there are much more attractive titles coming out of the East like B&S, Wushu, perhaps in Black Desert, etc.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

But without a proof.....hmm...it's hard to believe.

Also we dont know how the contracts are. We know that XLGames gave AA to Trion even that they where not the highest bidder. Perhaps a selling/buying of Trion does not include AA then?

Hmm.....