Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Looking for a new MMO: Is The Secret World worth it?

WhiteCrossWhiteCross Phoenix, AZPosts: 120Member

So, as the title states, I'm wondering if TSW is worth the time.

I'm getting tired of GW2. GW2 is awesome, but the class balancing is a joke.

So, is TSW worth the time sink?

As a MMO junkie, I don't mind a time sink, just not sure if this is worth the effort.

...thoughts???

Comments

• spookymiaspookymia PerthPosts: 57Member
    IMO TSW has by a long way some of the best missions and dialog of most, if not all MMOs, but it's not for everyone. Compared to other MMOs it's quite challenging. Even with the normal PvE missions (not dungeons etc) you have to know what you are doing with the skills and gear or you will suffer. The dungeons etc require even more detailed knowledge. The PvP can be fun but is fraught with problems. Some people don't like the combat but I think it's fine. It's great not to have to stick with one class on a character as you can be anything you want. As a buy to play game it's a bargain I think.
  • WillyMMORPGWillyMMORPG Texarkana, TXPosts: 78Member

If you go in thinking cookie cutter MMO like other games (kill 10 boars, loot 5 boar whiskers, ding, grats!) you might be a bit disoriented at first. The leveling and skill system are all integrated in the AP / SP points and you are not limited in what you can buy.

You can buy any skill, and increase the level of all your slots (talismans = 7 gear slots which are head  / 3 majors: ring/neck/wrist ; 3 minors: occult, luck, belt ;;; and two weapons). The higher the amount of SP points you put in Head / Major / Minor, your stats increase, the more SP points you put in weapons, the more effective they are.

AP are ability points and you can buy any and all of the abilities and roll your own skill sets. There are nine weapon types divided in three categories: melee (hammer, sword, fist) ranged (pistols, shotgun, assault rifles) and magic (blood, elemental, chaos). You choose a main hand and off hand from those 9 weapons (only 1 of any, you can't dual wield pistols x 2), and then fill in the abilities from a huge pool that can be weapon specific in the active bar or passive abilities that modify what your actives do -- if you penetrate, this effect happens ; if you critical, that effect happens ; another passive that afflicts (DOT) and then you synergize by looking for something that is triggered by afflictions.

For example, a fist passive "Blood Sport" afflicts the enemy every time you hit it ; you then go look for a matching "synergized" passive that plays off the affliction, something that does xyz to an afflicted target. Sounds complicated but it's very powerful and pretty easy to figure out when you play with your decks and specs (there are sites devoted to synchronizing your abilities to max out your damage (or healing or tanking abilities).

And the freedom from this open ended system can't be over-emphasized. Say you're in a dungeon and your healer drops out -- if you have healing abilities and passives bought and decent items weapons / talismans, you can respec your character on the fly and fill in as the healer. It's also very powerful for soloing because you can redo your abilities if a particular PvE quest monster is giving you troubles, pop in something that self heals you when you penetrate (or hit an afflicted target, see above).

But, my favorite part of all? It's modern world, no elves, no gnomes, no dragons (except the faction which are a chaotic group based in Seoul).

• aspekxaspekx Brandon, FLPosts: 2,167Member

i think perhaps you should state what elements you consider good/bad in an mmo. that way we can address those as they relate to TSW, rather than just throwing infoz at you.

(albeit all that's been said so far is quite accurate.)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingPosts: 2,714Member Uncommon

Well, based on the few elements he did wrote I guess TSW can be a good pick.

GW2 is awesome, but the class balancing is a joke. - in TSW there are no classes, hence no class balance either :) basically there's a big pile from every skill in the game (called abilities) and as the player goes on, he slowly purchasing every one of them. Which is leading to the second one,

I don't mind a time sink, just not sure if this is worth the effort. - since there are no levels and no level cap either, so there's no "time sink" in the original meaning. Players can pick the abilites in any order, can get pretty quick to the edge of the wheel with focusing on only one role (e.g. melee aoe dps), but that's not the end, any further action nets AP to spend on more abilities. In that sense no time is "sinked", for anything you do you'll get the points to purchase new abilities, which are expanding the character's options.

• ReehayReehay ftgdfgd, NVPosts: 172Member
    Originally posted by WhiteCross

As a MMO junkie, I don't mind a time sink, just not sure if this is worth the effort.

...thoughts???

The combat is pretty mediocre... animations are very amateurish, etc.

But the story and setting is pretty interesting for short game plays.  Dunno, it feels VERY solo player to me. but i enjoy the story enough to play like twice a week. Definitely a curiosity game, not really worth investing alot of time however. IMO of course. But that seems to agree with ALOT of players so there is some validity. I got it for 10$ so i consider that worth it easy.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor AdelaidePosts: 549Member Uncommon

The game is well worth the purchase price (25% off on steam at the moment, and you can often get 50% off sale around the place).

Even if you only do one run through of the quests and ignore the end game content (which is improving) then you should walk away feeling satisfied that you have played an enjoyable game.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• elistrangeelistrange Louisville, KYPosts: 157Member
    Good game. The best storylines in gaming. The skill combinations are endless. However, it is a tough game. Do not think you are going to mindlessly blow through the content. 

Currently Play: ?
    Occasionally Play: Champions, Pirates of the Burning Sea, WOW, EVE ONLINE

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 uniondale, NYPosts: 346Member
    nope. better off looking for something else. only redeeming feature is you can get it for ten bucks.
  • AcidonAcidon Salem, ORPosts: 797Member
    Originally posted by Reehay     The combat is pretty mediocre... animations are very amateurish, etc.

So tired of seeing people say this.  For one thing (I am aware this is subjective, but it still floors me), the combat is very engaging and exciting.  Perhaps it depends on what weapons you use, I don't know, but I have tried them all.

And animations..  WTF media generation?  The animations are on par with what weapons you use.  Do you really stare at the animations while you're supposed to be engaged in gameplay?

I know.. I just don't get it.  Hell, I don't even play much any longer, but I still don't understand these complaints.  Be happy you weren't born in my era where all we had was text for gaming.  I guess that provides a very different perspective.

Playing: H1Z1, The Crew, Defiance, APB:Reloaded
    Mourning: World of Darkness, Vanguard, City of Heroes

My Humble MMO Blog:
    http://mmogasm.blogspot.com

Free, Clean & Safe Quality of Life Software:
    http://www.acidonsolutions.com

• healboothealboot key west, FLPosts: 83Member Uncommon
    It is totally worth checking out, I would love to relive that game I just got burnt out Beta testing it and once it went live I ran into an end game gear grind that I swore off in 2006 and the W game. But I totally recommend you try it for your self
  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Most stiff, boring gameplay in a AAA MMO that I've ever played, but if it's worth less than a full priced MMO to you, it's on sale on Steam right now.  Better hurry.
  • besteverbestever prescott, AZPosts: 732Member
    Originally posted by WhiteCross

...thoughts???

Its only 14.99$ on steam so can't hurt.

• faiyofaiyo |||COL|||1, TNPosts: 123Member
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    nope. better off looking for something else. only redeeming feature is you can get it for ten bucks.

Yes, they should totally listen to bitter post uninstallation bashing with no opinion stated whatsoever.

• flizzerflizzer Manchester, NHPosts: 1,550Member Uncommon
    I am not currently playing but would say it is definitely  worth it.  Currently still playing GW2 and loving it. I was playing the Secret World around the time they went b2p with some fellow GW2 guildies.  I was the only one who actually liked the game despite lackluster combat.  The others went back to GW2. I still say the game is worth checking out and be prepared for some awesome story and lore even if the combat is lacking. 
  • JaedorJaedor Denver, COPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon

TSW is an awesome game if you are looking for something a little different. Definitely worth the time.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Posts: 981Member Uncommon

TSW is one of the better MMO's on the market right now.  So many gamers are always complaining against cookie cutter, hand-holding, easy-peasy WOW clones, and when a developer finally develops an MMO which is engaging, challenging, and innovative, they run away from it.

While the combat animations do not compare with some of the ARPGs on the market right now, it is definitely serviceable and once you get used to it, it is enjoyable.  What it lacks in combat animation fluidity, it more than makes up for in complexity and depth.  There is very little doubt in my mind that most of the negativity surrounding TSW is due to its difficulty of play.  This game has a steep learning curve that only those players possessing of perseverance will conquer.  It took me a couple of weeks before I took to it because initially I simply just did not want to deal with the learning curve.  But I stuck to it, and I am glad I did.

TBH, I am of the sincere opinion that if TSW was looking for a large player base, they difinitely did themselves an injustice by developing a game with such complexity.  By doing so, they assured themselves of a niche gaming player base.  If for nothing else though, one good thing that did materialize as a result is that you can rest assured that you will not find the "WOW type kiddies" in TSW.  It is much too difficulty and requires too much patience in game play for those players wanting to mindlessly "hack and slash" and race to end game.  You know the type, the ones who don't read mission narratives or care for immersion or lore. 

In short, it is definitely an MMORPG geared for adult gamers who are not afraid to immerse themselves in engaging and challenging content.

• markh777markh777 Rutland, VTPosts: 122Member Uncommon
    This is a game to sip on like a damn good whisky or cognac......find a cabal (guild) and just take it all in...enjoy the eeriness of your surrounding but too much cause things will creep up on ya...there is no real grind you HAVE to do unless ya want too....ranged is nice but I prefer blades/fist/hammer to be up close and personal to my potential enemies...if ya find a decent cabal the dungeons are amazing and must be taken carefully with a knowleged player so you know what to do..I have played alot of mmo's but for now funcom has redeemed itself after being screwed with Anarchy Onlines endless promises and AoC's ...well ya get me..get it and enjoy..its not yer common type of MMO
  • DocBrodyDocBrody EldridgePosts: 1,820Member
    go grab it on steam summer sale right now 50 percent off, fantastic MMO I'm loving it, and there is something coming up... mysterious dark winged creature flying in Agartha..hmm
  • MargulisMargulis Glendale, AZPosts: 1,614Member
    Best mmo that has come out in years in my opinion.