Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What officially makes a game successful?

2»

Comments

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    It seems like that is a normal part of the software development process, plan it, hire a bunch of people to do it, release it, lay them off, they go to another company for the next project?

Is that normal?

No it is not. Layoffs are indicative of a game launch that does not meet expectations.

When big layoffs occurred by game makers in the last few years, some people claimed it was normal. This is fallacy. If the arrangement was intentionally temporary, why wouldn't a company contract that person instead of adding them as a full time employee? The latter involves increased costs (health insurance, unemployment) and risk (getting sued).

Actually it's pretty common practice to use contract workers. They don't have to pay benefits or any kind of severance packages after their work is done. That is a large part of why you see people get let go shortly after the game gets finished.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Simple >> PROFIT..   nothing else needs to be said.. If you turn a profit, you are successful.. (period)
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It seems like that is a normal part of the software development process, plan it, hire a bunch of people to do it, release it, lay them off, they go to another company for the next project?

Is that normal?

No it is not. Layoffs are indicative of a game launch that does not meet expectations.

Reducing staff after release isn't normal? What MMO releases are you basing that on?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

If I like playing it.

There are other benchmarks, but they are pretty irrelevant to me.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Simple >> PROFIT..   nothing else needs to be said.. If you turn a profit, you are successful.. (period)

Are you an investor ?

No ?

Then you're massively wrong, buddy. If a game makes profit or not doesnt matter to you at all.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by djazzy
    Actually it's pretty common practice to use contract workers. They don't have to pay benefits or any kind of severance packages after their work is done. That is a large part of why you see people get let go shortly after the game gets finished.

When a company says they laid off or "let go" employees, they are not talking about contractors.

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Reducing staff after release isn't normal? What MMO releases are you basing that on?

How many employees were fired immediately after the launch of Everquest, WoW, DaOC, SWG?

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Is that normal?

When big layoffs occurred by game makers in the last few years, some people claimed it was normal. This is fallacy. If the arrangement was intentionally temporary, why wouldn't a company contract that person instead of adding them as a full time employee? The latter involves increased costs (health insurance, unemployment) and risk (getting sued).

I don't know, thats why I asked the question.

I do know that companies hire temporary workers all the time.  In my company there are currenlyt 3 temp positions being offered right now. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

Is that normal?

What lokto stated.

Again I don't have enough experience in dev (i dont have any experience in dev) field to say one way or the other.

All I know from friends and clients is it is common in software developement to lay people off after a project is done. 

Originally posted by djazzy

When a company says they laid off or "let go" employees, they are not talking about contractors.

How many employees were fired immediately after the launch of Everquest, WoW, DaOC, SWG?

I don't know.  I don't even recall being paying attention to that back then.  They might have been, but I was different so I might not have noticed.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Money

It's an industry, not a hobby.