Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Moving Forward and Looking Back

2»

Comments

• DkuangDkuang Member UncommonPosts: 37

Well game's just not for me, even if I'm a big FF fan. What the game offers is just too much of what's already done. I'm not asking for innovation to the one millions power but the games combat, crafting, questing, FATE's, and reliance on "procs" for combat is just well...too "meh". Might as well go back to WoW if I wanted everything FF is offering but done better, or even GW2 for its live events.

FF will surely make a killing in sales, FF fanboys/girls alike, but many will surely see how much the game is lacking 3-6 months after release or even extended game play. Good luck to those who will throw their money and time into this game. I for one am not.

You reap what you sow.

• jmlane223jmlane223 Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    Originally posted by jmlane223
    You were excited about turning 20? I think most people couldn't careless about 20 and more about 21... someone does not party outside of games

He is British. Turning 21 doesn't mean anything there.

Ah ok that makes sense now

• dream217dream217 Member Posts: 8

Great article!

I haven't had this much fun in an MMO since vanilla WoW. I played the 1.0 beta back in the day and was very disappointed with what I saw.

To tell you I was pleasantly surprised with ARR beta would be an understatement. I haven't had game withdrawal in a while now, but my god, I can't wait to play this again (without the wipes.)

Hurry up Open Beta!

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

Great article.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Twenty years old is nothing... seriously.

Also while I didn't send that PM I was critical of your write ups for FFXIV because they were full of factually incorrect information.  I'm sorry people hurt your feelings by criticizing your article, but welcome to the real world I guess.

If you want to just enjoy games without being criticized for your ignorance don't pretend to be an authority on them and write articles for a gaming website about them.

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

I played FFXI for 6 years and it's probably my favorite game of all time. I tried to play v1.0 but my PC couldn't handle it.

At first I was a little pessimistic towards v2.0 until I realized what was going on. When you think about this game 10 years, 20 jobs and 3-6 expansions from now when everyone is end game, new players will be able to come in and start playing without any stress. All mats can be bought, plenty of time soloing mobs and questing to get familiar with environments and routines, and when you do get to party content it's small, easy to manage groups that can be formed cross server with duty finder. 

Not being accessible to new players has always hurt FFXI's numbers. So far I think Yoshi has done an incredible job and believe that he will continue to do so. 

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

Funny article.  I agree that rabid fanboys/girlz are both hilarious and annoying.

I also agree that FFXI was just copying the sign of the times EQ and FFXIV is just copying the sign of the times WoW.

FFXIV seems like a pleasant game.  I have stopped playing it in beta due to work becoming rather busy and me becoming bored with the game.  I'll give it a try when it releases.  It is not bad, by any stretch.  I think it is basically competent and okay.

• neosparkkneosparkk Member UncommonPosts: 59

For anyone interested....

The biggest problem with the game right now it the delay when using abilities or interacting with pretty much anything.

It's about a full second delay when cancelling a spell. You can actually start moving before a spell is done casting and still have the spell activated before it gets "interrupted". Also when avoiding enemy AoE you can leave the targeted area but unless you've been out of it for approx. 1 second then you'll still take damage. Activating spells also has a delay but not as bad as cancelling them. Interacting with things in the such as something for a quest, has this delay as well.

If this problem along with the rest of the "sliding" combat animations are fixed before launch then prepare to hear a lot of negative things in the weeks after release >_>...

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by neosparkk

The biggest problem with the game right now it the delay when using abilities or interacting with pretty much anything.

It's about a full second delay when cancelling a spell. You can actually start moving before a spell is done casting and still have the spell activated before it gets "interrupted". Also when avoiding enemy AoE you can leave the targeted area but unless you've been out of it for approx. 1 second then you'll still take damage. Activating spells also has a delay but not as bad as cancelling them. Interacting with things in the such as something for a quest, has this delay as well.

If this problem along with the rest of the "sliding" combat animations are fixed before launch then prepare to hear a lot of negative things in the weeks after release >_>...

Wow that sounds like a pretty serious problem to be occurring this late in the beta process.

Combat being responsive and fun is key for pretty much any successful MMORPG.  Hopefully they can get that addressed before release, because if they don't, like you said, they will hear about it from the players.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by neosparkk

This is an exaggeration... the dev team has acknowledged that the casting bar and the animation are not synced when trying to avoid mob abilities.  If you focus on the casting bar and not the animation, you will never get it.  If you rely on the animation only, the delay between the too creates the appearance of lag, or non responsiveness.

This is an issue that is currently being addressed.... with the way this Dev team works, I have NO DOUBT it will be addressed.   But to say, it's a game breaking problem? You wouldn't have 75% of people on these forums and other websites raving about the game if it had such a broken mechanic.  YES, it's an issue, but not the extent that the above poster makes it seem.

My 2 cents.

• iFruitiFruit Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Good luck to the author with "taking a look forward while still looking back", he's obviously an octopus
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Mentioning the fans of FFXIV of being poor, why not discuss how terrible Guildwars 2 fanbois are? Unless thats a one sided jab there in a way to attack the game, since I see extremely little defence of FFXIV compared to other games such as most recently GW2 which has HUGE fanboi attacks on anything that deems the game as being anything perfect, something I see far worst and seen practically none of for FFXIV in comparison.

Just curious again, since you bring up such a generic complaint I can't recall a single game I ever went through a thread and didn't see one person defending the game with pure ruthlessness to others.

• dalingrindalingrin Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

Eh, you invoke the name of Everquest?  That game is 14 years old.  You were 20 when FFXIV came out.  So, you played EQ in all it's glory when you were about....6?

Sorry, your math does not add up.  I seriously doubt you played any of those three games you listed when they were in their prime, which was around 1999-2001 for EQ.

FFXIV 14 is nothing like Everquest.  Take it from someone who played EQ way back then, and who has played FFXIV.  Nothing like EQ.  It's nothing like EQ now, and the game is totally different from back in the day.

DAOC was a three faction PVP game.  I am not sure how you equate FFXIV ARR to a three faction PVP focused game.

The author didn't mean FFXIV is a clone of EQ. Mechanically its really nothing like EQ but I do agree it has an older school feeling, even if intangible. 

FFXIV has three factions and will have three faction PvP. The producer/director just so happens to be a hardcore DAOC player.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Mentioning the fans of FFXIV of being poor, why not discuss how terrible Guildwars 2 fanbois are? Unless thats a one sided jab there in a way to attack the game, since I see extremely little defence of FFXIV compared to other games such as most recently GW2 which has HUGE fanboi attacks on anything that deems the game as being anything perfect, something I see far worst and seen practically none of for FFXIV in comparison.

Just curious again, since you bring up such a generic complaint I can't recall a single game I ever went through a thread and didn't see one person defending the game with pure ruthlessness to others.

He never said the fans of FFXIV were poor, he was just whining a little about people who criticized his article.  It was some of the first he wrote for this site, and as he said he was very young at the time.

I think it is pretty unprofessional, if you write opinion pieces for a living you should prepare yourself for backlash from those who do not subscribe to your take on matters.  To then try and use the fact that the fans of the game got a complete remake to fix all their problems as "justification" and confirmation that he was "right all along" is also I think kind of reflective of this kind of shallow immature and narcissistic attitude.

I don't particularly care for this author, I've read a few pieces he did for MMORPG.com outside of FFXIV coverage and found the articles to be not to my liking.  But he is entitled to his opinions, and I'm sure he will only get better at writing with more experience. 

My main problem with his articles is that he just seems very unfamiliar with the topics he writes on, and it shows in his writing which can then be misleading.  I dont' care if he likes the games I do or not, maybe he does now.  But I'd have to see some serious improvement in the quality of both his ability to accurately portray facts and add more interesting analysis to his articles to change my opinion of him as a writer.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    You were excited about turning 20? I think most people couldn't careless about 20 and more about 21... someone does not party outside of games

Turning 18 is the big one in the UK.  No more sneaking into pubs hoping the barman will not ask your age.  At 18 you can buy alcohol and vote but can have sex and get married at 16 and drive a car at 17.  Funny old laws in the UK :)

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Turning 20 is a step from being a teenager, so its a big thing for may of us, and being British 16 and 18 are the 2 other age milestones for us, sex then booze, legally of course :P  Though what gets my goat up is many establishments regard you as an adult at 14 making you pay for adult tickets rather than child tickets, rules are bent to suit.

Back on topic, great write up, ARR is looking to be a game to take most of my free time up, my garden will wither, the fish stocks will replenish and my gf will become an ARR widow.

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156
    I don't like ARR.  They put so much effort into downgrading the graphics/animations just to add quest spam and reduce zone size.  I don't get it.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

As a FF fan, I really hope this and FFXV bring about a huge rebound for the series.

GO SE!

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

I'm more than fine with you not liking my articles. Each to their own etc.

However, that article wasn't one of my first, I had been writing for this site for about a year, and the whole "FFXIV fanboy message" bit was meant to serve as something of a comedic device rather than a "hey, look at how ALL FF fans are".

I would make mention of Guild Wars 2 or any other MMO for that matter but that'd be off topic. I don't think its unproffesional to on occasion poke a little fun at your audience because we're all here to talk/enjoy MMORPGs and we can all take a little good natured ribbing. 

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by shakermaker0

I'm more than fine with you not liking my articles. Each to their own etc.

However, that article wasn't one of my first, I had been writing for this site for about a year, and the whole "FFXIV fanboy message" bit was meant to serve as something of a comedic device rather than a "hey, look at how ALL FF fans are".

I would make mention of Guild Wars 2 or any other MMO for that matter but that'd be off topic. I don't think its unproffesional to on occasion poke a little fun at your audience because we're all here to talk/enjoy MMORPGs and we can all take a little good natured ribbing. 

Unfortunately, most of us are here just to show how much we hate the genre and all the games within XD

It's weird.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Link-deadLink-dead Member Posts: 15

Aye  ARR does seem far better then 1.0. Almost as fun as FFVII.  as for EQ, what made it big was that it was a social MMO, a  chat room with 3d graphics. We made friends and enemies in the chat channels.  Players were not playing just to stare in a spell book as they regen mana. but yes  after this beta it does  give that same feeling UO, EQ, WOW and DAOC gave at first.

The outlook of hope. 1.0 had the same feeling as EQ2 and WAR from the start.

I will be buying the pre-order when I get back from vacation.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Indeed..  Us brits first consider 16 as a milestone as we can get our provisional motorbike license.  Than at 17 its our car license, then 18 when we can legally go for a pint.  Of course most UK kiddies start going out drinking in the pubs n clubs at around 15 or 16 :)

On topic...  Good article..  Im a noob as FF games but I've thoroughly enjoyed beta.  I will be subbing...

• Mr_MechanicalMr_Mechanical Member Posts: 88

"Whether or not the end game, PvP, or attached baubles are worthwhile seems elementary at this point. I know that I have found something enchanting within the adventure, and my mind hasn’t simply turned to the checklist of activities. I believe in the world, and I am having fun. For however long it lasts, I know that Square Enix have at least salvaged their reputation: even in beta Final Fantasy XIV is truly reborn. "

Although the entire article was a good read, this last quoted portion was my favorite.     This is the best way to sum up FFXIV at this point.

I am so proud of Square Enix for doing so much to resolve this dark situation.   I feel like I could have written this article myself, as I felt and feel the exact same way, only, I was an avid FFXI player, so I had extremely high hopes for FFXIV.   I felt burned after buying that, and all the patches really didn't help much.   I gave up.    When I got ARR beta invite(s), I ignored them.  Didn't care.       This last weekend during Phase 3, I heard from a buddy that he was giving it a shot, so I figured why not it's just a weekend.      As said in this column, "I am so glad that I did."

I haven't had as much fun and excitement and feeling of wonder and adventure in an mmorpg since FFXI.    

FFXIV: ARR is a great GREAT world to play in.     I can't wait till launch!

• Mr_MechanicalMr_Mechanical Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Dkuang

Well game's just not for me, even if I'm a big FF fan. What the game offers is just too much of what's already done. I'm not asking for innovation to the one millions power but the games combat, crafting, questing, FATE's, and reliance on "procs" for combat is just well...too "meh". Might as well go back to WoW if I wanted everything FF is offering but done better, or even GW2 for its live events.

FF will surely make a killing in sales, FF fanboys/girls alike, but many will surely see how much the game is lacking 3-6 months after release or even extended game play. Good luck to those who will throw their money and time into this game. I for one am not.

Fair enough, the game's not for you..   But, I just have to touch up on some points here.

1)  this is the first time I've finally felt that there is an MMO that does "some things that have already been done, but better" instead of saying that about WoW.    Everything this game does that WoW also does, FFXIV ARR does better, and with more of a feeling of BEING THERE and being part of the world that it's happening in.  

2)  You simply did not play FFXIV ARR if you think the crafting system is not innovative, or some how "done better' in WoW or GW2.  No fracking way.  

3)  The game already has the systems/mechanics/content in place to make it last years, not to mention whatever content is released in the future.  I played FFXI for years and I already see more ways/reasons that FFXIV ARR will keep me playing, and it has jack shit to do with some shallow 'end game'  -- the FF community alone makes it worth playing the games for years.    WoW has never and will never be able to say that.  Ever.

4)  I got much more enjoyment out of FATES than I ever did in GW2, WAR, and RIFT's dynamic content.    Sad considering those games are built around such gimicks and the games still aren't very enjoyable to someone who wants to feel like a real part of the game.  

5)  I am not a FF fanboi.  I've never even beaten a FF game.   All of the friends and clan mates I know of that are buying and subbing ARR are not fanbois either.  Some of them even hate other FF games, but they could not ignore how much they enjoyed the beta (to each their own?)

6)  I played FFXI because the people were great, the world felt exciting, and things weren't handed to me.    I had to earn things and when I did, I felt gratified and the rewards just felt more substantial.  And they didn't nullify everything I worked for every 1-3 months in some balance patch.    FFXIV ARR seems to have this aspect as well, even though there is obviously a bit more weight/importance added to gear and equipment, there are other aspects of the game that when achieved/reached, the bountiful rewards are designed to last the lifetime of the character.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy whatever games you are interested in.    Thanks for your 2 cents on 'how the game is going to fail in 3-6 months"   

• h0tNstilettosh0tNstilettos Member Posts: 25

Nice read!

I am currently experiencing withdrawal after phase 3 ended. ARR is the best MMO I have ever played, and I've played many in the past 10 years including WoW. Sure, ARR is not perfect, but they are improving things quite a bit. I'm not comparing ARR beta to long established MMOs, but rather comparing it to other MMOs when they were in beta phase. If ARR is this good now, just envision farther down the line as they continue rolling out features. They've taken familiar MMO features and innovated them, like what they did with crafting, and the housing plans. Plus post release they'll be adding things not done before in an MMORPG like the amusement park and talk of chocobo racing, etc.