Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your biggest MMO disappointment?

I'd have to go with GW2. It was so promising but the lack of skills, mixing classes, no rewards after level 80, and pseudo action combat really wasn't what I thought it was gonna be. No sub so worth the purchase but it felt very average.

Comments

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Tabula Rasa.  After years of nothing but fantasy MMOs.  I was really looking forward to a sci fi flavor.
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Age of Conan for me. I really thought the game was gonna be the most epic thing to come out in years and it failed so miserably.
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Star Trek Online.
  • eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    The switch from SWG to SWG-NGE. What the hell were they thinking! For me a game at release that I was very disappointed with was LOTRO. While I think it is a good game and I played on and off for years, it was not the sandbox that I hoped it could be. I really would love a LOTR sandbox game in the way SWG was. I want to live in the Shire and be a gardener!
    Originally posted by darwa
    Star Trek Online.

Another big disappointment!

• Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Defiance.
    Originally posted by hammarus
    Tabula Rasa.  After years of nothing but fantasy MMOs.  I was really looking forward to a sci fi flavor.

Yup another let down.

• koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Mortal Online..
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Neverwinter with DDO following closely, being a D&D fan I have a special heart for D&D MMOs.  Now I've given up hope for any sort of true D&D MMO.  Wish they would come out with some great D&D single player games again but might have to settle on kickstarter games like Project Eternity and Torment.  While they are likely to be great games they are still not D&D in the D&D universe.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I never got my hopes up for any MMO in particular apart from GW2, but I was expecting a lot more from TERA.  I was actually a TERA fan... until I played it.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    So many MMO disappointments. Biggest one is difficult. Probably SWTOR. Not so much for what it is but for what it could have been. A great IP wasted, unfortunately.
    Originally posted by furbans
    Neverwinter with DDO following closely, being a D&D fan I have a special heart for D&D MMOs.  Now I've given up hope for any sort of true D&D MMO.  Wish they would come out with some great D&D single player games again but might have to settle on kickstarter games like Project Eternity and Torment.  While they are likely to be great games they are still not D&D in the D&D universe.

They are both ok games but not what they could be. D&D could make such an awesome mmo but never really realized in DDO and Neverwinter.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

The shutdown of CoX.

Hadn't played it in a good long time, but I will definitely always miss it. Up yours, NCSoft.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Anthur
    So many MMO disappointments. Biggest one is difficult. Probably SWTOR. Not so much for what it is but for what it could have been. A great IP wasted, unfortunately.

Much like LOTRO I have mixed feelings about SWTOR. It is a good game for what it is. Like many I knew what SWTOR would be but I wanted it more like SWG. SWTOR as an open world sandbox mmo would be great.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Vanguard

Asheron's Call 2

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    SWTOR beyond a a doubt for me, never again Bioware
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • Ocalypse0Ocalypse0 Member UncommonPosts: 19

SW:TOR

It made the most obvious of rookie mistakes it was sickening. It was honestly like they didn't do one second of homework on the history of MMOs and obvious mistakes that had been made in the past.

Warrior/Druid - Level 90/90 - World of Warcraft
    GLD Level 27 - CNJ Level 15 - Final Fantasy XIV: ARR
    Jedi Guardian/Republic Gunslinger - Level 50/50 - SW:TOR
    Cleric - Level 48 - RIFT
    Illuminati - QL6 - The Secret World
    Trickster Rogue - Level 50 - Neverwinter
    Summoner Level 30 - League of Legends
    EGO Rating 363 - Defiance

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

1. M$ stopping development of mythica

2. istaria (horizons) leaving idea of world progression based on players actions (players as a whole, not a single person)

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 422
    WoW Wotlk And every game since has been equally detrimental to the health of my brain cells. In fact it may be getting worse over time.
  • SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    Hmmmm tough one cause there are so many, Aion disappointed me a lot cause of all the hype I was expecting a much better game. Any game that builds big hype ends up disappointing.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

Originally posted by sirphobos

Vanguard

Asheron's Call 2

Agreed, Vanguard could have been such a great game. I really like Asheron's Call 2 however one Friday night during primetime play of about 4 hours I never saw another player or any chat. I was so lonely and never logged in again. This thread is getting me depressed but it is interesting.

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102

Hard to say... probably SWTOR, I followed the game for 3 years and thought it would be something special at the time.

I'm done with MMO's at least for a while.

Originally posted by Datastar
    WoW Wotlk And every game since has been equally detrimental to the health of my brain cells. In fact it may be getting worse over time.

I played WOW everyday for about 6 years then I took an almost 2 year break and decided to come back. I am approaching it almost as a first time experience and I am really having fun. I am not judging it on what it was or the changes just playing what is there.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Tierless

NGE coming out and killing SWG
    Burning Crusade-adding nothing more than levels and helping me realize what WOW truly was
    WAR-having a tiered world system and RVR that did not live up to expectations
    SWTOR-Everything

After those 3 disappointments my world view changed lol.

Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

Five is right out.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by JustAHermit
    Defiance.

This and FFXIV 1.0.

It was as bad as flushing my money down the toilet.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney