Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• Darth_PanicDarth_Panic Member Posts: 5

The things I see in this video, 1 year before even Beta begins, fill me with hope! like the art, like the music, like the animations.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

I was skeptical of the game, mainly because I was hyped for Neverwinter which turned out to be a turd of bile of the worst bileness.  Character models and animations look great!  Hoping soon they start talking bout actual combat mechanics or abilities. 

Wished I had backed the game.

See how this holds up to EQN, have a feeling EQN will be watered down to appeal to the mainstream crowd and PFO will be the true fantasy MMO... well at least the PvP crowd as it will be an openworld PvP game which it is highly doubtful EQN will be no matter how much the PvP crowd will try to say it will be so.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by furbans

I was skeptical of the game, mainly because I was hyped for Neverwinter which turned out to be a turd of bile of the worst bileness.  Character models and animations look great!  Hoping soon they start talking bout actual combat mechanics or abilities. 

Wished I had backed the game.

See how this holds up to EQN, have a feeling EQN will be watered down to appeal to the mainstream crowd and PFO will be the true fantasy MMO... well at least the PvP crowd as it will be an openworld PvP game which it is highly doubtful EQN will be no matter how much the PvP crowd will try to say it will be so.

Rofl, Neverwinter: Apparently the actiony combat is good, but it's more of a Action-Coop-Roleplaying-Game aka dungeon runs? And the exploits really hurt it during live beta?

Goblin Works are aiming for a "Pit-Fighter" Tool, an early alpha combat simulation tool for end of year, if they manage to keep to schedule, so we may know more about the early shape of that then. I think they're going for a slower style of combat than Neverwinter so that's another big difference, but perhaps it fits more with an open world than a pure dungeon run?

They'll also open a pledge tool sometime for people that missed the kickstarter with similar but not exactly the same levels.

I'm sure EQ:N will be very impressive and my guess it will be fairly actiony combat too and open world: So I think there will be a lot of interest in this game for that simple reason /guessing-game. But we'll find out a ton more on 2 Aug so having options of good mmorpgs, will be kinda hard to believe!

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Neverwinter is really in a different category; it's only loosely an MMO with no virtual world to speak of. The basic gameplay is fun but there little to it beyond that unless your thing is doing the user-created content (which is the game's strong point.) PFO promises to be much more. But I also understand being reluctant to back a horse this early.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Isn't Pathfinder Online going for a virtual world/sandbox game where player versus player and player versus environment go hand in hand?

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Isn't Pathfinder Online going for a virtual world/sandbox game where player versus player and player versus environment go hand in hand?

Exactly.

But there's a difference to what that usually means, I think is worth thrashing out. Normally:

• PvE = Designer content eg quest + kill mobs = xp + gear OR
    • PvP = skill or zerg in killing players usually for points or VC.

=

• PvE = economic faucet for player goals such as building settlements, collecting stuff to sell on the markets etc.
    • PvP = competition for these things, possibly combat, possibly diplomacy, possibly trade wars. More or less a sink.

The other difference is some mmorpgs are more about interacting with the computer as above PvE "developer content" and others are more about interacting with other players as second PvP not killing game but "players as content".

I was reading recently where someone said UO proved that mmorpgs turn into players as running these things (ideally) but with EQ a lot of devs went for dev content because of the scarey griefing. There's repercussions to this that seem to be obvious in hindsight, that players are a mmorpgs biggest game asset!!