Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think the pricing model will cause this game to fail. If F2P, it would do well.

13»

Comments

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    OP, I disagree 100%.  Honestly, I think that the F2P style of MMOs is a trend that will die off over time.
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    I so love that SE and Naoki Yoshida sticks to the "per month" modell. And i rly hope that all the "oh-its-free-now-its-good-lets-play-it-for-a-month-after-that-im-gone" freebie fuckers stay outside. ANd when it comes to the game itself, the quality is there, the content as well. Let's see how long the locusts need this time. But as it seems "en vouge" to cry already before a game goes live.....we will see.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Originally posted by gxgunny

For something that does not want to be the next WoW, the game sure does play just like WoW and not like any Final Fantasy console game.  It is just like playing WoW with a Final Fantasy setting.  Yeah, there are some things different like the job system, but the core game is very similar.  It has plenty of those kill 10 rats quests common in most mmos.  With that being said, what makes you think the game will survive in a sub only model and will not eventually go F2P like other WoW clones in the past?

Lol wat?  Have you played any FF games? Being 39 and having played video games since well a long long time lol I must say FFXIVARR feel very much like a traditonal FF game minus being turn based and that inlcudes the go kill ten rats and all.

I think the only FF game that I have played that didn't really feel like FF was FFXIII. If anyone is a clone it WoW being  clone to numerous other games it ripped off.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I know this sounds crazy, but not all mmo developers need 10 million people playing. FFXI never went f2p, has been going for 11+ years now, and has a small but loyal playerbase that keeps the game running.

Pretty much this. I can't see why they would make it F2P aka cash shop unless it's another SW:TOR

Also, the less mmo-tourists the better, but that is just my opinion :)

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• BlackaftermathBlackaftermath Member Posts: 32
    I completely agree. i would be less interested if it were F2P
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Originally posted by BrooksTech
    OP, I disagree 100%.  Honestly, I think that the F2P style of MMOs is a trend that will die off over time.

I agree I think unless there is some drastic changes in f2p quality this trend will kill itself like a parasite that kills off it's host.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• gxgunnygxgunny Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by BrooksTech

Funny you say that because it is the opposite of what is happening.  Most of these games started as Sub games and did not survive, but now they are F2P and almost doubling profits and some of them are even keeping the subs they had. Also, most of the new mmos have this model with a few exceptions  These companies are in this to make money and they will all eventually realize the F2P model is more profitable.  Sony has already learned this.  It is just a matter of time before other companies do the same.  I actually enjoy the hybrid model.  I want to try the game for a month or so and see if It is good enough to warrant a sub.   

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    There are a;ready open threads on the payment system.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

Originally posted by Amana

There are?  Must be a hot topic.  I guess I am the only person that does not want to see this game fail.

Originally posted by Amana

There are?  Guess I am not the only person that does not want this game to fail.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I have played the beta and they really did a wonderful job with this game, it has really good graphics, almost no lag, great class / job system and has everything final fantasy player would want including the long lost fanfare when you gain levels,etc.  However, the play mechanics of the game are very similar to any other mmo, kill 10 rats,etc.   I think this game would be dead after 2 months or so if it does not adapt the F2P model.   Why not create a F2P model with the sub option?   I just think the huge amount of players you get by making mmos F2P keeps the game healthy.    There are other F2P titles like this game like Rift so why would I want to spend money on a sub if the games are similar?  Yes and I am aware that there are successful sub games like WoW and Eve so no need to bring that up.

Originally posted by Raxeon

actully if it goes ftp it will lose most of its current players so shrugs it only needs like 500k subs to be making money on it ( ive heard they would be happy with at least this)

hell ffxi is sitll making profit at like 350k subs

Originally posted by Raxeon

actully if it goes ftp it will lose most of its current players so shrugs it only needs like 500k subs to be making money on it ( ive heard they would be happy with at least this)

hell ffxi is sitll making profit at like 350k subs

They could keep the sub model if players want it, but add F2P for players that don't.  Options are good.  They just need to have a great cash shop with fair prices.

I have not been shy in promoting payment models and most especially options (while also wanting a new payment model a great deal to move things along) in the past.  In fact, I almost always defend payment models for the people who enjoy a particular one; if a decision is made, then there is a group that will enjoy it and those who keep on complaining or not giving it a chance based on that are just making forums a miserable place for others as opposed to a group of players collectively joining in a specified area to talk about a game they may enjoy.  But here I must do the same, in that the subscription model is so lacking in options for those who want it that this may be the last we see of it.

Post one:  So you enjoy the game and find it fun but are not willing to skip lunch one day just to play it for a month?  I will disregard some comments made that indicate little time was spent actually playing and simply state that there is no way one can tell if it will be "worth a sub" until we've seen the end game and the amount of content that will be present every three months with their "huge" updates to the storyline, systems and new features.  Though why in fact should the game go F2P?  All I see wherever I go is that the game is fun and enjoyable; there is a place for all types of sub payment models and people whining on the official beta forums and here are starting to get tiresome.  Indeed, I miss the days when we just took games for what they were and played them for what they are without demanding things in turn.  There are pros and cons to nearly every decision and want, but disrespecting that and trying to get things changed is often a selfish desire as that makes things less appealing to others who may have accepted or even liked what was asked to be changed.  Seeing the same posts by the very minor vocal minority is stressing in various ways, and I'm tired of seeing it on any forum that is visited.

Post two:  This seems to be true as whenever there were posts like this on the FFXIV forums, it had maybe 12 likes and 500 dislikes instantly.  From what I've read in all of these posts, people find it a great game but are unwilling to pay for it.  They just want it free.  Most seem just to be cheap and want others to pick up the bill, and allow the barrier for entry to be destroyed completely.  While I would enjoy the game being B2P (I do think it's a nice mix of barrier and freedom to play with friends), this isn't the case and the only people I see trying to push F2P are ones who just want something for free without paying for it.  While there is a large enough following for F2P that honestly want to play and partaking in the cash shop to support the developer, whenever a P2P crops up we see the freebies come around and just want it changed for them.  Those who would support the game in F2P would do so with a monthly fee (and possibly only want F2P in the past so they can convince more of their own friends to play), so they likely wouldn't argue for something that others may possibly want when there are other options to play with their friends. 

Post Three:  Options are great until they start to step on the feet of other people.  It all depends on how this would be set up, but as a whole the choice has already been made and the game is set to launch soon enough.  In my opinion we didn't need another one of these posts; lately they just seem like a desperate plea to get something for free with no intents of paying for it to support the company.  Perhaps if they had B2P servers and P2P servers, but then there will be segregation and separation of friends; people sometimes take the cheapest offer and, again, more options will have to be made to sustain and rectify this.  While I do encourage something like this be done, it takes a lot of research and time -- more so than just a month -- to do it correctly.  Ways for P2P to play with their B2P friends will be needed and many things will need be forgiven on both sides.  I'm not sure if we're mature enough as a community to accept change yet; perhaps when the console players enter the fray we will be collectively, as they represent new blood and not a fracture faction of vets who complain about the slightest thing without taking a game for what it is and just enjoying it from that. 

Most have yet to realize there is no perfect game for them.  It's possibly why most simply don't find "that game" and that they are forever looking.  Standards are too high and compromises needed to be made before someone can truly be happy with something.  Though honestly, the small fee of $15 a month is nothing if one intended on supporting the game in the first place.  This I say despite having dozens of posts stating that I despise the P2P model simply because I wasted $4,000 on World of Warcraft over the past eight years in subs, expansions, several accounts and extra services.  It can feel like renting furniture for a time, sure.  When I've spent $4,000 on a game I definitely think I've supported it enough and would like it to lack a monthly fee.  Though when a game comes along where I do want to support them -- or feel they have done good by me and deserve said support -- them I want to support them and I would like others to as well.  Honestly, for those who intend to support the game $15 is probably the cheapest way to go.  In fact, I've always been fond of lifetime subscriptions as it means I support the game and then don't have to worry about the darn potential of paying thousands for a single game.  I don't mind paying hundreds for a single game -- money is not the issue -- but I really do feel cheapened whenever I pay $4,000 and they just keep on asking for more.  But I digress, it is what it is and I fully support the model for now.  Perhaps I will quit when I think I've supported them enough.  Perhaps others will as well.  Maybe then it will become free irregardless of what both sides are saying.  But for now this is a tired old debate that, in my opinion, needs to stop.

In short, while B2P and F2P may be the future, when a game comes along that wants to sport the P2P we shouldn't just keep on flooding each and every forums (especially in this case with it being a Japanese company; they won't be perusing anything but the official site, where this idea is largely unpopular) just saying rhetoric.  If one finds the game enjoyable enough, then they should sub for it.  The sub isn't costly if one intended on supporting the game in the first place, and it would cause less overall friction on the forums.  I do realize this isn't a realistic thing to say in all aspects, that it is a fantasy that goes against human nature, but at the same time I'm sure many would agree.  Let people have their own devices, build their own sandcastles, without someone coming along to try and attempt to kick it down.  P2P is a in fact a rare breed; there may indeed be reasons as to why it is.  Though as a whole, it does have a following and despite it not being as large as others, we should respect that.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
This discussion has been closed.