Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Q&A Paul Sage - Elder Scrolls Online

ZOS_SageZOS_Sage Creative Director (ESO)Member Posts: 35

Hello everyone,

My name is Paul Sage, and I'm the Creative Director for Elder Scrolls Online. I will be doing my best to answer your questions about Elder Scrolls Online. I won't be able to answer questions about the business model or the exact release date of the game. I just wanted to throw that out there so no one is upset if I don't answer that question. I'm also not the world's fastest typist, so my answers may be shorter so I can get to more questions.

Enough caveats! I'm glad to be here, and I'd like to thank the MMORPG group and they're community for inviting me. Let's get this thing rolling.

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to come here and answer questions.

There seems to have been a lot of talk lately about whether ESO is a real MMO prompted by some statements you guys made last month about it being playable as a single player experience. I've been following the development of the game closely for several months and I don't see any changes in the design of the game.

Can you explain why the shift in emphasis on how you describe the game?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GreatArchitectGreatArchitect Member Posts: 6
    Question: Can PLAYER created guilds have members from all alliances in it?

Thank You,
    Defatank
    Great Architect Admin

• ActoshActosh Member Posts: 2
    Do you have a System ingame that will allow me to play with friends/guild mates even if there lvl is below mine ( I mean in PvE ). For Example like the Mentoring System in Rift where you can adjust your own lvl to play low lvl dungeons/quests with your friend without becoming to powerfull for that content or does the area where your in auto-adjust your lvl like in gw2? Sorry for any spelling mistake. Greetz from Germany :)
  • vFadeToBlackvvFadeToBlackv Member Posts: 1
    Thank you very much for being here.  I am dying to know more about how player to player trading works in ESO?  How will I buy, sell, or trade with other players?
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    QUESTION:
    Will there be some kind of arena (like that in Oblivion) where I can challenge other players or at least NPCs to a duel, with perhaps the option of staking?

Thanks for doing this Paul! And nice name by the way (it's mine too)

• silentfury007silentfury007 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Will I be able to leave the starter zone immediately upon starting a new game, or must I complete certain quests before I will be allowed to leave?
  • elderscrollfanelderscrollfan Member Posts: 2
    can we rejoin an allaince we alrdy beat (if i start in ebon heart then join the queen can i rejion ebon heart for a more difficult play through.
  • ESO-PS4ESO-PS4 Member Posts: 3

- Colothing/Appearance -

1.Will our equipt gear forced to be our clothing or will we be able to wear anything we want and have the gears only represent stats.

I dont want to be forced to wear pieces of clothing I dont want, I want to wear custom outits of my choosing.

2.Will clothing be like skyrim where an armor set is created for your whole body or will the clothing be seperate for each body part.

The former is too restricting and hinders character customization immensely  

Thank you

• Lagunaza66Lagunaza66 Member Posts: 1

Hi Paul, big fan!

My question is..

Is healing in TESO limited to two paths?

You have stated that the 4 classes are just templates and starting point as there are loads of skill trees to follow and shape a character to fit our playing styles. However as a healer, as far as the information has been released, are there only 2 Healing skill paths at launch, The Templars healing path, and the Restoration Staff path. Is this not a very limited choice for healers? Either being forced to pick a Templar, or only having the option of one weapon, the Restoration Staff.

Will there be any other healing paths that have not been unannonced? 

Will the Restoration Staff have different attunments, like the Destruction Staff having Fire, Lightning and Frost? 

As it currently stands, if I was to play either a Sorcerer, Nightblade or Dragon Knight, is the only option I have to be a viable group healer, the Restoration Staff path? 

Thanks

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

Hiya Paul,

1) I for one do not use anything that even resembles Facebook or Twitter.  Any chance you could do some contests in normal forums?

2) Any chance to purchase a litho of the Frey that is signed by all the developers?

3) Can I have a Beta invite? :D

Thanks.

Ratero.

• LlogweyLlogwey Member Posts: 2

Question : 

You mentionned in a german interview that you could choose 5 guilds per player acount, but you did not say how many characters we could create for a single acount . Could you please tell us the max limit of characters we can create?

Thanks in advance

Llogwey, a french fan :)

• WrehnWrehn Member Posts: 6

How does the mega server actually work as far as intelligently assigning channels? Do we fill out a preference form, or link our facebook account?

Tell us more about the end game, cyrodil, and instanced public dungeons. I just wanted to know what's in store.

• ZOS_SageZOS_Sage Creative Director (ESO)Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Iselin

Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to come here and answer questions.

There seems to have been a lot of talk lately about whether ESO is a real MMO prompted by some statements you guys made last month about it being playable as a single player experience. I've been following the development of the game closely for several months and I don't see any changes in the design of the game.

Can you explain why the shift in emphasis on how you describe the game?

I think this has to do with how we approach development. We were worried that the term MMO had become synonymous with a certain type of game with an almost exact set of rules. That was definitely a perception we felt, even internally. But we really wanted to be true to our IP first, and still have this amazing social game with thousands of players online. When I started on UO, MMO was a new term and there weren't limits on it. We don't dislike the term or the association, we love it. We just want to make sure people aren't expecting it to be a clone of certain games.

• NyrthaelNyrthael Member Posts: 1

Hey, Paul :)

Can you tell us an example of a feedback received during beta-testing? What people liked and what is their standing to the game?

-Quint

• trippetrippe Member Posts: 1
    what kind of collision system will be in the game? do I move through my friends while playing, can they push me, or can members of my faction block my way?
  • AketiumAketium Member UncommonPosts: 2
    How does respawn time of resources, locked chest and mobs work in public dungeons? Is it possible to camp bosses (if there are any)?
  • TalynTalyn Member UncommonPosts: 587

ESO appears to have "traditional MMO" leveling so how will exploration work out? In Skyrim I can pretty much wander everywhere and find relevant "content" to do. In ESO are we limited to level-bracketed zones where once we out-level an area it becomes irrelevant in terms of both exploration (and/or "immersion") and character advancement?

Also in PvE can we freely help other players cooperatively or if they had already tagged a mob will they take an XP penalty because someone else helped them?

• RatzcastRatzcast Member Posts: 1

Hello Mr Sage,

Thanks for taking your time here.

Heres my question.

In other MMOs we were allowed to duel with our own faction members to practice. Will we be able to duel in the pve and pvp zones?

Thank you.

• MJ_BrutusMJ_Brutus Member Posts: 1

Hey Paul,

The game looks great! Im excited to delve into the world and see what is in store for me and my friends.

My concern/question is this:

In every MMORPG and even in Skyrim mages seem to eventually take a backseat to more damage dealing classes. With the exception of AoE attacks mages never seem to get their opportunity to shine, especially in 1v1 combat scenarios. What mechanics do you have in place to ensure classes stay balanced through the entire leveling process and in PvP. Are there ways that mages can specialize in 1v1 combat scenarios?

Thanks Paul

- Zach, AkA MJ Brutus

• AdiixAdiix Member Posts: 3

Hi Paul, 

Can you affirm that a new wave of beta invitation will be launch until next week?

Thanks!

• manio22manio22 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Will it be a model where a class can change spec "on the fly" during an instance or a raid, to fit various roles?

I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it
    --Voltaire

• humanoverclockhumanoverclock Member Posts: 2

Hell Paul, thank you for being here for the fans!  

My Question is:  Are healing AOE’s and Cones the only healing abilities in the game?

• PigScreamPigScream Member Posts: 1

Hey there! 

I know that there will be open dungeons, world boss and explorer adventures (that we don't know exactly how they will work) as raid contents, but these contents are OPEN (btw I don't know if explorer adventures will be open too) so anyone can join them. With that being said, I'd like to know if there will be some instanced raid (10+ players) to do, for exemple, only with guild mates.

Thank you.

• SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Question. What level of customization will be allowed with crafting beyond additives. Will there be naming, Crafters mark or colourization
  • TheMostManlyManTheMostManlyMan Member Posts: 2

Thank you so much for doing a Q&A. 

More to the point, I was looking up the combat system (looking for how Stamina will effect that etc.) and I saw something about a "soft lock", could you clarify just what that means? 

Thanks.

~ClenchMasterFlex

This discussion has been closed.